07-08-2008, 11:25 PM
no one else seen this tonight?

EVILFACE
07-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Is it better than the snoozy first one?

TOE
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Yup.

I liked this one better than the first one. Lots of monsters and actions. What not to love?

Gruff Old Bear
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
So Toe, you were at the Chinese screening at 7 last night too? Here's my review, for those who've already seen Hellboy.

I have to say I thought this was a letdown with many of the problems common to sequels. I loved the first film, which took me by surprise (I didn't know the comic and only saw the film because of comments here on the board), and I found myself enjoying the company of these characters again. But I'm actually concerned now about Del Toro doing "The Hobbit" -- this really isn't anywhere near the Hellboy-cum-"Pan's Labyrinth" that people have anticipated. Del Toro seems to do well when a limited budget forces him to choose wisely. Given enough money, he forgets the established world he created under more stringent circumstances, like George Lucas tinkering with his "Star Wars" films until they lose their original cheap charm.

I loved the intro with its Hurt cameo and the new portrayal of Kid Hellboy. But the fable Professor Broom reads to Hellboy, besides offering Del Toro a chance to do something akin to puppet theatre, serves mainly to explain in advance everything we are going to see, which is not the most thrilling way for a story to unfold. The first big set piece with the Tooth Fairies is terrific, but when it's over the film plummets into repetition and recycling. There's a brief lift when Del Toro takes us to the imaginative Troll's Market, but after that it starts losing momentum again and wanders to its conclusion.

The super-secret BRPD headquarters, which formerly appeared to be a mysterious archive where everything is kept under lock and key, now has the same intergalactic traffic we saw in the "Men In Black" films; a cameo from Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones would have fit right in. Jeffrey Tambor, so funny in the first film, here is cut off at both knees: first, his character gets his wish to no longer be responsible for Hellboy, and from the introduction of HB's new supervisor Tambor hasn't anything to do except tag along. Second, his character's worst nightmare comes to pass: Hellboy's secret is out, so Tambor can quit fretting. Since all this happens early in the film, Tambor is simply not an antagonist for HB here. And the event that "outs" Hellboy is so similar to the parkour-stomp-through-traffic-pursuit of Sammael and destruction of the museum in the first film, that HB has to announce that the secret is out, or we might not realize it. After all, Manning publicly denied the same sort of antics in the first film. All this does is burn Tambor's Tom Manning. It's a waste of one of the funniest supporting actors on the screen.

Manning's replacement antagonist, Johann Krauss, introduces a new element to the film that it can't afford to depend upon: radio drama. With his one-trick "face," Johann might have made for a funny encounter in those now-crowded halls at BPRD, but as a driver of the action, we were better off with Tambor. Johann is a bit of an empty suit (pun intended), who seems to be there to allow for a cameo voiceover from "Family Guy" creator Seth McFarlane.

Speaking of cameo voiceovers, I had expected to like Abe Sapien better with the actor underneath the makeup, Doug Jones, doing the part without help. As it turns out, even though Jones handles the job just fine, the touch added by David Hyde Pierce is indeed missed. And for all the intention of improving Abe's role with a romantic engagement central to the story, Jones, like Tambor, finally has less to do here than in the first film.

Hellboy's battle with the forest spirit is an uncomfortably obvious recycling of the first film's final battle against another giant whirling monster with whipping tentacles. As the Elf prince, Luke Goss and his stunt double put on a top-notch display of martial arts swordsmanship; unfortunately, we've seen it all many times before, and it doesn't help that Nuada is somewhat sympathetic. The Prince Nuada makeup suggests that Del Toro envisioned Nuada as Legolas if he were a zombie as well as an elf, but he's just not anywhere near as terrifying as Kroenen was. It does matter who the character behind the blade is.

The Golden Army is finally just computer imagery, while the best animatronic puppet in ages, Mr. Wink, can be better viewed in the documentary footage on YouTube than in the film. Perlman, who can probably make bricks out of straw, is still charming and funny, and lacking anything approaching his rooftop surveillance scene in the first film, he makes this film's best moments out of very minor material. The fire effects for Liz are better than before, but with a storyline that has her keeping a secret from HB, there aren't the same sparks between them, and the fireworks for the film just fizzle. Too many supportive elements, like Tom Manning and Abe Sapien, have been tinkered with. Too many central elements that needed to be refreshed, like a Kroenen-esque blade-wielding opponent plus a giant tentacled monster, weren't tinkered with enough.

I hope it makes money, because I'd like to see HB become a trilogy. My enthusiasm for the characters isn't diminished, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the Sideshow PF figure. Johann might make a good 1:6 figure if they can capture a smoke effect in solid clear resin. But I don't think this movie is as satisfying or as funny as the first one, and coming in this particular summer, it will be compared, like every other action picture, to the summer's biggest and best release. And having seen both pictures, I feel safe saying that no one will suggest this is remotely in a league with "The Dark Knight."

Darth Loki
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
What a ^^^^ing awesome movie. Just got home and I loved it. Maybe as good as the first.

TOE
07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Loki...lol...pretty cool, ha? Which scene was the best part for you?

Gruff...I saw it at the Gaslamp here in SD :)

leggo_my_ego
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Awsome waaaay better then the first it suprised me, tons of action and a good plot to boot. So if your boarder line on wether to see it or not GO SEE IT.

tylerd
07-11-2008, 03:10 AM
i can't go until tomorrow night. i actually have a date and the girl asked if i wanted to see it. how cool is that?

Blackhole
07-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Is Kroenen in it? Like they said he would be? You know, after credits sequence or something...

They did promise...:monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

tylerd
07-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Is Kroenen in it? Like they said he would be? You know, after credits sequence or something...

They did promise...:monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

no mention of him in the credits, but they do have jimmy kimmel, john hurt, seth mcfarlane and a limb vendor. :lol

Darth Loki
07-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Loki...lol...pretty cool, ha? Which scene was the best part for you?

Gruff...I saw it at the Gaslamp here in SD :)

Hard to say. I loved all the fight scenes but the final one was probably the most bad ass.

If I had to choose one, it'd be when Hellboy gets into with Krauss. Just ^^^^ing hilarious :rotfl

I gotta say that Prince Nuada is now one of my favorite movie characters of all time.

Darth Loki
07-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I can't say anything more than it was ^^^^ing great. I already want to see it again.

Blackhole
07-11-2008, 07:34 AM
No one stayed after the credits?

I want my favourite Ninja-Nazi back...

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

The Josh
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I have to say I thought this was a letdown with many of the problems common to sequels.

I don't know if I was let down but wasn't as stoked coming out as I was going in. So maybe that means I was let down. :lol

But I'm actually concerned now about Del Toro doing "The Hobbit"

I'm not because of PJ and I think Del Toro won't get quite so crazy with someone elses work.

I loved the intro with its Hurt cameo and the new portrayal of Kid Hellboy. But the fable Professor Broom reads to Hellboy, besides offering Del Toro a chance to do something akin to puppet theatre, serves mainly to explain in advance everything we are going to see, which is not the most thrilling way for a story to unfold.

I actually liked it once they got into the story but I kind of felt like we where having a case of Deja Vu with how they started this film. Could have had a different way to introduce it all I imagine.

The first big set piece with the Tooth Fairies is terrific, but when it's over the film plummets into repetition and recycling. There's a brief lift when Del Toro takes us to the imaginative Troll's Market, but after that it starts losing momentum again and wanders to its conclusion.

A lot of moments where it would get going and stall again. Kind of like that old car in your drive way. :lol

The super-secret BRPD headquarters, which formerly appeared to be a mysterious archive where everything is kept under lock and key, now has the same intergalactic traffic we saw in the "Men In Black" films; a cameo from Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones would have fit right in.

I thought the same thing. I mean there wasn't this many freaks there in the first one. I felt like it was lets see how many things we can cram into this place.

