Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really exciting news from SS!:hi5: To think that, within X period of time, we can look at our displays and see a full Fellowship!

There's something that I hope SS keeps in mind with this. They basically have 3 groups of customers out there - (A)those who will buy both MQ & PF (B)those who will buy only the PFs and (C)those who will buy only the maquettes. If they release a Merry/Pippin MQ and a large percentage of people opt to wait and see the PF first, that could leave an impression that isn't all that accurate.

(I personally know of 6 people who didn't order the Gandalf MQ because they were about to receive their PF.)

I still think that, once they give us Boromir, Gimli & Sam in PF, Merry & Pippin will become must-haves.

Well said Valarauko, very good points there.:clap

Somethings worth thinking about for sure. :hi5::hi5:

Bill

on no...........!

As to not posting much, i think it has to do with the fact that when he does he's met with posts like this!

Well, in fairness he just never seems to be positive about any of SS LOTR lines. So expect if you're gonna come across that way then its gonna shake out like this. Even when you don't care for something you end up finding something else within the line you like. Like I said it just seems as if he wants failure to happen or thats how I read it. I love LOTR, Weta, and SS. I want all lines from both to do well and keep LOTR alive in the collecting world.

This is really exciting news from SS!:hi5: To think that, within X period of time, we can look at our displays and see a full Fellowship!

There's something that I hope SS keeps in mind with this. They basically have 3 groups of customers out there - (A)those who will buy both MQ & PF (B)those who will buy only the PFs and (C)those who will buy only the maquettes. If they release a Merry/Pippin MQ and a large percentage of people opt to wait and see the PF first, that could leave an impression that isn't all that accurate.

(I personally know of 6 people who didn't order the Gandalf MQ because they were about to receive their PF.)

I still think that, once they give us Boromir, Gimli & Sam in PF, Merry & Pippin will become must-haves.

It's a tricky one to predict as there has definately been a rise in interest in all things LOTR. And given that people are still buying in these hard times adds to the hope that all 3 groups you mention will get one step closer to thier dream set :pray:

Unless of course the first two that are released just don't sell, in which case much like the past, don't expect to see the others. And, if the statues don't sell, then what do you think are the chances that the PF's will be made.

Sorry for the little dose of reality.

::throws wet blanket over guru::

:pfft:

Well, in fairness he just never seems to be positive about any of SS LOTR lines. So expect if you're gonna come across that way then its gonna shake out like this. Even when you don't care for something you end up finding something else within the line you like. Like I said it just seems as if he wants failure to happen or thats how I read it. I love LOTR, Weta, and SS. I want all lines from both to do well and keep LOTR alive in the collecting world.

Amen, Brother Josh...Amen! :yess:

There's something that I hope SS keeps in mind with this. They basically have 3 groups of customers out there - (A)those who will buy both MQ & PF (B)those who will buy only the PFs and (C)those who will buy only the maquettes. If they release a Merry/Pippin MQ and a large percentage of people opt to wait and see the PF first, that could leave an impression that isn't all that accurate.(I personally know of 6 people who didn't order the Gandalf MQ because they were about to receive their PF.)

First off, even if SS were to produce nothing but Fellowship PF's until all were completed we're talking a minimum of 3 years before the last of the Hobbits are produced. And we know with the Mordor Orc, RWOS and Saruman PF's already on the way [or scheduled for production] that's not going to happen. I'd say the best case scenario for the last of the Fellowship PF's to arrive is 4-5 years away. So people will have to wait a very long time if they want to see Merry and Pippin PF's before deciding whether to go with the maquette or PF's, because there is no way we'll have to wait that long for a Merry/Pippin maquette.

Secondly, if the people in category A are those who buy either maquettes or PF's which one do you think they will purchase if space and money are factors, when you consider the PF's will take up twice the space and cost close to twice as much as the maquette?

And while it may be true that some people held off on the Gandalf maquette because of the PF I don't think that comparison is valid any longer. Not only has the popularity of the maquette line exploded in the past two month's, collectors are now convinced SS is in this for the long haul. I have to wonder how many of those people you mention would have refrained from ordering the Gandalf maquette had they seen the maquette group shot, the Legolas maquette, and the Gimli sneak peek prior the the Gandalf pre-order?

