12" Inch Figure Dewback A New Hope

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how I missed this yesterday, but I just caught up with everything!

Wow! The Dewback looks great! Very impressive! I'm not too surprised at the price, TBH. Expensive, yes. But not surprising. The lack of articulation is also a non-issue for me too. I don't think there are that many positions to really put this beast in anyway. A movable head and tail are nice in theory, but really, is it that much of a deal breaker that he can't look to the left or the right? Although it might have been good to have the base removable, so those who want to place the dewback on something else, can do so if they choose. But I can see it being an issue of stability.

And the trooper is pretty cool that he comes with so much! Perfect as an all-in-1.

Way too pricey and big for me, but still awesome to see it made.

I still plan to get this piece at some point. It's just too OT not to get... and it's just a classic from back when Star Wars was just Star Wars.

I'll see what retailers ask, then either get it that way or wait a year and see if I can snag a deal.

But this piece will be mine. Patience.

curious to see what eventual in hand thoughts will be. i think it looks a tad small in the rear, :lol.

I honestly don't see the Dewback being produced in Polystone. It just doesn't make sense to me they would have a plastic 12" figure combined with a fragile Polystone figure. I guess we'll see.

It wouldn't surprise me it'll be hollow inside. :monkey1

Last edited:
I honestly don't see the Dewback being produced in Polystone. It just desn't make sense to me they would have a plastic 12" figure combined with a fragile Polystone figure. I guess we'll see.

It wouldn't surprise me it'll be hollow inside. :monkey1

I'll bet its like the idol pedestal -- hollow plastic, polystone base.

This monster would be way too heavy if its all polystone. Shipping would be as much as the statue.

This monster would be way too heavy if its all polystone. Shipping would be as much as the statue.

If that's the case then it's absolutely, grotesquely overpriced.

Yeah, I can see it being hollow plastic with polystone base.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say the final piece is going to be vinyl like Jabba, or it would just be too damn heavy. That's a good thing in the sense that it will be much more durable and won't break in shipping.

As for price of the item, vinyl and plastic may seem like 'cheaper' material to use, but really it's more expensive to produce because the molds are more expensive to make, unlike polystone where you can just make cheap silicon molds. People complained that Boba Fett's body was made of plastic, but he was much more expensive and difficult to make because of it. Plastic doesn't mean cheap. And heavy doesn't mean more valuable.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say the final piece is going to be vinyl like Jabba, or it would just be too damn heavy. That's a good thing in the sense that it will be much more durable and won't break in shipping.

As for price of the item, vinyl and plastic may seem like 'cheaper' material to use, but really it's more expensive to produce because the molds are more expensive to make, unlike polystone where you can just make cheap silicon molds. People complained that Boba Fett's body was made of plastic, but he was much more expensive and difficult to make because of it. Plastic doesn't mean cheap. And heavy doesn't mean more valuable.

Good points on the production expenses.

I like it and I want it. But that price... I'm debating what to do. If I can make a sizeable dent with rewards points I'll have no problem picking it up.

I can see where most people would be turned off by the price. Especially if they collect other lines and other products. I only collect Star Wars 1/6, the cool Premium Format here and there, and Mattel's Ghostbusters line so I don't have my collecting funds tied really anywhere and can Flex Pay this beast if I need to.

Actually, molds for plastic items in the small Edition Sizes that Sideshow produces (unlike, say Hasbro and Mattel which have to use the expensive metal molds because they produce in the hundreds of thousands and millions) really aren't that much more expensive. It's a myth. I know it, because I work with resin and other plastic molds all the time.

I want one---Question---Is this the type of sand-trooper that they show in the movies with this beast?
This will be my first trooper--just want to make sure this isn't just another variant
THX

Can someone answer this for me please?

I still think the base is unecessary, plus if the base wasn't there
it would probably knock down the price by at least $50.00.

O well , I'm not buying it . I'm a little miffed by the price but the good news is that it allows me to get the other 3 figures that I have on order instead .

I guess it could be vinyl, but if that's the case it really does seem too expensive. Just compare it to Jabba. The dewback looks like it's somewhat bigger overall, but the two pieces are at least comparable. Jabba retailed for $120. Sure, prices in general have gone up since he came out, but I'm having trouble figuring out why this is 2.5 times as expensive as Jabba was.

Back