Jeffrey Tambor, so funny in the first film, here is cut off at both knees: first, his character gets his wish to no longer be responsible for Hellboy, and from the introduction of HB's new supervisor Tambor hasn't anything to do except tag along.

I know. Early on in the film he's the same as the first movie but then he's just coming along for the ride to be in it.

Manning's replacement antagonist, Johann Krauss, introduces a new element to the film that it can't afford to depend upon: radio drama. With his one-trick "face," Johann might have made for a funny encounter in those now-crowded halls at BPRD, but as a driver of the action, we were better off with Tambor. Johann is a bit of an empty suit (pun intended), who seems to be there to allow for a cameo voiceover from "Family Guy" creator Seth McFarlane.

I didn't care for this guy at all. Well, not until the final battle. There was nothing cool other than the look IMO. When HB punched him in the head I was hoping that was the end of this guy.

And for all the intention of improving Abe's role with a romantic engagement central to the story, Jones, like Tambor, finally has less to do here than in the first film.

I didn't see the need to give Abe a love story in this one unless they wanted to back of HB love story angle. I thought both going full force was a bit much and turned an action flick into a love story.

Hellboy's battle with the forest spirit is an uncomfortably obvious recycling of the first film's final battle against another giant whirling monster with whipping tentacles.

This was one of the scenes where I felt like it was a HB Movie or what it should be.

Perlman, who can probably make bricks out of straw, is still charming and funny, and lacking anything approaching his rooftop surveillance scene in the first film, he makes this film's best moments out of very minor material.

Perlman did great I thought with what he had. He was funny when he was supposed to and action man when he had to be. I liked the scene where he and Abe are singing drunk. He had other moments as well so I was fine with him.

But I don't think this movie is as satisfying or as funny as the first one, and coming in this particular summer, it will be compared, like every other action picture, to the summer's biggest and best release. And having seen both pictures, I feel safe saying that no one will suggest this is remotely in a league with "The Dark Knight."

Its missing something I think compared to the first one. Again, thats not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did and I'll get it on BR but I didn't walk out talking about the film either. I don't expect it will sniff TDK honestly as my expectations for that are really through the roof.

If I had to choose one, it'd be when Hellboy gets into with Krauss. Just ^^^^ing hilarious :rotfl

I like that scene as well. Like I said I wanted that to be the end of Krauss but I think they stretched that scene a little too long and forced some comedy there.

Buttmunch
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Not going to read through anything because I won't see this until tomorrow, but my local newspaper gave HB2 FOUR stars out of FOUR stars! And our guy isn't easily impressed by stuff, so I'm thrilled!

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice one Toe...You've out done yourself this time! :p

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I saw this movie last night and it kicked ass!

So I was wondering...

How many of you freaks will be seeing this more than once on the big screen?

I know I'll be going again tonight or tomorrow at the latest! :rock

:monkey4

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
There are two threads for this already!:monkey3:D

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Cool. Thanks. I know. :rolleyes:

So Ashad...Have you seen this movie yet?

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Cool :rolleyes:

So Ashad...Have you seen this movie yet?

Will do it in about an hour. Really excited about it. :D

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
There's so much to take in...that fans should at least go see it a couple of times. I can't wait for the DVD release to see this masterpiece again! :D

Enjoy it! :p

Sick Boy 82
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Yup!! Tonight at 4:15 and then sometime again this weekend with some buddies!

plasmid303
07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes! I'll be seeing it once with my buds and the second time I'll be taking my nephew!

SUPPORT THIS MOVIE! After the lackluster reception of the first movie (box office-wise), it'd be a real heartbreaker if HBII didn't do well. Guillermo Del Torro deserves better.

It's not in the best position either. It has to contend with that new Eddie Murphy movie (say what you want about him, but his flicks make money) and TDK is right around the corner.

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Bring on TDK as well!!! Its next on my list. :D

Malice
07-11-2008, 02:00 PM
damn son just got back from seeing it and that **** was tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:banana

and going back is a must at least 1 more time if not 2.....:D

TheObsoleteMan
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I just got back, and man... what a massive, massive disappointment. I'm a big fan of Del Toro's and I'm a big fan of the first Hellboy movie, but this one was just a self indulgent piece of crap.

Cocoboloboy
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Just saw it and thought it was a fun popcorn movie. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece or anything so I liked it. Lots of action and humor and I love all the non CGI beasties.

Kabukiman
07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
SUPPORT THIS MOVIE!

I'm not one who cares about the success of hollywood movies, but I totally agree here. From everything I've read, this film is a true labor of love and deserves the full attention of all movie goers. Come next weekend, HB2 won't even exist in the minds of movie-goers anymore.

TheObsoleteMan
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Hell no! You couldn't force me to watch this one again at gun point.

NASEDO
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
So how much money will Hellboy 2 Make? The 1st made 23mil and a total domestic gross of 59.6 Mil. Del Toro has gotten alot more popular with the Hobbit, so it should help.

I predict 56 mil. Which is really good. I'm thinking lower but I'll stick with 56. Over 60 would be great. Under 30 might look bad. This movie seems like a tough call. I just dont know.

Also playing at Theaters is "Journey to the Center of the Earth." I like the trailer, 3D at IMAX, I would really like to see this, and I haven't seen a movie sine Harry Potter OOTP at IMAX. So I think I'll check out "Journey" next week in 3D. I don't think "Journey" will beat Hellboy 2, for one not enough publicity, but if it does, damn that would be crazy. Never no with the young audience.

DarkDaysinVegas
07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Hell no! You couldn't force me to watch this one again at gun point.

Ok....thanks? :confused:

FQRizzo
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

I felt the same after this movie as I did after the last one. I walked out with the feeling that I liked it, sort of, but as more time passes I like it more and more.

Things I liked:

1)The art direction: This was off the hook. The CGI was excellent and much better than some of the other movies I've seen this summer (Incredible Hulk I am looking at you)

2) Pearlman as Hellboy: Hellboy is a character I could watch all day. The movie could be about him brushing his teeth for two hours and I would still be entertained (not lil' Hellboy though :lol).

3) The fight scenes: These were a heckuva lot of fun. Lots of monster smashing. Big Baby. The Prince guy could give Darth Maul a run for his money.

Things I didn't like:

1) Little Hellboy sequence: He just looked goofy. It was nice to see John Hurt, but he looked much older than the character should look in 1955 (?). In the first movie he looked young (different actor) around the time of WWII. Paranormal research must make you age horribly.

2) Everyone just standing around too much: When the tooth fairies were attacking everyone, the agent guys were just standing there getting eaten. Also, how freaking long were they shooting at the things before they decided to do something logical and toast them? Also when the Prince throws the jumping bean, everyone just stands there.

3) Hellboy getting stabbed: This just seemed like a vehicle to showcase another creature, the angel of death. While that scene was cool, it just seemed like a too convenient way to cure Hellboy.

4) The bedtime story sequence in the beginning of the movie: Did I miss the reason why everything was wooden puppets?

Overall, the pluses outweigh the minuses but a lot of ideas seemed to be introduced and then left hanging. That being said, I will definitely pick this up when it comes out on DVD.

Deadly Dagger
07-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Better than the first?...Should be good then

tomandshell
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I had plans to get a babysiter to watch the kids while my wife and I went to see this today. Instead there was a change of plans and now my wife is out of town, I am left home watching the kids, and it looks like I won't get to see it opening weekend...

:sick

TheObsoleteMan
07-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Ok....thanks? :confused:

No problem.

Les Walker
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Saw it. Liked it. Perlman is great. Like FQRizzo said, could watch him as Hellboy all day.
Movie looked great. Wasn't bored, but not too terribly knocked out. Art design is indeed incredible. All in all, I liked it. Not more than Ironman, as a movie, but a lot.
Good show. Bring on part III! :rock

Shai
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
whats funny is nowadays people seems to say, when a movie kinda sucked and want to stay polite ,''it was a good popcorn movie'' :lol

Bannister
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
whats funny is nowadays people seems to say, when a movie kinda sucked and want to stay polite ,''it was a good popcorn movie'' :lol

This was my favorite movie of the summer so far. I think that will change next week though.

