Anyone Ever Tried HydroSpan/HydroShrink? Possibility for new heads for Sideshows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowswarlok

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey All
i know the likely hood of us getting any new Buffy/Angel figures are low.
SO, i was wondering, has anyone ever tried HydroSpan/HydroShrink.

Its a casting resin that will actualy GROW when submerged in water.

SO, im thinking. Maybe we could use the headcasts made by DST/Mac and create out own headcasts in scale for Sideshow bodies...

What does everyone think? I think its atleast worth a try

https://www.industrialpolymers.com/water_abs_expanding_urethanes.html

DST has headsculpts for

Buffy
Angel
Darla
Spike
Xander
Willow
Faith
Anya
Lorne
Fred/Illyria
Kennedy
Kendra
Giles
Cordelia
Wesley (which could be a very good option)
Drusilla (there maybe a new release vamp one coming soon)
Oz

I think the ones we could really benefit from are

WESLEY
FAITH!!!
FRED/ILLYRIA
ANYA
HUMAN DARLA
WILLOW!!!

Im willing to atleast give it a try

Wayne

Someone has had to have used this stuff. I would love to see what could be done with it. What about Toybiz Lotr figures? Think about it-orcs! Does it actually keep the detail?

Also, what aout just doing the armour for custom figures? and having someone else do custom HS?

I've been playing with it, but haven't gotten anything usable out of it yet. I've done a few test shows with hydroshrink and just got the Hydrospan recently. I know Mr. Bergholtz had some good results with Hydrospan in blowing up some his sculpts to a larger size. The material holds details amazingly well, however if you're dealing with a small head the sculpts aren't going to be all the detailed in the first place. Especially if you're talking about DST.

However I'll be trying a few things like the DST Stargate Ben Browder - my first attempt with Hydrospan I just poured which is a Tennant Who on a 1:12 scale model.

Thanks DD. I have heard about this stuff a while ago but have not seen anything yet. Ijus think tho possibilities are endless. Think about all the SW and LOTR that could be done with it. I could imagine a 6th scale Rohirrim soldier.

I've been playing with it, but haven't gotten anything usable out of it yet. I've done a few test shows with hydroshrink and just got the Hydrospan recently. I know Mr. Bergholtz had some good results with Hydrospan in blowing up some his sculpts to a larger size. The material holds details amazingly well, however if you're dealing with a small head the sculpts aren't going to be all the detailed in the first place. Especially if you're talking about DST.

However I'll be trying a few things like the DST Stargate Ben Browder - my first attempt with Hydrospan I just poured which is a Tennant Who on a 1:12 scale model.

well, ive made my own casts of these heads using quick cast resin. and when you see the casts without a painjob, the details are amazing. especially the buffies

im confident that blowing up some of the heads will be detailed enough to create heads in scale with sideshow

if they arent, they will atleast provide a great startiung point for someone to sculpt over/add more details. using the core facial structure as a base

Wayne

At least for Willow you could start from the DST busts. They have both smiley and serious Willow and those are only slightly under 1/6 scale.

DST has headsculpts for

Buffy
Angel
Darla
Spike
Xander
Willow
Faith
Anya
Lorne
Fred/Illyria
Kennedy
Kendra
Giles
Cordelia
Wesley (which could be a very good option)
Drusilla (there maybe a new release vamp one coming soon)
Oz

I think the ones we could really benefit from are

WESLEY
FAITH!!!
FRED/ILLYRIA
ANYA
HUMAN DARLA
WILLOW!!!

Im willing to atleast give it a try

Wayne

Are they actually going to release any of the cancelled figures (Dru, Oz, Wood and The Judge)?

How controllable is this stuff? Can you decide what size a cast will end up being?

How controllable is this stuff? Can you decide what size a cast will end up being?

I played around with different mix ratios but that seemed to only change the curing time rather than the size. I did read about a trick where you isolate the casting in an airtight container when it reaches the correct size and the water content should stabilize - but I haven't tried it.

i remember someone around here used it to shrink a SS Bespin Han head. i know a few over at OSW used it too. i would LOVE if someone used the Span to enlarge that Longbow Hanks SPR sculpt!

well, i would assume these castings would behave like these little kiddie toys you get.
my brother had a little Spongebob and you put it in water, and it grows. if you take it out, i believe it will eventually shrink back.

So, im assuming, without water to absorb, the cast would remain the same after you take it out of water.

The website says that it enlarges 60% each time, so if you take it out of the water a little earlier than stated, it may stay the same

If it doesnt, simple. you use a quick setting silicone (20 mins demould time) and cast the bugger before it starts to shrink :p

and seriously, if you cant. i think i could suffer the heads being a little large.

A bobblehead is better than no head ;)

Also, did i mention i may have found a good likeness for Gunn ^^. ill keep that secret until i actually attempt it, but Gunn could be a possibility tho :p

Wayne

shut your lips! That's awesome. I can't wait to see it.

I hope someone tries the hydro method soon. The suspense it killing me!

So, I don't even know if this method will work, but I already have plans for a line that could be done in 1/6 scale.

The characters would all be in black and purple themed cocktail formal wear. Almost like a cast picture. I would definitely re sculpt a lot of the hair and have them all look just amazing.

I would want:
Buffy(either the chosen head or the moore series 2 head)
Willow (white witch)
Xander and Oz (sideshow)
Angel (moore series 1)
Giles (sideshow)
Fred
Faith (Faith Hope and Trick)
Wesley (waiting in the wings)
Drusilla (human moore)
Spike (Fool for love)
Cordelia (moore)
Dawn (the gift)
Tara (hush)
Anya (OMWF or Wedding)

I am pretty excited even though this may not even happen.

Last edited:
My first attempt at hydrospan looks like a disgusting mutant. I think it's important to get the mix ratio correct on the 2 parts. But I'm going to try again.

I've been looking for someone with experience in using this stuff for a while. My goal at the time was enlarging heads from 8" Mego and 9" Mattel figures to 1:6 and shrinking the 12" Mego down to size. Potential seems great if anyone can get consistant results from it.
And, olvidadero, weren't Dru and Oz released?

Back