Allosaurus VS Camarasaurus Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, an Allosaurus and a sauropod! I want this one more than the Deinosuchus/Para. dio. I can live with a smaller scale, as long as the price is appropriate. This was a good call by Sideshow to keep the line interesting. Still waiting for a Stego!

My concern if it's too small the detail might be an issue. :/ It would also be kind of weird to have a 10-12" Allosaurus with the larger maquettes and dios. I hope it's just a simply huge piece...if it's large enough to keep the detail this would also be nice proof that we can look forward to a nice sized raptor pack piece as well...the JP piece kind made me wary of the sculptors getting too small.

I think detail is one of the big selling points for this line. Going bigger seems like the best thing for them to do. However, I know that has risks in it and I can see why they may have chosen to make it smaller. If I were into the dios I would definitely prefer to pay more for a larger piece.

Most reconstructions I've seen put the Allosaurus at around 30 feet in length, which would make it closer to half the length of a typical Camarasaurus. As much as I love Marshall's rendering, it looks to me like they're grabbing a youngling that was separated from its herd.

Thirty-five feet and higher are the solid estimates for mature Allosaurs. Most of the public don't really seem to realize that adult Allosaurs encroached upon the sizes of adult T.rex specimens. They were immense, and I do mean IMMENSE carnivores. They were large, they were intelligent, and they were gregarious theropods. The true lions of the Jurassic, and as generalized predators they gradually displaced Ceratosaurs in their environmental niche, and we have evidence that they attacked if not ate Ceratosaurs as well. A large Camarasaurus would push sixty feet, and it's not outlandish to assert that a fairly old individual could be past that. Take a pair of mature Allosaurs and you have animals that should be at least half the size of their prey.

As I said in the post of Marshall's picture, it depicts juvenile Allosaurs attack a juvenile Camarasaur. The only adults seen are the Allosaurs trailing behind and waiting for an easy meal brought down by the kids. :D

Yes, at that size (boldfaced) it would be impressive and I certainly would drop the $400.

I hope you understand that the majority of us collectors buying Dinosauria are not in the same chosen field as you, Dan and Scar. What may not be "scientifically accurate" to you looks good to me.:D Again, nothing personal because I have lots of respect for guys like you who know their stuff, but quite frankly it's just techno-babble to me. Sometimes a dinosaur is just a dinosaur..... which I grew up on as a kid.:D:duff

Granted that the price needs to be reasonable. I would put it in and around the Deinosuchus diorama price. If the line loses scientific accuracy, I'll be the first to complain, and it would defeat the entire purpose of having a scientifically accurate line of dinosaur collectibles which panders to a HIGHLY specific audience - dinosaur enthusiasts with the money to shell out on collectibles which faithfully depic dinosaurs. To bring down the price would bring down the quality and diminish the trend we have going of sterling quality, low edition size, and a moderate price tag. Must. Stay. As. Is. :peace

The Deino is 264.99 for the exclusive right ? So if this dio ends up the size I want it would be around 300-350.00 not bad.

Not something I want to drop 2 or 3 times a year of course...but for this one piece I'm fine.

At least it wasn't a Diplodocus right ? ;)

Too small for me would be if the Camara was about 1/40 scale..or around 20-22" about the size of a maquette..that seems large..but it's head would only be about an inch in size and the Allos would only be 12" or so with 1-1 1/2" heads I think...smaller than anything made so far.

I sent a message to Taboada..just asking if he's the artist behind this piece..it really looks a bit like Charlie Mcgrady's work..at least waht I can see of the Allos bears a certain resemblance. If it is Taboada , maybe I can get a size out of him.. ;)

Oh no, we've seen plenty of Allosaurs and their kin reach mind-boggling proportions. What I'm referring to is the traditional Allosaurus fragilis, in which the average adult size hovers around 30 feet. Naturally, I'd be happy to delve into some journal articles if you've got any handy.

I'd say that's about what Safari was thinking...wiki says : It averaged 8.5 meters (28 ft) in length, though fragmentary remains suggest it could have reached over 12 meters (39 ft ).

File:Allosaurus_size_comparison.svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allosaurus_size_comparison.svg

Last edited:
Granted that the price needs to be reasonable. I would put it in and around the Deinosuchus diorama price. If the line loses scientific accuracy, I'll be the first to complain, and it would defeat the entire purpose of having a scientifically accurate line of dinosaur collectibles which panders to a HIGHLY specific audience - dinosaur enthusiasts with the money to shell out on collectibles which faithfully depic dinosaurs. To bring down the price would bring down the quality and diminish the trend we have going of sterling quality, low edition size, and a moderate price tag. Must. Stay. As. Is. :peace

Cool, I can respect that.:duff

The Deino is 264.99 for the exclusive right ? So if this dio ends up the size I want it would be around 300-350.00 not bad.

I can live with that, even a bit higher.

Regardless of the size (even though I definitely don't want it to be too small), I hope it's under $300....
I'd still end up paying up to $700 for it (assuming the retail price is indeed $300)...

