Hellboy II with Spoilers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really taken aback by the level of slapstick humor. They turned the campiness up to 11. Even Ron Perlman, who was so fantastic in the first movie, was practically mugging for the camera. I half expected a rimshot after each of his forced one-liners.

The creature designs were magnificent, but there was just way too many of them. It's as if Del Toro was afraid he'd never get to make another film so he jammed every monster he could ever conceive of into this one movie.

Re: Box Office Predictions July 11th "Hellboy 2"

First was a BO failure, I don't see the second lighting up the BO either. I say 35 mil opening and getting slaughtered by TDK and finishing with 75ish.

Selma Blair looks pretty hot in it.

The dome guy whoever that is looks pretty kewl. I'd buy a 1/6th figure of him.

And having seen both pictures, I feel safe saying that no one will suggest this is remotely in a league with "The Dark Knight."

i agree with most all of your points, especially this. i think they should have waited until after the summer to release this movie. and the Prince Nuada is such an awesome character....he was a total B.A. until the last fight, which was a let down to me. he can do all the crazy kung-fu flips and kicks, but the second Hellboy takes his weapon away he's completely defenseless???? i would think after seeing him kick everyone's arses throughout the rest of the movie that he would've been able to hold his own a little bit better after being disarmed.

I can't remember the last time I walked out of a movie theater this happy. Definitely my favorite movie of the summer.

Great movie! Just saw it and loved it! In my opinion it was better than the original. Very cool and original action scenes. Can't wait for 3!

I hated this movie, to me it was a bigger let down then KOTCS.

The dialog was atrocious, the forced comedy actually made me feel uncomfortable sitting in my seat, the hellboy kid seen was horrible, the drunk scene with abe and hellboy was terrible, when hellboy was sitting watching tv you could see his head shrink into the suit like he was some sort of turtle his neck just vanished,the fact that Abe's voice was different was something I couldn't get past the entire movie. All in all I would have walked out if I wasn't there with my family, as it was I tried to fall asleep through most of it to pas the time faster but unfortunately I couldn't.

It was too much of too much. The comedy was to comedic, the action was to over the top, the romance was way to sappy, and the slow parts were way to slow. OMG wayyyyy to many characters thrown in, the troll market felt like it was ripped right from harry potter when they were walking through Diagon Alley.

Edit: OMFG how can I forget the German smoke man. That is what put me over the edge. I just closed my eyes and tried to get it over with from then on.

All I have to say after seeing them ^^^^ the bed with KOTCS and HB II is that if Dark Knight and X files II suck I have lost all faith in sequels (and most of my faith in Hollywood).

GOD DAMIT I love Hellboy, me and my 5 year old watch it together all the time. Even she didn't like the second one. How fing frustrating!!

Last edited:
I liked it. But I was distracted the whole way through, not the movies fault though.

The monsters were sweet! I love Del Toro's monsters. I still like the first better, but this was quite awesome. I had a few little issues here and there, but for the most part, I liked it. Johann was my favorite character.

Re: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army's Repeat Offenders

Hellboy will punch ya!

Anyway, yes. Yes I will.

Theater was packed. Normally, people would rather see something silly, and fun like say Meet Dave, or Journey to the Center of the Earth, but no! They all came for big Red himself. With the great reviews, and Del Toro's newly found, but well deserved popularity, I think it'll do pretty good!

Re: Just saw HellBoy 2 [no spoilers]

No one stayed after the credits?

I want my favourite Ninja-Nazi back...

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

From IMDB:

Q:Will Kroenen be in this?
A: No, he will not. Though it was hoped that he would have a cameo in the ending credits, Universal never gave the go ahead.

I also didn't know this:

Q: Why isn't David Hyde Pierce doing the voice for Abe this time?
A: In the first movie, it was a decision by the studio to have David's voice for Abe Sapien instead of Doug. The reason for this is that they hoped to bank on David's name bringing in more people to the theater. This backfired when David refused to take credit for what he felt was truly Doug Jones' role and as such never promoted the movie, never did any interviews and didn't go to the premiere.

Since Universal is producing this movie instead of Sony or Revolution, they are allowing Doug to do the voice of Abe and David hasn't been asked to return.

For the record, David tried to modulate his voice to sound like Doug's when he did the looping sessions for the first movie.

Looks to have made 13 mil on friday. So prolly 30 mil for the 3 day take.

I thought it was awesome!! :rock

Ron Pearlman is so entertaining as Hellboy that, like other have already said, he could do just about anything as HB and I'd be happy. :D

The drinking scene between HB and Abe was hilarious. :rotfl

Anybody else catch the Kroenen cameo?

Krauss was awesome. :lol I'm not a Family Guy fan at all so I know nothing about Seth MacFarlane, but I thought he did a great job.

I was really pleased with how much time Abe got. In the first movie he doesn't do much at all and then he gets hurt so he's out the rest of the movie. In HB 2, we got to see some character development for him.

The character designs were outstanding. I can't see how anybody would complain that there were too many in the movie. :confused: That's like complaining that Star Wars had too many different species of characters in it.

The only parts are really didn't like were the whole pregnancy B-story. I thought it wasn't needed at all. HB could have just quit at the end like he did in the comics.

Also, the Angel of death scene wasn't needed. The BPRD could have just followed the Prince to the goblin city. They did have a copy of the map.

Just got back from seeing it. The bedtime story sequence in the beginning of the movie: Did I miss the reason why everything was wooden puppets?

Hellboy was watching Howdy Doody, a puppet. Father reads story and we see it from HB's imagination - a war between humans and woodland creatures as puppets. :D

Seen it twice.HBII is magical!

Re: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army's Repeat Offenders

I'll be back as soon as possible. I'm trying to sway some friends from going to see Hancock instead. If not today, tomorrow for sure.
Awesome thread, we do need to support this movie. I think if people give it a chance it will win them over. When we came out of the first movie my fiancee said she didn't love the movie but she really liked HB himself. Last night she was laughing out loud, especially at the singalong. Great crowd reaction throughout.

Re: Just saw HellBoy 2 [no spoilers]

I hadn't read that quote about David Hyde Pierce either. Usually you assume something unpleasant is behind a cast member not returning, but that's actually cool and very classy of DHP.

I enjoyed it, about on the same level as the first one, which I watched again last night. What I really liked about it was that Nuada was somewhat sympathetic as was the nature god. It gave the whole thing much more depth.

And who doesn't want to command a golden army to wipe out humanity every now and then?

I loved Krauss although I'm sure I would have hated him if I'd have known that was Seth McFarlane. But the character design and how he interacted with the team was great. His transition was a bit too abrupt though.

I'd agree with GOB that Tambor was under utilized. In the first film they made a couple of overtures as if he would take up the father figure position in Hellboy's life - but none of that was augmented here.

I thought Doug Jones did an okay job with the dialogue - he sounds enough like Hyde Pierce that it didn't bother me.

Back