Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting up your pics, Wor-Gar. They've tipped me over the edge and this king will be my next figure for sure.

Question: Does the gray undershirt have any detailing for an Amon Hen set up or is it pretty plain? I was planning on going for a Strider look (no brooch, gauntlets, etc) but I watched that scene last night and it's so good. The moment when he leaves Frodo and rounds the corner on all those Uruks gives me man-chills.

Also (aside), whatever happened to that mixed media gloved hand from the proto? I really liked that guy.

That's what I wanted to do as well, but the gray shirt doesn't have any detailing.

Yes, the gray undershirt is very plain. Though, fully dressed, you only see a bit of the collar. Pick up the ACI shirt loose if you want to have him undressed; the ACI shirt has some wonderful detail (ribbing on the biceps).

The gloves are all hard plastic -- I don't remember the "real gloves" on the proto but that would have been nice. The gloved hand is just OK; no paint texture in any way.

Yes, ACI went all out on many of the hidden details. With that kind of care and cost, I wonder why they chose simple molded boots though?

I do think you will like the figure though, Keegan. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the gray undershirt is very plain. Though, fully dressed, you only see a bit of the collar. Pick up the ACI shirt loose if you want to have him undressed; the ACI shirt has some wonderful detail (ribbing on the biceps).

The gloves are all hard plastic -- I don't remember the "real gloves" on the proto but that would have been nice. The gloved hand is just OK; no paint texture in any way.

Yes, ACI went all out on many of the hidden details. With that kind of care and cost, I wonder why they chose simple molded boots though?

I do think you will like the figure though, Keegan. Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I think I might like ACI's cloak better as well, so I'm trying to keep my eyes open for those.

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you tried to "cut" the hair, just to give the hair slightly more style. I don't dare to use it on the main head so I use it on the "screaming" head instead. Using hp for pics... Wondering how you all use the screaming head. :)
20151206_204901-1.jpg
20151206_205157-1.jpg
20151206_205136-1.jpg
20151206_204516-1.jpg
20151206_204256-1.jpg

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you tried to "cut" the hair, just to give the hair slightly more style. I don't dare to use it on the main head so I use it on the "screaming" head instead. Using hp for pics... Wondering how you all use the screaming head. :)
View attachment 227512
View attachment 227513
View attachment 227511
View attachment 227514
View attachment 227515
Wow I don't remember the screaming head looking that good. Nice work

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks Mrmasterminh for your kind comments, I was thinking of how to achieve the wavy look with the screaming head when I decide to "cut" the hair vertically to achieve it. Been following this forum for further improvement to this nice figure. :)

Somebody should sculpt a new hairpiece for this figure, it really is a very poorly sculpted bit of hair...

I'm actually kind of surprised nobody has done it already. Maybe once more people get the figure in hand ...

He looks like a really nice figure now. Really looking forward to getting mine. But I think with a different hair sculpt, he could just be an outstanding one.

Maybe a commission could be started in the customs threads? Maybe a pack of a couple of different interchangeable looks? Windblown, wet, clean?

Last edited:
Just got another bunch of e-mails from Sideshow pushing back all the Asmus figures again. Saruman & Aragorn to "Jan-Feb" and Bard, Tauriel and Mouth to "Feb-Mar". :monkey2

Maybe a commission could be started in the customs threads? Maybe a pack of a couple of different interchangeable looks? Windblown, wet, clean?

Yes, but not just for the hair, but for the whole head. I like the Asmus sculpt fine but I'm still waiting for a sculpt that for me is Aragorn through and through.

Pretty amazing when BBTS gets stuff before Sideshow. I bet they like that.

I thought that was impossible? :lol

I can't remember what thread it was in, but Asmus stated that Sideshow placed their orders last after all the other retailers, so they are getting the figures last.

Finally got some free time to futz Aragorn.

First time swapping hands - snap!

DSC_0107.JPG

Then took a closer look at his sword while posing -

DSC_0108.JPG

While I still think the headsculpt bests the ACI figure, QC is seriously lacking.

Take from this what you will....I know my experience may not be everyone's.

EDIT -

Within an hour of messaging Asmus with my pics, I received a response and request for my address to send a new sword and pegs. Quite impressed with that response when I've also dumped hundreds into DC Collectibles Batman Animated line and have never heard back from them about the multiple breaks in figure joints I've experienced.

Cautiously optimistic. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got some free time to futz Aragorn.

First time swapping hands - snap!

View attachment 229341

Then took a closer look at his sword while posing -

View attachment 229342

While I still think the headsculpt bests the ACI figure, QC is seriously lacking.

Take from this what you will....I know my experience may not be everyone's.

EDIT -

Within an hour of messaging Asmus with my pics, I received a response and request for my address to send a new sword and pegs. Quite impressed with that response when I've also dumped hundreds into DC Collectibles Batman Animated line and have never heard back from them about the multiple breaks in figure joints I've experienced.

Cautiously optimistic. :)

While Asmus may lack great QC they sure make up for it by quickly replying and replacing default/broken items. I've had more than one positive experience with them fixing issues.

Back