X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekend Report: 'X-Men' Rules Memorial Day, Falls Short of Franchise Record

by Ray Subers

X-Men: Days of Future Past

May 25, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past dominated the box office over Memorial Day weekend, though it fell short of setting a new record for the 14-year-old franchise. Meanwhile, Adam Sandler's Blended bombed.

X-Men also opened day-and-date in most foreign markets and earned a phenomenal $171.1 million. By next weekend, it will pass The Wolverine ($282 million) to become the highest-grossing X-Men movie ever. For more details, see the Around-the-World Roundup below.

Playing at nearly 4,000 locations, X-Men: Days of Future Past earned an estimated $90.7 million over the three-day weekend. Among recent superhero movies, that's a bit lower than Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($91.6 million).

Among X-Men movies, it ranks second all-time behind X-Men: The Last Stand ($102.8 million), which opened on the same weekend eight years ago. It also sold fewer tickets than 2D-only entries X2: X-Men United and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Still, it was nearly $40 million higher than last Summer's The Wolverine, and was also a massive improvement over X-Men: First Class ($55.1 million).

With eight years of ticket price inflation and the addition of 3D premiums, it does feel like Days of Future Past should have been able to match The Last Stand. Unfortunately, The Last Stand arrived in theaters when the X-Men were still near the top of the comic book food chain. Now, they're merely one group in an increasingly crowded field (the same goes for Spider-Man).

Still, this is among the best openings of the year, and is a significant step up from the last two X-Men outings. By combining the original cast with the First Class crew—and using fan favorite Wolverine to bridge the gap—X-Men: Days of Future Past did manage to stand out from previous entries. Previews clearly outlined the high stakes ("The World's Greatest Threat Faces the World's Greatest Team") and provided enough big-budget spectacle to make this seem like an exciting addition to the superhero genre.

The X-Men franchise is typically very front-loaded, though there's reason to believe that Days of Future Past might buck this trend. It's received strong reviews (91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and good word-of-mouth ("A" CinemaScore), and competition in the next few weeks isn't too bad. It should have no problem getting to $225 million, and could even come close to $250 million.

In second place, Godzilla plummeted 66 percent to $31.4 million. While that decline is a bit better than Cloverfield's 68 percent, it's still much worse than most comparable titles. Thanks to strong marketing, moviegoers rushed out last weekend; unfortunately, the movie they saw wasn't exactly what was advertised. Combine that weak word-of-mouth with tough competition from X-Men, and a steep drop was in order. The movie has now earned $148.8 million, and is on pace to finish between $205 and $225 million.

Blended flopped with a weak $14.2 million this weekend. That's over $10 million less than Adam Sandler's 2011 disappointment Jack and Jill ($25 million), and is only a bit higher than 2012 bomb That's My Boy ($13.5 million).

There was an expectation that reuniting Sandler with 50 First Dates/The Wedding Singer co-star Drew Barrymore would be enough to generate solid ticket sales. Unfortunately, the movie lacked an appealing story, and previews were light on strong jokes.

Sandler has been coasting on goodwill for a while, and his fan base does appear to be shrinking. It doesn't help that Sandler seems to hold that audience in such contempt: on Jimmy Kimmel Live this week, he appeared to admit that he made Blended simply so he could take a vacation.

According to Warner Bros., the audience for Blended was 56 percent female and 74 percent over the age of 25. That data suggests that families weren't a big part of the audience this weekend. The movie received an "A-" CinemaScore; Sandler's movies typically hold well, so a final total north of $50 million is likely.

In fourth place, Neighbors fell 44 percent to $13.9 million. The Seth Rogen/Zac Efron comedy has now earned $113.6 million total.

Against tough competition from X-Men, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 fell 54 percent to $7.8 million. So far, the superhero sequel has earned $184.9 million, and is on track to finish between $200 and $203 million.

Jon Favreau's Chef expanded to 498 locations and earned a solid $2.26 million. Meanwhile, Fox Searchlight's Belle expanded to 453 theaters and grossed $1.7 million.

