XM Studios - DC Comic License for 1/6 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: XM Studios - DC Comic License for 1/4 scale

Rumor has it SS threw a hissy fit about XM making 1/4 DC statues so WB gave XM the 1/6 scale license and made it world wide.

Lots of rumours to go around about the relationships between these two companies. If SSC protected their 1/4 license and they pushed to maintain an exclusive deal, except for those that distribute through them, then that is what happened. Not what I call a hissy fit, but more of a business decision.

I am going to also say this. XM needs to stop teasing and divulging information BEFORE they are free and clear and have pieces ready. This is the SECOND time they have apparently lost the DC 1/4 license. Something I don't think that could have happened if just one day they put up 3 DC statutes for PO. No teases and no leaks.... just put the things up for PO. It is far tougher to take away a license once statues are already paid for.

Last edited:

Lots of rumours to go around about the relationships between these two companies. If SSC protected their 1/4 license and they pushed to maintain an exclusive deal, except for those that distribute through them, then that is what happened. Not what I call a hissy fit, but more of a business decision.

God forbid a company protect something it paid for :lol

I am going to also say this. XM needs to stop teasing and divulging information BEFORE they are free and clear and have pieces ready. This is the SECOND time they have apparently lost the DC 1/4 license. Something I don't think that could have happened if just one day they put up 3 DC statutes for PO. No teases and no leaks.... just put the things up for PO. It is far tougher to take away a license once statues are already paid for.

I doubt they pissed off DC, if they did they wouldn't of gotten a 1/6 scale world license. One thing I can guarantee you is if XM made a 1/4 Black Canary statue it wouldn't have mutant hands and a leg that bowed inward. I just don't get how SS justifies those horrible design decisions.

I doubt they pissed off DC, if they did they wouldn't of gotten a 1/6 scale world license. One thing I can guarantee you is if XM made a 1/4 Black Canary statue it wouldn't have mutant hands and a leg that bowed inward. I just don't get how SS justifies those horrible design decisions.

I am not saying that they pissed off DC. What I am saying is that IF XM kept their future plans to THEMSELVES and didn't advertise every license they obtain to everyone in every forum, and or have every license leaked by those in the versus secret groups, then an entity like SSC couldn't block anything. If this is indeed what happened and SSC protected the license they purchased, maybe even for the second time, then XM only have themselves and their fans to blame. Like I said, it is a lot harder to block something when the horse is already out of the gate, say after you put up a preorder for say Superman, Batman, and WonderWoman, then before anything has been put on PO. You can't block or protect a license if you don't know what the other companies are doing before hand.

As for Black Canary.... I actually like and would have no problem with her, but that is just me.

Rumor has it SS threw a hissy fit about XM making 1/4 DC statues so WB gave XM the 1/6 scale license and made it world wide.

This is all about money, if XM had the option to secure the 1/4 license for a specific Region that was NOT owned by SS, then they'd have done it. SS either had global exclusivity for 1/4 DC and blocked XM, OR SS was willing to up the ante to secure full global rights and XM was not willing to go higher. IMO there is some spin happening here to save face because XM teased the 1/4 DC line and didn't deliver. I'm personally disappointed because I wanted to see XM do their best on a 1/4 DC line but let's not dismiss business negotiations by calling them "hissy fits", money talks...

This is all about money, if XM had the option to secure the 1/4 license for a specific Region that was NOT owned by SS, then they'd have done it. SS either had global exclusivity for 1/4 DC and blocked XM, OR SS was willing to up the ante to secure full global rights and XM was not willing to go higher. IMO there is some spin happening here to save face because XM teased the 1/4 DC line and didn't deliver. I'm personally disappointed because I wanted to see XM do their best on a 1/4 DC line but let's not dismiss business negotiations by calling them "hissy fits", money talks...

People consider it throwing a tantrum when you protect your licensing agreements and your investments because they see it as the big guy picking on the little guy, but that is just how these things work. I know that even a limited Marvel license can run you into the seven figures, and I am talking extremely limited. I can't even imagine how much SSC paid to have a world wide license for DC, but I am sure that just about every other company that is producing 1/4 and above DC pieces had to go to SSC for some kind of permission to do so... hence the distribution rights.

Yeah, BC would have been sooo much better through XM, 5 terrible portraits, and paid in advance through some guy you met on a forum or Facebook.

That's how the pros collect.

XM is going to have licensing trouble as long as they allow that the go on. Their licensees know they grey market sell.