:lol This coming from the guy whose questioned the need, viability, and character selections for the maquette line since Day 1. And who can forget your classic " I hate to tell you so" posts when you declared this line dead and buried after seeing one Aragorn preview pic. Now personally I've never understood that "I hate to tell you so" phrase because people who use it are actually revelling in the idea that they've been proven right....and they want everyone to know it. How'd that work out for you? :confused:

Well, silly me, I guess all LOTR collectors around the world can relex now. No matter what happens, Sideshow WILL make all 4 hobbits in statue form and then follow it up with the 3 remaining ones in PF. Good or bad sales makes no difference, Woodsy says so, so it must be true.

As for all the rest from yourself and your cheerleading buddy Josh, well, is it little wonder why I haven't posted much in the last 6 months. Given that all I said was if collectors don't put there money were they mouths (or emails) are, then don't be surprised if production stops short of releasing them all. I mean it's not like SS have in the past just stopped short of a couple of Hobbits (*cough* 12" Line *cough*) and as we all know, Hobbits in any form sell out like crazy, it's that right Woodsy..... you are trying to rewrite history and ingore all business reality?

Well, silly me, I guess all LOTR collectors around the world can relex now. No matter what happens, Sideshow WILL make all 4 hobbits in statue form and then follow it up with the 3 remaining ones in PF. Good or bad sales makes no difference, Woodsy says so, so it must be true.

As for all the rest from yourself and your cheerleading buddy Josh, well, is it little wonder why I haven't posted much in the last 6 months. Given that all I said was if collectors don't put there money were they mouths (or emails) are, then don't be surprised if production stops short of releasing them all. I mean it's not like SS have in the past just stopped short of a couple of Hobbits (*cough* 12" Line *cough*) and as we all know, Hobbits in any form sell out like crazy, it's that right Woodsy..... you are trying to rewrite history and ingore all business reality?

Do you think your "if it doesn't sell SS won't produce it" revelation is something new, something we are not well aware of already? Not only are we well aware of it, it's something we've been discussing for weeks. Now why don't you go back to your original post and take a good look at the section of that post that I specifically targeted....Hint : It's the section I underlined

Do you really think we need a "little dose of reality" from a guy who fell hook, line, and sinker for Weta's faux bronze, faux wood, Smaug 'bait and switch' scam and who still hasn't figured out he's been had? Do you really think we need a "little dose of reality" from a guy who couldn't accurately make a LOTR maquette prediction if it "hit him in the face", or from someone who can't seem to figure out my remarks had nothing to do with what was said and everything to do with who said it?

Namely the guy who doesn't support any SS LOTR lines [no doubt in part because they simply don't meet your exacting standards the way Weta does :lol], and who would like nothing more than to see them fail. We both know you've had virtually nothing good to say about the maquette line since day one and if that wasn't apparent with all your whining and crying a year ago when the line was introduced, it certainly has been with your disappearing act since this line took off in Dec. Y'know, it's one thing to not care for a particular line for one reason or another, but what sort of pathetic individual actual lives for the day a line is cancelled? :confused: Sadly, in the past year, your happiest days around here were the 5 days starting when SS posted that terrible Aragorn preview pic., and ending when they posted the prod. pic's two days before the start of pre-orders. Five days where you gleefully declared the maquette line dead and buried with your " I hate to say I told you so" comments. How pathetic is that. So forgive me for not being able to stomach anything you have to say concerning the maquette line because :

A]. Nothing you've ever said has even remotely come to pass
B]. We both know you couldn't care less what happens to the maquette, or PF line for that matter

And seriously, you're pretty well the last person on the face of the earth to accuse anyone else of cheerleading......:slap

Whooaaa there... Can we all take a chill pill please, this is starting to get a bit silly.

A reminder that this is a 'forum' for people to express their opinions. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to start slagging them off. :peace

My opinion, for what its worth...