Naptownsithlord
07-11-2008, 07:32 PM
OK..I just got home from seeing HB2 and i would have to give it a B- i was a bit disappointed in the dialogue.It just seemed like they tryed to put a little to much emphasis on love.The movie could of been about 15-20 minutes shorter maybe removing some of the love scenes.It was action packed though and i loved the BigBaby introduction.Just my 2 cents.

TheObsoleteMan
07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
I was really taken aback by the level of slapstick humor. They turned the campiness up to 11. Even Ron Perlman, who was so fantastic in the first movie, was practically mugging for the camera. I half expected a rimshot after each of his forced one-liners.

The creature designs were magnificent, but there was just way too many of them. It's as if Del Toro was afraid he'd never get to make another film so he jammed every monster he could ever conceive of into this one movie.

EVILFACE
07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
First was a BO failure, I don't see the second lighting up the BO either. I say 35 mil opening and getting slaughtered by TDK and finishing with 75ish.

EVILFACE
07-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Selma Blair looks pretty hot in it.

The dome guy whoever that is looks pretty kewl. I'd buy a 1/6th figure of him.

hairlesswookiee
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
And having seen both pictures, I feel safe saying that no one will suggest this is remotely in a league with "The Dark Knight."

i agree with most all of your points, especially this. i think they should have waited until after the summer to release this movie. and the Prince Nuada is such an awesome character....he was a total B.A. until the last fight, which was a let down to me. he can do all the crazy kung-fu flips and kicks, but the second Hellboy takes his weapon away he's completely defenseless???? i would think after seeing him kick everyone's arses throughout the rest of the movie that he would've been able to hold his own a little bit better after being disarmed.

YoNoSe
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't remember the last time I walked out of a movie theater this happy. Definitely my favorite movie of the summer.

Morbach
07-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Great movie! Just saw it and loved it! In my opinion it was better than the original. Very cool and original action scenes. Can't wait for 3!

p!tu
07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock

Jesseawilson
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I hated this movie, to me it was a bigger let down then KOTCS.

The dialog was atrocious, the forced comedy actually made me feel uncomfortable sitting in my seat, the hellboy kid seen was horrible, the drunk scene with abe and hellboy was terrible, when hellboy was sitting watching tv you could see his head shrink into the suit like he was some sort of turtle his neck just vanished,the fact that Abe's voice was different was something I couldn't get past the entire movie. All in all I would have walked out if I wasn't there with my family, as it was I tried to fall asleep through most of it to pas the time faster but unfortunately I couldn't.

It was too much of too much. The comedy was to comedic, the action was to over the top, the romance was way to sappy, and the slow parts were way to slow. OMG wayyyyy to many characters thrown in, the troll market felt like it was ripped right from harry potter when they were walking through Diagon Alley.

Edit: OMFG how can I forget the German smoke man. That is what put me over the edge. I just closed my eyes and tried to get it over with from then on.

All I have to say after seeing them ^^^^ the bed with KOTCS and HB II is that if Dark Knight and X files II suck I have lost all faith in sequels (and most of my faith in Hollywood).

GOD DAMIT I love Hellboy, me and my 5 year old watch it together all the time. Even she didn't like the second one. How fing frustrating!!

CelticPredator
07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I liked it. But I was distracted the whole way through, not the movies fault though.

The monsters were sweet! I love Del Toro's monsters. I still like the first better, but this was quite awesome. I had a few little issues here and there, but for the most part, I liked it. Johann was my favorite character.

CelticPredator
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Hellboy will punch ya!

Anyway, yes. Yes I will.

CelticPredator
07-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Theater was packed. Normally, people would rather see something silly, and fun like say Meet Dave, or Journey to the Center of the Earth, but no! They all came for big Red himself. With the great reviews, and Del Toro's newly found, but well deserved popularity, I think it'll do pretty good!

The Mike
07-11-2008, 11:41 PM

From IMDB:

Q:Will Kroenen be in this?
A: No, he will not. Though it was hoped that he would have a cameo in the ending credits, Universal never gave the go ahead.

I also didn't know this:

Q: Why isn't David Hyde Pierce doing the voice for Abe this time?
A: In the first movie, it was a decision by the studio to have David's voice for Abe Sapien instead of Doug. The reason for this is that they hoped to bank on David's name bringing in more people to the theater. This backfired when David refused to take credit for what he felt was truly Doug Jones' role and as such never promoted the movie, never did any interviews and didn't go to the premiere.

Since Universal is producing this movie instead of Sony or Revolution, they are allowing Doug to do the voice of Abe and David hasn't been asked to return.

For the record, David tried to modulate his voice to sound like Doug's when he did the looping sessions for the first movie.

EVILFACE
07-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Looks to have made 13 mil on friday. So prolly 30 mil for the 3 day take.

Bonehead15
07-12-2008, 05:50 AM
I saw this 3 times yesterday. :monkey3

Yes 3 times. :D

Bonehead15
07-12-2008, 06:19 AM
I thought it was awesome!! :rock

Ron Pearlman is so entertaining as Hellboy that, like other have already said, he could do just about anything as HB and I'd be happy. :D

The drinking scene between HB and Abe was hilarious. :rotfl

Anybody else catch the Kroenen cameo?

Krauss was awesome. :lol I'm not a Family Guy fan at all so I know nothing about Seth MacFarlane, but I thought he did a great job.

I was really pleased with how much time Abe got. In the first movie he doesn't do much at all and then he gets hurt so he's out the rest of the movie. In HB 2, we got to see some character development for him.

The character designs were outstanding. I can't see how anybody would complain that there were too many in the movie. :confused: That's like complaining that Star Wars had too many different species of characters in it.

The only parts are really didn't like were the whole pregnancy B-story. I thought it wasn't needed at all. HB could have just quit at the end like he did in the comics.

Also, the Angel of death scene wasn't needed. The BPRD could have just followed the Prince to the goblin city. They did have a copy of the map.

winter
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Just got back from seeing it. The bedtime story sequence in the beginning of the movie: Did I miss the reason why everything was wooden puppets?

Hellboy was watching Howdy Doody, a puppet. Father reads story and we see it from HB's imagination - a war between humans and woodland creatures as puppets. :D

Seen it twice.HBII is magical!

YoNoSe
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll be back as soon as possible. I'm trying to sway some friends from going to see Hancock instead. If not today, tomorrow for sure.
Awesome thread, we do need to support this movie. I think if people give it a chance it will win them over. When we came out of the first movie my fiancee said she didn't love the movie but she really liked HB himself. Last night she was laughing out loud, especially at the singalong. Great crowd reaction throughout.

CelticPredator
07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Yep, thats how I saw it too.

YoNoSe
07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I hadn't read that quote about David Hyde Pierce either. Usually you assume something unpleasant is behind a cast member not returning, but that's actually cool and very classy of DHP.

Darklord Dave
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I enjoyed it, about on the same level as the first one, which I watched again last night. What I really liked about it was that Nuada was somewhat sympathetic as was the nature god. It gave the whole thing much more depth.

And who doesn't want to command a golden army to wipe out humanity every now and then?

I loved Krauss although I'm sure I would have hated him if I'd have known that was Seth McFarlane. But the character design and how he interacted with the team was great. His transition was a bit too abrupt though.

I'd agree with GOB that Tambor was under utilized. In the first film they made a couple of overtures as if he would take up the father figure position in Hellboy's life - but none of that was augmented here.

I thought Doug Jones did an okay job with the dialogue - he sounds enough like Hyde Pierce that it didn't bother me.

