Your first NIGHTMARE! Which horror film started it all?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dad took me to see salems lot when i was 4, that was my 1st horror movie and it scared the crap outta me. i rewatched it again when i was about 17 or 18 and it wasnt scarry at all........who takes a 4 year old to a horror movie?? :lol

There was a movie too, i just saw that there was also a tv series but i dont know which came first.

cool.. Thanks!

Of course they all seem silly now,

~ 12 The Evil Dead (first gore feast, tree rape, ace of spades, bridge out, KANDAR, and basements.)
The-Evil-Dead.png

Funny how some say movies never frightened them....I guess they would be the ones kicking the terrorist ass while everyone else runs away...

These days some books/ films actually bother me more.

THE ROAD by Cormac Mccarthy, my wife bought for my on release, thought it sounded like my kind of book, read on vacation in the isolated mountains, and it ruined my whole trip. Having a young son at he time made it much worse. Kind of like THE Mist.....

Funny how some say movies never frightened them....I guess they would be the ones kicking the terrorist ass while everyone else runs away...

No because fighting a terrorist would be a real life situation. Movies are fiction. How do you not get that?

No because fighting a terrorist would be a real life situation. Movies are fiction. How do you not get that?

I don't get it because for me, I get wrapped up in the story. There are plenty of movies about real life events as well. How do you explain not being emotionally affected by those?

I don't get it because for me, I get wrapped up in the story. There are plenty of movies about real life events as well. How do you explain not being emotionally affected by those?

Because i'm just observing the movie i'm not actually experiencing the events.

I didn't say i don't get emotionally affected by movies. I just said i don't get scared.

Last edited:
Ummm... I don't get it.

I was just saying i'm not actually living through the events that are happening in the movie. I know its fake even if it's based on real events so how the **** would it make me fear for my life?

I saw "Phenomina" (a 1985 horror flick starring a young Jennifer Connelly) in 1996 when I was 9 years old. I couldn't sleep normally for months, and I always felt the killer was lurking around the corner of my bedroom...

YouTube happens to have the full movie! :lol

Dude!!! I'm not really even a horror fan, but THIS is one of my all time favourite movies. I only found out about it a few years ago too. The mutant kid & the chimp, very macabre. :lol Great soundtrack too. I love Donald Pleasance & Jennifer in this.

As far as something that left a mark on me growing up - not whole movies (too young to watch of course) but venturing into a video rental place one time.. & seeing the cover for 'Demons' - another Dario Argento movie. That cover is still vividly burned into my memory. :lol

I also remember seeing an Ad on TV for some kind of dark Frankenstein film when I was REAL young, & that scared the **** out of me. He throws someone down some stairs & lumbers down toward them - it might've even been the original Boris Karloff film.

Definitely Robocop as others have mentioned too - although I was around 12 or 13 by then. That Murphy death scene is as brutal NOW as it was then.

I would hate to see a movie with you.

Lol...

Sounds like a defense mechanism learned as a child.

"Its not real, its not real its not real"

I get really drawn into films, but I Also understand they are not real....I am not delusional. I just wonder how one could enjoy a film that way.

But I know a few guys that will not watch a Disney movie cause its for kids......

Lol...

Sounds like a defense mechanism learned as a child.

"Its not real, its not real its not real"

I get really drawn into films, but I Also understand they are not real....I am not delusional. I just wonder how one could enjoy a film that way.

But I know a few guys that will not watch a Disney movie cause its for kids......

Exactly. I have seen some movies where they truly had me ready to cry, so just because I character I like or a situation hits me hard, and knowing it isn't real; I'm wrong to feel something?

It's called characterization or good writing. It's entertainment. You'll get scared, or get sad, or be happy.

People relate the same way with comics, music, books, and video games.

Exactly. I have seen some movies where they truly had me ready to cry, so just because I character I like or a situation hits me hard, and knowing it isn't real; I'm wrong to feel something?

It's called characterization or good writing. It's entertainment. You'll get scared, or get sad, or be happy.

People relate the same way with comics, music, books, and video games.

I never said i don't get emotional during movies. I just said i don't get scared for my own life while watching movies.
That is so stupid.

tumblr_mo77uy4xPB1qav174o1_500.jpg

I know the movie is campy B-Grade horror at it's finest, but that's what made the ending so much more unexpected (paired with the credits song) the whole thing was a nightmare.

I never said i don't get emotional during movies. I just said i don't get scared for my own life while watching movies.
That is so stupid.

I do not think the point of this thread was piss your pants hide under the bed with a shotgun scared.

I was mostly referring to childhood trauma from an early horror film experience.

Back