X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH, I'm not crazy about Vaughn as a director. I think he's fairly generic, but I will give him that he's able to get good performances out of people and makes you care about the characters. But as far as having a distinct vision, or being able to stage action, or even set up a visually stunning shot, I think he's merely adequate.

What I loved about FC was Charles and Erik's friendship and how those characters were portrayed. But everything else was fairly average, and I had a strong dislike to the scenes with the young mutants. It was Charles and Erik that really raised the entire movie for me and let me forgive its shortcomings. The question then becomes, how much of that success was truly Vaughn's skill and not just a strong script?

And like pturtle said, he's notorious for dropping out of projects.

I just remember someone talking about superman returns being super stalky and now it creeps me the **** out.:lol

Idk, there's a lot of allegations of sexuel acts being culturally implemented in these hollywood circles. Hollywood seems to be a really seedy place (pun intended).

I liked first class but... Come on, if singer drops out I want a full frekin reboot...

... With Aaron Eckhart as an eperienced Cyclops. But then again all I really want and have always wanted is this in live action:
EDIT frig it I'll throw an actual video on here.

I'm pretty sure I can forget about it though.XD

I'm with you Mad. Fassbender and McAvoy made FC interesting, they're great actors and the characters had depth. But everything else was mediocre.

About a month ago X-Men 2 played on AMC with "story notes" (little subtitles that would appear giving trivia about the movie.) When Wolverine or someone was walking around the silver circular tunnels underneath the mansion the note said, "Singer stated he enjoyed overseeing the creation of these sets because he claims to have an affinity for tunnels and holes." :horror

I almost did a spittake, no joke!

Singer's a hack and a pedo. He needs to step away from X-Men; infact the entire series needs rebooted. Nothing I've seen in the trailers makes me want to see this. FC was decent but nothing special. This looks like another "Wolverine and 20-sec-of X-Men cameo' movie. :lol

Really? I thought the cinematography was great, and there were some incredible shots, such as the Magneto lifting the submarine. In my opinion FC had the best action of the series, but I give Vaughn a lot of credit because FC was notorious for having production issues. The script was changed so many times, and they basically had to rush scenes out in order to finish by their due date. If Vaughn was given the budget, script, and time that Singer has had with DOFP, I think he would make an incredible film. He hasn’t made a bad movie yet, at least not commercially.

I like Singer as the series director and overseer, but I certainly think Vaughn is pretty talented, he also helped rewrite the script to FC, and I believe helped with the DOFP script.

I don’t want a reboot to the series mainly because they have such an awesome cast. A majority of the films have been good, and while theres some continuity issues, they look like they should be fixed with this movie.

Singer's a hack and a pedo. He needs to step away from X-Men; infact the entire series needs rebooted. Nothing I've seen in the trailers makes me want to see this. FC was decent but nothing special. This looks like another “Wolverine and 20-sec-of X-Men cameo' movie. :lol

Weird you think he’s a hack, but you have Brandon Routh’s Superman in your sig. I’m assuming you actually enjoyed that film.

He hasn't done anything decent in years. SR was ok but only because I've got a major bias towards Superman in general. But that movie had way too many issues and he pretty much ruined that franchise too. Hence why it got rebooted.

About a month ago X-Men 2 played on AMC with "story notes" (little subtitles that would appear giving trivia about the movie.) When Wolverine or someone was walking around the silver circular tunnels underneath the mansion the note said, "Singer stated he enjoyed overseeing the creation of these sets because he claims to have an affinity for tunnels and holes." :horror

I almost did a spittake, no joke!

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

What happened to MM as the Fox overseer, was he canned or did he quit.

I always got the vibe once Singer came back in the picture, Miller really wasn’t needed, or at least he isn’t needed until they finally try combining the F4 and X-Men universes.

He hasn't done anything decent in years. SR was ok but only because I've got a major bias towards Superman in general. But that movie had way too many issues and he pretty much ruined that franchise too. Hence why it got rebooted.

It actually got rebooted because he took forever to get started on the sequel. WB got tired of waiting and decided to reboot it with the help of Nolan. I personally liked SR a lot.

It actually got rebooted because he took forever to get started on the sequel. WB got tired of waiting and decided to reboot it with the help of Nolan. I personally liked SR a lot.

Yeah, and The Dark Knight has 6 villains.

Warner was never waiting on Singer to get started on the the sequel. SR, "underperformed" and in the words of Jeff Robinov, "Didn't position the movie for a sequel in the way we wanted."

Singer knew he wasn't getting a sequel. In fact he was "livid" about it and said at the time, "I don't know how 400 million is considered underperforming." But I'm sure you read that like everyone else did. They went with Nolan because of his success with Batman.

Don't make up "facts" to back up theories about movies you happen to like. It's cheap.

Yeah, and The Dark Knight has 6 villains.

Warner was never waiting on Singer to get started on the the sequel. SR, "underperformed" and in the words of Jeff Robinov, "Didn't position the movie for a sequel in the way we wanted."

Singer knew he wasn't getting a sequel. In fact he was "livid" about it and said at the time, "I don't know how 400 million is considered underperforming." But I'm sure you read that like everyone else did. They went with Nolan because of his success with Batman.

