Apple get all legal on DiD's ass over Steve Jobs figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah he was a innovator, but myself wouldn't want this figure. Give me some real icons such as Team SEAL 6.

Hot Toys, Soldier Story and Very Hot have you covered with their DEVGRU figures :)

Do you own any Christian Bale as Batman figures?

You have Brando on your shelf...just saying :wave

That could be said for some celebrities Hot Toys and others have made.

Correction: To my eyes I have Batman and Don Vito on my shelf, not Bale and Brando. I buy film figures for the character, not the actor and y'all know the difference you naughty boys :nono

Mel Gibson: ******. But I'd still buy a Max Rockatansky figure.
Tom Cruise: ******. But I'd still buy... er... well if he ever plays a character I dig, I'd buy it.

Historical figures though, I need to not see their douchery for me to have them in my collection.

My thoughts exactly. How does Apple own the likeness of Jobs himself?

Apple does not own the personality rights of Steve Jobs. That personality right (a proprietary right) rests with Steve Job's estate/family...depending on the particular state legislation (some US states have legislation preserving a person's personality rights even after their death).

That being said, apple may have some control over the extent in which third parties may use Steve Job's reputation/identity/likeness. This is because Steve Job's reputation and identity is very closely linked and tied with the apple brand. This means that third parties may very well get sued if they use Steve Job's reputation/likeness in a way that permits that third party to take advantage of apple's business goodwill (ie the tort of passing off).

Bottom line is this, if someone makes a Steve jobs toy, apple probably can't do anything about it. But if someone starts a business using Steve Job's name and reputation in a way that may deceive people into thinking therre is a connection between that business and apple, and that customers can expect the same type of apple service they have come to expect, then it is illegal.

Back