Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thanks for that Asmus! To participate in this forum, show your work-in-progress and invite all the fan criticism, which - let's face it - can sometimes be nitpicky to the highest degree, speaks volumes about your dedication and honesty. Viggo's face is notoriously difficult to get right and this Aragorn preview looks great already, and it might even turn out better. What can I say? Asmus, you rock!!!

Re: Asmus Toys : Argorn thread

Ugh. I'm sorry to say this but this looks nothing like Aragorn.

Head in general seems really deformed. Looks like Christopher Lambert.

Looks more like Rocky Dennis to me.

Although I agree it needs a bit of refinement, it's also the best Aragorn I've seen.

agreed way better than Eric Sosa's, DiD's, and Sideshow's 1/6. I think it may or may not have a slight edge over Trevor's from the maquette and as much as I love my PF, i think this is better than that as well

That's crazy... the PF's sculpt is close to perfection. NECA also did a really good sculpt for their 20 inch figure.

The brow isn't right on the PF. And I know the hair is supposed to be in motion but still doesn't fit Aragorn's hair in the movie. And I agree about NECA's 18" sculpt. That one is pretty great as well. Forgot about that one. I think the NECA one is more spot on than the PF. I do love my PF no doubt, but I'm not blind to it's flaws

And just to be clear, I'm looking at this sculpt not the one in the first post. Is this one not an update from the one in the first post?

Last edited:
If that's the head, then I'd be very happy with it.

I'm not saying the critics are wrong, but likeness (especially Viggo's) can be very subjective and I'm glad they aren't taking in all the comments from armchair sculptors that are sure how to make changes in the sculpt.

But I'm also glad they're listening. If the above picture is just a color/different angle from the original Asmus posted - then it shows that photography can COMPLETELY change how a portrait looks.

That's better. Might be the best you'll get as a 1:6 figure. If you used that sculpt as the black gates version I'd be tempted.

The brow isn't right on the PF. And I know the hair is supposed to be in motion but still doesn't fit Aragorn's hair in the movie. And I agree about NECA's 18" sculpt. That one is pretty great as well. Forgot about that one. I think the NECA one is more spot on than the PF. I do love my PF no doubt, but I'm not blind to it's flaws

And just to be clear, I'm looking at this sculpt not the one in the first post. Is this one not an update from the one in the first post?

Yes,
it is an update according to the comments,
2 more versions are made up to date,
and I think we are getting there

Asmus - great work on the stubble/beardwork so far. Viggo had this awesome 5 o'clock shadow/permastubble thing in all 3 films. You guys nailed that part. Can you post more pics of the sculpt as it progresses this week?

The good news is criticisms on this thread have been constructive, and Asmus is listening. We all want to see this one hit out of the park.

hurm... it's a bit off too... I really think the Sideshow one was good under all that lousy paint. Darren Carnell did a fabulous repaint... the sculpt isn't nearly as detailed as what we're used to now... but with the repaint... pretty darned good!!

4582082130.jpg

Aside from the eyes and forehead that have already been mentioned, I also think the nose itself needs a lot of work. Viggo has a pretty big nose IRL and the one on the figure isn't nearly wide enough. Its hard to get an idea of the length as well without a side shot of the figure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

hurm... it's a bit off too... I really think the Sideshow one was good under all that lousy paint. Darren Carnell did a fabulous repaint... the sculpt isn't nearly as detailed as what we're used to now... but with the repaint... pretty darned good!!

View attachment 113760

I believe that head was also resculpted by Darren... I don't think it was as dramatic of a resculpt as the Aragorn or Legolas, but he did make some changes.

I believe that head was also resculpted by Darren... I don't think it was as dramatic of a resculpt as the Aragorn or Legolas, but he did make some changes.

I don't think he did. If I remember correctly he just heated and rearranged the hair a little bit but left the sculpt unchanged. I will take a closer look tonight since I have both.

Back