FQRizzo
07-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Hellboy was watching Howdy Doody, a puppet. Father reads story and we see it from HB's imagination - a war between humans and woodland creatures as puppets. :D

Seen it twice.HBII is magical!

I kinda figured that. It still came off as a little strange.

occulum
07-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I loved DHP's voice as Abe. Doug jones is more than capable and wont miss a beat, but DHP was the icing on the cake for the character IMO....

DannieDarKo
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM

I stayed after the credits and there was nothing bro.

NASEDO
07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I figured 'superhero' but I guess if it makes 30, thats ok. I guess will see tomorrow.

The Mike
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I saw it today. Loved it. Can't wait to see what 1/6 figures are released from it.

winter
07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I kinda figured that. It still came off as a little strange.

Also, in reading the Art of HB2, del Toro states this sequence was supposed to be live action, but he couldn't fit it into the budget.

The Mike
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I actually like the puppet sequence...it was very different and I'd buy a couple of those if they were sold.

I missed Hyde Pierce....Jones did alright but I could really tell the difference in delivery and in tone.

I thought Johann was a great character and had no clue it was Seth McFarlane....the design screams for a 1/6 figure.

The Prince was an excellent character, I actually liked him and hoped he wouldn't die at the end.

I did catch the Kroenen mask but did you catch Roger the Homunculus??

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/12/12772.jpg

He was in a glass case in the BPRD trophy area and supposedly is in HB1 as well in the same place but I never caught it...I'll have to rewatch it.

galactiboy
07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
yep, big zippo on anything after the credits. But, still kickass enough you don't need the extra bit.

But if you look closely...
There are some of Kroenen's masks in glass cases in the halls of the BPRD

galactiboy
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Got to see it earlier today and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't completely blown away, but I assume (like the first) it will grow on me even more over time.

Loved the creature designs and thought the movie had a great flow to it. Can't wait to see if HBIII is greenlit. Altough a little worried about its financial health with DK coming next week.

NASEDO
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
My "box office prediction" Thread got mereged into this thread, how stupid? I was hoping it would take off and be used everyweek for "predictions". How much money a movie makes is key in Hollywood. If Hellboy 2 makes less then 30mil, I imagine it would be hard to see a sequel, even though Del Toro has it in mind. And 'journey' could be a sleeper if enough kids seen the commercial. Anyway I was going to give a SSC prize for the closest person to the gross, but screw it. You win some and lose, no problem. I guess the weekly box office gross is something I'm only interested in. I was only trying to make a cool new thread. Thats fine. I guess I'll have to enjoy it by myself.

IrishJedi
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Just got home from seeing it and I have one thing to say:

Where is my 1:6 Johann Krauss figure????

:tap

IrishJedi
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I loved DHP's voice as Abe. Doug jones is more than capable and wont miss a beat, but DHP was the icing on the cake for the character IMO....

Wow. I completely disagree with you guys. I'm firmly in the camp that believes Doug Jones should have been the voice of Abe in the first one. And I feel even more strongly now after he shared why that happened in an interview the other day and also explained that DHP himself was baffled that the studio wanted him to dub over Jones' original dialogue performance.

Because of that, David Hyde Pierce refused to do any PR for the first one, didn't show up for the premiere, donated his salary to charity, and refused to do HELLBOY II... forcing the studio to let Del Toro have Jones play the character outright the way it was always meant to be.

Doug Jones IS Abe Sapien.

IrishJedi
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
My "box office prediction" Thread got mereged into this thread, how stupid? I was hoping it would take off and be used everyweek for "predictions". How much money a movie makes is key in Hollywood. If Hellboy 2 makes less then 30mil, I imagine it would be hard to see a sequel, even though Del Toro has it in mind. And 'journey' could be a sleeper if enough kids seen the commercial. Anyway I was going to give a SSC prize for the closest person to the gross, but screw it. You win some and lose, no problem. I guess the weekly box office gross is something I'm only interested in. I was only trying to make a cool new thread. Thats fine. I guess I'll have to enjoy it by myself.

The estimate for Friday is in... $13 million. So it will definitely do more than $30 million this weekend, likely in the $40-43 mil range. Not bad.

YoNoSe
07-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow. I completely disagree with you guys. I'm firmly in the camp that believes Doug Jones should have been the voice of Abe in the first one.

Right on. As soon as I heard him in the animated films I thought it was a shame he didn't get to do it. I always found DHP's voice a little distracting because it was so recognizable, though he did an excellent job. He is a class act for recognizing the right man for the part.

blue_rogue
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Del Toro seems to do well when a limited budget forces him to choose wisely. Given enough money, he forgets the established world he created under more stringent circumstances, like George Lucas tinkering with his "Star Wars" films until they lose their original cheap charm.

This film actually had a smaller budget than the first one. As well as a shorter shooting schedule. Which makes this film quite an accomplishment considering the grand scale of it compared to the first one.

DarkDaysinVegas
07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Carl speaks of....Hellboy 2? :clap This is good stuff. :D

Darklord Dave
07-12-2008, 07:26 PM

I don't see the point in having multiple threads all about the same topic. Whether you like the movie or think it will gross well over opening weekend - it's all related.

YoNoSe
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
This film actually had a smaller budget than the first one. As well as a shorter shooting schedule. Which makes this film quite an accomplishment considering the grand scale of it compared to the first one.

Actually part 1 cost about $65 mil and I think 2 was about $72. Nevertheless you're right about what an accomplishment it is. GDT busted his ass at least six days a week on this thing and I can't believe people are making such crazy claims about losing his way without budget constraints. The beautiful puppet theater prologue was entirely the result of budget issues, as was Johanne's practical suit (which was initially to be a cgi head removal replaced with a clear glass bulb as in the comics).
To compare this movie to George Lucas tampering with the OT is mind boggling to me.

galactiboy
07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Very impressive knowing it came in under 100M. It has a lot going on and looks great.

FQRizzo
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Also, in reading the Art of HB2, del Toro states this sequence was supposed to be live action, but he couldn't fit it into the budget.

That is a reason that makes more sense. The sequence did seem very low budget...even for CGI.

Eli26
07-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Just got home from seeing it and I have one thing to say:

Where is my 1:6 Johann Krauss figure????

:tap

What did Johann Krauss mean when he showed them the gold rings and said I have a story to tell you about my humanity (not exact quote)... we never got any closure on that or did I miss something?

EVILFACE
07-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Agree, a box office thread about movies being release would be fun. It's not something that is movie specific.

The estimate for Friday is in... $13 million. So it will definitely do more than $30 million this weekend, likely in the $40-43 mil range. Not bad.

43 mil? You really think it will pick up 30 mill from sat and sun with a friday that only produced 13?

Buttmunch
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I saw this today. I thought it was good. Good but not great. But I would love to see a 1:6 Johan Kraus figure too. The lack of any 1:6 HB items from Sideshow has me worried though. Just 1:1s and 1:4s so far :(

At least their license mentions 12" figures. I think an HB and Johan would be the minimum to satisfy me, although I would love a new Abe and Prine Na.. New... Ner... whatever his name was.

The Mike
07-12-2008, 11:37 PM
What did Johann Krauss mean when he showed them the gold rings and said I have a story to tell you about my humanity (not exact quote)... we never got any closure on that or did I miss something?

They were his wedding rings. He mentioned right after that he lost the woman that he loved once and it lead to the embodiment that he was in currently. The story he is referencing is the story of how he became the way he was.

Eli26
07-13-2008, 12:06 AM
They were his wedding rings. He mentioned right after that he lost the woman that he loved once and it lead to the embodiment that he was in currently. The story he is referencing is the story of how he became the way he was.

Oh no, I got that. I thought we would learn something more about that. He went on to say I have more to tell you later. I can't remember exactly what it was. For Peep's sake, I am not as talented as some of you, who can quote an entire movie word for word after one viewing.