Yikes man! God bless you for spending that much.:D

Slightly off topic, but one of the best things about living in the Panhandle of Nebraska is that I am less than three hours from both Big Al and Stan, two dino celebrities, and both beautiful specimens. I visit both several times a year. The wife tolerates it, but doesn't understand.

Oh no, we've seen plenty of Allosaurs and their kin reach mind-boggling proportions. What I'm referring to is the traditional Allosaurus fragilis, in which the average adult size hovers around 30 feet. Naturally, I'd be happy to delve into some journal articles if you've got any handy.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. If it's A.fragilis then the proportions would likely be suitable at about 30 feet or so, that being the consensus in more recent years at the size cap, just going on some the figures according to David Smith's 1998 morphometric paper; a 2005 paper by Bybee, Lee, and Lamm; and another 2006 paper by Mateus, Walen, Aart, and Antunes, to name a few. They were the Allosaurs which animals would have encountered the most frequently, and in and around 30 feet isn't outlandish for them. Big Al was a subadult so I'd prefer to leave him out of accurate calculations.

Anywhere from 30 to in excess of 40 feet were not uncommon for differentiated allosaurids roaming North America throughout the Jurassic. Look at the wide ranging number of them all found in the Morrison formation to have lived at the same time during the Jurassic and shared the same environment. A.fragilis was the most common, it seems, but then we have A.maximus (or Saurophaganax, whatever your genus preference), and E.amplexus (again the Allosaurus genus is in a bit of contention still). Both of these latter two may have regularly surpassed the sizes of T.rex adults. There are monstrous allosaurids out there. Probably A.fragilis we'll get in this diorama, again in that it's the most common. I'm extremely excited to see more images of this, as well as the accompanying featurette. The Allosaurs alone look extremely well detailed, from what I'm seeing.

The more detailed of the two is the one running from what I can tell...you can't really see much of the face of the other attacking one.

Is the whole Camarasaur present you think ? It almost lookl ike there is water or something on the base..maybe it's partially submerged and being attacked ? That would help keep the size down for sure..but I don't how well it would look. :/

The more detailed of the two is the one running from what I can tell...you can't really see much of the face of the other attacking one.

Is the whole Camarasaur present you think ? It almost lookl ike there is water or something on the base..maybe it's partially submerged and being attacked ? That would help keep the size down for sure..but I don't how well it would look. :/

I think it'd look fine partially submerged. It worked well for Deinosuchus VS Parasaurolophus. And that would help with size issues. The bigger Allos the better.

Partially submerged worked for the Deino because its an aquatic animal using its environment to attack prey. I have a little bit of a hard time picturing this one looking as good partially submerged. The Wampa attacking Luke on the Taun Taun dio suffered imo from the Wampa being partially hidden, same with the Spider-Man vs. Venom dio. I wonder when we'll get to see the whole thing.

In terms of accuracy would the Allosaurs have been likely to attack a dinosaur while its partially in water? It seems to me that would put them at a disadvantage. But I know next to nothing about these so that is purely a guess.

Definitely looks that way, doesn't it? The running Allo has a nice scar on the left side of the skull. Hard to tell right now with the attacking animal because we don't have that good of a view of it there, but it certainly proves tantalizing.

I'd say the entire Camarasaur is present. Having that size of a sauropod makes it practical to include both organisms bodily in the sculpt. The sculpt may come in more than one piece, such as including the tail separately to assemble.

when will these guys bring a decent Raptor

Definitely soon. Dromaeosaurs are at the top of everyone's must-see list here. Particularly with the new discovery of a venomous species of raptor. :rock

Partially submerged worked for the Deino because its an aquatic animal using its environment to attack prey. I have a little bit of a hard time picturing this one looking as good partially submerged. The Wampa attacking Luke on the Taun Taun dio suffered imo from the Wampa being partially hidden, same with the Spider-Man vs. Venom dio. I wonder when we'll get to see the whole thing.

In terms of accuracy would the Allosaurs have been likely to attack a dinosaur while its partially in water? It seems to me that would put them at a disadvantage. But I know next to nothing about these so that is purely a guess.

The Camarasaur looks like it's in flight here, not struggling to free itself from being mired... but that's just from going on what I see in that sidelong preview shot.

In terms of accuracy, Allosaurs would have been fantastic swimmers. We have a series of 12 fossilized footprints in Spain from what would have been shallow aquatic regions wherein theropod whole footrpints are present, as well as scraping prints, meaning that the legs would have been kicking just above the terrain. That served as the basis for WWD to depict Eustreptospondylus swimming.

Sinornithosaurus FTW!

I still wish they'd been a bit more daring with the colors. The sauropod's burgundy hide looks very much like the Triceratops, and these Allosaurs look very dark. I can't help but wonder if something brighter, or at least some contrasting patterns, would help bring out some of the sculptural details. Obviously I'll need to see the whole piece, though. Hurry it up, Sideshow!

Back