Asmus Toys: Nazgûl

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch.... I want this, but with Batman, Robin, Han, Luke, Gandalf, Tauntauns and the Probe Droid my 2014 might be maxed out already. :(
I'm in the same boat (down for all the Star Wars stuff on your list, plus a couple other things from RoboCop and Terminator). Damn, this hobby is ruthless on one's wallet. I think I'll have to figure out a way to make at least one horse with rider work, though. It'll make for a very nice display and I think once they sell out they will be very difficult to get.

Hmm, I'm guessing that's a bit ambitious. I wouldn't expect that kind of extreme articulation, especially not without stressing the joints or rubbing off the faux horse hair sheen they seem to have developed for this figure. I'm thinking poses will need to be a bit more gentle than that but I'm sure Asmus will have the definitive answer. I'd be amazed if their horse could replicate that, though.

I think it's safe to assume now that Asmus only bought the license to do Return of the King figures. I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, we never see the ringwraiths on their steeds in ROTK, so am i assuming that they had to call it Return of the king Nazgul and steed in order to stay within the bounds of their license. Then again, you know what they say about assuming.

As long as Ringwraiths are flying around on Fell Beasts I guess it counts.

That said, didn't Asmus say that included in the two-pack would be the standard Nazgul sword? The one with the barbwire-like style? I hope so, I'd like my single Nazgul on steed to be the first Nazgul we see in FOTR... the one who first speaks... the second in command after Witch-King...

Khamul.

Well exactly, Nazgul are in ROTK, but the steeds aren't, so they had to (I assume they had to) specify they were ROTK Nazgul. If I'm right, this makes a Saruman or Lurtz unlikely. Then again they did say they wanted to do Azog and Uruk-Hai down the line, so I guess they are planning to expand their license.

Its hard to imagine a single piece that would better represent the world of LOTR than Nazgul on his Steed.

I agree - for me the only other LOTR-in-a-single-piece figure would be Gandalf the Grey, though perhaps Gollum can stake a claim there too.

I can't afford to buy into the whole line, so this release is perfect for me.

Well exactly, Nazgul are in ROTK, but the steeds aren't, so they had to (I assume they had to) specify they were ROTK Nazgul. If I'm right, this makes a Saruman or Lurtz unlikely. Then again they did say they wanted to do Azog and Uruk-Hai down the line, so I guess they are planning to expand their license.

But they said they are making Saruman and Lurtz. Saruman this year. Saruman was in ROTK anyway.

Not sure why this is under the ROTK heading... doesn't seem to matter or limit what Asmus can do.

But they said they are making Saruman and Lurtz. Saruman this year. Saruman was in ROTK anyway.

Not sure why this is under the ROTK heading... doesn't seem to matter or limit what Asmus can do.

Oh yeah, forgot he was in the beginning of the extended edition. Lurtz wasn't though. I could be wrong about their license, I just find it weird that it specifies Return of the King Nazgul. Seems to be no other reason for that really. I suspected their license was only for ROTK, or that they atleast preferred to focus on it, because of the decisions to do Gothmog and Guritz.

Yeah, I thought they would change to the various films depending on the character. Maybe they just don't have the FOTR logo yet for graphics.

I definitely want this, Saruman and Lurtz for the first film. A Sauron would be crazy as would a Balrog... but if you can make Hulk... :)

Hmm. I doubt they only got the license for one movie. (I'm not sure it would even be available like that.) My guess is that it's just an oversight. We've seen Asmus have some issues with English translations and copy editing before.

Might be, but you better believe that licenses are available for individual movies. Everything is licensed down to very fine details (for example NECA can buy the marvel 18" license, but not the 12" license, which is different than buying a 6" license, a 3.75" license). I'm sure a company can buy a ubiquitous LOTR movie license, but it would cost much more than getting the license for a single movie, which would make more sense for a small company like Asmus. Buy the license for one movie, get in the market and make their mark before ponying up for the other movie licenses.

You're absolutely right, licenses are regularly sliced and diced into ultra specific categories. Especially when it comes to the category of collectible (1/6, busts, t-shirts, bobble-heads, etc.) I actually work in the legal department of a "major media company" and I've seen these kinds of license agreements up close and personal.

But in this case, my guess is, it's unlikely that NL/WB licensed out 1/6 figures from only one of those movies. LOTR is generally treated as a single property when it comes to licensing these days. (In the early days, they were separated more because all three movies hadn't come out yet.)

If they wanted to do a smaller, cheaper license, it's somewhat more likely that they'd just limit the number of figures they could make, rather than limit the movie they could be from.

I don't have any inside info on this specific contract, but that's my guess.

Last edited:
Should i be worried with the body beneath the cloak? Will it hold the weapons properly? I have 0 experience handling an Asmus Toy. A little feedback will be welcome :)

^^ Thanks ! I will wait then for some news and reviews before placing my order.

They said Aragorn would be in his strider fellowship costume so they seem to have them all. It's probably just because all the others so far where rotk

^^ Thanks ! I will wait then for some news and reviews before placing my order.
I think either Gandalf or Guritz will have the new body so we should know how it is before the Nazgul hits. If you want this though I would be keeping a close watch on it. Of all the LOTR figures Asmus is releasing I think this one could be the one to sell out.

ETA After checking the specs on this figure on the Asmus website it says it will have the Kaustik Plastik body that is supposed to be better than the one on The Witch King.

Last edited:
how's the leather like on asmus' figures ? are they easy to crack like hot toys'?

They said Aragorn would be in his strider fellowship costume so they seem to have them all. It's probably just because all the others so far where rotk

That's to bad, as that is the same garb the Sideshow sixth scale figure was in. I was hoping for his Amon Hen garb, with Narsil as an extra accessory to replicate his Paths of the Dead look. My second choice would have been his Black Gates garb.

Back