Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not sold on these guys sadly. I know I'll have to pick them up eventually but I wish they at least came with their daggers and both had pipes so the package didn't seem so 'slim'...

Capes look a bit thin. I'm not 100% happy with the likenesses, especially Pippin's, but its's the best we have for these characters. And yes, the V2s capture the characters better, so there's that. For a Chinese company, Asmus seems very invested in making better LOTR figures, so good on them, and good for us.

Are these partial rubber bodies - like, is there an ankle joint in there? I am a bit worried about longevity.
The feet for the version one hobbits were a hard sculpt (not rubber) with no ankle pivot, not great for articulation but more pleasing on the eye and no issues with longevity.

Capes look a bit thin. I'm not 100% happy with the likenesses, especially Pippin's, but its's the best we have for these characters. And yes, the V2s capture the characters better, so there's that. For a Chinese company, Asmus seems very invested in making better LOTR figures, so good on them, and good for us.

Are these partial rubber bodies - like, is there an ankle joint in there? I am a bit worried about longevity.

No ankle joints. No rubber. It hurts a little in the articulation/posing department, but they look pretty great.

Why does Pippin have a purple cloak?
Because he wore one in Fellowship of the Ring. Image_3_-_Hobbits.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Surely not. That wouldn't fit with the plan of sticking it to those who bought v1s.

Sorry for the long post. I normally try to keep my comments short but .....

I do not get that comment. I do not think they are sticking it to us. The fact that they are letting us just buy the heads & cloaks instead of having to buy the entire figure is a big service to those of us that bought the first figures. They sure did t have to offer expansion packs. I cannot think of any other company doing it. Sideshow didn’t do it with their second Darth Maul and Hot Toys did not do it with any of their Jokers, Batmans or Avengers. Also I believe what made the whole 2.0 possible was that 1.0 sold out and there still seemed to be enough demand to do a second run. They could have phoned it in and just done a second run of the same figures and toned down the tan color on the sculpts but instead they went with new head sculpts and new cloaks that we have been asking for and to top it all off they recognized that asking their buyers to buy another entire figure for a head sculpt and cloak was not fan friendly so they offered a cheaper route to get it. For the life of me I cannot see how this is sticking it to us. I think one could argue the Boromir stituation where you have to buy two complete figures if you cannot decide wether you want rooted or sculpted is sticking it to the collectors but Asmus has already said they are looking at offering the sculpts separately so again for me personally I do not see it as sticking it to me.

Sorry, just feeling snarky today. That said, I don't like that an improved v2 is released back to back with the v1 now for 4 figures. And while I do appreciate that they are releasing expansion packs for most of the new pieces added to the figure it's an additional $145 for all 4 packs that's not particularly welcome. If these improvements didn't come immediately after the first version was released I'd feel less salty about it.

I get that and can relate. Hopefully they continue to get better and do not need to do 2.0s all the time. I would rather have 2.0s come out as different versions like a Helms Deep Aragorn or a Lady of Rohan Eowyn.

My biggest frustration with the hobbits now though is that they do not have the Weathertop swords.

Don't worry, a "super slim" version 3 will be out in a few months with the Weathertop swords, heads with real hair and new environment stands. :lol

Don't worry, a "super slim" version 3 will be out in a few months with the Weathertop swords, heads with real hair and new environment stands. :lol

Funny, but this is exactly why I'm on the fence about picking these guys up. The original releases were 'slim' to begin with yet the new slim Frodo and Sam come with all their essential gear. I get that the previous release was the post Lothlorien attire but not putting the Weathertop swords in with these is a shame!

Has anyone who preordered with Asmus gotten an invoice yet? They both show on the site as 'available now....' I have some weird issues going on with Paypal constantly reviewing my transactions with Asmus (of course, not with anyone else), so I'm just checking.

Back