Arrested Development

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep seeing people explain that this show was too smart.

This bit

makes the show sound pretentious, and doesn't do it any favors.

Is it so hard to say it was just "funny"?? I like the show just fine, but I don't want to be made to feel like I'm some special person. This wasn't some 'hipster' show or something. . . a lot of the jokes were just dumb, stupid fun as evidenced by Gob's gif up above. I mean, the chicken dance?? You don't need a degree in rocket science to laugh at that.

No. It's not hard to say it was funny. It was funny. But it is also a smart television show. The writing, the stories, and the jokes are all top notch. Is it offensive to say it's smart? I don't think that's pretentious to say.

chicken-dance-2.gif

Last edited:
Just finished rewatching this. What are your guys' feelings on season 3? I know it gets bad reviews from customers and I have a friend who absolutely hates it and only rewatches the first two seasons. Personally, I love it. It does feel rushed and a bit more whacky than the previous seasons but I admire them for finishing off the story in the limited amount of episodes they were given. I think I laughed hardest at season 3 whilst rewatching them. I remember it being my least favorite but now I'm thinking it's one of the funniest in the show's run.

The final episodes crack me up. They're desperately trying to save themselves from cancellation....it's so sad, yet hilarious at the same time.

Just finished rewatching this. What are your guys' feelings on season 3? I know it gets bad reviews from customers and I have a friend who absolutely hates it and only rewatches the first two seasons. Personally, I love it. It does feel rushed and a bit more whacky than the previous seasons but I admire them for finishing off the story in the limited amount of episodes they were given. I think I laughed hardest at season 3 whilst rewatching them. I remember it being my least favorite but now I'm thinking it's one of the funniest in the show's run.

Any AD is good. That said, initially I found S3 much weaker. I still do, I guess. But it is sort of a logical progression. I thought S2 got a little goofier than S1, and S3 followed that progression. Not in ridiculous, sitcom hijinks-type stuff, just a little more like a real-life cartoon.

I'll watch the whole series fairly often (more often than I care to admit), and watching it as a whole makes S3 seem a lot stronger than they did as individual episodes - especially the Mr. F storyline.

I saw the show as a whole on DVD my first time through and this was only my second time through. I rewatch shows every other year as to not overdo it. I get burned out on things I see too often. Except Seinfeld. I grew up seeing that on multiple times a day on multiple channels. Still have yet to grow tired of it :)

But back on topic, I can see how people thought the quality dropped off but I still enjoy it. The laughter it generates is far better than the realism in my opinion.

The MR F stuff from season 3 was pretty bad IMO, and probably drags the whole season down because of it. I definitely don't think it was on par with the previous seasons.

"MISTA EFFF". That made it all worth it.

What made it all worth it for me...

When she's walking away, over the water, and I think "Ugh, are they actually doing this?" This was cemented further by going to the "On the next...", I was suckered into thinking AD would end a plot with some garbage like that. Thankfully, it cuts into the glorious Gob illusion.

The whole Theron plot was worth it, just for that payoff.

I liked the Mr. F stuff, actually. The only thing I didn't really think worked that well was the hair transplant storyline with Tobias.

Back