PDA

View Full Version : J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tomandshell
10-12-2007, 01:50 AM
I looked around and it doesn't seem that there is an "official" thread to discuss this project, so here goes. Is anybody else looking forward to it?

The latest news is that Abrams has cast Simon Pegg, star of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, as a young Scotty. (They previously worked together on M:I:III.) Also, one of the stars of "Harold and Kumar" has been cast as Sulu.

This follows Eric Bana's casting as the villain, which I am excited about. And, of course, Zachary Quinto of Heroes is Spock (along with Leonard Nimoy).

Are there any Trek fans left out there who are following the progress of this movie?

Reinhardt
10-12-2007, 03:40 AM
that's pretty much all the information that there is out there so far.

I'm really really jazzed about this. Simon Peg as Scotty and "Harold" as Sulu will be interesting. And Eric Bana will make an excellent villain.

it's been a while since i've seen a really good Star Trek movie.

DarkArtist81
10-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Yeah, that is some pretty sweet casting so far. I'm really excited to see where it goes next. I just want to see another good Trek movie, whatever the costs. :rock

Josette
10-12-2007, 04:33 AM
I'm definitely following the news, and looking forward to the movie.

Reinhardt
10-12-2007, 04:35 AM
i'm very interested what they do with the Enterprise design.

will they stay old school, or update it?

Darren Carnall
10-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Whatever they do, people will complain

pixletwin
10-12-2007, 07:36 AM

Boy is that the truth. Trek fans are worse than Star Wars fans when it comes to whining, me thinks. :lol

Michael Crawford
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I can't quite figure out the timeline though - originally, this was going to be young Kirk and Spock back in the days of the academy. But with the addition of the likes of Sulu, Scotty and Uhura, it's clearly after that when Kirk is already a captain...but considering how long Vulcans live, suddenly Quinto seems a tad too young.

Of course, Abrams is talented, and can pull it off. The casting of Kirk is going to be the key though, and they know it.

Kabukiman
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
December 2008 cannot come soon enough. I'm very excited about the project, even though I know very little about it outside of the casting news. I guess I don't really care who gets cast in what roles, I care more about the story.

I'm a little disappointed that Next Gen didn't get a proper send-off, but if this project injects life into the franchise, I can let Next Gen go.

Darthrazz
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM

How true.....I think that if done right and people are willing to look at this with fresh eyes , this might work. I too have been waiting a long time for a real good Star Trek movie, this might re-ignite the franchise. So far the cast choices seem very good. Eric bana is a good actor, I don't know what character he's playing, I just hope that they don't bury him in a ton of "alien" makeup where's he's not even recognizable. I guess the Matt Damon , Kirk , rumor wasn't true?......

I wonder if JJ ABrams would dare to have this movie WITHOUT Kirk? **GEEK ALERT** After all Spock did serve on the Enterprise for many years before Kirk did.

My plot ideas....bear with me. Leonard Nimoy has been cast, so maybe Old Spock, gets in touch with Young Spock of the Past. Young Spocks crew(without KIRK, yet) but Commander Pike, are sent on a mission to in the past to confront a young Dr. Soran ( Eric Bana) from conducting his Nexus experiments, all in a an effort to avoid the death of Captain Kirk. I know that it's a lame plot and it involves Time Travel which the Star Trek franchise has beaten to death, but I really though the death of Captain Kirk was a travesty. Anyway those are my two cents....Not the greatest of ideas , but hey I'm on 2 hours sleep today!

On a side note has anyone ever heard Eddie Izzards Star Trek comedy bit? It's beyond Hilarious!

DarthNeil
10-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Will Eric Bana possibly be playing a Romulan?... That would be where old Spock currently is and maybe the threat comes from Romulus...

My two cents-- Nathan Fillion as Kirk.

Michael Crawford
10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Will Eric Bana possibly be playing a Romulan?... That would be where old Spock currently is and maybe the threat comes from Romulus...

My two cents-- Nathan Fillion as Kirk.

I love Fillion, but he's too old at this point to be pre-TOS. He could be post TOS, but then the ages of the other characters all get screwed up.

You know, I like the idea of Pike...

Darklord Dave
10-12-2007, 09:54 AM
AICN had a pic of the guy rumored to be cast as Kirk and he does look like a pretty boy version of a young Shatner.

Also according to rumors this is kind of a reboot - this starts an alternate timeline than the traditional Trek universe thus the time shifting with Nimoy and Quinto playing the same character.

Reinhardt
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
all this talk has got me really jazzed about this movie now! I wonder who they'll cast as McCoy?

Darthrazz
10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
all this talk has got me really jazzed about this movie now! I wonder who they'll cast as McCoy?

I think that Gary Sinise would be a great McCoy. Wasn't McCoy always suppsoed be older than the rest of the cast? I think that might work.

The Godfather
10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I think that Gary Sinise would be a great McCoy. Wasn't McCoy always suppsoed be older than the rest of the cast? I think that might work.

According to IMDB DeForest Kelley McCoy was born in 1920. In contrast the rest of the cast other than James Doohan also born in 1920 were all born in the 1930s. So yes McCoy is older I think Gary Sinise is actually a great choice on has that same kinda raspy voice.

Rogue Trooper
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Star Trek always been something ive watched if it on and i go see this. Simon Pegg would be great.

Michael Crawford
10-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Although it's not fair, how geeked I remain for this movie is also going to depend on how well Cloverfield turns out.

Batty
10-12-2007, 11:26 AM

I think Sinise was rumored to play Bones months ago and shot down. I like him a lot, but I also like that they're going with relatively newer actors to play the roles. The casting of the kid from Huff should make an interesting Chekov.

tomandshell
10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Are there any rumors about who might be playing Christopher Pike? Maybe Spock is already serving with Pike as the story begins and Kirk is introduced.

Darthrazz
10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Are there any rumors about who might be playing Christopher Pike? Maybe Spock is already serving with Pike as the story begins and Kirk is introduced.

I remember reading somewhere that Tom Cruise was rumored to have a cameo as Pike.

Fritz
10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I have to admit, I haven't been following it very closely. But I am looking forward to it. It may be a little strange seeing others play my favorite characters from my childhood but I won't dismiss it like some die hards may. Hopefully they do a good job with it.

screamingmetal
10-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm very eager to see the new Trek film! So far the casting has been brilliant. But I really hope they update the costumes and sets since early Trek didn't have a large budget. It'll also be interesting to see how they deal with the incredibly archaic computer technology of the early Trek.

tomandshell
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
So Chris Pine is confirmed as the young Captain Kirk. I did not see him opposite Lindsay Lohan in "Just My Luck" and I wasn't paying attention when my wife was watching him in "Princess Diaries 2" so I can't say how well I think he will do in a Trek role. Based just on his looks, I think he could make a pretty reasonable young Kirk. But can he act?

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/4717/ChrisPine_Cohen_8569899_400.jpg

Giant Chicken
10-15-2007, 11:58 PM
He should have won an Academy Award for his performance in Smoking Aces!!!

Darth Caedus
10-16-2007, 12:55 AM
He should have won an Academy Award for his performance in Smoking Aces!!!

LoL...He was great in smoking aces, he would freak the crap out of me if I saw that person in real life.

Ultimate Weapon
10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Just to fuel the rumor report, I read on theonering.net that Karl Urban (Eomer from LOTR) is in talks to play McCoy.

galactiboy
10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to this! I love Star Trek, especially TOS, so I have hopes this won't suckass. However, its a tough call as to what will happen... especially with how hit-and-miss Trek movies are.

The Godfather
10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Found this pic on google images.

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/star-trek-casting-kirk.jpg

KitFisto
10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
As a big Trek fan I am looking forward to this although I am still torn on the idea of other actors playing the roles of the OS crew.

jedibear
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't know...the more I read n' see about this, the more it's looking like it's going to make that horrid "Lost in Space" re-boot of a few years back look like an all-time classic. Urban as McCoy? That's some re-boot...

