Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks for checking... after a few years it's hard to keep all of these things straight :lol

No worries. I just remember being so shocked by the difference that I asked him and I believe he said he just rearranged the hair and I was shocked. It was thing I ever got customized/repainted.

Yep Darren didn't resculpt the Aragorn head. I asked him that way back when he gave me pointers on painting (2008 I think?). It's all just really really good paint work :thud:

Aside from the eyes and forehead that have already been mentioned, I also think the nose itself needs a lot of work. Viggo has a pretty big nose IRL and the one on the figure isn't nearly wide enough. Its hard to get an idea of the length as well without a side shot of the figure.

look back a few pages and you'll see an updated sculpt :wink1: Asmus has also said they have been updating it again since the previous update

Cool, I'll need to file that back into the mental vault for future reference :lol

So with that being said, the original sculpt is a good one... maybe a bit idealized and of course the factory paint was just horrid.

Yep apparently :lol from following him, I've noticed Darren knows a lot of tricks with paint and can paint in missing sculpt details and almost make them look like they're part of the sculpt. I remember he repainted a Medicom X3 Wolverine and added in more hair to the bangs and it looked sculpted but it was just done with multiple layers of paint. I think he did the same on the mustache of a jack sparrow he painted but not sure on that one.

I'm excited to see the full Aragorn costume. Also, I agree with the criticisms. It's a good starting point. The things that initially stood out to me were the oversized forehead and cheek bones. However, I also agree that the eyes were too close together bad the nose isn't very accurate. Asmus will listen to the collectors that want this figure. I think this figure will follow a line of quality I haven't seen for lord of the rings characters.

IMG_20140604_153659.jpg

Cheek bones too pronounced, need shaving down. And maybe eyes are too close together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest sculpt update looks great!

Looking at photos of Viggo as Aragorn, I actually think the sculpt's hairline is only slightly too high and would be resolved if/when bangs are sculpted in.

I just did a quick image search and Viggo actually has a high hairline.

Aragorn_vigil_from_connnie_bailey_a.jpg

viggo-mortensen-getty.jpg

Hmmmmmm... Sorry, but I am not seeing anything that would persuade me to replace my SSC Aragorn.

Looks better but could still be tweeked. The left eye to me seems great. The right one looks closer to the nose than the left and slightly bigger. I know faces are not symmetrical but seems off to me. Getting nit picky here but in most pictures I see his hair is parted in center versus here where the part is to the left. Still, much better than the original. Can't wait for full reveal.

ETA I keep going back to look at it. It is so much better and is really close. If you are still looking for constructive criticism I posted my thoughts. If this is the final sculpt though, I personally am pretty happy with it.

Okay, maybe the eyes are good after seeing that pic of viggo. But the cheeks def need some shaving down. Only then I might feel better about selling my custom for this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nostrils need to be larger. Right now the nose has a pinched look.

As some people said it's constructive criticism and not "Asmus bashing" from armchair sculptors. After all, we are all concerned since we want to buy this figure and we want it to be the best figure possible. From this point of view I thank Asmus for sharing their work with us on this forum and I give them great credit for that.

Now about this new sculpt, I still think there is a big issue with the forehead wich is still way too high. Little issue with the nose and the cheekbones. I also hope a bang (painted or sculpted) will be added on.
For the good points: eyes and mouth are spot on, paint app is great especially for the beard, and the clothing looks outstanding from what I can see.
Note that the picture is a little fuzzy, and has been modified in the area of the hair each side of the forehead.

Overall it's a very good work and could still benefit from small improvements. :)

Here is a quick proposal to visualize the suggestions that have been made by all. I think it looks better yet these are very small changes. :)

IMG_20140604_153659'.jpg

Back