300: Rise of an Empire (2014) SPOILERS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Movie was ok, worth a watch at least. It was pretty predictable, copied a lot from first film. I enjoyed the tie in to first 300 film and visuals etc.

Awesome movie! Not as good as the original '300' but a great companion piece.

For those confused, the movie is a prequel AND sequel. Mostly because a lot of the action is going on concurrently while Leonidas and the 300 Spartans march on Thermopylae. Think of it like a TV show, they'd show clips of the 300 and then flash over to scenes with what Themistocles (and Persia) are doing. They mention a lot about the action going on with the 300, so you aren't entirely lost (like messengers coming to Themistocles and telling him that Leonidas had fallen).

Stapleton did a good job. Butler's Leonidas is a much more interesting character but Stapleton's Themistocles is a much calmer, more "strategic" fighter. He displays his experience in command with the fleet war he has with Artemisia. He is from Athens, and thus, as much a politician and strategist as he is a warrior..which was common for Ancient Greek leaders (see also Pericles). As told by some of his dialogue, he expected Leonidas to fall which would give him the lynchpin to bring the Greek city-states together.

Eva Green's Artemisia is ridiculously hot and deliciously evil. By far she is the best character out of the movie and the most interesting. She's utterly ruthless and manipulative. It's too bad they didn't dwell more on her origin but they did have to get to all the battles. Eva Green does a great job of balancing the character as both a military commander and a sociopath.

Extended cameos by some familiar faces from 300 too. I hope they go the route of finishing up the Greco-Persian wars with the Battle of Plataea which was the final land battle of the wars. Once again, you can introduce a new main character (Pausanias, Greek Commander-in-Chief, a Spartan general who served as regent after Leonidas' death), a new villain (Mardonius) and have hold-overs from the previous movies.

Looking forward to seeing this one. Won't be until next week though. But at least I'll avoid the crowds.

This track was stuck in my head after the movie with Eva Green looking hella deadly

300__Rise_of_an_Empire_48-880x320.jpg

This kicked *** in the box office...around 130 million $ us and world wide

I'm very happy it's doing well. Maybe now we 'll get some decent 1/6 figures. I really want something to go with my HT Leonidas. Themistocles and Xerxes would be great.

No doubt this will make some good money/profit for the 100 million $ budget it cost to make

Awesome movie! Not as good as the original '300' but a great companion piece.

For those confused, the movie is a prequel AND sequel. Mostly because a lot of the action is going on concurrently while Leonidas and the 300 Spartans march on Thermopylae. Think of it like a TV show, they'd show clips of the 300 and then flash over to scenes with what Themistocles (and Persia) are doing. They mention a lot about the action going on with the 300, so you aren't entirely lost (like messengers coming to Themistocles and telling him that Leonidas had fallen).

Stapleton did a good job. Butler's Leonidas is a much more interesting character but Stapleton's Themistocles is a much calmer, more "strategic" fighter. He displays his experience in command with the fleet war he has with Artemisia. He is from Athens, and thus, as much a politician and strategist as he is a warrior..which was common for Ancient Greek leaders (see also Pericles). As told by some of his dialogue, he expected Leonidas to fall which would give him the lynchpin to bring the Greek city-states together.

Eva Green's Artemisia is ridiculously hot and deliciously evil. By far she is the best character out of the movie and the most interesting. She's utterly ruthless and manipulative. It's too bad they didn't dwell more on her origin but they did have to get to all the battles. Eva Green does a great job of balancing the character as both a military commander and a sociopath.

Extended cameos by some familiar faces from 300 too. I hope they go the route of finishing up the Greco-Persian wars with the Battle of Plataea which was the final land battle of the wars. Once again, you can introduce a new main character (Pausanias, Greek Commander-in-Chief, a Spartan general who served as regent after Leonidas' death), a new villain (Mardonius) and have hold-overs from the previous movies.

No Cyclops or Minotaurs or Medusa, or any of the Greek Mythology creatures are in it? Man that stinks.........JK

Saw this movie; thought it was 'ok' - definitely a good effort, but as much as I love Eva green (and her bwebs), she was miscast. At no point did I believe she was this ultimate bad ***....just a master of pouting!

Went to see it last night. It's just not as strong or mythic as 300 but it was very enjoyable.

Was tempted to wear my helmet to the cinema but I am pushing 38 so...no.

Eamon%20Spartan.jpg

That you in the helmet?^ Very convincing.

Saw this tonight. Like Bardoon said, good companion piece to the original. Certainly leaves things open for a third film, hopefully it does well enough to get it.

First 10 days over 236 million $$ worldwide...A definite Success...did well...I easily could see a # 3 happening

Saw it yesterday and loved it. The fight scenes were done so well. Loved the ending--though it seemed to conflict with the ending of the first film as far as I remember.

Made me appreciate Xerxes more though and that's more than I ever would have expected going into it...

I saw this on Sunday and I enjoyed it! Compared to the first film, it's not as strong, but the battles were better then the first movie imo. I do wish they had more of the bats__t crazy stuff like goat people and giant guys with severed arm blades the first movie had, there was some stuff like that but not as striking as the first movie. I also wish the ending on ROAE was stronger. But I liked this enough that I want to see ROAE again. Eva Green was the standout of the film.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. The fight scenes were done so well. Loved the ending--though it seemed to conflict with the ending of the first film as far as I remember.

Made me appreciate Xerxes more though and that's more than I ever would have expected going into it...

The ending of the first movie jumped forward to the Battle of Plataea that ended the war as mentioned here by Bardoon. I don't see anything conflicting with the first movie.
The real Xerxes is still a prick, his father Darius was not wounded by Themistocles, he simply died of old age while planning the second invasion of Greece. Xerxes really just wanted to conquer Greece because his father wanted to and to prove himself.
I hope there's another sequel. I'd like the third movie to finish the Battle of Salamis and then finish the film and the series with Plataea as well as show how badly Themistocles was treated by the Greeks following the war.

Last edited:
I saw this on Sunday and I enjoyed it! Compared to the first film, it's not as strong, but the battles were better then the first movie imo. I do wish they had more of the bats__t crazy stuff like goat people and giant guys with severed arm blades the first movie had, there was some stuff like that but not as striking as the first movie. I also wish the ending on ROAE was stronger. But I liked this enough that I want to see ROAE again. Eva Green was the standout of the film.

The ending of the first movie jumped forward to the Battle of Plataea that ended the war as mentioned here by Bardoon. I don't see anything conflicting with the first movie.
The real Xerxes is still a prick, his father Darius was not wounded by Themistocles, he simply died of old age while planning the second invasion of Greece. Xerxes really just wanted to conquer Greece to prove himself.
I hope there's another sequel. I'd like the third movie to finish the Battle of Salamis and then finish the film and the series with Plataea.

That was my confusion. The Plateae scene in the first film. I thought the ending of 300 took place immediately after the first film. So to squeeze this film inbetween I thought it conflicted. Thanks for the perspective.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You can say anything about Miller and Snyder, but "300" was a cool novel and its adaptation is awesome all around.

RoaE is just pathetic **** wrote by graphomaniacs and directed by talentless ***hole.
The only reason to watch it is Eva Green's performance.
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. So bad I :lol 'd till the credits.

Latest posts

Back