Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sauron would be absolutely epic and a must buy for me. I haven't heard anything about Gandalf or guritz either. I passed on guritz, but have Gandalf on pre order.

Did you mean eowyn? I haven't heard much about arwen, but that would be awesome if they did her. I love live Tyler's character in lotr

I meant Eowyn, sorry, freudian slip ;)

Agreed!!!

Hold the phone... what shenanigans abounds? I'm confused over where we are with Aaragorn, or rather where Asmus is.

Here's the first pic...

View attachment 114416

Which looks exactly like the most recent pic...

View attachment 114417

But inbetween was this photo that everyone got excited about...

View attachment 114418

Fact is, the above is a photoshop amalgamation of an actual photograph of Strider and the sculpt laid over -- check the right eye closely. This is why this sculpt looks so close.

Here's the laid in pic...

View attachment 114420

So I really don't see the progress here.

Yep...Asmus' latest post with Aragorn sculpt looks exactly like the original they posted but with paint apps and better lighting. I'm not sure we are seeing any progress yet?

I'm not sure that we have. These things take time though. I'm sure they are working on it right now.

Well... hopefully. Im excited to see if they can pull off a real likeness to the character

Yeah, apart from the new photo being in color (and blurrier) I'm not really seeing any difference between those two. If that's what the final sculpt ends up looking like, I'm going to pass.

But ... if they can get to something that looks like that middle pic, it would be an instant buy for me.

I shall keep my crossables firmly crossed ...

As far as all things Aragorn go, in my opinion the very best Viggo as Aragorn sculpt we've ever gotten--the one that is actually the closest likeness--was the NECA 1/4 scale. Though it is far from perfect, it's the only one that was a close enough likeness for me to ever actually spend money on...
View attachment 114663

The main mistake Asmus seems to be making in my opinion is they aren't making the nose and nostrils wide enough. Also the eyes on the Asmus sculpt are too close together. The NECA 1/4 scale made neither of those mistakes and so is fairly close to Viggo; it just needs a better paint job.

The split that's above looks better. All they need to do is really look at the SS statue Trevor did to see what a spot on Viggo looks like.

I guess now all we can do is sit back and wait to see what asmus comes out with. I'm sure they are working on it right. Now.

As far as all things Aragorn go, in my opinion the very best Viggo as Aragorn sculpt we've ever gotten--the one that is actually the closest likeness--was the NECA 1/4 scale. Though it is far from perfect, it's the only one that was a close enough likeness for me to ever actually spend money on...
View attachment 114663

The main mistake Asmus seems to be making in my opinion is they aren't making the nose and nostrils wide enough. Also the eyes on the Asmus sculpt are too close together. The NECA 1/4 scale made neither of those mistakes and so is fairly close to Viggo; it just needs a better paint job.

See, this proves that Viggo's likeness is completely subjective. To me the best we've seen is Trevor's from Sideshow's 1/6 maquette:
Aragorn_as_Strider_portrait_by_trev_solo.jpg

See, this proves that Viggo's likeness is completely subjective. To me the best we've seen is Trevor's from Sideshow's 1/6 maquette:
View attachment 114730

I agree it can be subjective. However, I don't think at this point asmus looks like any of those sculpts. If they come back with a good sculpt I'll buy in a second. Otherwise I might pass or go with aci. I'd prefer to stay with asmus though.

The new photoshop image is almost SPOT on...I'd still like to see a few stray strands of hair across the forehead...it would diminish the SIZE of the forehead a bit I think. Great job YC!

It does? I'm just not seeing it. IMO, that whole sculpt needs to be redone. It's just waaaay too off.

Sorry.

Hold the phone... what shenanigans abounds? I'm confused over where we are with Aaragorn, or rather where Asmus is.

Here's the first pic...

View attachment 114416

Which looks exactly like the most recent pic...

View attachment 114417

But inbetween was this photo that everyone got excited about...

View attachment 114418

Fact is, the above is a photoshop amalgamation of an actual photograph of Strider and the sculpt laid over -- check the right eye closely. This is why this sculpt looks so close.

Here's the laid in pic...

View attachment 114420

So I really don't see the progress here.

yep I thought we were having huge progress with that "in between" sculpt so idk what's what now

As much as I hate to do it I'm going to have to backtrack and agree that the resemblance is not as good as it should be. I won't go as far and say it looks nothing like him but it should be much better. When they first showed Gandalf it was clear to see who it was supposed to be. What was shown was near Hot Toys quality. I just can't honestly feel the same about this sculpt. Seems like a step back. I think I was just excited to see the reveal that I was over looking the likeness issue. Hope the final reveal is much better.

Back