GREEN LANTERN: The Sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Warner Bros. To Pursue ‘Green Lantern’ Sequel
1:23 PM 6/26/2011 by Pamela McClintock

The studio won't walk away from the superhero franchise, despite the film’s soft box office performance. Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel to Ryan Reynolds' superhero pic Green Lantern, despite the film’s soft performance at the box office.

Sources say Warners still believes in the franchise, even if the studio is “somewhat disappointed” with Green Lantern’s result. Over the weekend, Green Lantern fell a steep 66% at the domestic box office, grossing $18.4 million for a cume of $89.3 million. That’s a big decline.

Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said the movie is settling in, pointing out that fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends.
Still, Green Lantern fell off more than recent superhero pics Thor and X-Men: First Class. Thor dropped 47% in its second weekend, while First Class dropped 56%. Similar films that have seen the same sort of dip that Green Lantern did include Hulk, which dropped nearly 70% in its second outing. Green Lantern cost $200 million to produce before a sizeable marketing spend (rival studios say it was one of the most expensive on record). Warners, preparing for the end of Harry Potter, needs new franchises, so was willing to invest big in Green Lantern.

A formidable obstacle standing in Green Lantern’s way now is Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which opens in theaters around the globe on Tuesday night.

I am psyched. With a lot of critics and fans agreeing on multiple points I hope that they can pull together and really knock this sequel out of the park.

Awesome! They've set themselves up good with the credit scene. Going with that and setting up an epic battle between GL and Sinestro should help really make this one kick ass.

One of the reasons I'm excited is that there was a lot about the first film that worked. Instead of just shouting Reboot, they can fix what didn't and really work on the film itself. Really streamline and give us a fantastic film instead of throwing everything out with the bathwater.

Yup, more worked with this film than didn't take that and fix what didn't. Then you have an even more awesome movie and you didn't have to do the damn reboot just because.

This is great news. The movie was very good and i really enjoyed it, shure they made mistakes, but they have a chance to really improve and go for gold.

Tighten up the story, have a better flow with the editing. make it a 2 hour epic, bigger action sequences, more powerful performances and steller construct designs. I wanna see Reynolds as Hal again, and i def wanna see him face off against Sinestro!

Since most of the origin and groundwork is already placed, the seuqel should be like 60-80% Space Epicness.

Yup, more worked with this film than didn't take that and fix what didn't. Then you have an even more awesome movie and you didn't have to do the damn reboot just because.

:lecture I'm ready for it. They had something good stewing, and now I'm psyched to see where they plan to take us with it.

2 years is usually the average, so I would imagine we are looking at a 2014. Which allows TDKR for 2012. Superman for 2013 and GL 2 for 2014. What I love is the origin story is already told. A reboot would have surely done that again. Now they can just focus on kicking ass. Many people have paralleled GL to Spider-Man which means hopefully we get a Spider-Man 2 styled sequel, and that they leave out a Spider-Man 3 follow up. :lol

so superman returns made $200,120,000 domestically and get 76% on rotten tomatoes but get rebooted

green lantern made $89,311,000 so far and get 26% on RT and get a sequel

what kind of logic is that?

I'd love for them to choose a villain that goes against both the GLC and SC like Atrocitus and then have Sinestro be tempted throughout setting up a 3rd. But that is the fanboy in my talking. Really have Sinestro fight the temptation of the yellow ring but then have him break for the "greater good", really set up a Sinestro Corps third.

Either way Johns needs to write the film, have professional screenwriters handle his treatment but have someone well versed in the universe lay the groundwork.

so superman returns made $200,120,000 domestically and get 76% on rotten tomatoes but get rebooted. green lantern made $89,311,000 so far and get 26% on RT and get a sequel.
what kind of logic is that?

Simple. If you read the article, WB needs another franchise. If they reboot GL, then they'd have to pay out the contracts or wait for them to expire (5 years) meaning they fall further behind Marvel. This way they can fix it and continue putting another tentpole in while working on others. WB expects Batman, Superman and GL to be their big three like Iron Man, Spider-Man and the X-Men (team like the GLC) for Marvel. They can't afford to fall further behind. If Superman bombs out but the families agree to keep the rights, I guarantee they'll try to fix there too.

I'd love for them to choose a villain that goes against both the GLC and SC like Atrocitus and then have Sinestro be tempted throughout setting up a 3rd. But that is the fanboy in my talking. Really have Sinestro fight the temptation of the yellow ring but then have him break for the "greater good", really set up a Sinestro Corps third.

Either way Johns needs to write the film, have professional screenwriters handle his treatment but have someone well versed in the universe lay the groundwork.

i agree with you man.

jeff should be at the helm of part 2.
being reading all the graphic novels and they are great.

I'm very excited to hear they are doing a sequel. I just saw the movie on Friday and thought it was pretty good. I definitely want to see more.

If the public at large is so apathetic to this first film, it's hard to imagine they'll show up for a sequel. Use those resources to take a stab at the Flash. If that bombs, then have another go at GL.

Green Lantern has alot of potential. I can see the sequel being 2 hours and have a really compelling story, along with much better action and more depth to the characters. Reboots arent always the answer. Warners believes in GL and so do I. Its all about following the vision, It can be a new epic franchise i know it.

Or at least Bring Reynolds Hal Jordon on board for a JLA movie, the character is established already.

Back