X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Class is great, but the 3rd act has way too many problems for me to rank it ahead of DOFP.

DOFP doesn’t get enough credit, it was easily the most ambitious superhero movie of the year, with the franchise at stake the movie had to deliver, and it did. It didn’t have the luxury of just being an entertaining one off, Singer and his team had to fix a ton of plot holes in the series to tie everything together, and it literally had to fix a broken franchise and set up new intriguing possibilities for future entries in the series while remaining cohesive enough for newer audiences that haven’t been keeping up with these films since 1999.

To me, Cap wasn’t even the second best superhero movie of the year, and it seems to be get be getting way too much credit because it took itself a bit more serious than the rest of the films in the MCU. The action was great, the story was okay but the movie really didn’t do anything new or groundbreaking, it was a solid action flick in my opinion but not a great film.

:lol Uh.... DoFP pulled a Dallas. It really wasn't that hard. Wolverine goes back in the past and they do a clean swipe of all the bad stories from the previous films. It's not rocket science and it's not even really high caliber writing.

:lol Uh.... DoFP pulled a Dallas. It really wasn't that hard. Wolverine goes back in the past and they do a clean swipe of all the bad stories from the previous films. It's not rocket science and it's not even really high caliber writing.

Yeah you can't credit DOFP for returning respectability to the franchise, First Class already did that. And also yes, the Herculean task of cleaning up continuity and story problems of previous films amounted to nothing more than "go back in time and erase them." I liked DOFP because it was a cool superhero take on "Frequency" and had awesome contrasting styles between the 70's and the future. A number of details have gotten hazy since I saw it the one time in the theater but I do have a feeling that it will stand up nicely to repeat viewings.

Capt 2's writing wasn't exactly brilliant either :lol Black widow and Nick Fury had that gadget that changes their faces Mission Impossible style, yet they are faking their deaths and hiding from hydra and the winter soldier :lol And how the hell did Black widow get to be part of that meeting with Robert Redford at the end of the film? What happened to the real lady? Millions of people were going to die and Shield was taken down along with Fury and where were the other Avengers? Was Hulk too busy sleeping while listening to Stark's story? :lol

What happened to the real lady?
MD6p71p.jpg

You and that damn Dallas analogy :slap

Both plot devices served a similar purpose, but they both went about it in much much different ways.

Last edited:
Capt 2's writing wasn't exactly brilliant either :lol Black widow and Nick Fury had that gadget that changes their faces Mission Impossible style, yet they are faking their deaths and hiding from hydra and the winter soldier :lol And how the hell did Black widow get to be part of that meeting with Robert Redford at the end of the film? What happened to the real lady? Millions of people were going to die and Shield was taken down along with Fury and where were the other Avengers? Was Hulk too busy sleeping while listening to Stark's story? :lol

"Where are the Avengers?" is the automatic go to for a complaint when it comes to the MCU solos, and the obvious answer is "Waiting for Avengers 2" but in story in Cap 2 it makes perfect sense why he doesn't attempt to recruit them. With Hydra/SHIELD watching them it makes sense for Steve to seek out someone like Sam Wilson, who wouldn't be on the radar. Tony is high profile and was no doubt being watched, (same with the other Avengers). Hulk is too unstable for the mission Steve had to carry out. TWS takes place over a few day, anyway. There would be very little time to involve these people.

Black Widow never faked her death. By faking his Fury assured they wouldn't keep coming after him. Being a part of that meeting is as easy Natasha intercepting the lady at the airport. Natasha even mentions the airport in her conversation with the rest of the council.

None of those things are anywhere near the level of Kitty having time traveling abilities she was never shown to have in the previous X-Men films so that they could get the Wolverine character back in time; Magneto not being able to stop ONE bullet so that he ends up in a prison for ten years since those ten years have to be left behind to show the angsty Xavier arc of him having nothing and being unable to use his powers (where were the mutants too young to go to war that should've still been in the school?) and it would've made Charles look bad if he were choosing to forgo his powers so that he could walk while Magneto was out wrecking havoc. And the idea that SO much changed within the timeline of the previous original timeline films that everything is perfect at the end when Wolverine wakes up.

As far as Cap 2 not being "groundbreaking" or "new" -very few movies are. What it did was take its story and characters and execute its premise like a well oiled machine with top notching directing and action along for the ride.

The plane scene is DOFP is great, but one scene doesn't make a movie. And the set up felt too artificial for me to truly enjoy it, beyond greatly admiring Fassbender's incredible acting talent.

Last edited:
@Josette Hey, I'm not apart of this debate! The only superhero movies that I'm passionate about are the Nolan Batman movies, so I don't care what people like. I didn't even fully watch any of the Marvel movies, except the first Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America until this year. I loved the first Iron Man (still do!), but I got sick of the rest being so cookie cutter. I tried watching the Avengers in 2012 on DVD, because of the high praise, but I shut if off, because I was so bored.

I was just trying to be positive about the movie that the thread is about.

None of those things are anywhere near the level of Kitty having time traveling abilities she was never shown to have in the previous X-Men films so that they could get the Wolverine character back in time; Magneto not being able to stop ONE bullet so that he ends up in a prison for ten years since those ten years have to be left behind to show the angsty Xavier arc of him having nothing and being unable to use his powers (where were the mutants too young to go to war that should've still been in the school?) and it would've made Charles look bad if he were choosing to forgo his powers so that he could walk while Magneto was out wrecking havoc. And the idea that SO much changed within the timeline of the previous original timeline films that everything is perfect at the end when Wolverine wakes up.

