Your first NIGHTMARE! Which horror film started it all?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember watching this one on The Disney Channel, scared the hejeebeez outta me!

TEsTDNQ.jpg

The only monster to have ever followed me into my dreams is the werewolf. I fought it many nights when I was a kid until it finally left me alone. Although, I did not initially encounter it in the movies, but rather in horror magazines and books depicting "actual" historical werewolf encounters. Some creepy, super vague illustrations from the 1800's and my imagination did the rest. Then along came "An American Werewolf In London"...

5914349-cho197411.jpg

Dead of Night 1945, Michael Redgrave and the ventriloquist dummy, see it and let me know your thoughts. I only dream while awake.

1. Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
2. Then either Watcher in the Woods (a Disney flick but the first half of that movie scared the living **** out of me) or Halloween (1978)

I think I saw the kid floating to the window in Salem's Lot in a freaking commercial and that alone gave me nightmares for years, lol.

Dead of Night 1945, Michael Redgrave and the ventriloquist dummy, see it and let me know your thoughts. I only dream while awake.

HA HA I see that and raise you 1964s? "Devil Doll." First saw this as a MST3K episode but I will say, despite the shambolic 1960s special effects this is pretty damn creepy. Do not piss off Hugo the ventriloquist's dummy! Treat him with great respect. If he asks for wine give him some. He cannot drink it, but be polite anyways.

Attachments

• 51W+JP81HHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    51W+JP81HHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
Hmmm I remember being afraid of scream for a short period of time. Of course arachnophobia to this day.

Arachnophobia was so OTT that it almost didnt bother me.

I remember one of the cast being interviewed shortly after release. I cant remember what the main spider's name was, but he did indeed have a real-life name. We'll call him Larry.

Interviewer: So..... How many Larrys did you guys go through during filming? I bet you went through a bunch, huh?

Interviewee: No, just the one Larry. One Larry was enough, trust me. Larry is real-life nightmare fuel.

Interviewer: For real? He made it through months of shooting? Wow.

Interviewee: He not only lived, he was all but directing the movie. Larry was unstoppable. Unkillable. Larry did what he wanted. Fear Larry.

...... Or words to that effect. 💀

Arachnophobia was so OTT that it almost didnt bother me.

I remember one of the cast being interviewed shortly after release. I cant remember what the main spider's name was, but he did indeed have a real-life name. We'll call him Larry.

Interviewer: So..... How many Larrys did you guys go through during filming? I bet you went through a bunch, huh?

Interviewee: No, just the one Larry. One Larry was enough, trust me. Larry is real-life nightmare fuel.

Interviewer: For real? He made it through months of shooting? Wow.

Interviewee: He not only lived, he was all but directing the movie. Larry was unstoppable. Unkillable. Larry did what he wanted. Fear Larry.

...... Or words to that effect. 💀
I have like bad arachnophobia so seeing that ugly ass spider close up and seeing its soulless black eyes creeped me out. And yea Larry seemed very unkillable lol. That thing was ugly. Not only was it ugly it made hissing sounds and could kill in one bite.
Imma grown ass man and I can’t watch that movie directly lol.

I think the entire concept of the Bird-Eater Tarantula (i think thats what Larry was) is offensive tbh. I get that spiders as a whole are very important ecologically, but this species is just not needed. Ever.

Every time i hear them mentioned some doof is always shrieking "Stop calling them that!! They dont eat birds!! They never eat birds that is a lie! Stop insulting one of God's creatures!! FOR SHAME!!"

Then below someone always posts a video link to one of these horrors closing in on a struggling little bird. I can promise you this: Death. Taxes. And that Rama here aint clicking on any such link. Not gonna happen.

If we are truly going through another mass extinction event as they say we are, these horrible things can GO FIRST. Them and all variants of Huntsman.

/end threadjack

HA HA I see that and raise you 1964s? "Devil Doll." First saw this as a MST3K episode but I will say, despite the shambolic 1960s special effects this is pretty damn creepy. Do not piss off Hugo the ventriloquist's dummy! Treat him with great respect. If he asks for wine give him some. He cannot drink it, but be polite anyways.
Yes, I get you, something about those dummies which is scary even in daylight.

I think the entire concept of the Bird-Eater Tarantula (i think thats what Larry was) is offensive tbh. I get that spiders as a whole are very important ecologically, but this species is just not needed. Ever.

Every time i hear them mentioned some doof is always shrieking "Stop calling them that!! They dont eat birds!! They never eat birds that is a lie! Stop insulting one of God's creatures!! FOR SHAME!!"

Then below someone always posts a video link to one of these horrors closing in on a struggling little bird. I can promise you this: Death. Taxes. And that Rama here aint clicking on any such link. Not gonna happen.

If we are truly going through another mass extinction event as they say we are, these horrible things can GO FIRST. Them and all variants of Huntsman.

/end threadjack
All spiders are offensive. Tarantulas included. You have 8 legs and 8 eyes and creep around fine. But to be the size of a man’s hand and be hairy and have eight legs and eight eyes is ridiculous. To all my Australian residents I hope you guys well

For a dinosaur-loving kid, Planet of Dinosaurs was a real cinematic rude awakening. Not only did the film feature my beloved dinos gruesomely killing everything that moved, it also had a pretty creepy spider scene to boot:

Last edited:
Yes, I get you, something about those dummies which is scary even in daylight.

Its that Uncanny Valley thing.

I own many dolls and lifelike action figures. I own two full size mannequins. Yet even I would have to think long and hard about a resident ventriloquist's dummy in my house. Those things just aint right.

For a dinosaur-loving kid, Planet of Dinosaurs was a real cinematic rude awakening. Not only did the film feature my beloved dinos gruesomely killing everything that moved, it also had a pretty creepy spider scene to boot:

The bad thing is, is that there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that spiders of that size actually exist, or used to exist. The Africans say that theyre extremely rare or gone now, having been hunted to extinction? because of the danger they posed to children especially, and smaller livestock such as goats.... but yeah. Who knows what the real truth is. (Cryptids other than bigfoot are interesting) Also SE Asia.

The bad thing is, is that there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that spiders of that size actually exist, or used to exist. The Africans say that theyre extremely rare or gone now, having been hunted to extinction? because of the danger they posed to children especially, and smaller livestock such as goats.... but yeah. Who knows what the real truth is. (Cryptids other than bigfoot are interesting) Also SE Asia.
Let’s hope there are gone 😂

As a kid, Dr. Who freaked the hell out of me. Something about those early shows, wonky sets, rubbery creatures and weird voices...and that bloody theme music! Gremlins was really the gateway movie that got me and my brother into horror. I guess '84 in general with Temple of Doom and Ghostbusters. Not all-out horror films as such, but with enough scares and mild gore to open the door. After that, it was catching on movies like Poltergeist, Alien, Nightmare On Elm Street, Evil Dead, The Exorcist, Jaws etc. My brother got into horror a lot more, collecting Fangoria. I still appreciate a decent horror movie - can't do the torture stuff like Hostel, more things like Hereditary and The Ritual.

Doctor Who The Seeds Of Doom, the pod bursting open to entangle the guys arm and the gradual body horror of the Krynoid taking him over!
Gave me nightmares of a Green slimy gibbering thing at the end of my bed for years! 😱

Back