X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoFP is gonna make or break whatever engagement I have left with this franchise, that I know for sure.

I have a feeling you should prepare to be disengaged. The movie may be good but I highly doubt it'll be anything special. A few in the series turned out well but no trend setters. If your putting all that's left of your faith in one film whose prior adventures have been good at best....you better wait for the reboot :lol

Yeah it's kinda weird how you have a spider-man cartoon with phil coulson in it, yet in the films they can't meet, yet the films use the same Ultimate influence as the TV series does. It's like crazy.:lol

As long as Jackman is playing Wolverine, we won't see a reboot. But they did announce 'the Death of Wolverine' comic books. I don't know, I'm in between you guys and Pturtle, I do want a reboot, but I think I will nevertheless enjoy what they might do. Dunno. DoFP is gonna make or break whatever engagement I have left with this franchise, that I know for sure.

it can hsppen they can have Spiderman in agents of shield they have Tv rights to that character but they dont have the balls to do it.

I’m 100% sure DOFP is going to be amazing, but I don’t expect it to please the comic book purists. I’ll take a great film that strays a bit from the source material, over an okay film that remains faithful.

No matter how good this movie turns out, the Marvelites will be screaming for the rights to go back to Marvel.

@Krec9 Holy **** I never thought of the Agents of Shield TV thing, that's kinda weird if they'd circumvent the whole thing that way. Too bad that series appals me so much I can't even sit through one episode.

I don't entirely agree with that Pturtle, as I've risked mortal injury to reveal I'm not at all that much a fan of Marvel Studios and I would also take a great film that takes some liberties over a pure CB accurate film that falls short of anything great. But I think it's beyond reproach that the X-men film franchise has more potential than it can deliver now, within the current restraints. And that's not just because of CB accurateness, many characters throughout the series have not been used optimally at all, and some of X-men's best story lines have either been botched or are rendered unusable in their original fashion. CB accurateness isn't divine, but stories did use specific characters for a reason, and x-men is one of those franchises that often has great stories because of that exact specificity with which characters are utilised.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the X-men franchise as it is, but there's also no denying it could be a lot better then it is if it could detach itself from existing constraints... It's not a black and white thing imo.

I’m 100% sure DOFP is going to be amazing, but I don’t expect it to please the comic book purists. I’ll take a great film that strays a bit from the source material, over an okay film that remains faithful.

I hope your right about it being amazing but their track record is it may be good at best. I want it to be amazing as I am a Jackman / Wolverine and the X universe fan. That said, I admit IMO Marvel films have been superior thus far.

I hope your right about it being amazing but their track record is it may be good at best. I want it to be amazing as I am a Jackman / Wolverine and the X universe fan. That said, I admit IMO Marvel films have been superior thus far.

I consider X2 and FC to be amazing, but thats just my opinion. However, DOFP has a quality director, amazing cast, and finally, a huge superhero budget thats needed to really show what these mutants are capable of. I really don’t know what the film is lacking that can actually hinder it, maybe Simon Kinberg as one of the writers?

Marvel Studios has made no film superior to X2 as far as I'm concerned... Maybe on a pure action level, but nothing else.
I agree :duff

About one hour of First Class is among the best X-men material ever to hit screen, and everything else is, I'm sorry to say, X3 level to me. So FC is ambiguous for me.

But X2 is imo still a better film then most of its fellows in the genre. And I say film, not CB film, because a film ultimately imo should be more than just a CB adaptation, and ergo whether it's a good adaptation will never be the sole measure of whether the film entirely is good or not. Film IS a different medium and involves more factors as well as more potential than comic books. That's why I'm of two minds on Marvel Studios, I think overall they make great CB adaptations and it's clear that they have a way of honoring the material that has great success among fans, but from a larger perspective than adapting a comic book character most of their films – yes, in my opinion – are pretty mediocre when it concerns things like storytelling, dialog, acting, scoring, cinematography and what not.

I can still see myself appreciating DoFP as a good film, if I do think it is so after seeing it, but this whole franchise is at a point where it's not a good CB adaptation anymore and that has costs that're mounting awfully high. Pretty much at the tipping point where it's quite hard to justify it to fans. You can clearly see that on this very thread.

I can't say it any more nuanced than that I think. There has to be a balance between the overall standard of the medium of film and the standard that comic book adaptations have now been given by Nolan and Snyder on the one hand and Marvel Studios on the other. And in that new paradigm there is a lot of new oppertunity and it's just really, really hard to justify if a franchise refuses to engage that potential.

DoFP will undoubtedly show how much of that potential is still open to this franchise, but I'm afraid it's not enough to keep validating it's existence to fans.

Then again, I don't actually EXPECT a reboot, so either way you'll probably have the last laugh Pturtle. If it's true that DoFP will be a solid film that is.

I'm curious, if they ever did a reboot of X-Men, what wolverine claws would ya rather see? Where they pop out between the knuckles like the Jackman version or the comic and animated versions where the come out above the knuckles?

Marvel Studios has made no film superior to X2 as far as I'm concerned... Maybe on a pure action level, but nothing else.

I agree with a little bit but IMO the best studios film is Thor everyone says oh it's ironman but X2 is one of the best no denying that.

The problem for me with Thor s that I don't like Hemsworth and I still find it ridiculous that they have a brittish accent, a failed attempt for me to come across more dignified. A scandanavian accent would've been way more authentic imoand I wouldve preffered a scandanavian actor. In Avengers I surprisingly liked RDJ so I guess that's the power of Whedon, but I still found Hemsworth lame, he's the worst actor out of all of them. So that kinda ruins that character for me. Of the solo movies the Cap movies are the best, especially in phase 2, Chris Evans is a great Steve Rogers and he easily gets the best character arc. RDJ is fun for me as long as he's not the centre of attention, Ruffalo is great, ScarJo is fine, not particularly noteworthy to me, as is Renner. Really looking forward to Ultron after hearing Whedon about it. And I can't wait to see Don Cheadle among them.

I definitely like most of the X-men cast more than any of the avengers though. Hugh may not be the most CB accurate Wolverine but he's still tied with Bale for me as the best protagonist portrayel in modern comic book films to date.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the X-men franchise as it is, but there's also no denying it could be a lot better then it is if it could detach itself from existing constraints... It's not a black and white thing imo.

That's the problem on this board, theres alot of minds that can't think in anything but black and white. If you suggest something could be improved, then you are obviously looking for reasons to hate a film in their myopic view. :lol
Its rampant in a few non Dis Marvel threads. Same people day after day deflecting anything that they don't think blows sunshine up their movies ass. :monkey4

That's the problem on this board, theres alot of minds that can't think in anything but black and white. If you suggest something could be improved, then you are obviously looking for reasons to hate a film in their myopic view. :lol
Its rampant in a few non Dis Marvel threads. Same people day after day deflecting anything that they don't think blows sunshine up their movies ass. :monkey4

Great post! But it also goes the opposite way too, people who "can't think outside the box" and can't accept a character's or storyline's cinematic portrayal if it doesn't EXACTLY match the comic book version.

Back