Funko to make "Buffy" & "Firefly" POP! vinyls!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my order from EE today and I got a Vamp Spike!! All the pops look awesome---I can't wait for wave 2!

I received my order from EE today and I got a Vamp Spike!! All the pops look awesome---I can't wait for wave 2!

Wow!!! Now, that's luck. Congrats!!! :rock

You got a group shot you can post? Want to see them all together!

(I got none at the moment. :()

Wow!!! Now, that's luck. Congrats!!! :rock

You got a group shot you can post? Want to see them all together!

(I got none at the moment. :()

I don't have the regular Spike yet. I plan on getting him next week or so. When I get him, I'll try to post a pic of the group but everytime I try it always ends up wonky or upside down.

I also have both SDCC Battle Buffys--the original sticker that says "Comic Con" and the generic sticker that just says "convention exclusive".

I can't wait for wave 2!!!

I don't have the regular Spike yet. I plan on getting him next week or so. When I get him, I'll try to post a pic of the group but everytime I try it always ends up wonky or upside down.

I also have both SDCC Battle Buffys--the original sticker that says "Comic Con" and the generic sticker that just says "convention exclusive".

I can't wait for wave 2!!!

Any word on if a Wave 2 has been confirmed?

I found a Wishverse Willow today!!! :rock

No other pieces from the Buffy line though. My HT pretty much gets nothing in, so this was a victory. :lol

I'll try to post a group shot...hopefully it won't be too big or upside down. I always have trouble posting pics.

2aa0ygl.jpg

Luckily my HT had some Willows left, so I picked that up and the winged Castiel. I usually just go for the exclusives at HT because their single prices are higher than other stores. The Cas was even $2.50 more the WW. Thankfully they always have BOGO 50% off.

I did find it a little funny that Willow is taller than Castiel. I'm not sure if they just made him smaller than normal to make him shorter than Sam and Dean.

Honestly, I don't get the appeal for this kind of vinyl stuff in general, but I understand that they are at the very least a unique looking collectible. My problem with them as far as being Buffy memorabilia is that most of them barely remind me of the characters they're supposed to be based on at all.

It's definitely possible to capture the essence of a popular character in a non-representational figure style--I think that Minimates do an amazing job of really nailing characters with nothing more than a few well-drawn lines on the face (the Minimate Captain Kirk for example does a better job of capturing the essence of Kirk than any action figure I've ever seen.) And I thought the Buffy version of Minimates (I forget what they were called now) did an excellent job with all the characters' likenesses. You always knew exactly who each one of them was supposed to be. They all captured the essence of the characters extremely well.

These vinyl things, though...not so much, in my opinion. The style just doesn't leave any room for detail. Big buggy eyes, no nose to speak of, no mouth...I just can't see the characters here.

Still no luck. It took me awhile to get a hold of Cas at my local HT, so I just need to be patient. I've been on the lookout for the DBZ pops though for a good month and still nothing near me.
Finally saw some of the DBZ pops in a local gaming store. They had all of the first wave, though I think there are some exclusives in this line as well.

I haven't bought the regular Buffy yet, but was wondering if there was meant to be a yellow paint blob on her left hand? I've only seen 3 of them in stores and all of them have this yellow paint, which looks like it shouldn't be there lol

Honestly, I don't get the appeal for this kind of vinyl stuff in general, but I understand that they are at the very least a unique looking collectible. My problem with them as far as being Buffy memorabilia is that most of them barely remind me of the characters they're supposed to be based on at all.

It's definitely possible to capture the essence of a popular character in a non-representational figure style--I think that Minimates do an amazing job of really nailing characters with nothing more than a few well-drawn lines on the face (the Minimate Captain Kirk for example does a better job of capturing the essence of Kirk than any action figure I've ever seen.) And I thought the Buffy version of Minimates (I forget what they were called now) did an excellent job with all the characters' likenesses. You always knew exactly who each one of them was supposed to be. They all captured the essence of the characters extremely well.

These vinyl things, though...not so much, in my opinion. The style just doesn't leave any room for detail. Big buggy eyes, no nose to speak of, no mouth...I just can't see the characters here.

This. I have to say the whole range doesn't appeal to me at all. Imo they don't even look like good value for money let along anything like the characters they're supposed to be. :D

I can definitely appreciate the lack of likeness. I think the Pop! figures are a niche market. I thought they were a little dumb at first, but I think what's cool about them is just the shear numbers of licenses they have and the unique spin that they put on each character. It's really neat getting that many together in a display. And they don't take up too much space either. And the price is easy on the wallet.

I think if they are generic people, then they aren't going to have great likenesses. However the majority of the pops I've seen I can tell who they are without reading the names, so the likenesses are pretty good.

Compare pops to those Re action figures and to me there's no contest. Re actions look like a toy from the dollar store and they sell them for $10.

For me I prefer exact likenesses like HT or caricatures like Pops rather than something from MacFarlane or Dark Horse that is supposed to have the likeness, but they are off, so it just looks like a bad attempt.

Those Dark Horse GoT figures don't look very good and the Funko legacy line is even worse imo.

Well, I love both the POP!s and Reaction figures and I hope they make more. I'm gonna be pissed if they don't make a Giles and Xander for both lines.

I also can't wait for the Buffy Titan vinyl figures...I already have a box preordered from EE!!! Those are totally gonna rock!! :rock

Finally got my arse into the comic shop to see the rest of these in person. I got Angel, and that's that. So him and the SDCC Buffy is the extent of my BTVS Funko collection.

IF they swap to Angel then I will buy all of them.

Finally got my arse into the comic shop to see the rest of these in person. I got Angel, and that's that. So him and the SDCC Buffy is the extent of my BTVS Funko collection.

IF they swap to Angel then I will buy all of them.

Yeah...I caved too. It was the SDCC Buffy that did it. Specifically, it was SMG herself holding it up in photos on her twitter feed. It actually does evoke Buffy pretty well with the cuts and bruises on her face. Plus I found out they had an exclusive Wishverse Willow that looked cool...and the Gentleman looked good...and then the regular Willow was actually pretty cute...

Luckily I was able to stop there (never liked Spike much, don't care about Oz, and I'm waiting on a vampire version of Angel.) But if they hit me with a Drusilla I might buy two. And Tara would be nice too. And Faith...

The thing is, now that I've done some research, these Funko Pop Vinyls are cooler than I orginally thought. First, they're less than 4 inches tall, which means the lack of detail isn't anywhere near as big a deal as it looks in the photos we see online. And looking at different lines, Funko does a pretty good job "evoking" the spirit of characters in many cases (and sometimes they even have mouths.) The Trek set is pretty sweet and a I picked up a few--the Kirk, Spock and Klingon especially are great. I love Michael Myers and Sam from Trick R Treat in the horror line, and I picked up a couple of Apes from the classic Planet of the Apes. And Cortana from Halo. So...I guess I have a collection of these things now, but sometimes I like stuff that isn't strictly representational. And the price on these is right--about ten bucks a pop, so not a big money commitment (unless you want to hunt down a popular figure that sold out a long time ago and is now fetching ridiculous ebay prices--no thanks.)

So yeah, I was wrong about these. You know, crow tastes pretty decent with tomato sauce and parmesian cheese melted over it...

They do a vampire Angel and I will buy 2!

Angel is my favorite show and if they could give me an Illyria, man, I'm gonna buy 5. And if you think I wont, you're wrong. Cause I will. And by you, I mean you in the general sense.

Back