These were the two things that I had a little trouble with in DOFP. Rachel Summers could have been introduced like she was in the comic and would of made more sense than Kitty having brand new time traveling abilities.

Magneto not being able to stop one bullet made no sense after you see him controlling eight sentinels and RFK stadium.

While these two things slightly bothered me, it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the movie and seeing some of my favorite characters (Blink, Colossus, Kitty & Iceman) on the big screen. :D

"Where are the Avengers?" is the automatic go to for a complaint when it comes to the MCU solos, and the obvious answer is "Waiting for Avengers 2" but in story in Cap 2 it makes perfect sense why he doesn't attempt to recruit them. With Hydra/SHIELD watching them it makes sense for Steve to seek out someone like Sam Wilson, who wouldn't be on the radar. Tony is high profile and was no doubt being watched, (same with the other Avengers). Hulk is too unstable for the mission Steve had to carry out. TWS takes place over a few day, anyway. There would be very little time to involve these people.

Black Widow never faked her death. By faking his Fury assured they wouldn't keep coming after him. Being a part of that meeting is as easy Natasha intercepting the lady at the airport. Natasha even mentions the airport in her conversation with the rest of the council.

As far as Cap 2 not being "groundbreaking" or "new" -very few movies are. What it did was take its story and characters and execute its premise like a well oiled machine with top notching directing and action along for the ride.

The plane scene is DOFP is great, but one scene doesn't make a movie. And the set up felt too artificial for me to truly enjoy it, beyond greatly admiring Fassbender's incredible acting talent.

How is Kitty’s powers evolving a problem? That part was almost the same as the comics.

We didn’t see what happened during the JFK assassination, so again how is that a problem? Hell, Magneto didn’t even stop Raven’s bullet at the end of DOFP that went through his neck, anything could have happened to him during the JFK assassination, maybe he tripped, maybe someone farted right when the bullet went off and distracted him, that moment before the story is left up to our imagination and my guess is he was distracted, and had to find the shooter in an overly crowded/defended public event.

Have to watch the movie again, but I don’t believe Charles was walking around the school when it was it up, he started taking Hank’s spinal treatment medicine once the school closed down, that was pretty much the last thing he had keeping him motivated, and once the school closed he snapped and went into his depression.

I’m sure most of his students at that time were young adults, but my guess for the ones that were too young to go to war either went into hiding, or like Erik described in the plane scene, they probably were taken by the government and subjected to tests and experiments by Trask.

:nono Both plot devices served the EXACT SAME purpose. :tap
DOFP uses it for more than just bringing back two dead characters who they probably could have brought back without a time travel story, they mainly used it because they wanted to combine both casts for box office reasons, and its one of the best X-Men stories of all time.

@Josette Hey, I'm not apart of this debate! The only superhero movies that I'm passionate about are the Nolan Batman movies, so I don't care what people like. I didn't even fully watch any of the Marvel movies, except the first Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America until this year. I loved the first Iron Man (still do!), but I got sick of the rest being so cookie cutter. I tried watching the Avengers in 2012 on DVD, because of the high praise, but I shut if off, because I was so bored.

I was just trying to be positive about the movie that the thread is about.

I agree, Iron Man is still the best movie MCU film to date.

Last edited:
No it wasn't. Kitty never had time traveling powers of any kind in the the comic book story-line. It was Rachel Summers who sent Kitty's mind into the past.

I know, but instead of Rachel conveniently having that power to move the plot forward, they gave it to Kitty, who then sends Wolverine’s consciousness back into time. I don’t see how thats a problem, it’s not like Kitty found that power in someones backyard, over time, she develops the power, similar to how Singer originally intended for Jean to become the Phoenix.

I know, but instead of Rachel conveniently having that power to move the plot forward, they gave it to Kitty, who then sends Wolverine’s consciousness back into time. I don’t see how thats a problem, it’s not like Kitty found that power in someones backyard, over time, she develops the power, similar to how Singer originally intended for Jean to become the Phoenix.

I'm just saying that it would have made more sense. The casual movie goer (not familiar with the X-comics) had no idea who Sunspot, Warpath, Blink or Bishop were.

Adding Rachel wouldn't have slowed down the plot one bit.

I'm just saying that it would have made more sense. The casual movie goer (not familiar with the X-comics) had no idea who Sunspot, Warpath, Blink or Bishop were.

Adding Rachel wouldn't have slowed down the plot one bit.

Thats true and I would have preferred Rachel as well because I’m a fan of the original story, but it makes more sense for moviegoers because Kitty already had a decent fan base being one of the standouts from X3, and they already had a relatively big name actress contractually obligated to return. It was also a nice nod a guess to have her play a role in the time travel aspect of the film, even though it wasn’t the same, she took Rachel’s spot, and Wolverine took hers which made more sense for the film in my opinion.

DOFP uses it for more than just bringing back two dead characters who they probably could have brought back without a time travel story, they mainly used it because they wanted to combine both casts for box office reasons, and its one of the best X-Men stories of all time.

Did you miss the honkydory ending where Logan wakes up and everybody's fine and alive with the events from United and Last Stand completely erased? :dunno :lol

Maybe a young, gay singer cried his eyes out at the death of JR and it inspired him so much, the whole reason he came back to X-Men was to redo that part of his favorite childhood soap opera. :huh

Back