Ask Sideshow LOTR Q&A's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just posted on SS's website :

Monday, April 11th, 2011

Question : If I keep asking the same question will the squeaky wheel get the grease? Where, oh where, are the LOTR 12″ Merry and Pippin????? I know all those things about viable sales and understand, BUT now with The Hobbit coming out it should renew interest in the whole series since it is a “prequel” to the other three and viola! Merry and Pippin become stars again. Remember, without them the Ents would never have been instrumental…you know the story.

Answer : Where oh where are the Lord of the Rings 12-inch figures, eh? Hobbitses, sneaky filthy hobbitses? Rest assured, we review Lord of the Rings product planning regularly, and there IS a contingent within Sideshow that is dedicated to returning to Middle Earth in Sixth Scale at the earliest opportunity. That day is coming, but it’s not here yet.

Monday, April 11th, 2011

Question : Regarding your upcoming Sauron piece in collaboration with Jerry Vanderstelt, I was wondering if you could comment officially on whether it will fall into the Premium Format category (even if not officially 1/4 scale), or if it will in fact be one of the first (if not the first) baddie in the new maquette line? This is easily my most anticipated piece, and I know everyone is eager to know more!

Answer : It’s going to be BIG. It will be done in approximately 1:4 scale, true to the Premium Format line. If all goes according to plan, this will be a major centerpiece for the LOTR line, a very singularly impressive statement piece.

Thats at least good news they plan on going back to the 1:6th figure line and it probably will happen next year when The Hobbit is about to hit.

Answer : It’s going to be BIG. It will be done in approximately 1:4 scale, true to the Premium Format line. If all goes according to plan, this will be a major centerpiece for the LOTR line, a very singularly impressive statement piece.

:monkey3 :wave

Thats at least good news they plan on going back to the 1:6th figure line and it probably will happen next year when The Hobbit is about to hit.

I'd love to see that. It's fantastic to hear that they haven't 100% given up on going back and making more 1/6 figures. I really, really, really hope they do.

I do too. I'll continue to get a few of them as I thought what we received turned out pretty good overall.

It sounds like Sideshow is going back to 1/6, but are we certain it will be for the LOTR license? It sounds like (and makes more sense) that they'll be doing 1/6 scale figures for The Hobbit when the film comes out.

If anything...since they have the shorter body, we will probably get our GIMLI finally!

I would think Biblo from the Hobbit or maybe a Bilbo two pack could be possible. Maybe a dwarf to start it off followed by Bilbo and then who knows maybe they go back in if those sell well.

From today's Q&A

Monday, June 13th, 2011
I would like to know if in the new LOTR statues line, Eomer and Mouth of Sauron are being designed with or without steed. Thanks!

Designed, yes, Eomer without Steed, and Mouth… we cannot state definitively yet.

From today's Q&A

Monday, June 13th, 2011
I would like to know if in the new LOTR statues line, Eomer and Mouth of Sauron are being designed with or without steed. Thanks!

Designed, yes, Eomer without Steed, and Mouth… we cannot state definitively yet.

You beat me to it Josh. Here's the other LOTR-related question, though I'm not even sure why they even bothered with this one.

Monday, June 13th, 2011

Question : Will you make some more busts (small ones) of the LOTR ? So many other characters left to make – Denethor, Faramir, Eowyn, lots of orcs, battle troll (who almost killed Aragorn in battle on black gates), Celeborn, Smeagol (hobbit version), etc. Do you have plans make any? If yes…when?

Answer : No plans at the moment, although we agree that there is some rich territory yet to cover.

Last edited:
Wish Eomer was with steed but just glad we'll be getting him.

True enough. It's nice to know Eomer [and Faramir] have been designed and are on the way.....perhaps we'll get a glimpse during SDCC this year. :)

True enough. It's nice to know Eomer [and Faramir] have been designed and are on the way.....perhaps we'll get a glimpse during SDCC this year. :)

That would be great. I'd love to see a couple display cabinets full of LOTR maquettes.

That would be great. I'd love to see a couple display cabinets full of LOTR maquettes.

Only a couple. :lol It's been too long since SS released a major LOTR video [July 22, 2010 to be exact]. Hopefully we'll see one during SDCC, and hopefully it'll be full of conceptual artwork of future maquettes. :pray:

Only a couple. :lol It's been too long since SS released a major LOTR video [July 22, 2010 to be exact]. Hopefully we'll see one during SDCC, and hopefully it'll be full of conceptual artwork of future maquettes. :pray:

Well, I'd love more but I'll take a couple. :lol I would think we could see another video at Sideshow's panel this year with the overall success and acceptance of the line so far.

Thanks for posting the Q&A guys! I like that MOS could come with his steed, but I am fine with Eomer off the horse, and just thrilled to get Eomer in this line at all!!!

I hope we get a SDCC video that has some sneak peeks into 2012 and beyond, as well as few looks into what the more immediate future holds. I would think that Boromir or Arwen pre-order around this time, and a sneak at the next couple of figures in the line as in-progress sculpts or design sketches. I really hope that either the PF or maquette line shows off at least one of the hobbits soon too!

I'm fine with Eomer on foot, i was kinda expecting it as he's not on his horse all the time, but it is strange that we're still to see a rider and steed statue from Rohan, home of the horse lords!
Mouth of Sauron has to be on steed, i think. We only ever see him mounted but again i'm sure he doesn't ride around on a horse all day! And if we don't get it, at least there's Markus' custom version.

Back