I used to collect the PFs (and 12" for that matter, but thats another story...), but stopped after the Moria orc 'incident'. I contacted SS and suggested that if I didn't like the red outfit I should be able to return it and get a full refund, and not have to incur the return postage fee (if it was after all 'defective' as it was nothing like the photos on the website). Their answer was essentially 'if you don't like it you'll have to pay to return it'. Now is that also a 'scam' as described above? I don't think so (but nor do I think Weta scammed anyone) - just my opinion, remember? However, it did leave a very bitter taste in the mouth, to the extent that I haven't ordered any more PFs since. Again, my decision - I'm entitled to it.

Overall, I think SS tried to diversify too much. Some of us don't have bottomless pockets. Whilst the LotR line has produced some outstanding work, most of which I would love to have, it had become almost impossible to keep up with every line. Hence, them dropping the 12", dios and LSBs as they didn't sell well. I have to confess that, like Guru, I originally saw the maquette line as another step too far and I did too worry for the PF line - after all, if there wasn't the maquette line then surely they would devote more time and effort to the PF line and produce them more quickly (another gripe I had about the PFs), and hence vice versa? As it happens, all seems good - I hope it remains that way, but to be honest have lost enthusiasm for most things LotR from SS. The RWoS PF I am looking forward to!

So to each and every one of you I say 'live and let live' and please concentrate on discussing the pieces, not each other....

Oh, and on the subject of Guru, he was responsible for the Bilbo inkwell custom pieces, and for that I shall always be eternally grateful....:)

A good moment to put in Bilbo's party speech about not knowing half as well as he'd like etc, given we don't really know each other that well :peace

I'm really hoping that these new revelations are a start of a more open SS as opposed the 'keep em guessing' thing which seemed to be the norm and was wearing a bit thin. If Hobbit PF's may be a while, then as long as SS say they are definately in the pipe line, I will be happy.

Keep the requests going in :lecture

There's a difference between giving an opinion and raining on people's parades. Why be a Debbie Downer or Negative Nelly about something you really have no interest in?

Whooaaa there... Can we all take a chill pill please, this is starting to get a bit silly.

A reminder that this is a 'forum' for people to express their opinions. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to start slagging them off. :peace

My opinion, for what its worth...

I used to collect the PFs (and 12" for that matter, but thats another story...), but stopped after the Moria orc 'incident'. I contacted SS and suggested that if I didn't like the red outfit I should be able to return it and get a full refund, and not have to incur the return postage fee (if it was after all 'defective' as it was nothing like the photos on the website). Their answer was essentially 'if you don't like it you'll have to pay to return it'. Now is that also a 'scam' as described above? I don't think so (but nor do I think Weta scammed anyone) - just my opinion, remember? However, it did leave a very bitter taste in the mouth, to the extent that I haven't ordered any more PFs since. Again, my decision - I'm entitled to it.

Of course it was, and instead of trying to make excuses for SS when they did it, I lambasted them. Any company that promises it's customers something, then replaces a component with one that is significantly cheaper in price and quality, doesn't tell it's customers about the changes, and then pockets the additional prod. cost savings is scamming their customers....plain and simple. You had every right to be upset back then, and if you never buy another PF as long as you live I wouldn't blame you in the least.
But unlike our resident man/child, I don't see you posting one negative comment after another about SS LOTR products that you don't even collect. And I don't see you as some sadly bitter Wetaite who can't get over the fact SS now owns the 1/6 scale statue licence. That is exactly what this is all about and it is reflected in most of the maquette-related comments he's posted since the line was introduced. Again, my question is.....If he doesn't like or collect SS's LOTR lines, then why is he here? :confused: There are plenty of forums out there where he can piss all over SS to his hearts content and not only not be challenged for his comments, be embraced for them.....this isn't one of them. :nono

Last edited:
I think theguru1 does make a valid point and he shouldn't be discouraged from making it. I mean, what is the problem? It's such a small addition to the 'negatives' about the new announcements that is far outwieghed by the positives :dunno

From personal dealings with people on this thread and others, I know we are not all bad guys really. We can just get a bit too over excited.:panic:

I'll take a Crazytrain chill pill just for the hell of it! :lol

Woodsy it doesn't matter why he is here, everyone is welcome.

No one needs a reason to be part of the Forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if it differs from someone else. We are NEVER all going to have the same opinions on everything and frankly this place would be boring if we did.