The Mike
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
You know I never really followed Trek. I did get into Deep Space Nine for a bit but never could catch myself enough for the others. With all of these castings I'm interested to see how this movie pans out.....I'm definitely heading to the theaters to see it but I'm interested if all of this casting news is to cover a lack of substance....its a definite concern for films like this and Miller's JLA where they cast interesting and pretty people but the fear is that the story itself is flawed.....

Also, its interesting when they do prequels of films that are that old....will they go the ROTS route and make the actors look 70s?

And will SSC support this film with 1/6 or even PFs?

Reinhardt
10-17-2007, 04:13 AM
Just to fuel the rumor report, I read on theonering.net that Karl Urban (Eomer from LOTR) is in talks to play McCoy.

Karl Urban IS McCoy! Confirmed from www.aintitcoolnews.com

Darthrazz
10-17-2007, 05:09 AM
Being that J.J. Abrams is making this movie, what do you guys think about casting Matthew Fox from LOST as Christopher Pike? Also according to IMDB Eric Bana will be playing the character of NERO.

Kabukiman
10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Is it confirmed that Christopher Pike will be in this film?

Darth Caedus
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20071012/en_movies_eo/ca57c593_a6a049d0_a0e4_161e9a153c9f;_ylt=AgecY3Y5e eO.XAxrK7TZSl0wFxkF

Scotty and Sulu?

tomandshell
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Is it confirmed that Christopher Pike will be in this film?

The news article announcing the casting of Sulu and Scotty mentioned that the last remaining roles to be cast include McCoy, Christopher Pike, and Kirk's parents.

tomandshell
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
CONFIRMED: Eomer = Bones

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=38447

The Mike
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Huh.....so we have:

Chris Pine as Kirk
John Cho as Sulu
Simon Pegg as Scotty
Zoe Saldana as Uhura
Anton Yelchin as Chekov
Zachary Quinto as Spock
Eric Bana as Nero
Karl Urban as Bones

Other than Christopher Pike, who else needs to be casted?

darthviper107
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Karl Urban? What the hell is up with that? He completely doesn't fit the role!

CAhobbit
10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Other than Christopher Pike, who else needs to be casted?

Um, a lot of disposable red shirts?

I'm really looking forward to this film!!

screamingmetal
10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure about Karl Urban as Bones. He just does not fit the role all that well. The first bit of casting that I'm not liking, hopefully he'll prove my uncertainty wrong since Bones is a majorly important character.

KitFisto
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure about Karl Urban as Bones. He just does not fit the role all that well. The first bit of casting that I'm not liking, hopefully he'll prove my uncertainty wrong since Bones is a majorly important character.

Agreed. I can't see him in the role at all. I hope he proves us wrong though.

tomandshell
10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I like him as an actor, but he's not really the first person that came to mind when thinking about who should be cast in the role. I am also hoping that he will do OK but I wasn't expecting it.

I didn't imagine him as a Southerner, but then I just looked at IMDB and he will soon be appearing in the miniseries "Comanche Moon" which is a prequel to "Lonesome Dove," in which he will be starring alongside Steve Zahn in the role originally played by Tommy Lee Jones (Zahn will be playing a young Robert Duvall). So we will get a chance to see him try out a Southern accent in a prequel twice in the space of a year.

Fritz
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm not comfortable with the choice of Karl Urban in this role, it just doesn't do it for me. I think Karl Urban has done well in his other roles but I just don't think he fits this character.

McHavyck
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I'm just not sure I buy Eomer as Bones. We'll see...

Batty
11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Bruce Greenwood has signed on to play Christopher Pike.

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/08/movies/main3473959.shtml

The Mike
11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Hmmm....Tom Cruise, Matthew Fox, Josh Lucas, all of these people mentioned for Pike and they went with Greenwood? A little disappointed but its interesting that the cast is done and preliminary shooting should begin.

jedibear
11-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Can we just time travel to the future where the DVD of this is on the $7.00 budget rack next to "Lost in Space"?
I'm sorry...but from casting to the director (someone on another board nicknamed him ""Jar Jar Abrams") to the screenwriters...this just sounds like a big train wreck.

Memnoch
11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I dunno, this sounds like it's going to be REALLY good. Mostly unknown cast, but still have Nemoy. And it can't be ANY worse then the mess Nemesis was.

jungle jom
11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
The casting of the actors playing Kirk and Spock is spot on. As far as their appearences are concerned.

Reinhardt
11-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Winona Ryder has just been cast as Spock's mother

Ironman1188
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Winona Ryder has just been cast as Spock's mother

She stole that role. :rolleyes:

Darth Caedus
11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
How about this....

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/QuintoSpock3.jpg

Reinhardt
11-13-2007, 06:14 AM
just saw that yesterday. great pic indeed!!!

Darthrazz
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
How about this....

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/QuintoSpock3.jpg

Here's more pics!

http://www.jfxonline.com/jfxonline/2007/11/12/exclusive-quinto-as-young-spock/

jungle jom
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Perfect casting!

MaulFan
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
The casting of the actors playing Kirk and Spock is spot on. As far as their appearences are concerned.

Anyone have pictures of the actor that'll be playing young Kirk?

Reinhardt
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Anyone have pictures of the actor that'll be playing young Kirk?

here is a pic of him.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4717/Events/4717/ChrisPine_Cohen_8568982_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Pine,%20Chris%20(I)

jedibear
12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
...and here's a shot floating around the net proporting to be Abram's "Enterprise"....
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/2149838405_68b99435a4_o.jpg

It's a little retro in an interesting sort of way....but why am I getting a "galactica" vibe off this? Who's doing the effects for this new "Trek"?

Darklord Dave
12-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow, I like that a lot. Like Enterprise, they can't make it look like the '60s stuff, but this is just retro enough and incorporating the best of the movie A. I'm really looking forward to this - here's hoping JJ can pull it off.

jungle jom
12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh Boy!

I do like that shot of the Enterprise! It's got a retro feel to it yet futuristic. Sort of like the cars in the fifties with the big fins. Streamlined!

It will work for me as a precursor to the Enterprise of the original series.

Kabukiman
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
...and here's a shot floating around the net proporting to be Abram's "Enterprise"....

:drool :monkey5

I need a new pair of pants.

UTtoyfan
12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Enterprise looks great! Can't wait for Christmas 2008!:D

Memnoch
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Quite honestly I see them taking a cue from Star Trek:Enterprise in the design which I don't mind since this is more of a reboot. It has that look like this would be the next step in technology from the NX-1701. *sigh* I think if UPN wouldn't have killed Enterprise we could have had a nice, interesting lead in, but then again we might not be getting the new film had they not axed it.

McHavyck
12-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Tyler Perry as the commandant of Starfleet Academy?
I guess as long as he's not wearing a dress when he reams Kirk for the Kobiyashi Maru, I'll be okay with it.
:lol

UTtoyfan
12-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I guess as long as he's not wearing a dress when he reams Kirk for the Kobiyashi Maru, I'll be okay with it.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:lol:lol

Collector Freak
12-31-2007, 12:17 AM
They shouldn't change the enterprise at all. I don't understand why people want them to.

Darklord Dave
12-31-2007, 12:52 AM

I'm praying that's a joke. I'd hate to have to boycott this film!

piccolodaimaoh
12-31-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm praying that's a joke. I'd hate to have to boycott this film!

What's wrong with Tyler Perry? All of his movies are really funny.

Kabukiman
12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor-smashed/new-old-enterprise-is-not-the-real-mccoy-still-gives-star-trek-fans-stiffies-[updated]-330414.php

_

Darklord Dave
12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Tyler Perry is a horrible, horrible actor and he brings that cross-dressing baggage with him.