Yeah, BC would have been sooo much better through XM, 5 terrible portraits, and paid in advance through some guy you met on a forum or Facebook.

That's how the pros collect.

XM is going to have licensing trouble as long as they allow that the go on. Their licensees know they grey market sell.

XM Doesn't grey market sell, people buy through 3rd parties, nothing XM can do about that. As far as portraits goes SS has their share of failures themselves... No to mention poor fitting mix media, bad paint apps, weird anatomy, googly eyes, poor engineering which leads to leaning statues, movie statues where the portraits look nothing like the actor/actress, etc..etc..

XM Doesn't grey market sell, people buy through 3rd parties, nothing XM can do about that. As far as portraits goes SS has their share of failures themselves... No to mention poor fitting mix media, bad paint apps, weird anatomy, googly eyes, poor engineering which leads to leaning statues, movie statues where the portraits look nothing like the actor/actress, etc..etc..

Lol.... dan come on.... we ALL KNOW that 50%-75% of XM pieces are sold to those 3rd parties LONG before their officially approved by the license holders, and well before the OFFICIAL POs. That is grey market selling, not to mention the secret groups, the XM mafia, of the XM Illuminati.... whatever you want to call them there is a load of stuff that goes in WELL before the POs

Lol.... dan come on.... we ALL KNOW that 50%-75% of XM pieces are sold to those 3rd parties LONG before their officially approved by the license holders, and well before the OFFICIAL POs. That is grey market selling, not to mention the secret groups, the XM mafia, of the XM Illuminati.... whatever you want to call them there is a load of stuff that goes in WELL before the POs

Wear tin hats much lol.... XM keeps a percentage to sell for themselves, the rest goes to their official retailers, if these retailers sell to 3rd parties in the licensed area who then sell to outside the license areas there is nothing XM can do, if you got hard proof that XM is selling directly outside their license area then post it. If it's so obvious that XM was directly breaking their agreements then I'm sure Marvel would of yanked their license long ago.

So yes I agree good percentage of XM statues get sold via grey market but I doubt XM is directly involved in doing it which your implying. I also find it a bit ironic that someone who is technically illegally selling custom unlicensed portraits would point fingers :lol

Last edited:

So Sideshow paid all that money for the global license so it could be the only company in the world to make 1/4 DC statues and deprive collectors of alternatives and then showed a total of 2 1/4 DC comic style statues at SDCC and put the rest of their resources into COTD. And also hang back on making long demanded characters like Nightwing and Robin while completely screwing up any highly requested character they do make like Deathstroke. All while hiking up their prices (probably to cover the cost of the global license they just paid for). Awesome. Thanks Sideshow, you are the best. Thats a great business model if your goal is to make collecting so unenjoyable for people that they eventually quit out of frustration. Just Awesome.

So Sideshow paid all that money for the global license so it could be the only company in the world to make 1/4 DC statues and deprive collectors of alternatives and then showed a total of 2 1/4 DC comic style statues at SDCC and put the rest of their resources into COTD. And also hang back on making long demanded characters like Nightwing and Robin while completely screwing up any highly requested character they do make like Deathstroke. All while hiking up their prices (probably to cover the cost of the global license they just paid for). Awesome. Thanks Sideshow, you are the best. Thats a great business model if your goal is to make collecting so unenjoyable for people that they eventually quit out of frustration. Just Awesome.

Welcome to the world of statue collecting! :)

It comes out to about 5-6 DC Comic PFs a year. So there was already 2 announced this year before SDCC. Hoping for another before year end, but Legendary Batman may messed those chances up.

Wear tin hats much lol.... XM keeps a percentage to sell for themselves, the rest goes to their official retailers, if these retailers sell to 3rd parties in the licensed area who then sell to outside the license areas there is nothing XM can do, if you got hard proof that XM is selling directly outside their license area then post it. If it's so obvious that XM was directly breaking their agreements then I'm sure Marvel would of yanked their license long ago.

So yes I agree good percentage of XM statues get sold via grey market but I doubt XM is directly involved in doing it which your implying. I also find it a bit ironic that someone who is technically illegally selling custom unlicensed portraits would point fingers :lol

Lol, good one. You cracked me up. XM doesn't know random individuals are ordering MULTIPLE pieces and selling them on...brah come on. They have been hooking people up with these resellers from the start. You can pre order through your XM contact. Hell, even I have a guy. Where do you think I found him?

You are very foolish if you think Disney is unaware or that this has not already effected XM and what they have been allowed to produce.

Back