2015 Academy Award Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Keaton soaring > Arnold waking up/not waking up from his trip to Mahs

Ahnuld sacrificing himself for mankind by disintegrating in molten steel > Keaton soaring

Did anyone get a kick out of the Iron Man and Transformers cosplayers beating the **** out of each other towards the end of Birdman? You also catch a messed up Man of Steel poster in the background when he goes to jump for the first time.

Last edited:
Yeah that is true. I can see the ignorance for sure. I naturally keep all that in mind, as I hope to eventually get into the cinematic field. To me, like I had stated, was Selma wasn't appealing to me. I also largely believe that it is pushed upon other agendas. Just like that Mandela film that came out a while back.

I don't mind much really as I really enjoyed Grand Budapest and would choose that over some of the other nominations.

I know what you mean with regards to the Mandela film. I usually don't bother with biopics in general simply because I find them to be dull & often far too idolizing of the person in question & not often enough do they focus on the dark side of a persons character because that's not what Hollywood wants us to see. They want us to see a powerfully uplifting movie about someone who is almost beyond human. This is actually the reason that British actor/comedian Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of the proposed biopic about one of my heroes, Freddie Mercury, because he wanted it to be a gritty & realistic tale of his life but Brian May & Roger Taylor (former band members with Freddie & also the producers of the would be film) both want the movie to be more light-hearted & uplifting.

I think the final straw, for me, came when I watched Ali. I'm a huge boxing fan & Muhammad Ali is another hero of mine & the film was directed by one of my all time favourite directors, Michael Mann. But I found the film to be terribly dull & it told us nothing that hadn't already been said a thousand times in one of the many documentaries about the great man. I thought, what's the point of this? I then realised that if Michael Mann can direct a film so mind-numbingly boring about someone as incredible & who's lived a life so fascinating as Muhammad Ali then I don't think that I want to watch anymore of them.

The score for Theory of Everything is rather good. Hope that wins in that category at least. Haven't seen the film though.

Lego Movie getting the snub is a HUGE disappointment.

What is the Academy thinking? An animated movie with a good message, great voice-acting and comedy for all ages. Even has better critical acclaim than the actual nominees.

I know what you mean with regards to the Mandela film. I usually don't bother with biopics in general simply because I find them to be dull & often far too idolizing of the person in question & not often enough do they focus on the dark side of a persons character because that's not what Hollywood wants us to see. They want us to see a powerfully uplifting movie about someone who is almost beyond human. This is actually the reason that British actor/comedian Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of the proposed biopic about one of my heroes, Freddie Mercury, because he wanted it to be a gritty & realistic tale of his life but Brian May & Roger Taylor (former band members with Freddie & also the producers of the would be film) both want the movie to be more light-hearted & uplifting.

I think the final straw, for me, came when I watched Ali. I'm a huge boxing fan & Muhammad Ali is another hero of mine & the film was directed by one of my all time favourite directors, Michael Mann. But I found the film to be terribly dull & it told us nothing that hadn't already been said a thousand times in one of the many documentaries about the great man. I thought, what's the point of this? I then realised that if Michael Mann can direct a film so mind-numbingly boring about someone as incredible & who's lived a life so fascinating as Muhammad Ali then I don't think that I want to watch anymore of them.

Never really considered that. Which makes sense, I saw Unbroken, and while I did enjoy it, my issue is that Jolie also didn't speak about how Zamperini became alcoholic along with other "sinful" acts. Could it be because he passed away a few months back before its release, or because her entire goal was to make an uplifting film, we'll never know really.

I agree that, that has become an issue. No one wants to truly get the dark side of people. It's often left for our imagination, but many don't really delve into that concept. I mostly try to avoid biopic, unless there really isn't much to catch. I was planning on seeing BoTFA in IMAX, unfortunately it got busy and I wasn't going to waste time driving back home, so the next one available was American Sniper. Would I have seen AS? Maybe, probably not. Yet that situation kind of gave me a choice to do something. I saw Unbroken because my mother wanted to see it, and she bought my ticket; kind of had to on that one. I don't have an issue about people not giving the full dark side, but I believe those tend to be some of the best ones but are largely made as fictional work based on true events/characters/ideas like "The Wrestler".