And it's too bad about the pic - hopefully the real one is even better.

tomandshell
12-31-2007, 03:04 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RTT0RN9XL._SS500_.jpg

I always swore I would never watch a movie with this guy in it. Now I will have to relent.

screamingmetal
12-31-2007, 03:11 PM
That Enterprise ship image was discredited back when AICN reported it. It's apparently been around the net for awhile. It's interesting and I like some of the design elements but it's a little too different then the first series starship. I think they should update everything else but the major elements of the Enterprise's exterior, it's just too nice a design to screw up.

And I also hope that Tyler Perry rumor is untrue, I didn't know who he was until I looked it up. "Oh, it's that unfunny cross dressing black guy" is not something I want associated with Trek.

tomandshell
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
The Star Trek trailer will hit Friday with Cloverfield.

Here is the Enterprise:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4122/enterprisegm7.png

screamingmetal
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
The Star Trek trailer will hit Friday with Cloverfield.

Here is the Enterprise:

Good to hear, I hope it makes it to the web shortly thereafter. That shot of the Enterprise looks great, even though I think I read somewhere that it was built in space and not on Earth which is where I think that shot places it. Not a big issue, I just hope the story, acting, and special effects are good enough.

Spartan Rex
01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Notice the top covering/sheathes on the nacelles,towards the front?
Those are on the "leaked" Enterprise model that was denied by Paramount and the F/X creator as being the new ship.
I believe that was the new design after all.

UTtoyfan
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=227&task=videodirectlink&id=529

The teaser is up at IESB.net!

tomandshell
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I only get the top left corner of the image when I go to that link to watch the trailer. Bummer...

RoboDad
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
And at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllSZW_YLk8

People with YouTube grabbers, get while you can. I probably won't last long.

tomandshell
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the YouTube link!! That one works for me.

I was hoping for some footage, but this is a nice teaser. It was nice to hear Nimoy!

Rogue Trooper
01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Even though it was not the greatest quality it cool to hear that voice.

Batty
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks good. I can't wait to see it tonight when I go to Cloverfield.

Memnoch
01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Saw this teaser last night and while it looked cool.. but where was the ship originally built? ON Earth, in Earth orbit or Utopia Planetia Shipyards? If this is a complete reboot, ignoring Star Trek:Enterprise ok, but I still don't know why you would build a space ship that big on Earth. :dunno

galactiboy
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks cool, I definitely liked hearing Nimoy... please oh please, I hope this doesn't suck!

RoboDad
01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Saw this teaser last night and while it looked cool.. but where was the ship originally built? ON Earth, in Earth orbit or Utopia Planetia Shipyards? If this is a complete reboot, ignoring Star Trek:Enterprise ok, but I still don't know why you would build a space ship that big on Earth. :dunno

This, in a general sense, is my biggest fear as well. There's no need or reason to jettison any of the established history of the Trek universe just because they "can". The original Enterprise was built in the San Francisco shipyard orbiting Earth. The Enterprise-D was built at the Utopia Planitia shipyard. None of the Enterprise ships were ever built ON Earth.

Buttmunch
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't see this when I went to Cloverfield today, so prepare to be disapointed. I'm no Treker though, so I could careless, but figured some of you might want to know it may not be attached to EVERY screening of Cloverfield.

Memnoch
01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I didn't see this when I went to Cloverfield today, so prepare to be disapointed. I'm no Treker though, so I could careless, but figured some of you might want to know it may not be attached to EVERY screening of Cloverfield.

That's odd because Im pretty sure it was actually attached to every print. :dunno

jungle jom
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I just saw the teaser trailer on youtube and I got chills... I love it when I get chills when seeing a trailer. The last time it happened was with "The Phantom Menace". I suppose the next time will be for the new Indy movie!

Batty
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I did see it before Cloverfield tonight. It was great to see on the big screen.

I think the Enterprise does look like the early photo we saw.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3286/enterpriseorbit800yf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TheObsoleteMan
01-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I just saw the teaser trailer on youtube and I got chills... I love it when I get chills when seeing a trailer. The last time it happened was with "The Phantom Menace". I suppose the next time will be for the new Indy movie!

I really haven't been keeping up with this movie, but when I saw the teaser before Cloverfield, I got a bit of the chills too. I guess it's time for me to start getting excited for this one.

galactiboy
01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I saw it before Cloverfield too... wish I hadn't seen it online first :monkey2 But still very cool, and Ironman looks insane :rock

Darklord Dave
01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
I got chills watching this teaser, but I kind of wished they hadn't gone the whole "history of space exploration" real audio clips. Smacked a bit too much of "Enterprise". But the ship looks cool and it's great hearing Nimoy, although he sounded kinda old. They should have figured out a way to have Shatner involved too - I'd rather hear him say it again.

I didn't get a real sense that the ship was being built terrestrially, but I might have missed something.

Memnoch
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I didn't get a real sense that the ship was being built terrestrially, but I might have missed something.

Well the fact they didn't have any space protection on sorta shows it wasn't built in space and as RoboDad said, San Francisco Ship Yards orbiting Earth was where she was built.

galactiboy
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I figured maybe they were inside of a huge dome in space working on it. But hard to say... I though the "under construction" was a funny thing to put in the trailer. Honestly as far as we know this could not even be part of the film, but just something fun they wanted to have for a trailer.

Batty
01-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I got chills watching this teaser, but I kind of wished they hadn't gone the whole "history of space exploration" real audio clips. Smacked a bit too much of "Enterprise". But the ship looks cool and it's great hearing Nimoy, although he sounded kinda old. They should have figured out a way to have Shatner involved too - I'd rather hear him say it again.

That's what I was thinking too. It was strange hearing Nemoy doing the opening instead of Shatner. And he did sound very old.

I didn't think it looked like it was being built terrestrially, but it was hard to tell. I didn't notice if they were wearing spacesuits. I was too busy looking at the ship.

galactiboy
01-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Hearing Nimoy reminded me of the end of Wrath of Kahn, which can only be a good thing.

Collector Freak
01-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Decent trailer. Can't wait for more! :chew

Wor-Gar
01-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Just got back from Cloverfield. This trailer -- teaser I mean -- rocked. I'm not a big Star Trek fan but it got me excited to see it "reimagined".

Entropy
01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Hearing Nimoy reminded me of the end of Wrath of Kahn, which can only be a good thing.

Exactly what I thought.

Personally I've never cared for Shatner except when he's making fun of himself or singing. Plus leaving him out of the film got him all flustered and ranting in the press which was fun for me to read. :monkey5

*possible spoiler*

Anyone read how this film is tied into The City On The Edge Of Forever episode, my personal favorite Star Trek ep? JJ Abrams rocks!

Memnoch
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Exactly what I thought.

Personally I've never cared for Shatner except when he's making fun of himself or singing. Plus leaving him out of the film got him all flustered and ranting in the press which was fun for me to read. :monkey5

*possible spoiler*

Anyone read how this film is tied into The City On The Edge Of Forever episode, my personal favorite Star Trek ep? JJ Abrams rocks!

Do tell! If you dont wanna spoil anything you can PM me the info. :monkey3

Entropy
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
PM sent Memnoch!

artistrex
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Before I begin I haven't read all the posts so if I cover something that has been said before please don't yell at me or throw broken medicom spidey pieces (sorry Lerath)
I'm on the fence with this one. I like the franchise and I don't really think it has been Justice lately. Voyager and Enterprise were awful, and Nemesis kinda dropped the ball.

The plot of the new movie appears to be that Eirc Bana, a Romulan named Nero, takes his team to the past and old Spock travels back too to stop him from mucking up things. Those of you who remember when Spock was on Next Gen he was working with the Romluans to reunify them with Vulcan.

Anyway they meet up with Pike about to court marshall Kirk for the whole Kobiashi Maru thing. I think this has potential. No it's not exactly the StarFleet adcademy movie they promised but it's an interessting take on how to continue the story.

