Statue Dinosauria: Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus Repaint Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think David's T-rex is the most difficult one to repaint if it needs to be better than the original version...because most fans are very satisfied with the original one in both sculpt and painting. Actually, I don't want to see the repaint of David's T-rex...I rather Sideshow create new dinosaurs instead of doing the non-stop repainting, or...at least...take a break...
I like the new Allosaurus more, but prefer the original Camar. If the new Camar. needs to be blue...they should at least make it 'grey-blue' not sky-blue...the color's too light for giant dinosaurs without more pattern and levels on skin.
I don't like the 2nd Spino...Sideshow obiviously put more effort on this repainting than the 1st one. but I think the skin pattern is too much for her. It doesn't need to be on Spino's entire body, just focus on some part will be good.

You're absolutely right www1b24! I own the original T-rex by David, and I am extremely pleased with the painting. Really should make a break with the old statues, and launch new statues. You're right when you say to that blue color is too light. If we look at national geographic, we see that herbivorous animals are camouflaged in dark colors and shades of brown to be reflected in arid land and bushes. These animals are virtually invisible to carnivores:wink1:. How may now 80 million years ago, Camarasaurus to avoid the predators with such bright colors? Sideshow was inspired by the original model, precisely what I said earlier. Spino .... is colored like a salamander LOL

In case of the Spinosaurus maquette, I like the repaint version more since the original one had pretty dull colors. Back to topic, the allosaurs do look pretty good, but the overall coloration of the Camarasaurus looks kind of out of place. Vibrant blue colors of a large sauropod seems pretty unlikely imo.

I think David's T-rex is the most difficult one to repaint if it needs to be better than the original version...because most fans are very satisfied with the original one in both sculpt and painting. Actually, I don't want to see the repaint of David's T-rex...I rather Sideshow create new dinosaurs instead of doing the non-stop repainting, or...at least...take a break...
I like the new Allosaurus more, but prefer the original Camar. If the new Camar. needs to be blue...they should at least make it 'grey-blue' not sky-blue...the color's too light for giant dinosaurs without more pattern and levels on skin.
I don't like the 2nd Spino...Sideshow obiviously put more effort on this repainting than the 1st one. but I think the skin pattern is too much for her. It doesn't need to be on Spino's entire body, just focus on some part will be good.

Since new SS T-rex release is pending, maybe Krentz version will be spared the re-hash BS? Will wait to see how far SS is going with this, as it seems they are willing to tread on all past sacred cows. If they start in with Marvel & Star wars lines, watch out.:slap

You're absolutely right www1b24! I own the original T-rex by David, and I am extremely pleased with the painting. Really should make a break with the old statues, and launch new statues. You're right when you say to that blue color is too light. If we look at national geographic, we see that herbivorous animals are camouflaged in dark colors and shades of brown to be reflected in arid land and bushes. These animals are virtually invisible to carnivores:wink1:. How may now 80 million years ago, Camarasaurus to avoid the predators with such bright colors? Sideshow was inspired by the original model, precisely what I said earlier. Spino .... is colored like a salamander LOL

Yes!! I'm the fan(also the owner) of Krentz T-Rex, too...we're lucky to have it...If they create the second Krentz T-rex or 2nd Apatosaurus...I'll be very nervous (not exciting)...I don't know why...it's like someone who's gonna announce the 'best Oscar actor', and I'm the nominee...

Since new SS T-rex release is pending, maybe Krentz version will be spared the re-hash BS? Will wait to see how far SS is going with this, as it seems they are willing to tread on all past sacred cows. If they start in with Marvel & Star wars lines, watch out.:slap

Yes, actually I have no problem with their 'Let's re-born the pass!!' project, but if they do this frequently on every line not only dinosaurs...I'm afraid that fans may question...Do their creative powers have been exhausted? so they turn to the old goods...or they just be lazy~~~

Hey people! What's happening with this thread? Are dino collectors buying this revised sculpt? Let's hear from you, lets make some noise so interest doesn't die. As dino collectors, we seem like the least vocal, as opposed to other collectors regarding other lines (eq; Marvel, LOTR, Star Wars........etc). let's pump some blood in these ancient bones, lest the makers forget us!

there's just so much out there now buyers are forced to pick and choose. I'd like to get theses variants but I'll wait until the ES is set.

Any preliminary drawings or concept art of new Trex ? Thanks

there's just so much out there now buyers are forced to pick and choose. I'd like to get theses variants but I'll wait until the ES is set.

Yeah, fair enough. With Comic Con around the corner I guess we're all in wait & see mode. I hope they showcase the new Rex at the show, so as to pump some new blood into this line. Bigger, badder, with seemingly improved paint apps.

cam1.jpg
cam2.jpg
cam3.jpg

WOW!!! The paint apps look great, & I too have this dio on order, as I missed out on the first released version. Though I prefer this paint pattern over the original, I had concerns with the blue/green coloring of the Camarasaurus, but your pics show a much more "earthy" neutral hue of color. Is this the case, or is it due to lighting? Please let us know, & congrats on a wonderful piece!

Beautiful pictures, but honestly it's very difficult for Chinese painters to reproduce the artwork of Riojas. I prefer the original version a thousand times faster. Maybe who knows, a few years ago Sideshow worked with a team of Chinese painters, slightly more talented.
PS:Too bad, this sculpture made by Jorge Blanco is destroyed by this horrible painting. I saw today some pictures of the new Carnotaurus. I was deeply disappointed on either side of Dinosaur was in another painting scheme. I thought there were two dinosaurs. Horrible.

Lol, some strong opinions here. I was holding out for a bronze version so missed the original, and I too was concerned this one would be "TOO" colorful. These pics make it look a bit browner, but the real thing is a lot less vibrant than the official photos. Here's a pic of it under white lights.

0217151016g (1600x900).jpg

To be honest I absolutely love this color scheme. It stands out and works really well together. IMO it was an unexpected stroke of genius on the painters part. The Camy has a few different tones of blue worked into it that are really well done, but the face is kinda flat and uninteresting. If they had done a better job painting the stripes on the Allos and put more TLC into the faces, this would be a real work of art. It makes me sad they went with such a dull paint job for the new T-rex.

REALLY hated the flat black plastic looking sides of the base with this piece in the original. It seems lazy and its disappointing to see half of it still here, wedged awkwardly into that stone (second) base plate :slap wouldve been much better if all bases were like the original Rex, Spino and Styraco.

Lol, some strong opinions here. I was holding out for a bronze version so missed the original, and I too was concerned this one would be "TOO" colorful. These pics make it look a bit browner, but the real thing is a lot less vibrant than the official photos. Here's a pic of it under white lights.

View attachment 167388

To be honest I absolutely love this color scheme. It stands out and works really well together. IMO it was an unexpected stroke of genius on the painters part. The Camy has a few different tones of blue worked into it that are really well done, but the face is kinda flat and uninteresting. If they had done a better job painting the stripes on the Allos and put more TLC into the faces, this would be a real work of art. It makes me sad they went with such a dull paint job for the new T-rex.

Thanks for the pic, & good too hear the colors are muted & not as "loud" as initially feared.. I just noticed you also own the raptor skeleton, which is seen in the background in front of window. How is the quality of this piece? Only saw pics of proto a while ago, which looked really good, what's your opinion? And any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back