Apple get all legal on DiD's ass over Steve Jobs figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
I saw this over on OSW and it didn't seem to be covered here.

I guess you gotta protect your 'intellectual property', but all seems a tad unnecessary to me...

Read all about it...
HERE

HERE

and HERE

Retaliation for THIS perhaps...

This thing brought too much attention to itself, I guess. DiD certainly appear to be capitalizing on something that they haven't paid to use, so Apple and the Jobs estate has the right to go after this if they feel it is necessary.

I would suggest that they try to work with those groups to see if they might allow the sale if a percentage of the profits went to cancer research, but. . .all the profits DiD makes with this is probably less than what Apple makes in a second. I don't think money plays any role here, in other words.

I'm no lawyer, but I know that the vast bulk of international law concerns international trade. And foreign countries have an interest in following and enforcing that kind of law because it can hurt their standing with other countries vis-a-vis their ability to maintain minimal barriers to trade if they fail to do so (the WTO can make a U.S. President shake in his boots while he can ignore and dismiss international courts concerned with more explicitly political/security issues). But even domestically, I would imagine that China will have more anti-bootlegging/unlicensed product movement as more legit companies are built up and establish influence there.

The major threat to DiD in this instance, though, may be their ability to sell these in the U.S. U.S. laws frown on all this of course, and Apple can well threaten distributors and retailers trying to sell these here, which is presumably the primary customer base for this figure. They could also make life more difficult for DiD in general as time goes on by forcing them to defend themselves in court.

No, California law will stand for jack in China. My guess is it will be freely available on eBay soon, but if any US companies try to distribute it then they will feel the full fury of iWrath!

lolz...who wants to bet despite all this, somehow this figure will still get sold somewhere?

I'm no lawyer, but I know that the vast bulk of international law concerns international trade. And foreign countries have an interest in following and enforcing that kind of law because it can hurt their standing with other countries vis-a-vis their ability to maintain minimal barriers to trade if they fail to do so (the WTO can make a U.S. President shake in his boots while he can ignore and dismiss international courts concerned with more explicitly political/security issues). But even domestically, I would imagine that China will have more anti-bootlegging/unlicensed product movement as more legit companies are built up and establish influence there.

The major threat to DiD in this instance, though, may be their ability to sell these in the U.S. U.S. laws frown on all this of course, and Apple can well threaten distributors and retailers trying to sell these here, which is presumably the primary customer base for this figure. They could also make life more difficult for DiD in general as time goes on by forcing them to defend themselves in court.

Actually I think DiD will easily find enough buyers for this outside the US

Jobs is worshipped in many parts of Asia. I can see this fetching gazillions on eBay/whereever people manage to sell it because
1. It won't be sold in the US
2. The free marketing it has received via Apples threats

Here's a thread on the Steve Jobs figure already in motion ... https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104598

So Apple has a patent on Steve Jobs likeness? I honestly don't see how Apple will be able to stop n Icons/DID from selling the figure. However, I can see Steve's family estate having a better chance than corporate Apple. Unless Apple's lawyers are representing the Jobs estate.

Anyway, the laws in the U.S. vary from state to state in regard to making commercial gains from a celebrity, etc. that is already deceased. I think trying to stop a Chinese company under different international laws or no laws at all in their country regarding likeness from selling the figure online could be futile.

My understanding is in icons/DID says they are not selling any Apple related accessories (iPhone, iPad or Mac) with the Jobs figure or anything with Apple brand identity (i.e., logos). Thus, ensuring themselves one less wrangle from Apple's legal wrath.

My understanding is in icons/DID says they are not selling any Apple related accessories (iPhone, iPad or Mac) with the Jobs figure or anything with Apple brand identity (i.e., logos). Thus, ensuring themselves one less wrangle from Apple's legal wrath.

My thoughts exactly. How does Apple own the likeness of Jobs himself?

They dont need to own the rights. I guess they just take caremof the legal actions in the name of the family. The media wont go that much into detail. Ofmcourse the family of Jobs can ask Apple to care for those actions.

Why DID even made this guy is beyond me, they should just stick to their WW2 stuff. Anyway this probably wont be sold in the U.S., but l am sure we could buy them from China and Asia and have them shipped here no probllem if you wanted it.

Maybe Apple should threaten to not build all of their products in China then...

Best case scenario for flippers: DiD get this out before it goes to court; it goes to court and Apple wins, leaving DiD to cease production and recall unsold units; figure cost goes from $99 MSRP to $700 on ebay.

Back