Anyway, my Wife is a Trekkie, I'm not talking just a fan. My wife could tell you every Captain of the Enterprise, what kind of vessels they were, and tell you the specs and weapons, well you get the idea

She's furious because Pike is going to be way older than Kirk, apparently they went to Starfleet together, and that The Enterpriase is going to be in the movie when neither man had the ship at the time the movie is supposed to take place.

Star Trek's problem is that it has become a corporate whore. At Least Star Wars has Lucas at the helm at all times and no stupid studio monkey who thinks he can write can screw things up. Also I believe that Star Trek is great, it's iconic yada yada. IN my opinion it has always been on the verge of great storytelling but drops the ball at the last second. The Dominio War was thier best arc I think. But when I'm done watching the show it doesn't stay with me. StarWars has held my attention for years. I'm obsessed with it. Star Trek is kinda like " OKay that's cool" then the movie or show is over and i'm over it. I don't wait patiently for each new installment.

And Star Trek is way too politically correct. The Federation as a whole always has the uinverse's best interest at heart. We have abandoned all our hatred and bigotry. Babylon 5 was way more believable, Earth gets it's first victory in a war right after they begin exploring the universe and we think we are the end all be all of the galaxy. The during the Earth Civil war arc, the president nearly destroys the planet when his power is threatend. Star Trek never questions how Earthlings would truly react with so much power. Then again I'm a pesimist, that and I got a hug from Claudia Christian at dragoncon and she's still hot.

Anyway I'll give the new movie a shot, and continue to listen to my wife Yell and holler about how they have trashed her religion.

Kabukiman
01-20-2008, 03:12 PM

It was rumored, but has since been debunked. The Harlan Ellison owns all rights to the non-Trek characters. I believe he is suing Paramount already because of the use of Edith Keiler in some Trek-Lit and was furious when he heard the rumors about the movie. He looked into it and found out that none of his characters (which includes the Guardian) were going to be used in the new movie.

I got chills watching this teaser, but I kind of wished they hadn't gone the whole "history of space exploration" real audio clips. Smacked a bit too much of "Enterprise".

I loved how they did that in Enterprise, and I'm glad it made it to the new movie. Enterprise didn't have many endearing qualities, but the opening sequence (minus the music :monkey4 ) was definitely the best, imo.

Entropy
01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
It was rumored, but has since been debunked. The Harlan Ellison owns all rights to the non-Trek characters. I believe he is suing Paramount already because of the use of Edith Keiler in some Trek-Lit and was furious when he heard the rumors about the movie. He looked into it and found out that none of his characters (which includes the Guardian) were going to be used in the new movie.

Cool. I love Harlan. He's such a lovely, pissy, talented guy. It's always entertaining when he gets in a huff, which is often. I wonder how they'll tie it into the original show now?

Memnoch
01-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I loved how they did that in Enterprise, and I'm glad it made it to the new movie. Enterprise didn't have many endearing qualities, but the opening sequence (minus the music :monkey4 ) was definitely the best, imo.

Kabuki, if you liked Enterprise but hated the opening music check this out:

Enterprise Opening Redo - Youtube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpwv1ZipTL4)

I believe there is also one somewhere of the original opening with just new music.

Ok this is like the 10th time I edited one post but here is the original opening with a redone score, apparently Paramount Sanctioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5NG1u1evA&feature=related

Kabukiman
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the links, Memnoch. The first one was nice but didn't really do it for me. The second link brought a tear to my eye (I'm a bit of a wuss :lol ). Aside from timing issues at the very beginning and end, it's what the opening should have been.

I doubt it's "official" though because it's just the opening with the overture from Generations dubbed over it.

Has a composer been announced for the new Trek movie? If there's one thing that every Trek movie has not disappointed in, it's the music. Imo, the scores from all the Trek movies are great to listen to even if you did not enjoy the film. I think I'll go on record as saying the Trek movies provide the best scores in all of sci-fi.

Batty
01-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Enterprise. I thought it was really good by the last season.

Kabukiman
01-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought it was really good by the last season.

Evil alien Nazis aside, I agree. Manny Coto saved that show too late. :monkey2

Memnoch
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I liked Enterprise too.. and the last season really shone as being the most "Trek Like" but the finale was a cop out and just very bad. That being said though, I wouldn't mind if this new Star Trek is planned as a "reboot" if they mention Archer or something and at least give a nod to the "past".

Kabukiman
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh man, I forgot "These Are the Voyages..." :fart

Okay, so Evil Alien Nazis and "These Are the Voyages..." aside, season 4 was good.

For those of you that felt as raped as I did with the last episode, I really recommend "The Good that Men Do" by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin. It really does a great job of giving a proper reason for Trip's death.

Batty
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I liked Enterprise too.. and the last season really shone as being the most "Trek Like" but the finale was a cop out and just very bad. That being said though, I wouldn't mind if this new Star Trek is planned as a "reboot" if they mention Archer or something and at least give a nod to the "past".

I think a mention of Archer would be cool, but how many people would even know who he was? :D

And yeah, the last episode was a let down. They could have done so many other things to end the show.

Memnoch
01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I bet Zefram Cochrane is mentioned at least once and how many people going into this movie will really know who he is? Ask any Star Trek fan and, love or hate, they will probably know who Archer was. I think I even read that they are trying to keep a balance between nods for fans and excitement for new butts in the seats.

http://www.empireonline.com/video/startrekxi/

RoboDad
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
And in HD:

480p (http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/ST_TRL1_480p.mov)
720p (http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/ST_TRL1_720p.mov)
1080p (http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/ST_TRL1_1080p.mov)

Batty
01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the links. :duff

It does look like it's being built terrestrially. I guess it's kind of hard to miss the fact that they aren't wearing any type of spacesuits. :lol That and that they appear to be walking around normally and not in any type of weightlessness. I'm also guessing all the lights in the background are the SF shipyard.

IrishJedi
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Great trailer.

Too bad it's Star Trek, though. :monkey1

:monkey3

RoboDad
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Great trailer.

:nono

Mr. Chekov, lock phasers on target. Fire!

:D

Darklord Dave
01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Okay, I must be ignorant because I've never been able to get an HD trailer to play in real time. I have a fast cable modem and a decent computer, but even if I allow plenty of time for it to download, it always just shows stutter frames on play back. What's the secret to HD trailers on the internet?

Batty
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Okay, I must be ignorant because I've never been able to get an HD trailer to play in real time. I have a fast cable modem and a decent computer, but even if I allow plenty of time for it to download, it always just shows stutter frames on play back. What's the secret to HD trailers on the internet?

I just use Quicktime and it plays instantly. :dunno

It looks great in HD, btw.

Wor-Gar
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Great trailer.

:lol:rotfl

I kinda feel the same way. Maybe it will be cooler this time around.

RoboDad
01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I never try to stream them. I download them while doing other things (Free Download Manager rocks at that) and then just play them back with QuickTime later. And FWIW, even playing back locally, I've found that it can take a pretty powerful processor and graphics card to play 1080p smoothly. I usually go with 720p, and I have no problems.

Darklord Dave
01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
This hasn't been posted in this thread yet - part of the viral on Trek - supposedly live cam from the construction yard...

http://www.ncc-1701.com/

dr2red
01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=19937

Batty
02-13-2008, 07:38 PM
It's been pushed back to May 2009! :monkey2

http://www.variety.com/VR1117980912.html

tomandshell
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Ack! I was supposed to see it with my dad on Christmas Day!!!

:monkey2

Darklord Dave
02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
I wonder if Christmas is crowded? I can't imagine that it's that they can't finish it. I don't see any catalyst for this move at all.