To this day though, I admit that "The Fighter", while not largely a bio, still did a ****ing fine job. Especially with a cast like that.

The score for Theory of Everything is rather good. Hope that wins in that category at least. Haven't seen the film though.
That and the photography is gorgeous. I don't mind the occasional romance film, so if you go in thinking it's a romantic flick instead of a science biopic, you'll be solid. I enjoyed it, and Jones also did a fantastic job. Redmayne was incredible. He definitely is contending for best actor, him as well as Cumberbatch did fantastic.
As long as J.K. Simmons wins Best Supporting Actor, I will be happy.
Haven't seen Whiplash, but I've heard the buzz, and no doubt sounds like he did a great job.
The prevailing theory is that the live-action scenes at the end disqualified it from being included in the Best Animated category.

It's looking more and more that, that could be the exact reason to that.

So I got a notification that AMC will be running Oscar nominated marathons on 2/14 and 2/21. I'm pretty tempted to do so. Though, I only haven't seen Boyhood, Birdman, or Whiplash; I don't mind seeing a few of those other ones again like Imitation Game or Theory of Everything.

Never really considered that. Which makes sense, I saw Unbroken, and while I did enjoy it, my issue is that Jolie also didn't speak about how Zamperini became alcoholic along with other "sinful" acts. Could it be because he passed away a few months back before its release, or because her entire goal was to make an uplifting film, we'll never know really.

I agree that, that has become an issue. No one wants to truly get the dark side of people. It's often left for our imagination, but many don't really delve into that concept. I mostly try to avoid biopic, unless there really isn't much to catch. I was planning on seeing BoTFA in IMAX, unfortunately it got busy and I wasn't going to waste time driving back home, so the next one available was American Sniper. Would I have seen AS? Maybe, probably not. Yet that situation kind of gave me a choice to do something. I saw Unbroken because my mother wanted to see it, and she bought my ticket; kind of had to on that one. I don't have an issue about people not giving the full dark side, but I believe those tend to be some of the best ones but are largely made as fictional work based on true events/characters/ideas like "The Wrestler".

I saw that you enjoyed this over on the Rate the Movie thread. I was out of line on the American Sniper thread. I'm glad that my posts have been deleted. I'd had a really bad day, I was in a really bad mood & I came onto this site with a really bad attitude. It's a thread about the film, not the man or the politics, & my very first post, which started the whole thing, was incredibly antagonistic, which I regret.

[/QUOTE]To this day though, I admit that "The Fighter", while not largely a bio, still did a ****ing fine job. Especially with a cast like that.[/QUOTE]

I'm not just a boxing fan but also a Micky Ward fan. He really epitomises that Rocky Balboa style of fighter that is the perennial underdog done good. So I loved The Fighter. I'm glad that it was recognised in the awards season. Those Best Supporting Oscar wins were richly deserved.

Saw American Sniper. It was good but a little too "Hurt Locker" from a filmmaking standpoint for me to rate it above Grand Budapest or Birdman. Catching Boyhood at a Portland, OR theater pub this evening.

You'll like Boyhood I think. Probably not the kid, but Hawke and Arquette. There's a bunch of cool pop culture references in it from the past decade, one that you're going to love . . .

On a side note, Keaton isn't winning best actor at the Oscars next month. Redmayne will win it unless Bradley Cooper slides in from this hype or Harvey Weinstein manipulates the game for Cumberbatch with Imitation Game. Keaton doesn't have a chance, dude is done.

I bet Birdman goes 0-9 with it's wins/noms and gets nothing too.

Even though I still have not had a chance to watch Birdman, I have been throwing my support towards Michael Keaton to win everything he's nominated for. I did the same thing last year with mcconaughey. Keaton is a long time great actor and he deserves the accolades.

Back