NSFolsom
07-13-2008, 12:33 AM
I saw it Friday night with my sister and we both loved it. I hope to see it again soon while wearing my BPRD shirt. I've been a long, long time Hellboy fan and I can't wait to see it again before I see The Dark Knight on Friday with my family on my sister's birthday.

nsmpls
07-13-2008, 01:30 AM
well i just saw it and i well i dident like it all that much the acting was off to me some times and the middle was to long, ending was to short left it open and the part where they get drunk and sing wasnt funny to me. I did like all the charecters and special effects but over all just alright i probebly will never watch it again but if they do make another one which im sure they will ill see that but dont get mad at me im just saying on my part :emperor

YoNoSe
07-13-2008, 07:53 AM

GDT has said that if there is a Part 3, Johann will get a more prominent role like the way Abe got elevated from his supporitng role in Part 1. The wedding rings were a tease to get you wondering about him, so you didn't miss anything.

Kabukiman
07-13-2008, 08:04 AM
My "box office prediction" Thread got mereged into this thread, how stupid?

The non-spoiler thread was merged in here as well. I don't get that... Until people start using the spoiler tag, a non-spoiler thread is very appreciated.

Anyway, I loved HB2. Easily the best movie of the year so far for me. The story was good, I loved the humor, the action was fun, Abe had a much better role, and best of all: no Myers.

YoNoSe
07-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I guess we need to leave room for the next 20 Dark Knight threads. :lol

hairlesswookiee
07-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess we need to leave room for the next 20 Dark Knight threads. :lol

lol... so true. i'm going to see HB2 again tomorrow with my GF. she hasn't seen it and i saw it on friday with some buddies. i wasn't that thrilled with it, but maybe a repeat offense will change that.

IrishJedi
07-13-2008, 11:10 AM
43 mil? You really think it will pick up 30 mill from sat and sun with a friday that only produced 13?

HELLBOY doesn't really strike me as the front-loaded type.

We were both a little off. The weekend estimate has come it at $36 million.

TheObsoleteMan
07-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Following the grosses on this movie is pointless. It's going to vanish off the face of the earth next weekend.

IrishJedi
07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
It's not pointless at all if you have any desire to see a third.

TheObsoleteMan
07-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Unless it grosses an assload of money between now and TDK's opening, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

IrishJedi
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
You guys act as if the rest of the world stops cold when TDK opens. :lol

The fact is, unless it's a complete phenomenon like TITANIC, a movie that opens up at $35 million has finite expectations for total gross (something like $70-100 million total, domestically) and another blockbuster opening up doesn't have as much impact on the smaller-grossing films.

HELLBOY is likely to drop 40-60% next weekend and then level out at 30-45% drops each week after that.... and that's going to happen with or without TDK.

TDK will open huge, no doubt. But some people WILL still be seeing other movies, you know. :lol

TheObsoleteMan
07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think TDK is going to be Titanic, but it is going to be huge, and if people weren't exactly dying to see Hellboy 2 this weekend, I'm not sure what would make them rush out in the wake of TDK to see it. I guess time will tell though. Personally I'd like to see a Hellboy 3 as I wasn't thrilled with The Golden Army and would love Del Toro redeem these characters for me.

The Mike
07-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Unless it grosses an assload of money between now and TDK's opening, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

According to both creators if a third film doesn't happen we'll at least get some questions answered:

Q: Will there be a third installment?

A: Guillermo Del Toro and Mike Mignola have both been stated saying that they would love to complete the Hellboy trilogy with a third film. However, if Hellboy 2 does not suceed in the theaters, they will make sure the Two-Disk Special Edition will indeed have a proper and suitable ending to relieve any questions of a third film

Also both GDT and Mignola said once Perlman decides not to do Hellboy, they will not recast and kill the line there but Perlman said himself in a recent interview with Wizard magazine that he would never get tired of playing Hellboy. He just requested a couple of years in between films to recuperate because the role is physically draining so even if the film is a success they wouldn't start filming a third until 2010.

IrishJedi
07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I read a recent interview with GDT where he stated, bluntly, that a HELLBOY III would be the last one and that he wouldn't even want prequels, sequels or anything else to be done after that.

Personally, I think a B.P.R.D. television show (sans Hellboy, of course) could be pretty cool.

The Mike
07-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Personally I'd like to see a Hellboy 3 as I wasn't thrilled with The Golden Army and would love Del Toro redeem these characters for me.

Rumors are that if Del Toro gets his way he wants to incorporate the old Universal Studios monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc) as if they came to life and the BPRD had to fight them....if that occurs it may seem more campy then anything else especially considering how many already established HB stories there already are.

Mignola has said that he wants to introduce more characters into the franchise though.

YoNoSe
07-13-2008, 12:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with following HB2's box office, even after everyone rushes back to this board after Dark Knight opens to make sure they have the right opinion about it.

Kabukiman
07-13-2008, 12:11 PM
...even after everyone rushes back to this board after Dark Knight opens to make sure they have the right opinion about it.

:lol Ain't that the truth. If anything, it'll be a good popcorn flick. :rotfl

YoNoSe
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
:lol Ain't that the truth. If anything, it'll be a good popcorn flick. :rotfl

Don't get me wrong, I love some Batman. But the comparisons are getting old and it's not even out yet. There have to be people keeping "pwned" on their clipboard just so they can paste it next to every other movie this summer.
Hellboy won't make as much money, but at least I can enjoy it for what it is and not what I declare it better than.
I hope people can do that with Batman come Friday.

galactiboy
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
That is a reason that makes more sense. The sequence did seem very low budget...even for CGI.

It does make sense, but at the same time I really enjoyed seeing a childlike view of a massive battle. It was suprising to see, but to me pretty cool. And I hadn't tied it into Howdy Dowdy (while I was watching) which in retrospect makes it even more fun.

Darth Waller
07-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I just got back from seeing it and loved it. Hellboy is my favorite comic character and the B.P.R.D. is a great group of characters. :rock

"I'm not a baby, I'm a tumor." :lol

Cocoboloboy
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
"I'm not a baby, I'm a tumor." :lol

I couldn't help but read this with an Arnold Swarzenegger accent in my head. :lol

carbo-fation
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Finally got to see it today. What a great movie. I loved it. Great CGi effects and Ron Pearlman did an excellent job. Couldn't have asked for more! Will definitely see it again tomorrow.:rock

Shai
07-13-2008, 04:24 PM
going to see it this week-end with the Dark Knight too.

winter
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm going to catch it a 3rd time. Of the dozen or so creatures I still haven't seen the Limb Vendor, nor the Cat Vendor.

In the book Art of HB 2 a sequence was eliminated (budget restrictions again) after the end credits. It was to feature a new character named Zinco along side a mutilated Rasputin. In the scene, our favorite freak is revived...Kroenen! I hope this flick makes enough cash to get the 3rd green lit.

icruise
07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
It seems like opinions are somewhat split, not unlike Crystal Skull. I for one liked this way better than Crystal Skull, although I liked that quite a bit as well. I do agree that some of humor seemed a little bit awkward, but overall I just loved it. The art direction and overall mythology that they created really blew me away.

Darklord Dave
07-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Actually with TDK selling out in Imax, it could sell out the regular theatres too and Hellboy could get some overflow business.

Once a movie opens then I don't really see the need of a seperate Spoiler thread, especially with the new spoiler tags. Just trying to do a little house cleaning.

CelticPredator
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Make sure its AFTER the 18th...I dont want another IMDB incident.

(someone decided to say SO AND SO DIES!!!!!! in big bold letters, in the middle of some thread. That sucked. Now I know things....I shouldnt know. )

The Mike
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
With TDK Dave, you'll have to do some serious clean up. The SPOILERS thread is completely loose and firing.

Amir
07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Just saw this and I loved it, great movie!