RoboDad
02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
The only really big titles that I know of coming out around that time are Half Blood Prince, which will be a threat, but since it comes out at Thanksgiving, it wouldn't be a MAJOR threat by Christmas, and The Day the Earth Stood Still, which will either be huge, or a huge bomb.

Beyond those, the field is wide open in December (from my perspective as a Trekkie, at least).

tomandshell
02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
The studio apparently thinks it will make more money as a summer film. The last Trek film didn't do well during the holiday season, but they put it up against Bond, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. This year, the competition is less fierce and you would think that it would be a sure thing in December.

I'm not really liking the fact that we won't be seeing it for another 15 months now.

:google

Josette
02-14-2008, 05:39 AM
How disappointing.

Darklord Dave
02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
In May it's already up against Wolverine and Angels & Demons and who knows what else by the time it roles around. But I guess they have some confidence in it if they think it can be a summer tentpole.

Michael Crawford
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I bet this pisses off Playmates. I'm sure they were looking to hit the Christmas season hard with the toys.

screamingmetal
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
A bit disappointing but I'm okay with it. It is strange that they won't hit Christmas time with this since nothing else is coming out and would be the perfect time. I think they either may be a bit behind on the special effects or they don't want to compete with The Day the Earth Stood Still thinking that it's Scifi and don't want to compete with another Scifi film. :confused:

Sick Boy 82
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
This really sucks. I'm by no means a big Star Trek fan, but I swear to god I almost creamed myself when I say the trailer in Imax. So fraking awesome!!

JBElliott
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
The teaser was okay. But I wonder why they'd be welding things in the 23rd century. No one comes up with anything better between now and then?

Seems to me that if I had a transporter, 23rd century computer and a warp drive, I could beam starships into existence en masse.

darth dypshyt
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The studio apparently thinks it will make more money as a summer film. The last Trek film didn't do well during the holiday season, but they put it up against Bond, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. This year, the competition is less fierce and you would think that it would be a sure thing in December.

I'm not really liking the fact that we won't be seeing it for another 15 months now.

:google

Me too Tom.....But how do they know that it's STILL not going to go up against other BIG releases then??. I mean Summer in the US is when it all happens. I just hope it is worth the wait..

Darthrazz
02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
The teaser was okay. But I wonder why they'd be welding things in the 23rd century. No one comes up with anything better between now and then?

Seems to me that if I had a transporter, 23rd century computer and a warp drive, I could beam starships into existence en masse.

Hmmmm...so I guess that solder holds up at warp speeds????:confused:

Reinhardt
02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
sucks big time, but i atleast hope that the extra time will give JJ Abrams and crew a bit more time and not feel as rushed to have it complete.

Batty
07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I guess these will be the posters shown at SDCC. Quinto looks great as Spock.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9864/d21024ki1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1784/d31024or7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6223/d11024bp3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8459/d01024re9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dr2red
07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Can anyone get a poster for me at SDCC?
I will pay you for it plus shipping to Canada.

Pretty please:)

screamingmetal
07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I guess these will be the posters shown at SDCC. Quinto looks great as Spock.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9864/d21024ki1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

WOW!!
Zachary Quinto looks incredible as Spock!
Perfect casting.

I don't recognize the second one as Kirk however. Maybe I'll buy it more if I see him in uniform.

And that last one, is that Eric Bana?
I don't recognize him at all.
I really wished they had more to show at Comic Con.

Darklord Dave
07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
"Okay, Bill now look down and then back at me - you're sexy! now you're crazy! It's working!"

Definitely got a feel for the Kirk possessed by power mad alien or psychotic female look going.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1784/d31024or7.jpg

The Mike
07-18-2008, 11:59 PM
He's got that "I could bag anything this side of the galaxy" look. Kirk should have that kind of swagger especially at this age. While Spock has a definitive look, Kirk won't be sold until people see him in uniform and even then it'll take a bit to get used to for hardcore Trekkies.

EVILFACE
07-19-2008, 12:01 AM
New flick for sure looks better than anything after First Contat.

Spartan Rex
07-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Pine needs to have his brows lightened.

TheObsoleteMan
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
New flick for sure looks better than anything after First Contat.

High praise indeed. :lol

I agree it looks promising though. Some very nice casting.

JediMike71
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, Paramount will be handing out those posters at Comic-Con! Man I wish I could be there. There will be four posters total. Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and Eric Bana's bad guy Romulan....I forgot his name. Each poster will fit together to make one big "one-sheet" movie poster about 27" x 40". I'd love to get a set of those posters, I just won't make it to Comic-Con. Maybe I can them on eBay.

Zachary Quinto looks perfect as Spock. I just hope he nails it as well as Nimoy did in his classic portrayal. I'm not "sold" on Chris Pine as Capt. Kirk. I've only seen him in one or two romantic comedy movies. So he'll really have to sell me on his portrayal of Kirk.

I've been a HUGE Star Trek fan since first seeing reruns of the classic Star Trek as a kid in the 1970s. The original cast is still my favorite one to this day! I like the T.N.G. cast after the classic show's cast. So it's really important to me that J.J. Abrams really does this right. I hope he pays homage to the classic show, and puts his own magic into it just like he's got me to become a big fan of LOST since it began. :D

Reinhardt
07-23-2008, 06:55 AM
great posters!!! are there anymore???? McCoy? Sulu? Chekhov? Scotty?? I NEED my Star Trek fix and this tease wasn't enough!!

DarthNeil
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
great posters!!! are there anymore???? McCoy? Sulu? Chekhov? Scotty?? I NEED my Star Trek fix and this tease wasn't enough!!

A Simon Pegg Scotty would adorn my wall immediately.:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Reinhardt
07-23-2008, 07:00 AM
such perfect casting - simon pegg as Scotty... just brilliant!

so, how do i download these poster images?

DarthNeil
07-23-2008, 07:02 AM
such perfect casting - simon pegg as Scotty... just brilliant!

so, how do i download these poster images?

I remember hearing in an interview (I believe at AICN) that his wife is Scottish (from Glasgow I believe) so he had help from her family to perfect the accent.

JediMike71
07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi. To download the four new post images, go to www.startrekmovie.com. Then click on the "downloads" section. There you go! :D

Reinhardt
07-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi. To download the four new post images, go to www.startrekmovie.com. Then click on the "downloads" section. There you go! :D

thank you!!!

now, why didn't I think of that?!?

:)

JediMike71
07-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I have a friend over at the Comic Con 08 in San Diego right now. I would like to get the Spock poster, I told him. Paramount is handing out one "random" poster to Con atendees. So I'll see which one I get. :confused: If they're not gone by the time he gets to the Paramount booth.

DarthNeil
08-11-2008, 04:41 AM
I barely even recognized Pegg...

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/lv08/st09postpeggt.jpg
http://img.trekmovie.com/images/lv08/st09postyelchint.jpg
http://img.trekmovie.com/images/lv08/st09postchot.jpg
http://img.trekmovie.com/images/lv08/st09postkurbant.jpg

The four new Star Trek posters feature: Simon Pegg (Scotty), Anton Yelchin (Chekov), John Cho (Sulu), and Karl Urban (McCoy).

DarkArtist81
08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow, each one of those shots is so different for those actors... I wouldn't recognize them. Karl and Pegg especially... :google

Really great cast though, I am so excited to see what they do with this. :rock

Spartan Rex
08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Pegg needs a toupe for the role.

Darklord Dave
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Just saw Chris Pine in Bottleshock. He has the lead role in that and carried if off fairly well, despite playing a dirty '70s hippy.

I like the look of the posters too - retro yet hip.

DarkArtist81
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
The more I see, the more I am excited for the end results. I miss seeing GOOD Trek stories, here's hoping it's a return to great times and not a misstep.

DarthNeil
08-12-2008, 05:47 AM
The more I see, the more I am excited for the end results. I miss seeing GOOD Trek stories, here's hoping it's a return to great times and not a misstep.

