12" Inch Figure Dewback A New Hope

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely not thrilled by the pricetag, but I will not be passing on this one. An absolute MUST for me! :yess:

I still think the base is unecessary, plus if the base wasn't there it would probably knock down the price by at least $50.00..

And then Sideshow would charge $150 for the "super fantastic Star Wars sandy base add-on for the dewback".

These prices are just absurd now. Costs have not gone up that much over the years since prices were more reasonable to justify these price leaps... key word there, LEAPS.

Sean

My thoughts for Dewback:

Price aside. lack of articulation does bug me. Even with slight movement of the legs I did be very happy, at least it wouldn't forever be stuck in the same pose each time I view it.

I really hope this is not made of Polystone, I will never get use to the idea of a Polystone creature. Walls and floors are perfect but life forms?.. don't like that.

A pair of binoculars would have fitted perfectly into the side pouches. Thats is an essential item, I do ponder over why didn't Sideshow take that bit of an extra effort.

I actually like the sand base for Dewback but hope its not permanently attached to the legs. With and without the base display options would be nice.

Saying what I said. I will very likely be getting both Dewback and rider. Sideshow did do a fantastic job with sculpting Dewback.

Last edited:
This isn't supposed to be a Premium Format figure... it should be a 1:6 Figure, ala Jabba.

I think it's supposed to be more along the lines of the figure 'Environment' for lack of a better term than a figure. And it is in 1:6 scale. Most of the environments are made of Polystone or similar materials and are made for 1:6 scale figures. Look at Yoda's Hut....pushing $300 itself.

I'm as frustrated as anyone on here with the price, as I do think it's about $50-$75 too high at least, but I'm still trying to figure out a way to get it....be it using reward points, or finding it through an etailer for 10-15%off perhaps. There's just something about it that is very captivating and would easily be the first thing that people see in my display if I do end up getting it.

It just seems as though there is some confusion as to what this is supposed to be (a figure) vs. what it really is (a figure environment).

Last edited:
And if anyone wants to see something REALLY absurdly overpriced, check out the Cinamaquette Vader.....a cool 2 Grand on that thing, and the pose and detail leave a little to be desired.

seeing it as a "figure environment" is a good way of seeing the Dewback. as long as the production run mirrors this prototype and is durable i will be down for one. the edition size will be the kicker though… if set too high, this lizard is bound to see price reductions as store / warehouse shelving is precious.

Im sure that this has been discussed previously (too lazy and time constrained to read previous posts) but the Storm sitting on the Dewy looks crappy. He doesnt site right. I think you would have to display them standing next to each other.

From Sideshow's site:

The Sandtrooper Deluxe Figure – Desert Sands Detachment 12-inch Figure will be priced at $134.99. The Dewback 12-inch Figure Related Product will be priced at $299.99 and will have a 10%, or $30/per piece, Non-Refundable Deposit charged within 24 to 48 hours on Pre-Orders of 2 pieces. Both figures will be sold on a first come, first served basis, and will have the FLEXPay option available as a payment choice when placing your Pre-Orders. Make sure you log into your newsletter account on May 26th, 2011 to secure these pieces for your collection.

It would be awesome if SSC peeps had the balls to come in and explain what in the hell is happening with their prices.

The thing looks pretty much perfect to me. No problem with the lack of articulation or anything. This is exactly how they could do a rancor. Of course, back in 2007 if they did this product it would be $200 and a Rancor would have been $400 and I probably would have bought them both.

Now, SSC is out of touch with my sensibilities.

My own economics, and I would guess its the same for many others here, is with the prices of food and gas going up, my paycheck going down via higher taxes and my employer cutbacks, I have less money to spend on frivolous items like toys and statues. So for SSC to continually raise their prices just doesn't connect with me. I understand they need to eat, but I just don't think their prices are in tune with reality.

I think they're counting on regular people to make stupid financial choices as I don't think they could rely on the rich to keep this line going.

As much as I bust Prog chops on the baby bird syndrome, he is 100% right on the above, well said sir.

$300.00 plus shipping I can’t really justify getting this, I wish I could but that’s 3 other figures I could get. If it was $75 less I probably would pull the trigger. I have the Hasbro Dewback which is inferior, but with a new paint job and some reworking could be a diamond in the ruff.

Back