From Exorcist ro Hereditary - Best Horror Films by year.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I'm Bored

Just google searching threw the years and decided to do this. I am sure I missed some films but I just went by google.. Bold means All time fav!

Interesting to look back. 80's had some great years for horror and 90's and 2000/s had some major droughts

1973 - The Exorcist
1974 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1975 - JAWS
1976 - Carrie
1977 - Martin / Orca
1978 - Halloween
1979 - ALIEN / Dawn of the Dead
1980 - The Shining
1981 - An American Werewolf in London
1982 - The Thing / Poltergeist
1983 - Christine / The Evil Dead
1984 - Gremlins / A Nightmare on Elm Street / Friday the 14th: The Final Chapter
1985 - Fright Night
1986 - Aliens / The Fly
1987 - Evil Dead II / Hellraiser / Predator
1988 - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
1989 - Pet Sematary / Pumpkinhead
1990 - Exorcist III
1991 - Silence of the Lambs
1992 - Candyman
1993 - Army of Darkness
1994 - Wes Craven's New Nightmare / Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
1995 - Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight
1996 - Scream / From Dusk Till Dawn
1997 - The Devil's Advocate / Event Horizon
1998 - Blade
1999 - The Blair Witch Project
2000 - Pitch Black
2001 - The Others
2002 - Dog Soldiers / Blade II
2003 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2004 - SAW
2005 - Wolf Creek / The Exorcism of Emily Rose
2006 - Hostel / The Decent
2007 - The Mist
2008 - Cloverfield
2009 - The Collector
2010 - Let Me In / The Reef
2011 - The Lovely Molly
2012 - Sinister
2013 - The Conjuring
2014 - Exists
2015 - Krampus
2016 - The VVitch
2017 - Split
2018 - Hereditary

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider Hereditary a horror movie

Damn seriously? If that last 20 minutes or so wasn't Horror I don't know what is lol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Its got some Family drama for sure and it deals with loss and despair in a meaningful way..

But yeah... This film is Horror.

Nuff said

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

No 28 Days Later or 2004 Dawn of the Dead? You must not like fast zombies. ;)

The Ring is definitely in my Top 3 of the 21st century. Also liked Open Water and The Shallows. Loved The VVitch, Under the Skin and Ex Machina.

Otherwise yeah the true classics are from the 70's to the mid-80's with ALIENS being #1 all time for me. Original Terminator has very strong slasher movie elements as well.

The original Ju-On is my favorite Asian horror film. Didn't really care for Ringu despite loving The Ring.

No movie since exorcism of Emily rose has scared me tbh. Maybe also jaws

Damn seriously? If that last 20 minutes or so wasn't Horror I don't know what is lol.

It's a bit disturbing, but not particularly scary, it's much more of a drama than a horror movie, sure they made it as a horror movie, but I don't think it does a good job as a horror movie.

No nasties....drillerkiller,toolbox murders,canibal ferox,i spit on your grave,last house on the left ect......all pretty revolutionary in there own right.....you would think building on the shoulders of these we get to the conjuring seems like one step forward ten steps back.

No 28 Days Later or 2004 Dawn of the Dead? You must not like fast zombies. ;)

The Ring is definitely in my Top 3 of the 21st century. Also liked Open Water and The Shallows. Loved The VVitch, Under the Skin and Ex Machina.

Otherwise yeah the true classics are from the 70's to the mid-80's with ALIENS being #1 all time for me. Original Terminator has very strong slasher movie elements as well.

The original Ju-On is my favorite Asian horror film. Didn't really care for Ringu despite loving The Ring.

I agree with you on The Ring and The Shallows; I really wanted to like The VVitch when it came out, but it just didn't work for me.

Probably my favorite of the more recent films is The Descent. Others I don't see on Jaws' list are Insidious and 30 Days Of Night.

Takashi Miikes Audition would go over Blair Witch for me at the 1999 spot but I wasn't around for the initial hype.

Back