MY only concern is the Romulan bad guy (Eric Bana) as they're never supposed to be seen until that fateful ST episode when they pop up on the viewscreen and look-- they look like Spock :horror. I hope they don't mess with what's already been laid out... but then there's that whole time travel part with Leonard Nimoy's Spock-- so who knows how it'll all work together. I'm really anxious for it as well...

Darklord Dave
08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
MY only concern is the Romulan bad guy (Eric Bana) as they're never supposed to be seen until that fateful ST episode when they pop up on the viewscreen and look-- they look like Spock :horror. I hope they don't mess with what's already been laid out... but then there's that whole time travel part with Leonard Nimoy's Spock-- so who knows how it'll all work together. I'm really anxious for it as well...

Not sure if this would be considered a spoiler since I'm not sure it's true...

I thought I'd heard that this is supposedly more of a alternate universe thing, so anything is possible.

Reinhardt
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
new pics look interesting... although they don't look as much like the original crew. they are just pics though, and don't mean anything until i see them in action.

i still can't get over how perfect Spock looks though.

and good point on the Romulan thing. i just saw that original episode the other day. forgot how brilliant it was.

DarthNeil
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Not sure if this would be considered a spoiler since I'm not sure it's true...

I thought I'd heard that this is supposedly more of a alternate universe thing, so anything is possible.

This would be interesting-- However they work it in I certainly hope we don't end with old Spock crushed under a metal walkway telling young Spock that it was ... (last breath) fun.

:lol I don't know why that's under a spoiler tag either.

Kabukiman
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
This would be interesting-- However they work it in I certainly hope we don't end with...

I loved that! imo, best death quote ever. I wish they would have left out the "Oh my" part though.

DarthNeil
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I loved that! imo, best death quote ever. I wish they would have left out the "Oh my" part though.

That was a bit much.:lol

screamingmetal
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Interesting, none of the new images really look like the OS actors. Pegg though comes pretty close.
Urbane doesn't look anything like DeForest Kelley, he'll have to really be on his A game to fill the shoes of Bones, the third most important character of the Original series.

RoboDad
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm less concerned with how much they look like the original actors. What concerns me is how well they can recreate the same personalities that the original actors brought to their characters. I don't want them touching that aspect of them. For instance, I don't want Spock to be dour and completely emotionless, the way so many other Vulcans have been portrayed. He needs to be able to balance that sardonic wit the way Nimoy did, or it will ruin the character. Likewise, Bones needs to have that laid-back "old country doctor" charm, or at least a laid-back "young country doctor" charm.

Fritz
08-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed! And Scotty had better love the engines and enjoy his Scotch! :lecture

RoboDad
08-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Agreed! And Scotty had better love the engines and enjoy his Scotch! :lecture

I think you mean, his bottle of very, very, very old Scotch... Whiskey! ;)

One thing that would be kind of cool to see is how Scotty first earns his reputation as a miracle worker in engineering.

Batty
09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Here's a video of Shatner talking about Abrams and the new movie.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzOs4WEutQ8&border=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzOs4WEutQ8&border=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/09/shatner-abrams.html

Sachiel
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Dinosaur Kirk!

Rugby1970
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Just saw the newest photos from Entertainment Weekly. Curious what everyone thinks. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and am actually a big JJ fan. But nothing about this project is getting me excited. The overwhelming feeling I get from these images is people playing dress up.

I really hope this film can connect with the themes that made Star Trek such a successful series.

Part of me would have been happier with a completely new crew and cast. It is so difficult to recapture the chemistry of the original crew.

I hope it is a success but I can't help but feel like it will be a retread.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/15/star-trek-reveals-galore-kirk-spock-nero-full-cast-and-more/

Memnoch
10-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Actually going by those pictures I really like it, and the style looks in line with the reinvention they started with Enterprise. New uniforms look interesting, Im anxious to see how this turns out.

CelticPredator
10-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Even though I hate Star Trek...the pics look really cool....so I'll wait for a trailer then....

plasmid303
10-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Great looking cast, although I can't look at Spock without seeing Sylar, especially in this photo:

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/startrek-EWcover-FL-Oct-02.jpg

Sachiel
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Story and trailer info.

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/10/16/star-trek-photos-story-and-trailer-info-finally-arrive/

Darklord Dave
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
The pictures make me excited - the uniforms are classic with some contemporizing and the crew looks fantastic! I just worry that they'll all be doing impressions of the original actors - I'd hate to see that.

Michael Crawford
10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
In that first photo of the majority of the crew, I think Urban as McCoy is the most recognizable as his character. It's funny, because I thought he made bad choice when I first heard it, but he has the eyes down, and I'd recognize that as a young McCoy immediately. Some of the others...eh, they work, and it's not that big of a deal, but I don't know that the match is that great. I'm betting that some of them will work much better once we actually see them acting, and not just in stills.

And I don't want them to do impressions of the actors either, but they better be doing the characters. Scotty better seem like Scotty, for example.

Sachiel
10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html

Kabukiman
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
"In a world where a movie as incredibly produced as The Dark Knight is raking in gazillions of dollars, Star Trek stands in stark contrast,It was important to me that optimism be cool again."

Thank you! I was a bit worried that they'd try to go Battlestar Galactica on it and make it dark.

Star Trek, like Superman, should never be "dark."

pixletwin
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
This is the most I have been excited about Star Trek since the SNG finale on TV. :lol

plasmid303
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Damn movie was supposed to be out this winter! :monkey4

Cryoguns
10-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Great looking cast, although I can't look at Spock without seeing Sylar, especially in this photo:

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/startrek-EWcover-FL-Oct-02.jpg

Wow! That just gives a whole new light to the TOS episode "Spock's Brain" :lol

Reinhardt
10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
LOVE the new uniforms. Spock, Uhura and McCoy look outstanding. Can't tell about the others until I see them in action. Doesn't really matter if they don't look the part though. As long as they get the character right, i'll be happy.

Bridge looks pretty high tech! we'll see how that works. Interesting how they have Uhura standing at her station.

Can't wait for this to come out. One of my most anticipated movies.

DarkArtist81
10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
This is the most I have been excited about Star Trek since the SNG finale on TV. :lol

Same here.... I'm liking what I see so far. Urban looks like he is channeling McCoy in that crew shot. Can't wait to see the trailer. :rock

JediMike71
10-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you! I was a bit worried that they'd try to go Battlestar Galactica on it and make it dark.

Star Trek, like Superman, should never be "dark."

I agree! Star Trek has had it's darker moments like in the past few movies like "First Contact" and "Nemesis". But I loved those movies too. I'm still a life-long Star Trek fan. Well, at least since I was 5 years-old in 1976 and fell in love with the re-runs of the original series on T.V. It was the very first T.V. show I remember watching. The original crew is still my favorite, with the TNG crew coming in a close second place. I've stuck with it over the years through the good and bad. I'm really excited about the new movie. I liked the pictures I saw today from Entertainment Weekly. I also think that Simon Pegg ("Shaun Of The Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") looks great as Scotty. Sure I'd like to see these new actors make the characters their own, but also pay some respect or homage to the original actors. I don't mean doing impressions of them, just some nice "nods" to their performances. I don't understand why Captain Kirk is in a black shirt, instead of his traditional gold/yellow shirt like Chekov and Sulu. :confused: But, J.J. Abrams said that'll be explained in the movie.

I'll be there on opening day for sure next summer! I just hope it is well-written, and acted, and will really pay off for us fans hoping for a GOOD reboot of Star Trek.

I am and always will be...a "TREKKER"! :D

On a side note about Superman. I read online today that Brandon Routh is STILL in as the choice for Clark Kent and Superman, and they're working on a new "reboot" movie to come out sometime in 2011 I think.

Sabres21768
10-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Here's a good shot of the bridge...

http://www.mcfergesondvd.com/startrek3.jpg

TheObsoleteMan
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
They kept the mini skirts. Cool.

