1/6 Premier Toys - The Marauder (Mad Max 2 Wez)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1750).png
    Screenshot (1750).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Looks great. (y) Defo gives it a more realistic look, was a bit cartoony before
Thank you! :)
Yeah, that's what bugged me. I mean, on the shelf you don't really see it but still... I know it's there and so is the little voice in the back of my head telling me to do something about it... :stick
Now the hair is next...
I washed it today. And as you can see, without the crappy paint he's a natural blonde :lol

Now the hair is next...
I washed it today. And as you can see, without the crappy paint he's a natural blonde :lol
The eyes look really good, I'll be happy to see the new hair color too.

After more research, I find that all of the upper body armor needs to be rebuilt from scratch.
The stock half-shirt isn't accurate. Instead, there should be a layer of dark grey padding in its place.
There are no sleeves, no shirt at all, only the padding layer with open underarms.
That's what I'm working on right now, using 2mm EVA foam. (pictured)

After that, I'll make new rigid chest/back plates, left & right, from 1mm black ABS styrene sheet.
There should be some black rivets and tiny stitching holes at the edges of the rigid armor plates,
which I assume are used to fasten the layer of padding to the outer plates.
The outer chest/back plates look like high-impact plastic in the film, not leather.
More importantly, the lines and angles are just wrong on the figure's stock costume.
The chest plate should be more V-shaped on the chest, and very wide open at the neck.

Then, new shoulder guards and custom-cut feathers. I've already made a new shoulder guard. (pictured)
The whole shoulder gear arrangement should be much more elevated and exaggerated.
Finally, I'm going to have Jon at FullMetalCustoms make the spiked mace in steel with a wooden handle.

Attachments

• 20230710_014925.jpg
    20230710_014925.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (1754).png
    Screenshot (1754).png
    743.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230609_211718.jpg
    20230609_211718.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The whole shoulder gear arrangement should be much more elevated and exaggerated.

This was one of the biggest problems right from the beginning. A few people have modded solutions weeks ago. It immediately improves a majority of "the look" for Wez, despite the endless little things that are off.

It is also the one thing that has held me back from working on my own Wez. Until I find a simple solution, I'm hesitant to get started. I gotta find some good feathers too.

This was one of the biggest problems right from the beginning. A few people have modded solutions weeks ago. It immediately improves a majority of "the look" for Wez, despite the endless little things that are off.

It is also the one thing that has held me back from working on my own Wez. Until I find a simple solution, I'm hesitant to get started. I gotta find some good feathers too.
The stock feathers are ridiculous. They're actually single strands of ostrich feather which is a common crafting material, but they should have tried another solution. I suppose they chose ostrich so they could say, "Hey! We used REAL feathers!"

At first I was at a loss to find realistic substitutions. But now, I think it will be fairly simple; I'll cut individual feather shapes out of very thin black vinyl fabric, the kind used for 1/6 scale leather jackets and belts. Thicker faux leather has a sponge backing, but the stuff I'm referring to doesn't. If you turn it over, the back side has no texture; it's smooth. I'll use the smooth side as the top of the feathers, and I'll add feather grain with layers of black acrylic paint applied with a fine detail brush. Then, I'll cut fine breaks in the feathers closer to their base, to give a scruffy look. Also, I can control the curvature of each feather by running a bit of superglue along the under side, then letting it dry curved. After I glue on about 50 feathers on each side, arranged and curved in an accurate way, it will probably fool the eye pretty well.

After a lot of measuring and re-measuring, and several experimental (wrong) versions, I think I've finally got accurate shapes of the under-padding and rigid armor for Wez. Now I'll begin to add surface details; rivets, stitched fabric edging, and strap anchors.

The stitched edging was the hardest to figure out, in terms of knowing exactly what I was seeing in the film at 1:1 scale; I'm convinced it is thus: The rigid plastic armor plates have tiny holes punched along the edges (at about 1/4 inch intervals) to accommodate heavy thread stitching which holds thin strips of fabric in place, (possibly leather) to cover the sharp plastic edges with a U-shaped wrap-around safety layer. Some of the stitching thread has become broken and missing, but most is intact. Where the edging strips turn a tight corner, they bunch-up like the frilly edge of lasagna noodles.

I'm not going to attempt actual stitching holes through my plastic at 1/6 scale, but I can simulate the look. I ordered some 1.6mm wide fabric ribbon; I can do hand-stitching along the center line of the loose ribbon, then glue it on along the edges of the armor plates.

Also, the EVA foam padding currently looks very... 'foamy'. At some point I'm going to paint the foam material with acrylic dark grey and weathering, which will fill-in the tiny surface voids and make it smoother.

Attachments

• 20230829_022457.jpg
    20230829_022457.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Never thought I'd be doing this custom I'm almost done with my Fury Road Max and once I saw this figure drop I had to have it. If not as a base to finally make Mel Max. Definitely need an outfit and gear upgrade.

Eager to see what you do with the Mohawk.
Poor little Wez got neglected for a while... Lord Humungus send him to the time out corner of the wasteland. But now he's finally back and managed to get an appointment with his hair stylist. :lol
Not quite perfect... but a lot better than before I think...
What do you guys say?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Wez Before After.jpg

Poor little Wez got neglected for a while... Lord Humungus send him to the time out corner of the wasteland. But now he's finally back and managed to get an appointment with his hair stylist. :lol
Not quite perfect... but a lot better than before I think...
What do you guys say?

View attachment 675395

View attachment 675396

View attachment 675397

View attachment 675398

View attachment 675399

View attachment 675400

View attachment 675401

View attachment 675402

View attachment 675403

View attachment 675404
Gonna need a tutorial on what you did here.

Gonna need a tutorial on what you did here.
Short version?
Cut off the old hair and glue on the new :lol
That's basically it ;)

I bought some mohair. My sister is a hair dresser so I asked her to dye it the right colors for me. At first I thought it would be best to dye the hair after it was glued to the head but we decided against it. It was easier that way.
I cut off the old plastic hair entirely. It was like a barbie doll head with many little strands so I had to pull out the rest with some tweezers. But even that way I couldn't get rid of everything so I used a lighter and burned the rest down to the head - be very careful with that - and cut off the remainders with a sharp blade. Cut it all away and then carefully glue on the new hair bit by bit. I let it dry for a day and then cut the hair a bit - looking at the pictures I could have cut them a little shorter even... but oh well... - and then styled it with some water and some hair gel.
Oh, and I wrapped the head (face area) in plastic wrap to protect it during the process.

Back