Your latest comic book or novel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just letting anyone know who doesn't really check out the FS section. I am getting rid of most of my comic books check it out maybe we can work something out!

Just finished Walking Dead 109 and Superior Spider-Man 7 and 8.

DSCN0718_zps98865849.jpg

LOVED the court of owls story. Collected all the single issues but have been really tempted to pick up the hardcovers. Just holding out hoping they release a big single collection, maybe an absolute edition.

Yeah some one posted that absolutr batman and robin, looked great. Really wanna pick that up too. I never read the whole batman rip thing though so kinda wanna start there with batman and son and work my way up to batman and robin.

Me neither. Not sure, but the Absolute edition will have the entire Morrison run? Or, do I have to read something else before or after.

They are saying such things about the Absolute Blackest Night, that it does not have GL 43-52, without which the Absolute edition will not make sense.

Completely new to comics here... thinking about buying some digital ones from DC and Marvel. Any must read recommendations? I wish there was a site with comic reviews for beginners/newbies.

both marvel and dc recently relaunched everything so now is a good time to start. for dc I recommend batman, justice league, green lantern, aquaman. for marvel I would say superior spiderman, all new xmen, thor, daredevil, hawkeye, nova, guardians of the galaxy. it really depends on your taste though to recommend a solid one. do you like space, comedy, dark, serious. It's there anything that you have read or a movie to compare to the style you are looking for?

Haha, I'm not sure since I've never read them. But I really enjoy intelligent writing, intrigue, and beautiful artwork. That said... How long does it take to finish a story arc? Am I going to have to keep waiting several more weeks for the next issue kinda deal?

Haha, I'm not sure since I've never read them. But I really enjoy intelligent writing, intrigue, and beautiful artwork. That said... How long does it take to finish a story arc? Am I going to have to keep waiting several more weeks for the next issue kinda deal?

That's becoming the norm rather than the exception. Most of the X-Books keep you hanging at the end and it helps if you pick up other X-Books to fill the gap.

Superior Spider-Man is a good place to start. You can find 2nd printing of issue #1 pretty easy and pick up the following issues with a little bit of work. There is an overall story arc, but most of the issues have a self-contained story that lasts one or two issues.

Right now I have the following books on my pull-list:
Superior Spider-Man
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Star Wars (Ongoing)

As for what I am reading now, Star Wars: Coruscant Nights I - Jedi Twilight.

If you buy in trade paperback form, you will pretty much get a full arc in 1 book. I dont like to wait so I buy the issues, they are also more collectible. Arc lengths vary, but the average is about 6-8 issues. Most Marvel NOW books are bi-weekly such as superior spiderman, all new xmen, uncanny xmen, avengers, and more. Some are monthly like thor, hulk, daredevil, and more. All DC books are monthly as far as I know, same goes for Image. You will spend more money per month on Marvel subscriptions than DC. Personally I think DC has better quality art and writing overall, but some Marvel titles that are bi-weekly are still holding pretty strong like Sup Spidey and All New XMen. In my opinion, I think alot of Marvel writers are so pressured to pump out issues so fast that the quality just isnt there or it leaves for a bumpy road of constant uphill and downhill quality. DC either gradually goes up or down in a smoother fashion. Personally, I would also not go digital, buying actual issues is fun to collect, they are more re-sellable, and you can see the art quality much better. Also, almost all Marvel NOW books priced 3.99 come with digital codes, so you will pay the same price for the issue on digital when you can buy on paper and get a free digital code. You can keep the code and sell the book or keep the book and sell the code..... just my thoughts on it.

Completely new to comics here... thinking about buying some digital ones from DC and Marvel. Any must read recommendations? I wish there was a site with comic reviews for beginners/newbies.

I'm fairly new to comics too. Here's a link to a Comic Book Resources Forum thread that was REALLY helpful (extremely detailed, easy to follow guide) for me when I wanted to get into Batman books:

https://forums.comicbookresources.c...rs-Current-Ttles-Top-Trades-and-Recent-Events

Favorite Batman related books so far: Batman Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Court of Owls, City of Owls, JLA Tower of Babel, The Black Mirror

Favorite non-Batman book so far: American Vampire vol. 1 - 3.

For me, the best resource for getting into comics/graphic novels, by far, has been...wait for it...the public library! I had no idea they carried graphic novels...and they actually carry quite a few, even most of the new 52 titles! So I bought a library card and went to town on that section of the library. I remember reading a few graphic novels and afterwards thought "Boy am I glad I didn't buy that..." So check out a library close to you and see what they have! Enjoy!

For me, the best resource for getting into comics/graphic novels, by far, has been...wait for it...the public library! I had no idea they carried graphic novels...and they actually carry quite a few, even most of the new 52 titles! So I bought a library card and went to town on that section of the library. I remember reading a few graphic novels and afterwards thought "Boy am I glad I didn't buy that..." So check out a library close to you and see what they have! Enjoy!

I guess I'll be going to local public library more often. Thanks for the tip.

Honestly if you are looking for this get into reading creator owned comics. Not saying Marvel and DC are bad, because I don't think they are, but Creator owned allows for a creator to do anything they want. If you want a good super hero comic check out Invincible. Hands down the best superhero comic. You should also try saga, Y The Last Man, The Walking Dead, Green Wake, Morning Glories the list goes on. If you are strictly looking for Marvel or DC I would go with Batman by Snyder and then Superior Spiderman for marvel both great books. Also you could try Ultimate Spiderman. Alot of people hate on it because it isn't part of the "real" marvel universe but It is my favorite book from Marvel.

Back