Around-the-World Roundup

At 118 countries, X-Men: Days of Future Past opened to a massive $171.1 million overseas this weekend. According to Fox, it earned more across the same bucket of territories than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The movie's biggest market was China, where it earned $37.7 million in its first three days. That's a bit ahead of Captain America, which has grossed over $120 million total there. This gigantic result in China is likely due in part to the inclusion of Chinese superstar Bingbing Fan, and the fact that most of the "future" section of the movie is set in China.

Days of Future Past also had the biggest debut ever for a Fox movie in 11 markets, including South Korea ($13.5 million), Brazil ($8 million), the Philippines ($3.9 million) and India ($3.9 million). Other major markets included U.K. ($14.2 million), France ($10.6 million), Mexico ($10.4 million), Russia ($10.3 million), Australia ($7.7 million) and Germany ($4.7 million).

By next weekend, Days of Future Past will be the highest-grossing X-Men movie ever ahead of The Wolverine ($282 million). With Japan and Spain still on the way, it's hard to imagine Days of Future Past falling short of $400 million total.

Godzilla added $34.5 million overseas, which is a massive 67 percent decline from last weekend. Its biggest market was the U.K. with $4.3 million. So far, the movie has earned $166.6 million, and will ultimately get past $200 million from its existing territories. It's going to need huge results from China and Japan to get anywhere close to $400 million overseas.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned $11.2 million this weekend, bringing its total to $489 million. It will pass the first Amazing Spider-Man ($490.2 million) in the next day or two.

Frozen held on to first place in Japan for the 11th weekend in a row. The movie now ranks fourth all-time there with $193.7 million. On a worldwide basis, it passed Iron Man 3 to become the top movie from 2013 and the fifth-biggest all-time. To date, the animated sensation has earned $1.22 billion.

Just saw this today and really liked it. Solid cast with solid performances and a really cool vibe with the 70's and future worlds.

It just had such a "been there done that" feeling throughout though. How many times have we had an X-Men movie now where some guy in the US government wants to take down mutants with Magneto wanting to start a war and Charles trying to convince Magneto to do otherwise? Five times now? Do the X-Men ever NOT fight Magneto and Mystique?

Even a lot of the "new" elements still felt tired. The time travel thing is so Terminator-esque (I know the DOFP comics predate the Terminator movies but did they really need to actually say things like "the future is not set?" And Trask and the Sentinels reminded me a LOT of Pierce and the Insight Carriers. Slick dude who wants some death machines to take flight and start blowing away hapless threats across the globe. And I just thought TWS did a better job with the same idea. Even Wolverine being taken out of the fight at the end by being thrown backwards into a pool of water before needing to be rescued also just made me think "TWS did it better."

It also seemed like due to the star power involved that they struggled with deciding just who the main character was. For the first third of the movie it seemed like it was Wolverine, then Charles and Mystique seemed to take the forefront, then it was Charles vs. Magneto with Wolverine out of the picture and suddenly Mystique is the hero. It just didn't seem to flow very well in that regard. Then there were other little moments like the bad guy from the previous movie needing to be freed from prison so someone could punch him and say "that was for [insert crimes of previous movie.]" Come on, we just saw that exact scene a few months ago in Thor 2.

So yeah it had a number of issues IMO but I did still really enjoy the setting and the characters. I was surprised how much I like Quicksilver and "Blink." Probably my two favorite mutants to watch in action. I do hope they give the next one to another director. Singer is decent but it seems he's only capable of hitting the same notes over and over again.

Without going into the same things so many other reviews went on about with this movie, I'll distill it down to two basic things that really made it work for me....it was a great looking production and more importantly, the characters were the focus here....they are what pulled me through the movie. Tight story and solid ending make this one a good one.

CA:WS is still the best so far this year for me, but this one's right up there....

I absolutely love this film and took my mom the second time around.

She hated the ending. To her, "they're running out of ideas so they're going back to the beginning and making it like the first one. People are stupid for paying for the same ****."

As a fan, I laughed since I really can't find any fault with that logic.

