Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Q.Monday, June 14th, 2010
Can you tell us why the Legolas Premium Format took as long as it did to get through production?

Legolas didn’t present any particular difficulties or delays – it typically takes us six to nine months from announcement to shipment. We’re working to reduce the wait time, but we’re always producing products with a focus on quality over speed.

We need more Hobbit Premium Format figures and I think the next one should be Samwise with Bill. What are the chances, Sideshow?

Samwise with Bill might be a contender, but if we’re getting into 1:4 scale steeds, it’s likely going to be a horse of a different color…

There has been a lot of rumor and gossip on the discussion boards about some atypical prospects for your “The Lord of the Rings” Premium Format line. People have suggested a possible Cave Troll PF, a Ringwraith with Steed, or a Sam/Merry combined PF in a single offering. Can you let me know if I should start saving up now? I can’t wait for Gandalf, as well as more news on the LOTR Premium Format line!!! Thanks! …AND… Many thanks for the great pieces so far in the LOTR Premium Format line! Aa special thanks for Gandalf the Grey and Legolas – they appear incredible. Please consider Boromir, Gimli, Eowyn, and of course the other hobbits (Sam, Merry, Pippin) Can you please tell us how many LOTR PF figures you plan to announce in 2010? Also do you have any plans to ever create a mounted figure in the PF line? Yes, I realize it would be massive but it would certanly be extrordinary. Perhaps King Theodan? or Eomer? I would think someday you would have to produce a character from the Rohan side and I don’t see how you could make all the riders of Rohan without at least one mount? Please say yes and I’ll start saving now…. AND… With only one LOTR Premium Format having gone up for pre-order in 2009, will 2010 be the same, or can we expect 2, 3 or maybe even 4 LOTR PF pre-orders to make up for lost time?

We will be officially revealing the Morgul Lord PF very soon, and we hope to unveil the next LOTR PF a little after SDCC. If all goes according to plan, there will be a ‘big’ pre-order opportunity in early to mid 2011, for a product scheduled to ship late in the year. It may seem a ways off, but we’re digging into some serious and ambitious undertakings…

Any chance that we will be seeing a Boromir Premium Format or Gimli in any form sometime in 2010? How about a Moria Orc or Uruk Legendary Scale Bust?

Boromir and Gimli remain on our candidate list but won’t see release or announcement in 2010. You will see a new Orc at some point…

Some interested answers, esp. the "big pre-order opportunity in 2011" comment. Once again though, no diorama news.....:dunno

Re: LOTR 'Ask Sidsehow" Questions 14/06/10

Strange that Gimli (even moreso than Boromir) isn't coming soon.

I want Gimili before Boromir (although I want both). A new orc will be interesting.

Also interesting that they have hinted at a rider PF. Hopefully its MoS or Ringwraith.

Strange that Gimli (even moreso than Boromir) isn't coming soon.

What is it with Aragorn (1/6), Aragorn (PF), Aragorn (dirorama), Aragorn (maquette)...yet no love for GIMLI??? We NEED a Gimli PF to round out the 3 hunters for a kick-ass display!

:panic:

A lot of interesting stuff today.

I think the Sam and Bill question is intriguing, as it says a 1/4 scale steed might be a different colour... now if Bill is brown, that leaves black or white? Now white would obviously be Shadowfax, and black could be Ringwraith (even though the wraith's horses were brown if I remember correctly? But I suppose liberty could be taken :dunno).

Could definatly see SS going with the lord of horses if they are to do 1 steed in that scale.

I would guess Wringwraith on Steed... and if so, I'd be inteterested.

I haven't bought any of the LOTR PFs... but that might be too iconic (and awesome) to pass up.

The Gandalf the Grey PF is the only one I've cared about so far. I really hope they don't go too big with this mount/steed thing and end up with another PF like the SW Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike that just sits there for years with it's high price tag.

I would guess Wringwraith on Steed... and if so, I'd be inteterested.

I haven't bought any of the LOTR PFs... but that might be too iconic (and awesome) to pass up.

Exactly. I'm quite happy with the SS/Weta Gandalf/Shadowfax, and I don't own the SS/W Ringwraith on Steed (sadly), so a Ringwraith on Steed PF I definately couldn't say no to.

Another thing is a 1/4 scale steed may not fit in well with displays, but would look amazing as a stand-alone piece.

And I also hope they would do a wraith rather than a good guy, as then there's no likeness no get wrong. You would think. :lol

The Gandalf the Grey PF is the only one I've cared about so far. I really hope they don't go too big with this mount/steed thing and end up with another PF like the SW Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike that just sits there for years with it's high price tag.

