Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with alot of arguments that start here, it's something so small that has been blown out of all proportion, and some members pounce with little provocation. Guru has some legitimate worries about the potential future of the maquette and PF line. Sideshow can say that they WILL make something all they like, we all know that they can also cancel that line at a moments notice. The diorama line had some wonderful potential, but they managed the designs and choices so poorly.
I wonder if i'm still labelled a 'Wetaphile' or whatever, after expressing my delight at most of the new maquettes?

I think it safe to say any company can cancel any product anytime they like. SSW cancelled three of their lines without notice during the height of the LOTR craze and SS has cancelled three of their lines since they began producing them. You're right, there are no guarantee's SS will ever produce all the things they say they are going to and I don't think anyone around here is guaranteeing they will. Would you care to tell me what guarantee you have that Weta will ever even start the lines [1/4 scale crowns/helms /tiara's and 1/12 scale "character" statues] they promised collectors almost two years ago? You've been asking about those for well over a year now, how about giving me a guarantee they'll stop ignoring your questions and actually answer them? Can you guarantee Weta will produce another FB statue after the less than stellar sales, and base issues of the first two? The simple truth is other than death and taxes....there are no guarantee's. In regard to collectible companies and their product lines, it seems to me there's not the slightest difference between SS and Weta.....if people buy them, they'll produce them....all we can do is hope for the best. :wink1:

Now I have say, I'm a little thrown back by the 'Wetaphile' comment, because I don't think anyone has even remotely thrown that inference in your direction :confused: Maybe I've misread the situation, but if my memory serves me correctly you've been as pleased by what SS has produced so far as anyone I can recall. Sure you've had some issues with the Gandalf pose, which is completely within your rights, but I think you've been onboard as much as anyone else around here. Seems to me your most important criteria when it comes to LOTR collectibles ....is quality.

Last edited:
:exactly:
Thanks Woodsy, that is indeed my most important criteria. If i likey, i will buy-ey. I went a bit overboard with some criticism of the GTG, then i saw the face sculpt in actual 'real-person' photos and liked it, but not the rest.
And no, i can't give any guarantees that Weta will do any better than Sideshow in honouring their lines and doing everything we want, but then i never said they would. We got Bag-End and are getting Rivendell, anything after that is all gravy, although i hope they do a version of Barad-Dur that is better than Danbury Mint.

:exactly:
Thanks Woodsy, that is indeed my most important criteria. If i likey, i will buy-ey. I went a bit overboard with some criticism of the GTG, then i saw the face sculpt in actual 'real-person' photos and liked it, but not the rest.
And no, i can't give any guarantees that Weta will do any better than Sideshow in honouring their lines and doing everything we want, but then i never said they would. We got Bag-End and are getting Rivendell, anything after that is all gravy, although i hope they do a version of Barad-Dur that is better than Danbury Mint.

My pleasure :duff

:lecture Very true, I had some issues with my Bag End, but my replacement looks great, and I too am really looking forward to Rivendell. :drool And I have to admit after Rivendell, Barad Dur is at the very top of my "want" list. Weta's done a great job of giving collectors exactly what they want in regard to the environments so far and I can't say for sure, but I do believe Barad Dur was at or near the top of the "most wanted" list after Rivendell :)

I agree with you all that the wheels could fall of at any time. The thing that I think with this line that will keep it from happening is these are selling well enough. This was without any real "new" news from The Hobbit or LOTR Blu Ray UE. I think Sideshow knows this is the line to just smack the ____ out of the ball on that we're going to get many great piece.

I agree with you all that the wheels could fall of at any time. The thing that I think with this line that will keep it from happening is these are selling well enough. This was without any real "new" news from The Hobbit or LOTR Blu Ray UE. I think Sideshow knows this is the line to just smack the ____ out of the ball on that we're going to get many great piece.

Not only did this line arrive without the benefit of any LOTR, Hobbit, or any other type of craze, it arrived amidst much skeptisim based on SS's record concerning other LOTR lines. But I think the sheer quality of the maquettes so far has won over many of it's detractors, and The Hobbit can do nothing but further enhance the lines popularity.

Agreed. I think this line has shown again that SS can do amazing LOTR pieces and that when they have peoples trust who may have felt left behind.

I really feel like we're about to go on a very fun journey through LOTR again as far as statues go.

Agreed. I think this line has shown again that SS can do amazing LOTR pieces and that when they have peoples trust who may have felt left behind.

I really feel like we're about to go on a very fun journey through LOTR again as far as statues go.

Yep things are look good :yess: and I can't see the building excitement for The Hobbit doing anything but good for the maquette line...and best of all we are in at the start...a very good place to be IMHO.:yess:

Bill

Yep things are look good :yess: and I can't see the building excitement for The Hobbit doing anything but good for the maquette line...and best of all we are in at the start...a very good place to be IMHO.:yess:

Bill

Agreed. It's certainly better to be starting "on the ground floor" now, than it is to be playing catch-up later. :lecture

Totally agreed Bill. :duff

Agreed. It's certainly better to be starting "on the ground floor" now, than it is to be playing catch-up later. :lecture

That was always the pain part about the SSW line. Playing catch up getting many of the pieces I had back in the day. Now, I can get them without paying out the nose for them.

Totally agreed Bill. :duff

That was always the pain part about the SSW line. Playing catch up getting many of the pieces I had back in the day. Now, I can get them without paying out the nose for them.

Luckily for me I started collecting the SSW pieces at the very beginning, but no doubt alot of people spent a boatload of money trying to aquire some of the more sought after pieces after the fact. :monkey2

Luckily for me I started collecting the SSW pieces at the very beginning, but no doubt alot of people spent a boatload of money trying to aquire some of the more sought after pieces after the fact. :monkey2

I didn't stumble upon them until December of 2003. Ordered Elessar from Sideshow and found a place in the Netherlands to get Strider for not much above retail. Managed to have some luck with pieces like Sam and Bill, CT, and great deals from Bob at Fireside Collectibles or Adam at Dark Shadow (both no longer open of course) that allowed me to get pieces. I did pay high prices for the Original Rog and WK though.

Bob and Adam were awesome, my 2 all-time favorite dealers.

I miss there web-stores.

:monkey2

i despise PFs. I sent my letter requesting them to focus on the fully sculpted statues.

i despise PFs. I sent my letter requesting them to focus on the fully sculpted statues.

Thankfully SS didn't listen to you. I love the maquettes and they have fast become my favourite collectible line, but the PF's have been around since the very beginning and based on the popularity [in terms of sales] and excellent quality of the PF line, esp. over the past few years, it's hard to argue against the "flagship" label it still enjoys.

Back