Karl Urban was inspired casting for Bones.

JediMike71
10-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I really like Karl Urban. I'm sure he'll capture "Bones" just fine. I still wanna see Kirk in his yellow shirt. :confused:

Spartan Rex
10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I wish they'd have given Pine a shorter hair style to better match Shatners look in the 1st season.
Anyone else think Urban looks like Gary Mitchell from "Where no man.." Kirks best friend who gained godlike powers?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8871/ewkirk1ui7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9141/ewmccoyml7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6062/ewsnero1me9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/8338/ewspock1nt5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1219/ewsuluto9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Darklord Dave
10-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Looks like they're either going with extreme makeup or will CG Spock to make him look more alien. And I wished they'd have done something with Kal's hair to make him look more like Takei - all I can see now is Harold on the way to White Castle.

Batty
10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Quinto looks great.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/847/exclusivequintobigre2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Spartan Rex
10-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I think they blew it with Quintos makeup.
Nimoy had makeup going from his upper eye lid going towards his brow.
It was subtle but him look a little more alien.
Also,having green blood wouldnt make his skin look so human in hue (even though he is half human)

Kabukiman
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Looks like they're either going with extreme makeup or will CG Spock to make him look more alien. And I wished they'd have done something with Kal's hair to make him look more like Takei - all I can see now is Harold on the way to White Castle.

No Kal Penn in Star Trek. I only see John Choe, played Harold. :lecture

Sick Boy 82
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Eric Bana, what character/species does he play? Looks like a pissed off Vulcan?

Matt S
10-17-2008, 06:34 PM
These pics have me pretty excited. Very different - yet similar at the same time

Karl Urban was a great choice for Bones

Darklord Dave
10-17-2008, 09:57 PM
No Kal Penn in Star Trek. I only see John Choe, played Harold. :lecture

Whatever - still looks too much like the dumb guy from the dumb movie rather than Sulu.

Reinhardt
10-18-2008, 08:25 AM
can't wait for this. despite that some of them look very different from the original characters, as long as they capture the character itself in their acting, i'm good.

NASEDO
10-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I just read the new EW mag with the Star trek pics, I thought Spock & Kirk were actors for some MTV OC type of show. Kirk is too much of a pretty boy. Spock isn't as "rea"l as Nimoy was. They look too "gay", (sorry in advance) and too young. I'm not a trekkie, but can't wait for the old movies on Blu Ray. As far as this movie, pass. Plus JJ Abrams was behind Cloverfield which was the worst movie I ever seen.

CelticPredator
10-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Then you seriously need to watch more movies.

The Ween
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I just read the new EW mag with the Star trek pics, I thought Spock & Kirk were actors for some MTV OC type of show. Kirk is too much of a pretty boy. Spock isn't as "rea"l as Nimoy was. They look too "gay", (sorry in advance) and too young. I'm not a trekkie, but can't wait for the old movies on Blu Ray. As far as this movie, pass. Plus JJ Abrams was behind Cloverfield which was the worst movie I ever seen.

Kirk was supposed to be a "pretty boy", though William Shatner was more handsome than pretty. As for the ages, they are actually just alittle younger, which is okay. The casting is pretty good for this movie, at least what I've seen, though the part of Sulu could'be been better. I'll give it a chance though. I don't think they'll be any true ST fan that won't see this.

The only thing so far that I don't like at all is the women wearing the skirts. I don't think they're practical at all.

I loved Cloverfield except for the ending, but since there's going to be a sequel, then I understand why it ended the way it did.

Darth Caedus
10-18-2008, 06:50 PM
It's weird, I didn't even recognize Karl Urban as Bones, he looks great. I will agree that Harold is not Sulu, their first stop with the Enterprise will be to grab some yummy white castle burgers.

And the bridge looks awesome.

JediMike71
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Why do you think "Harold" (actor John Cho) is a bad choice for Sulu? None of us have even seen the movie yet. I have seen him in other more dramatic roles. I think he did fine. I think he will do fine as Hikaru Sulu. I'm not going to judge any of their acting...before the movie has not even been released.

Darklord Dave
10-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Why do you think "Harold" (actor John Cho) is a bad choice for Sulu? None of us have even seen the movie yet. I have seen him in other more dramatic roles. I think he did fine. I think he will do fine as Hikaru Sulu. I'm not going to judge any of their acting...before the movie has not even been released.

It's just the baggage of Harold that he brings to the role. Quinto has the same problem as would any actor known for a specific role, although it's not as bad because at least Sylar is a serious character. I look at stills of Cho and I see Harold, not Sulu. However looking at stills of Urban I can definitely see McCoy, rather than any of the other roles Urban has played.

JediMike71
10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree Dave that certain actors will always be typcasted, and carry the "baggage" of their previous roles they're most well-known for. But all I am saying is not to automatically assume that John Cho is going to suck playing Sulu. Since they movie has not been released. I guess everyone expected Kal Penn ("Kumar") would act stoned in "Superman Returns" as one of Lex Luthor's henchmen. They cut the one line he had anyway, so he didn't even get to speak a word in the movie at all.

Karl Urban is defnitely capturing the essence of a young DeForrest Kelley as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy, just from the pictures I've seen. I'm still VERY excited about the movie.

NASEDO
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I think Urban looks good, plus he was Eomer so he's the man. Eric Bana's should do good, he's a good actor. He played a great Hector in Troy. What I hate about Kirk is he reminds me of Lana'a 1st boyfriend in Smallville, the jock. It sure was great when he got killed.

tomandshell
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
It's just the baggage of Harold that he brings to the role. Quinto has the same problem as would any actor known for a specific role, although it's not as bad because at least Sylar is a serious character. I look at stills of Cho and I see Harold, not Sulu.

I'm going to have the same issues when Tyler Perry appears on the screen in the new Trek.

http://www.bossip.com/wp-content/uploads/madea.jpg

Darklord Dave
10-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm going to have the same issues when Tyler Perry appears on the screen in the new Trek.

http://www.bossip.com/wp-content/uploads/madea.jpg

Thanks Tom, I'd forgotten about that bit of tragic casting. :horror

screamingmetal
10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
It's weird, I didn't even recognize Karl Urban as Bones, he looks great. I will agree that Harold is not Sulu, their first stop with the Enterprise will be to grab some yummy white castle burgers.

And the bridge looks awesome.

Same here, but I was wondering who the Indian guy in the blue shirt was in the "crew shot" when I first saw it. :lol
I see Bones a little in Urban especially in the "bridge shot", but the key to the character is accent and attitude which I have yet to see.
I love the retro uniforms, but the updating of the tech in that Bridge shot is a bit jarring. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Eric Bana, what character/species does he play? Looks like a pissed off Vulcan?
That's a Romulan, a genetic off shoot of the Vulcans.

Spartan Rex
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2255/empire234gw4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7890/trekvh4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/403/trek1qx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6927/spockfm5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9656/30309ac8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

darthviper107
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
This is looking pretty good.

I hope they make sure not to make it too advanced (the main problem with Enterprise).

But it looks like they're doing great with the characters, Spock looks kind of like plastic and I think that's good to connect it to the classic series.

Sachiel
10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Too advanced? Compared to the original.

It's a problem when what we have now is more advanced than the Trek future.

Looks like they did a great job not going that route.

Batty
11-10-2008, 11:07 PM
The teaser posters-

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2959/kirkcharacterposter1ba0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1985/spockcharacterposterrj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Spartan Rex
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Here ya go the first official release pict of the big "E".......
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4244/enterprise579lrn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sachiel
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
That looks really nice.

Looks like it will take the place of the Enterprise E as my favorite.