I saw this tonight and thought it was really excellent. Told a compelling, comprehensible story (which wasn't a guarantee considering the premise) with great dramatic performances, tension, action, and resolution. Special effects were also quite good. And did so while referencing comic characters and situations that I've been a fan of for many years, doing them justice for the most part. Can't ask for more than that from a comic movie.

I noticed something interesting after thinking about what happens in the movie:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Others saw it that way too, I didn't think about it tbh...
From entertainment weekly...
x-men_timeline-c.jpg

Spoiler Spoiler:

That's one way to look at it, but I'm sure they stated that the events that take place in the past due to Wolvies involvement would only take effect once he returns to the present

So until he woke up again, nothing had changed.

So did I hear Magneto (Eric) correctly when they were on the plane that
Spoiler Spoiler:
I think that's a major screw up!

Just finished FC, forgot how good that was.

The 73 scenes from DOFP is a good extension of FC but the future scenes in DOFP holds it back from being as good as FC.

As far as the action goes, I prefer X1/2 action scenes over DOFP, maybe even X3.

Thank you- the future scenes are the low point of an otherwise enjoyable and suspenseful film. See the future scenes as cookie cutter CGI bleak future stuff done 100 times before

Time travel has always been a crazy concept that no one ever seems to get right. I remember reading somewhere that in back to the future when Marty goes back in time to save the doctor he created an alternate reality where everything is different. WB e he did that everything in the past is subject to change. I know that this does not explain everything in DOFP past but it helps. Once you mess with a timeline every memory becomes subjective.

See the future scenes as cookie cutter CGI bleak future stuff done 100 times before

While I agree to a point, the future scenes were the reason the 70's story had suspense etc. Without the future piece no consequences for 70's characters eliminating the suspense...... The point I agree with is pretty typical doom & gloom future sequences but I give it a pass as that wasn't the main plot.....besides enjoyed the out come of several of the future battles, while expected still fun to watch.

So did I hear Magneto (Eric) correctly when they were on the plane that
Spoiler Spoiler:
I think that's a major screw up!

That is correct and when Mystique is going through Trask's files in his office at night
Spoiler Spoiler:

Playing at nearly 4,000 locations, X-Men: Days of Future Past earned an estimated $90.7 million over the three-day weekend. Among recent superhero movies, that's a bit lower than Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($91.6 million).

I can't believe Cap opened stronger than Spider-Man and a freaking Brian Singer X-Men *all star* movie. That's so cool. :rock

I did really like that DOFP not only literally "fixed" the previous films but also ended with
Spoiler Spoiler:

A pretty cool feat that Singer pulled off.

One thing I wasn't sure of though was this:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Plot holes, temporal anomalies and inconsistencies aside this was a massive undertaking that went about 85%-90% to righting the franchise. I finally feel like X-Men is in pretty good hands at FOX/Singer. Sure I'd still prefer to have the franchise to go to Marvel, but that's just not going to happen unless there's some other major development at FOX and they have Disney/Marvel pay through the nose.

For now I'm looking forward to AoA.

I can't believe Cap opened stronger than Spider-Man and a freaking Brian Singer X-Men *all star* movie. That's so cool. :rock

I did really like that DOFP not only literally "fixed" the previous films but also ended with
Spoiler Spoiler:

A pretty cool feat that Singer pulled off.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Cap 2 ftw :rock

Regarding timeline, well technically there is only one that matters.

The next movie (set in the 80s) will be between Logan drowning and waking up, but still the same timeline.

Maybe we will see Weapon X procedure AGAIN. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yup, good catch.

Others saw it that way too, I didn't think about it tbh...
From entertainment weekly...
x-men_timeline-c.jpg

:lol

Thank you- the future scenes are the low point of an otherwise enjoyable and suspenseful film. See the future scenes as cookie cutter CGI bleak future stuff done 100 times before

You're welcome. :lol

It was the weaker part of the movie.

Sentinels looked like ass, they really did.

I prefer robots over those silly things.

The 73 Sentinels were much better, although barely utilized.

This movie really had little action. :lol

This movie was very well acted, had weight with a good forward momentum and decent build up of tension, but Cap 2 destroys it in the action dept.

Last edited:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back