So please, with that said, can we stop the back and forth of snyde personal comments and just get on with the thread.

Like the news or not, collect or not, it doesn't matter just discuss it if you want to.
Thank you kindly
x :peace

:chillpill:

Woodsy it doesn't matter why he is here, everyone is welcome.

No one needs a reason to be part of the Forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if it differs from someone else. We are NEVER all going to have the same opinions on everything and frankly this place would be boring if we did.

So please, with that said, can we stop the back and forth of snyde personal comments and just get on with the thread.

Like the news or not, collect or not, it doesn't matter just discuss it if you want to.
Thank you kindly
x :peace

:chillpill:

Sorry Shell, you might not believe that a persons "motives" for being here are important, but I would respectfully disagree with you.

As for opinions, I think I've made it perfectly clear that everyone around here is entitled to their own opinion. If guru thinks we need a "little dose of reality" around here, that's fine, that's his opinion. And if I think he's just about the last person around here I need a "little dose of reality" from....then that's my opinion. :peace

I can't wait for the Aragorn maquette! He looks so amazing and will be a fitting start to this marvelous new line. My only line for now, but I've said that enough. I'm already enjoying the momentum of the line, and hope to see pairs of hobbits sooner than later.

Peace! :D

Sorry Shell, you might not believe that a persons "motives" for being here are important, but I would respectfully disagree with you.

As for opinions, I think I've made it perfectly clear that everyone around here is entitled to their own opinion. If guru thinks we need a "little dose of reality" around here, that's fine, that's his opinion. And if I think he's just about the last person around here I need a "little dose of reality" from....then that's my opinion. :peace
I would agree that if someone had a 'motive' (especially an adverse one) that would impact the thought of why they are here, the extreme example are spammers.

A singular member expressing an opinion however does not imply a 'motive' for them being here.

So lets just leave it at that.
Thanks

I can't wait for the Aragorn maquette! He looks so amazing and will be a fitting start to this marvelous new line. My only line for now, but I've said that enough. I'm already enjoying the momentum of the line, and hope to see pairs of hobbits sooner than later.

Peace! :D
I love the Aragorn pose too :rock.
Everytime I see it I can hear Pippin saying 'but what about breakfast' and Strider turning round replying 'we've already had it' :lol :rock

Shell
x :wave

There's a difference between giving an opinion and raining on people's parades. Why be a Debbie Downer or Negative Nelly about something you really have no interest in?

Who say's I have no interest in the line, I just have no interest in what's been previewed so far.

I am very interested to see if the Arwen statue and it's likeness is as great as some insiders say it is, so far all I've seen is a single preview pic and from that, something looked a little off. If it turns out great, then it will be very high on my purchase list.

Only this week, I passed on a custom Faramir statue, which while good, there was something about the face which irked me a little and the paint job had some accuracy issues. My hope, that SS will make one, which will cost me about the same, but get everything right.

Of course only time will tell if that happens, since even tho this line has been declared a 'success', so far nothing has actually shipped, so who knows what final production pieces will be like, here's hoping just as good as the prototypes on the website.

But yes, maybe I am being a little 'Negative Nelly' about a new line that hasn't shipped anything yet, but that's partly from the somewhat bitter taste of the Disney PF line. Launched in great fanfare, 4-5 PF's shown and pre-ordered in the first year and then a rather rapid 'cooling off', mixed with a couple of PF's that next to no one wanted and no one ever asked for. Reason, well, something to do with business and sales one assumes, but that would just be silly, wouldn't it.

So lets just wait and see what actually happens. Your all more then welcome to be sunshine and roses, but I've been let down a few too many times now to count my chickens before they hatch. Which means yes, I may end up regretting not getting that Faramir, could still be the only statue version that's ever made.

As with alot of arguments that start here, it's something so small that has been blown out of all proportion, and some members pounce with little provocation. Guru has some legitimate worries about the potential future of the maquette and PF line. Sideshow can say that they WILL make something all they like, we all know that they can also cancel that line at a moments notice. The diorama line had some wonderful potential, but they managed the designs and choices so poorly.
I wonder if i'm still labelled a 'Wetaphile' or whatever, after expressing my delight at most of the new maquettes?

Back