Darklord Dave
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Here ya go the first official release pict of the big "E".......
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4244/enterprise579lrn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

me likey.
:chew

JediMike71
11-12-2008, 12:14 AM
The new teaser posters for Kirk and Spock look great. Interesting choice to print them black and white instead of color. I want to get them.

I like the look of the new Enterprise. It's a little bit of the retrofit Enterprise from The Motion Picture, and the original series Enterprise, mixed together. Hopefully Art Asylum will make one about 14" long like their previous ships. I'll buy it! :D

Reinhardt
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
New ship looks great!!!!!

Kabukiman
11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Classic, yet modern. Looks good to me!

Memnoch
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I love it, and it does have a very science-vessel feel to it. I think it's the white/blue scheme.

NASEDO
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
After watching dumb & dumber 2 spock will never be the same to me.
http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/nmedia/18/35/10/41/p1.jpg

Sachiel
11-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Here's an article about some footage that was shown.

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=313

Got to see the trailer with QoS.

It was funny, because when it started I was like "wtf is this? looks interesting..." and was just about to say to my bro, "I hope they show the Star Trek trailer", and then Kirk! WTF?!

It went by fast, but it has a very different feel and the effects are great.

Can't wait for the trailer to hit the net so I can scrutinize it. :D

Don't like the Enterprise being built on Earth. It just doesn't look right there and probably is more practical to build it in space.

I hope the movie turns out great and does well to continue on.

Didn't show the T4 trailer, though. But I got to see it at SDCC so it's all good. :D

Krypto
11-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Saw the trailer last night in front of Bond and in general...it looks like any other Abrams project, which is to say it's very shaky and out of focus in relation to the photography and it looks like it's trying to hard to be hip and modern, attempting to catch the attention of teens with bright colors, sex, and violence. I don't know, I'm just not sure. I'll see it for sure, but this trailer looked a little too MTV for my taste. The makeup and effects looked great. Those few spaceship battle shots looked very much like Revenge of the Sith...and that ain't a bad thing. ;)

screamingmetal
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm unsure what to think of the new Enterprise look. It appears they took the refit Enterprise from the Motion Picture and WOK, changed the nacelles and squashed the length of the ship. That means they skipped the tech from the Original Series.
I'll have to see more of it to know whether I like the new look.

Michael Crawford
11-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Saw the trailer last night in front of Bond and in general...it looks like any other Abrams project, which is to say it's very shaky and out of focus in relation to the photography and it looks like it's trying to hard to be hip and modern, attempting to catch the attention of teens with bright colors, sex, and violence. I don't know, I'm just not sure. I'll see it for sure, but this trailer looked a little too MTV for my taste. The makeup and effects looked great. Those few spaceship battle shots looked very much like Revenge of the Sith...and that ain't a bad thing. ;)

Well, let's hope there's plenty of sex and violence - we want it to be as close to the original as possible!

JediMike71
11-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I saw the trailer in front of the midnight showing of Quantum Of Solace (another excellent Bond film from Daniel Craig...by the way! :D). It looked great to me. I wish they'd kept the body design or look of the original Enterprise though. I know about "updating the tech" and all that. But this new Enterprise looks like a mixture of different ships all in one. I've got mixed feelings about it. I kinda like it, then I kinda...don't like it. It'll have to grow on me for sure. The action in the trailer was great. I like what I'm seeing so far from the movie. I can't wait to see it next summer! :D

DarthNeil
11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone know if the trailer's on-line?... Saw Quantum of Solace tonight and the *&%$*$% Star Trek trailer wasn't shown.:monkey4:banghead

Batty
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Nothing official online yet, but here it is on youtube. It looks great! Kirk likes his antiques. :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0WNPb8R-40&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0WNPb8R-40&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

darthviper107
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Here's a youtube cam version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WNPb8R-40

Looks really cool, can't wait to see the HD version.

JediMike71
11-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Ummm...okay. :confused: I'm feeling it allright. I'll be there opening day next May! :D

Sachiel
11-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Ummm...okay. :confused: I'm feeling it allright. I'll be there opening day next May! :D

I think I will, too.

:borg

DarthNeil
11-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Nothing official online yet, but here it is on youtube. It looks great! Kirk likes his antiques. :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0WNPb8R-40&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0WNPb8R-40&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Awesome thanks.

Darklord Dave
11-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Dammit - no Trek and no Watchmen on QoS. Don't these theater know they're screwing with us at their own peril?

CelticPredator
11-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow....that looks better then anything Star Trek related...ever.

jedibear
11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
It's going to be interesting watching the hype and reactions to this as May of next year approaches. Nothing against those who are digging it, but this was one of the most groan-inducing trailers I've seen in a while. It just looks like the studio threw a bunch of money at Abrahms and said "Make it relevant for that "tween" audience...and don't worry about the older fans, they'll always have the umpteenth release of the original shows on Blu-Ray to keep 'em happy"

I've nothing against the current trend of "re-imagining" old familiar entertaiment franchises...we've seen some grand successes with them like "Battlestar Galactica" on the small screen and "Batman" and James Bond on the big screen.

But this trailer makes this particular re-do effort look more like that godawful "Lost in Space" from a few years back...lots of flash and a big name cast and a really awful movie.

Who knows...maybe next May I'll be really off the mark and this could be good. But this trailer ain't too convincing so far...

CelticPredator
11-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Aside from Pegg, The LOTR/Riddick/Doom guy, and Harold, I have no clue who any of the cast are.

darthviper107
11-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Well, Spock is being played by Zachary Quinto who played Sylar on Heroes

And other than the ones you mentioned I don't know the other people.

MooMooEgg
11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Aside from Pegg, The LOTR/Riddick/Doom guy, and Harold, I have no clue who any of the cast are.

haha... Spock is Sylar from Heroes, Kirk was in the Princess Diaries 2, and Uhura was in Pirates of the Carribbean.

CelticPredator
11-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Dont watch Heroes...or Princesses...I do watch Pirates however....

Darth Caedus
11-16-2008, 03:09 AM
And Nero at the end is Eric Bana (been in plenty of stuff)

Krypto
11-16-2008, 05:27 AM
It just looks like the studio threw a bunch of money at Abrahms and said "Make it relevant for that "tween" audience.

Indeed, I had the same feeling. Although I hope it's better than Lost in Space. I wouldn't wish that on Star Trek. Not one bit.

Darth Snoopy
11-16-2008, 08:30 AM

I like what I see so far. I'll be in line in May!

DinoLast
11-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Shame they didn't do a prequel to The Wrath of Khan. Yes I know he is in one episode of the classic show but it could have been redone on a grander scale.
Wrath of Khan can be viewed as a standalone film and is still one of the greatest sci-fi pictures ever made.
New Kirk looks a bit high school the musical for me.

Kabukiman
11-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Shame they didn't do a prequel to The Wrath of Khan.

Khan is such a great character! You should check out the Eugenics Wars books which chronicle Khan's rise and fall on Earth, and then "To Reign In Hell" which covers the time between the episode "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan."

Darklord Dave
11-16-2008, 11:43 AM
The opening with the car is a bit much, but I'm liking everything else. A re-imagined origin story can work, and I'm liking the look - but it will come down to the script.

Spartan Rex
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I believe he's purposely destroying his abusive step fathers car in that scene.

CAhobbit
11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
The opening with the car is a bit much, but I'm liking everything else. A re-imagined origin story can work, and I'm liking the look - but it will come down to the script.

All my thoughts exactly! I have no issues with a re-boot (of sorts) but if the script is bad then it will be an epic fail.

CelticPredator
11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Also....I thought his name was James. T Kirk...unless I heard wrong, sounds like he said "Sibirious" or something....

Kabukiman
11-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Also....I thought his name was James. T Kirk...unless I heard wrong, sounds like he said "Sibirious" or something....

:lecture The 'T' stands for Tiberius.

CelticPredator
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Thats what I thought. Sounded like Sibirous in the camed trailer.