EVILFACE
07-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love some Batman. But the comparisons are getting old and it's not even out yet. There have to be people keeping "pwned" on their clipboard just so they can paste it next to every other movie this summer.
Hellboy won't make as much money, but at least I can enjoy it for what it is and not what I declare it better than.
I hope people can do that with Batman come Friday.

That is why a seperate Box Office thread is needed. Someones opinon on a film they hate or love has NOTHING to do with how well or bad it will perform to the masses for Box Office.

Speed Racer is vastly more popular and well known than Hellboy, and also got good reviews of people that saw it. But the movie failed horribly at the Box Office while unfunny trash like Baby Mama made some change.

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 05:25 AM
That is why a seperate Box Office thread is needed.

I totally agree. While box office is an important part of the industry, it has nothing to do with the quality of the films. A seperate thread would be great and eliminate a lot of :banghead .
Has there ever been a general box office thread? I feel like I've seen one before, but I may be thinking of another board.

Adoptedscot
07-14-2008, 06:22 AM
So how good is the new guy at Abe?

Ive read through these Spoilers and it seems DHP was not Abe?....Oh, I loved Abe, and DHP's voice was perfect imo, I remember the first time I watched HB and heard 'turn the pages please?' for the first time.Ah, good times,I have such a sad life :lol

Bring on the DVD :rock
x :D

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 06:37 AM
So how good is the new guy at Abe?

Ive read through these Spoilers and it seems DHP was not Abe?....Oh, I loved Abe, and DHP's voice was perfect imo, I remember the first time I watched HB and heard 'turn the pages please?' for the first time.Ah, good times,I have such a sad life :lol

Bring on the DVD :rock

Personally I think Doug Jones is great as Abe. Short story is that Doug Jones auditioned for the speaking role but DHP was the studio's choice. Afterwards DHP felt that Doug Jones deserved the part since he performed the character. Because of that, he refused to take credit for the role and refused to do the sequel. So now DJ is the body and voice of Abe Sapien. They actually have similar voices, so it's not a "night and day" type change.

Adoptedscot
07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Personally I think Doug Jones is great as Abe. Short story is that Doug Jones auditioned for the speaking role but DHP was the studio's choice. Afterwards DHP felt that Doug Jones deserved the part since he performed the character. Because of that, he refused to take credit for the role and refused to do the sequel. So now DJ is the body and voice of Abe Sapien. They actually have similar voices, so it's not a "night and day" type change.

Cool, thanks for the info YoNoSe, I didnt know that. :rock

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Cool, thanks for the info YoNoSe, I didnt know that. :rock

No prob, I didn't know the whole story until this thread. A lot of that info was contributed by other boardies. :duff

Gruson
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Sorry, not a fan of this one.

I thought part 1 was ok (nothing great) but this one was just lacking IMO...a little too "out there" as well.

No real tension or drama. I just wanted to fast forward and make it end.

That said, it was better than Indy IV, that is for sure.

So far, Iron Man and Hulk are the winners for me this year.

GrueSam
07-14-2008, 07:10 AM
and if people weren't exactly dying to see Hellboy 2 this weekend,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Vixter/Smilies/hallo.gif I definitely was dying to see it, and I LOVED it. :rock

The ill Jedi
07-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Saw HBII on Saturday, it ROCKED, 'Nuff Said.

Not gonna say it was better than th first, 'cause I love that one, but I liked this one a lot!!

HB and Abe pounding Tecates and singing ws probably my favorit scene. :lol

IrishJedi
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I almost forgot, but I absolutely HATED the young Hellboy in the beginning of the movie. I liked the legend of the Golden Army with the wooden figure bit, and seeing John Hurt back was great. But I really could have done without that kid. So, so awkward and cheesy.

Darth Waller
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Yep, I could have done without Hellkid.

Jesseawilson
07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I must be the only one that found the drinking scene monumentally unfunny, awkward and uncomfortable. I actually couldn't look at the screen it made me cringe so much.

Maybe I was just in a bad mood, or maybe there were to many disappointments at the beginning with Abe's voice being different, and the whole hellkid scene. Eventually enough was enough and I wasn't even interested in watching the rest of the movie I was so let down.

Jen
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I loved this movie - I especially liked the story about the whole underworld and the Prince wanting to take back the land because the humans are ruining it. I also could have done without the scenes of the Hellkid - but that was really the only thing that wasn't spectacular for me. I can't wait to see it again......those tooth fairies were so cool. :D And the Prince was just f'n awesome. :rock

icruise
07-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I liked the Hellkid scene because of John Hurt, but I didn't like the design of the kid himself or his performance much. But I really liked how it added another dimension to the relationship between Hellboy and Broom. Broom really was his father.

The only truly awkward moment for me was the singing, but it wasn't that bad. It did seem like they tried a little too hard to be funny sometimes.

I thought the movie in general seemed closer in tone to the animated movies than to the first film, as was the story.

galactiboy
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I liked the Hellkid scene because of John Hurt, but I didn't like the design of the kid himself or his performance much. But I really liked how it added another dimension to the relationship between Hellboy and Broom. Broom really was his father.

Hellkid didn't bother me, I thought he was kinda funny and they did a good job (IMO) of making him real gawky looking. Also, the kids face looked a lot like Perlman as HB.

Darth Waller
07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Now that I've seen this, I'm still surprised that we're getting a 1:1 Big Baby and 1:1 Angel of Death bust. While the design of both are really cool, their short screen time doesn't warrant a full-size release in my opinion. I'd much rather have a 1:1 Abe Sapien bust.

Amir
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Hellkid didn't bother me, I thought he was kinda funny and they did a good job (IMO) of making him real gawky looking. Also, the kids face looked a lot like Perlman as HB.

I agree 100%, he had his features for sure.

icruise
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Now that I've seen this, I'm still surprised that we're getting a 1:1 Big Baby and 1:1 Angel of Death bust. While the design of both are really cool, their short screen time doesn't warrant a full-size release in my opinion. I'd much rather have a 1:1 Abe Sapien bust.

I know. Cool designs, but not in any way integral to the movie. I can think of a lot of things (1/6 scale figures for one) that I might have preferred that they concentrate on.

I liked the sequence a lot, mind you. I just thought that something about his design seemed a tad off. Maybe it was the hair.

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I think once you make a lifesize bust of Bossk, all bets are off.:lol

I would prefer 1/6 figures to just about anything that's been offered so far.

galactiboy
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I liked the sequence a lot, mind you. I just thought that something about his design seemed a tad off. Maybe it was the hair.

Yeah, the hair was kinda funky... I just attributed it to mid-50's style :lol

And I think the Big Baby and Angel of Death figure, while not something I would drop the cash on, are good in that they are so recognizable in the film.

But for me, I'd love to see a 1:1 tooth fairy! Those were great looking :rock

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, the hair was kinda funky... I just attributed it to mid-50's style :lol

And I think the Big Baby and Angel of Death figure, while not something I would drop the cash on, are good in that they are so recognizable in the film.

But for me, I'd love to see a 1:1 tooth fairy! Those were great looking :rock

I think Gentle Giant displayed a large Totth Fairy, not sure if it was 1:1.

icruise
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I think the Gentle Giant statue is 1:1, at least judging from the film. It's 8" tall. Kind of pricey at $150, though.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/GG10274.jpg

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
That's the one :)

Jen
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM

I kind of agree....because SSC was putting out a 1:1 bust of the Angel of Death, I assumed it would have a bigger role in the film. The predictions the Angel made to Liz make me excited for *hopefully* the next one. I woiiuld love a pF of Abe so I can get rid of that huge comiquette I have....I would also rather have a PF of the Prince.....he would look so cool posed next to HB.

Darklord Dave
07-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Yep, a 1/6 Johann and Nuada would seem to be no-brainers for this license. I guess we'll have to wait until a 1/6 company gets the license...:rolleyes:

Darth Loki
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Please dear god give me a Prince Nuada PF :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

I've never sympathized with a villain more in any other movie.

