So I basically hit the LOTR jackpot today...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why you let your loved ones/next of kin know how valuable your collection is.

yep, if I were this dead person, I'd haunt the crap out of you for taking my collection for practically free. What are the chances of even finding a estate sale with this stuff though?

:rotfl Well it was some friends of the man who passed away who were overseeing the sale - I guess he had no family/friends who wanted any of it. They seemed to know what it was all worth, but had been trying to sell it all for $1000 and had no takers. I came across it on OfferUp and asked if they would break it up at all. They told me they weren't allowed to according to the courts, but could lower it to $650 for everything. I was like :horror

yep, if I were this dead person, I'd haunt the crap out of you for taking my collection for practically free. What are the chances of even finding a estate sale with this stuff though?

I got rid of my LOTR stuff for a decent profit to help fund buying my first house. Hated to let it all go, but it was worth it.

You did nothing wrong, it just reminded me of a story that an old friend from high school told me. The son of one of his family friends passed away, and the mother was left with the son's baseball card collection, which was pretty valuable. A baseball card dealer who rented space in the comic book shop I frequented was contacted by the lady. He lied through his teeth about the collection's value, and practically stole the set. Needless to say, he was not the most popular person of my friend and the deceased's mother.

A few years back I had to liquidate my LOTR sword collection when we came under financial strain. It killed me to have to do it - for cheap at that - but obviously I had more important things I needed the money for. That's why the swords were the main draw for me in this collection. Now that we have pulled through the hard times, I am trying to rebuild my collection. I collect the statues as well, but the swords are generally cheaper to replace. I was absolutely blown away by the deal I got!

A few years back I had to liquidate my LOTR sword collection when we came under financial strain. It killed me to have to do it - for cheap at that - but obviously I had more important things I needed the money for. That's why the swords were the main draw for me in this collection. Now that we have pulled through the hard times, I am trying to rebuild my collection. I collect the statues as well, but the swords are generally cheaper to replace. I was absolutely blown away by the deal I got!

Yah, I think a lot of people have had to sell off things for similar reasons. Glad to hear you were able to get some it back at a great deal.

There are couple things I am considering putting up for sale - but I am still taking stock of everything's condition. Will post here when/if I decide to let any of it go...

Ha ha - thanks guys! Needless to say, I was quite excited. Even after negotiating the price, when I showed up to pay/pick it all up, there was actually about double the amount of items that I knew of. The Noble Collection staff was a total surprise, and was something I had been hunting for years.

Find of the YEAR!!!!!!! Major congrats!!!!!!

I can use Bill the Pony and Watcher in the Water. Let me know if you decide to let them go for a decent price.

Agreed! Score of the year man...congrats!
What you paid is like retail for about 2-3 Weta statues.

And most importantly, they found a good home!

Congratulations Hecubus, that truly is winning the LotR lottery. You must have done some kick-ass deed to warrant that kind of karma!

Good for you.

Curious, did you just happen upon this or search for Lord of the Rings on an estate sale site?

Back