Rank the movies of 2014

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a cbm/sci-fi crowd but it looks like a lot of you really need to get out and see Boyhood, Birdman, and Grand Budapest.
Definitely will.
It's just that I hate to pay for dubbed experience so home release is the frequent answer to this problem.

Sorry, this thread requires common sense if you want to participate. Title isn't changing. First world pet peeves will just have to be endured.

Whatever, Dude. Have fun ranking 1/10 of the movies from 2014 with lists full of hit movies everyone as seen at their local multiplex. Typical pretentious Nerd-sh$t!

Nice thread :clap So, here's my list:

1)...

Uh.. wait...

My point exactly. This thread is stupid and meaningless as it stands right now. I highly doubt anyone on this board has seen every movie released this year.

No it's not fine. There's no qualifier in there to indicate anything than ranking all the movies of 2014. Sorry. Not going to let it go. It's titles like this that get my pet peeve meter going nuts!

Whatever, Dude. Have fun ranking 1/10 of the movies from 2014 with lists full of hit movies everyone as seen at their local multiplex. Typical pretentious Nerd-sh$t!

tumblr_n3spepOo8K1rey868o1_500.gif

tumblr_lgbe18T4ml1qg39ewo1_500.gif

jennifer-lawrence-angry-gifs-jamsessionmb.gif

abnt.gif

There were very few films I actually liked this year. Getting very jaded with mainstream cinema in general.

Best films:

1) The Wind Rises
2) Nightcrawler
3) Grand Budapest Hotel
4) The Raid 2: Berandal
5) Fury

Honourable mentions: Edge of Tomorrow, Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Haven't seen Boyhood or Birdman yet - and The Wind Rises might be cheating as it's technically a 2013 film but didn't get a theatrical release in the West until 2014.

Worst films:

5) Robocop
4) Dracula Untold
3) Expendables 3
2) The Signal
1) Transformers 4: Nonsensical Ominous Subtitle

Dishonourable mentions: 300: Rise of an Empire, Sin City 2

I actually managed to avoid being dragged to Transformers 4, but between the onslaught of trailers and TV spots and CinemaSins dissecting it over the course of 40 minutes, it's clear to me it's exactly the same film as the other three and that every print, HDD, DVD and Blu-Ray of it should be burned and the ashes buried encased in lead, in salted earth with two feet of concrete poured over the top.

Finally - film I didn't know whether to put into best or worst list:

1) American Sniper

On the one hand a very well-made, frank and well-acted portrayal of the horrors of war by one of my favourite actor/directors. On the other, possibly a lionisation of a deranged, delusional fantasist. I'm no freedom-hating pinko commie hippy vegan liberal, but as much as I wanted to like the film I couldn't shake the impression I was very much being given one half of a two-sided story.

1. Gone Girl

2. How to Train Your Dragon 2

3. Whiplash

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Nightcrawler

6. John Wick

7. The Lego Movie

8. 300: Rise of an Empire

9. Edge of Tomorrow

10. Robocop

11. X-Men Days of Future Past

12. The Raid 2: Berandal

13. Dracula Untold

14. Hercules

15. American Sniper

Movies I liked.

Whiplash

boyhood

Interstellar

Fury

American sniper

The babadook

Edge of Tomorrow

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Movies that I did not like

Gone Girl ( I did not like the ending)

Godzilla ( Easily the worst movie I have seen this year)

SnowPiercer ( I thought it was overated)

Captain America ( I did not hate it, I just didnt enjoy it as much as the first one)

Guardians of the galaxy ( The movie kinda bored me )

Movies that I want to see

Nightcrawler

Birdman

The Imitation Game

The Theory of Everything

I guess my favorite movie this year was Fury because I watched it twice in the theater. Once by myself and once with my girlfriend. I loved the movie so much I wanted to take my girlfriend with me to show her.

Edit: I forgot to add the last Hobbit movie as the second worst movie that I have seen this year.

I was trying to think of a list, and then I wondered why it's so difficult, and, the truth is that I think, for me, anyway, it's impossible to accurately gauge how I felt about all of the films that I saw. Not only because there were so many, but, also, because it's completely subjective and dependent entirely on how I'm feeling while deliberating on the subject. I actually think it'd be a pretty interesting experiment. Have someone list every film they saw in a particular year, and then rank them, then come back on a different day, and rerank the same films. I'm curious just how similar they'd be.

It's nothing against this thread, but it just got me wondering why these "What's your favorite ______" threads are always so difficult, and it's something that crossed my mind.

Last edited:
How would you rank the films of 2014 based on your own personal preferences?

My list of the movies I've seen:

1. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Boyhood (If I were to rank by quality alone then this would be #1. It's probably one of the most amazing films I've ever seen.)
4. Birdman
5. Snowpiercer
6. X-Men: Days of Future Past (I'm surprised that when I think about it I actually prefer this one to GOTG)
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Fury
9. Into the Woods
10. The Lego Movie
11. Big Hero 6
12. The Grand Budapest Hotel (again if I were to rank by quality alone this would be near the top)
13. The Imitation Game
14. The Railway Man
15. American Sniper
16. Godzilla
17. Whiplash
18. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
19. Maleficent
20. Edge of Tomorrow
21. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
22. How to Train your Dragon 2
23. Robocop
24. Transformers: Age of Extinction

I enjoyed every one of the above films, even TF:AOE.

Then there was:

25. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (which I was pretty "meh" about)

Junk I didn't like:

26. 300: Rise of an Empire
27. Divergent
28. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
29. The Other Woman (didn't watch the whole thing)

Fortunately I didn't have to sit through any of those last four in an actual movie theater.

Updated my list to account for now having seen Whiplash and How To Train Your Dragon 2 and I just had to bump Birdman up a couple notches after seeing it a couple more times. Birdman is probably the most all around best acted, written, photographed and edited film of the bunch but I'm still just more amazed by Boyhood and being such a big fan of Middle-Earth and Cap they'll stay as my top faves. Whiplash was very, very good but it isn't a movie that has really stayed with me nor do I see myself ever owning it or possibly even watching it again.

Still need to see Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, Interstellar and John Wick.

My top 5 for 2014:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Whiplash

3. Birdman

4. Gone Girl

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Back