We're going to see this again in SD right Jen ;)

Amir
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I have yet to read the comics but maybe the Angel of Death has a bigger role possibly in the next one???

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I have yet to read the comics but maybe the Angel of Death has a bigger role possibly in the next one???

That's what I'm thinking. The movies are much different from the books, and he's an original character to the movies. But it did seem that he would take great interest in what happens next.

bagelsncheesey
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Saw it yesterday and loved it. Even better than the first. The action was great, and the humor was just done perfectly. The scene with him and Abe drinking was friggin great. Loved it. :rock

bagelsncheesey
07-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Yeah we are, lover. ;)

oh wait, you said Jen. :0(

icruise
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM

I don't think that collectible companies are going to decide to make a statue or figure just because it might possibly be an important character in a movie that hasn't been written yet and has no guarantee that it will even be made. I kind of wonder just how much companies like Gentle Giant or Sideshow knew about the finished movie. Did they know that the Angel of Death would only be appear as a minor character in one scene? Did they know that Big Baby was not given much screen time? It's possible that they just decided to go with some of the more impressive designs from the film and didn't care how much the characters figured in the plot, but it really does seem strange that we're getting none of the main characters (aside from HB of course).

I know that Mezco's Wink figure has the wrong head because they had to base the figure on an earlier concept of the character (to their credit, they're offering a correct head to people who bought the figure). Is it possible that other companies made their decisions about what to produce based on incomplete information about the finished movie?

Darth Loki
07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah we are, lover. ;)

oh wait, you said Jen. :0(

We can't spend the entire weekend together bro. I think our significant others will get jealous :monkey3

icruise
07-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Speaking of Big Baby, was anyone else disappointed by it? I mean, it's a cool looking weapon and all, but they didn't give any back story for it, so I still have no idea why it plays a lullaby, or what its origin is. And the idea that he just happened to have to rescue that baby when he was using it seemed to be a little unbelievable.

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I never expected Big Baby to be more than sight gag. I was pretty surprised by all the fuss over it. It just seemed like a funny joke in the trailer...I never imagined him lugging it around for the whole movie.

galactiboy
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I think the Gentle Giant statue is 1:1, at least judging from the film. It's 8" tall. Kind of pricey at $150, though.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/GG10274.jpg

Well, there ya go. Now I don't need to wait for someone else to make one. A bit pricey, but looks pretty darn cool. Not 100% on the base though, would prefer a simple design or no base.

dunedain
07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Well, there ya go. Now I don't need to wait for someone else to make one. A bit pricey, but looks pretty darn cool. Not 100% on the base though, would prefer a simple design or no base.

Maybe the base is attachable. It looks really fragile to be stuck on to it IMO.

Darth Loki
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM

GG doesn't have a great track record with fragile items and shipping. This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Still, will have to pick this up for our HB collection down the road. I have a feeling this will be available pretty cheap down the road.

galactiboy
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Still, will have to pick this up for our HB collection down the road. I have a feeling this will be available pretty cheap down the road.

I think you're probably right... its cool, but maybe a bit odd for the average collector.

blue_rogue
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Actually part 1 cost about $65 mil and I think 2 was about $72. Nevertheless you're right about what an accomplishment it is. GDT busted his ass at least six days a week on this thing and I can't believe people are making such crazy claims about losing his way without budget constraints. The beautiful puppet theater prologue was entirely the result of budget issues, as was Johanne's practical suit (which was initially to be a cgi head removal replaced with a clear glass bulb as in the comics).
To compare this movie to George Lucas tampering with the OT is mind boggling to me.

Really? An article in Sci Fi Magazine stated that the budget was smaller this time around. Last time I listen to them. :thwak

icruise
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
When you think about how much was going on in this film and compare it films that cost much more (I'm looking at you, $170 million Terminator 3) it really is impressive. There was still quite a bit of CGI, but I thought it worked well. The golden army warriors were fantastic. I'm surprised we haven't seen any collectibles or toys based on them.

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Really? An article in Sci Fi Magazine stated that the budget was smaller this time around. Last time I listen to them. :thwak

I hate math, but if you think about inflation and whatnot...how much difference is ther really between $65 and $72 million when there are four years between movies? Plus who knows which figures are factoring in the marketing, yadda yadda....so they may have been correct with the info they had at the time.:dunno
The bottom line is GDT gets the most bang for his buck. :D

Sick Boy 82
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
When you think about how much was going on in this film and compare it films that cost much more (I'm looking at you, $170 million Terminator 3) it really is impressive. There was still quite a bit of CGI, but I thought it worked well. The golden army warriors were fantastic. I'm surprised we haven't seen any collectibles or toys based on them.

WTF??xInfinity!! I want a Golden Army Maquette! Just a huge bastard of one too!!

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
WTF??xInfinity!! I want a Golden Army Maquette! Just a huge bastard of one too!!

:rotfl
:lol:lol:lol

Jen
07-14-2008, 05:17 PM

I would LOVE to see it again....just don't know when we would find the time. :lol :lol

Darth Loki
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I would LOVE to see it again....just don't know when we would find the time. :lol :lol

No ^^^^ :google

CelticPredator
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Since Mezco is doing the 4" figures also, im pretty sure we will get scaled Golden Army dudes to go with 'em.

winter
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/jahsii/nuadarules.jpg

May this remind you why you once feared the dark.

FQRizzo
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM

The Star Wars fan in me wants this guy to wield a lightsaber. :lol

Darth Loki
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM

:rock:rock:rock:rock

winter
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of this guy. A great, great character.

The Mike
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Prince Nuada is one of the best characters done in a long time, I really didn't want the character to die although when the connection was revealed between him and Nuala it was predictable about how he was going to die. A PF of his would sell out without a doubt and I'd get it in a minute although I'd want the black suited version and not the white ceremonial version in the climax.

Johann would look great in a PF as well but I'd settle for a 1/6.

YoNoSe
07-14-2008, 07:35 PM
If they make a Johann I need to find some of that fake smoke they use on model train sets. Is that stuff still legal?

m0reta
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
If they make a Johann I need to find some of that fake smoke they use on model train sets. Is that stuff still legal?

You can probably customize a smoke/fog machine. You can get them at Spencer's in a mall or some party/costume store.

For anyone who wasn't too keen about Hellkid, check out this article:

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php?id=6885

It gave me a finer appreciation of the whole scene. :-D

IrishJedi
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I must have a Johann 1/6 and a new Abe in the black suit (which would look better anyway since it wont show the joints).

EVILFACE
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Wasn't he is The Time Machine remake??? How uncreative.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/punkyleigh/2002_the_time_machine_015.jpg

icruise
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Did you even see the movie?

winter
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
You can probably customize a smoke/fog machine. You can get them at Spencer's in a mall or some party/costume store.

For anyone who wasn't too keen about Hellkid, check out this article:

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php?id=6885

It gave me a finer appreciation of the whole scene. :-D

Thanks a million for the article.

A PF statue would be great. I'm in for sure:D

Adoptedscot
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM

I still can't belive thats Luke Goss, I mean Luke Goss !! It's amazing what he's done with his career in the last few years compared to the days of Bros.....ha ha, sorry just had high school flashback of my friends drooling over him and his twin
When will I be famous indeed :rock
x

YoNoSe
07-15-2008, 02:46 AM
MY intro Luke Goss was Blade 2, my favorite guilty pleasure movie. I didn't find out about Bros until later. :)

carbo-fation
07-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Luke Goss will star as Steve Fox in the new upcoming Tekken movie. After watching [email protected], I am now a fan of his.:D

piccolodaimaoh
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Just saw this last night, just in time or else I would have gone to see Batman on Thursday, and I loved it.
An amazing film, visually stunning, the action was great, I wish Abe was able to at least kiss Nuala before she died.
I loved the duel between Hellboy and Nuada, not as good as the duel in Prince Caspian but damn near close IMHO.
The opening with the history played out as puppets was great. Seeing Hellboy as a kid watching Howdy Doody with his father was very touching.
Did anyone else get a Dark Crystal vibe from this film?
Overall I will be buying this on DVD and maybe see it again in the theater.