Same, GTG is the one I really like so far from the pics.

Altho' if they do a ringwraith (etc) on steed, I would go for 1/4 as anything smaller will look like tiny and not fit in with the PFs. This will also add some diversity from the existing one.

Last edited:

What is it with Aragorn (1/6), Aragorn (PF), Aragorn (dirorama), Aragorn (maquette)...yet no love for GIMLI??? We NEED a Gimli PF to round out the 3 hunters for a kick-ass display!

:panic:

And the LSB....and a second diorama....but who's counting :monkey3. I've fired off several questions/suggestions to SS concerning Gimli in the last year or so, including this one :

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=11743&ref=search0109

Hopefully SS's listening because we really need a Gimli PF. :(

...there will be a ‘big’ pre-order opportunity in early to mid 2011, for a product scheduled to ship late in the year.

Hmm... the question is, what do they mean by 'big'. 'Big', as in important, or as in size.

Which is what any 'large scale' piece runs the risk of. It has to be an important/mainstream enough item to sell well (sorry, no Rohan riders or MoS then), and the ES number has to be low enough to actually sell through, yet large enough to make it financially worth Sideshows time. :dunno

My biggest concern with this latest round of Q&A is Sideshow's continuing reference to 'IF THINGS GO AS PLANNED'...statements like that do not bode well for LOTR fans...maybe they are referring to The Hobbit licensing and such.

In terms of the Steed thing...they stated 'horse of a different color'...which I immediately assumed meaning a THING that someone RIDES, but not necessarily a HORSE! Could they mean Warg and Rider, Ringwraith on Fell Beast, Gandalf on Gwahir...how about a Gandalf the Grey with his CART and HORSE?

Still leaning on the much sought after Ringwraith on Steed, but you never know...

My guess is we're talking about a Ringwraith on a horse, too. Seems like the most obvious choice to me. (Especially since the bad guys seem to sell best.)

That's also probably why we're getting a Witchking PF instead of a standing Ringwraith PF. Rather than do a mounted and unmounted Ringwraith, it sounds like they're mixing it up a bit so as not to double dip with the character. (Like they did with the Biker Scout.)

But other possibilities exist, of course. Gandalf and Shadowfax, would have a lot of takers. And that might be a good way to revisit Gandalf the White and address some of the complaints folks had with the GTW PF the first time around.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd personally LOVE a Theoden in armor on Snowmane. Sword raised and shouting? That would be bad-ass.

And while I'm suffering from "Aragorn Fatigue" as much as everybody else, another option might be a mounted Aragorn in his RotK armor from his "men of the West" pep talk at the Black Gates. Yes, we've been flooded with Aragorns, but they've mostly been in the Strider outfit. Though it wouldn't be my first choice.

What do you guys think?

I wonder what color dress the new Orc PF is going to have.

:monkey3

I was going to say...anyone care for some more orcs!!! I do like the idea of the cave troll, but maybe a battle troll.
I missed the other 2 orc PF's but would love to get one if they do another. Im also patiently waiting for the Witch King PF, to see
if I'll get it.

Really, Sideshow could do almost limitless orcs or Uruks. But I would really like to see them not repeat what Weta has done, even though Sideshow puts their own spin on them. I love Sideshow's Berserker and the Moria Orc, but Weta had already done those. Esentially, I'm saying I hope that the next orc PF is not a Moria Orc archer. Maybe a Mordor orc instead of a Moria orc.

As far as future villain releases (one hopes we will be so lucky), my preferences (in order) are: Uruk Hai Pikeman, Crossbow man or Swordsman from Helms Deep.

The thought of a huge RWOS makes me giddy. One thing that I hope they do at some point down the road is a scaled "Grond." I think that would look awesome as a stand alone piece or mixed in with your PF's. I can't wait to see the finished product of the witchking statue. I'm hoping he doesn't have an awkward pose like GTW.

So it sounds like Sam is one the horizon as a probable PF, and would likely test the water for any remaining hobbits, but I hope that Merry, Pippin and Bilbo get the PF treatment too.

I need to start socking away money now though, if a horse and rider might get made as a PF. My vote would be for the Ringwraith, and I have to agree that might be why we get the Witchking as a PF first. What about a possible Arwen on Asfolath though? Just a guess...

It also sounds like an oversized character might be in the works, and I would really hope this to be the Cave Troll. The other trolls looked great in Return of the King, but lacked the visual impact of seeing the first troll in the Fellowship.

I also hope we get a Mordor Orc, and maybe we'll get somebody visually iconic like the Orc with the skull on his helmet!

Back