Can't wait for part III!!

galactiboy
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Good call on the Dark Crystal... I hadn't thought of it at the time, but now that you mention it, the movie did have a bit of that flavor.

creature4000
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
There was a bit more MIB feel in the begining then I'd like. That said... this was a GREAT flick... I LMAO through the whole thing.

The scene wiht Death was Awesome!!!!!!

screamingmetal
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I just saw it, and I thought it was pretty good, but I had major issues with the fast editing. I don't know if I was sitting too close to the screen (I sit middle middle) but, the editing was just too fast for as much as they had on the screen and for how close some of the shots were to the subjects and action. I just couldn't get any real focus on anything. The editing was also to fast for as much eye candy they had on the screen.

Loved the story, character designs, costumes, sets, everything but the editing.
Also the damn theater had the volume too goddamn loud so the ear piercing high pitch sounds really made me wince. I f^^^ing hate it when they do that. :mad:
Maybe I just had a sour experience, and need to see this again.
I think I'll like this much more after repeated DVD screenings.

BadMoon
07-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Just got back and thought it was good. I have to admit that I never read the comics so I don't know if that plays a part or not. After watching DK yesterday this was just okay.

Just caught an advance screening of this (I have a friend that works in a cinema) as it's not out until 20th August in UK

Absolutely awesome...thought Krauss was a cool character and was awesome when he controlled one of the golden army near the end

Props to Goss though..........nailed the character and came across as not evil but really doing what he that was best

so many good moments.... the grass & flowers growing after the elemental was killed, the whole troll market scene, the golden army fight etc

Adoptedscot
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I so cannot wait to see this :rock :rock
Saw it advertised on TV the other night and it looks amazing and the majority here seem to have loved it so bring on the DVD! :rock

galactiboy
08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I thought it was a great movie! Much like anything you can find faults, but I really enjoyed it and hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

dunedain
08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I saw the movie yesterday during a special premiere screening just after midnight. It's one awesome Hellboy movie. :rock

YoNoSe
08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Easily my favorite movie this summer. I'm kind of jealous of people who still have it to look forward to on the big screen.

shai supports piracy :lecture :lol

Shai
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
A bootleg shot with a video camera? That's really lame.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WAS....:rolleyes:

Shai
08-17-2008, 01:24 PM
shai supports piracy :lecture :lol

:lecture:lecture:lecture

icruise
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WAS....:rolleyes:

I think it's lame, Mr. Rolly-eyes. It's lame because piracy could endanger a sequel, and it's lame because the quality is atrocious. Lame.

Shai
08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it's lame, Mr. Rolly-eyes. It's lame because piracy could endanger a sequel, and it's lame because the quality is atrocious. Lame.

STILL YOU CLICKED THE LINK TO SEE IT...:rolleyes:

PIRACY DONT ENDANGER A SEQUEL.....BAD MOVIES DOES IT.

Darklord Dave
08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Links to pirate sites are not allowed here. And people that watch pirated films are lame idiots anyway.

CelticPredator
08-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh pishaw. Without 'em, how could I see the TDK's best scenes over and over again with a click of the mouse.

Darth Waller
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
From DVD Active: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hellboy-ii.html

"Universal Home Video has announced 1-disc ($29.98), 3-disc ($34.98) and Blu-ray ($39.98) editions of Hellboy II: The Golden Army which stars Ron Perlman. The full details have yet to be confirmed I'm afraid (including the street date) but we can tell you that the 3-disc edition will include a digital copy of the film and around 3 hours of bonus content. The 2-disc Blu-ray edition will also include the digital copy, along with a feature that enables you to build your own comic book. Stay tuned for further details as we get them.

A collector's set containing the 3-disc release will also be available for $59.98. This will include a Limited Golden Army Statue, and an excerpt from the journal of Guillermo Del Toro."

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/346/hbcj9.jpg

icruise
08-22-2008, 02:19 PM
It sounds like you can't get the statue with the Blu-ray version, or am I misreading that?

Darth Waller
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
It sounds like you can't get the statue with the Blu-ray version, or am I misreading that?

You can. It's listed as the Blu-ray High-def Collector's Set.

Predalien08
08-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Was it me or did hellboy look smaller in this movie. His arms and muscles didn't seem as defined and he didn't seem as monsterous. I wasn't real impressed coming out of the theater but the more I think of it the more I want to see it on Bluray. there was so much stuff going on on screen that I'm sure I missed things

galactiboy
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll at least get the Blu-Ray set, maybe the full one with statue, but not 100% sure I need it :lol

Darth Waller
08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Not counting food, do we really need anything we buy? :lol

wofford29
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Links to pirate sites are not allowed here. And people that watch pirated films are lame idiots anyway.

Dammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn. Dave don't play that ^^^^. I think I need to send you a warning.:lol

galactiboy
08-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Not counting food, do we really need anything we buy? :lol

Hey, if I can forgo good food so I can have a cool figure I think we know the answer :lol

Darth Waller
08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A9042/90425/300_90425.gif

Darth Caedus
09-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Just saw the film and I enjoyed it. Maybe I missed it, but the Angel of Death didn't really have too much of a plot point going for it, but was awesome to look at.

The Prince was quite the badass and all the effects and makeup were top notch. This will look amazing on bluray

McHavyck
09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Just saw the film and I enjoyed it. Maybe I missed it, but the Angel of Death didn't really have too much of a plot point going for it, but was awesome to look at.

The Prince was quite the badass and all the effects and makeup were top notch. This will look amazing on bluray

:lecture :lecture

Darth Caedus
09-22-2008, 08:04 PM
http://www.clucksworld.co.uk/b3ta/mi_mi_mi.gif

Chimera 1
09-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Gotta say the movie was alright at best. It seemed rushed. They watered down the main characters and outting Hellboy was a bad idea. Plus the movie was over politicized. You could say this was a "Green movie". They made the big green monster seem like it was going to be the Cloverfield Monster but ended up the Stay Puff'd Marshmallow man. They could have left him out and gave us more of the Prince. Del Toro could have done this much better. They also left out allot of the cheeky humor that the first one had. Hopefully they don't do another movie because this one IMO is listed next to Matrix 2.

CelticPredator
09-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Must everything become political? A green plant monster is unique and different. Which is what Del Toro does....

YoNoSe
09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
The plant Elemental was probably my favorite scene. It illustrated Nuada's point perfectly and much more efficiently than any dialogue could have, IMO.

Predalien08
11-19-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hellboy2.htm

This makes me hopeful for a 3rd installment. It did very well in worldwide box office sales and I'm sure the dvd sales will be really good as well. The only thing that saddens me is the foreign box office showed more love to Hellboy than we did.

KrisSolo
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Thought this was MUCH better than the first film, and that was no slouch. Great action, great effects, nice nods towards a third installment. Wish we didn't have to wait so long for Del Toro's attention... though I guess The Hobbit will be worth it!

IronFingaz
11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hellboy2.htm

This makes me hopeful for a 3rd installment. It did very well in worldwide box office sales and I'm sure the dvd sales will be really good as well. The only thing that saddens me is the foreign box office showed more love to Hellboy than we did.

It did open the week before The Dark Knight madness so it only had 1 week to make serious money. After that it was all Batman. Sucks, because i thought it would atleast hit $100 mill. before bowing out but that release date hurt it bad.

uscmhicks
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
The plant Elemental was probably my favorite scene. It illustrated Nuada's point perfectly and much more efficiently than any dialogue could have, IMO.

:lecture:lecture:lecture