Don't make up "facts" to back up theories about movies you happen to like. It's cheap.

Actually the movie only “underperformed” because it was budgeted with the canceled Tim Burton Superman Lives film. Otherwise the movie would have made it’s money back, and it made more than Batman Begins did.

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114329

In addition, he mentions that "Man of Steel" was the title he was thinking of using for his sequel to Superman Returns and says the film's villain would have been Darkseid.

"That was the title. Actually, my buddy, one of my two best friends, came up with that...We did explore it a little. Just hammering out ideas. I think Darkseid was going to be the villain. It was pretty world-destroying, actually."

Singer also added why this film never got made, saying, like many films, it just went away.

"I ended up having the opportunity to go and make Valkyrie, and I think the studio lost interest at that point. I can't say it was all the studio's fault and I can't say it was all my fault. It just fizzled out."

Read more: Bryan Singer Talks Man of Steel, Superman Returns Sequel - ComingSoon.net https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114329#ixzz2zHM3nfdc
Follow us: @ComingSoonNet on Twitter | ComingSoon on Facebook

https://filmjunk.com/2008/01/04/bryan-singer-and-brandon-routh-off-superman-returns-sequel/

It still remains to be seen whether or not a Superman Returns sequel will head into production anytime soon, but if and when it does happen, it’s looking like it may be working with a few strikes against it. Word on the street is that director Bryan Singer will not be returning to helm the sequel, and his buddy Brandon Routh will not be reprising his role as The Man of Steel either. At some point last year there were similar rumblings that Singer had too many other projects in the works and that he was in no rush to tend to a Superman follow-up. Now Anne Thompson over at Variety has stated that it is “highly unlikely” he would return. After Valkyrie, his next movie will be the gay rights activist biopic The Mayor of Castro Street.

Soon after this report hit the web, the folks over at Latino Review chimed in with a statement that Brandon Routh was definitely not going to be involved in the next movie either. According to them, the red cape will continue to be worn by whoever scores the young Superman role in the Justice League movie. Considering that Routh was one of the few good things about Superman Returns, I don’t think this is particularly good news for the franchise. However, at the very least it would allow Warner Bros and DC to establish some continuity between the JLA flick and the next Superman movie. On the other hand, if another Superman sequel didn’t happen for a long time, I wouldn’t be overly disappointed either. Thoughts?

I don’t know what I made up, these are 2 stories throughout the years pretty much confirm what I said. Singer was too busy focusing on Valkyrie and was barely thinking of Superman, Marvel started dominating, WB decided to reboot the whole thing with Nolan due to his success with Batman.

Do your research next time, just coming here talking out your ass is cheap.

Last edited:
Really? I thought the cinematography was great, and there were some incredible shots, such as the Magneto lifting the submarine. In my opinion FC had the best action of the series, but I give Vaughn a lot of credit because FC was notorious for having production issues. The script was changed so many times, and they basically had to rush scenes out in order to finish by their due date. If Vaughn was given the budget, script, and time that Singer has had with DOFP, I think he would make an incredible film. He hasn’t made a bad movie yet, at least not commercially.

I like Singer as the series director and overseer, but I certainly think Vaughn is pretty talented, he also helped rewrite the script to FC, and I believe helped with the DOFP script.

I don’t want a reboot to the series mainly because they have such an awesome cast. A majority of the films have been good, and while theres some continuity issues, they look like they should be fixed with this movie.

Weird you think he’s a hack, but you have Brandon Routh’s Superman in your sig. I’m assuming you actually enjoyed that film.

I didn't think the cinematography was remarkable. It was just there. That was probably a stylistic choice they went with, and they are certainly entitled to it. But I feel like these movies need a little more visual interest. And the idea of the submarine and the missles, etc., are great, but the way they were shot did not create that sense of awe like how lifting the stadium does in the trailer for DOFP. That's what I mean that Vaughn doesn't have that extra little bit of skill or talent or whatever to give the audience that visual sense of awe.

And if what you say is true about him making things up on the fly and fixing the script, then I'll give him props for that. Like I said, he does have a good ability to get strong performances out of the actors and make you care about the characters.

I didn't think the cinematography was remarkable. It was just there. That was probably a stylistic choice they went with, and they are certainly entitled to it. But I feel like these movies need a little more visual interest. And the idea of the submarine and the missles, etc., are great, but the way they were shot did not create that sense of awe like how lifting the stadium does in the trailer for DOFP. That's what I mean that Vaughn doesn't have that extra little bit of skill or talent or whatever to give the audience that visual sense of awe.

And if what you say is true about him making things up on the fly and fixing the script, then I'll give him props for that. Like I said, he does have a good ability to get strong performances out of the actors and make you care about the characters.

Yea, most people felt FC was doomed because of all the production problems.

https://screenrant.com/january-jones-x-men-first-class-rushed-rob-101267/

“I think it was unrealistic for them to think they were going to make such a huge movie in whatever we had — two months or something. So of course we went over (schedule). I think I have a couple more days to shoot… We’re almost done. The fact we’ve had to push the wrap date but they haven’t moved the release date is really interesting to me. I guess they must know what they’re doing. I have a lot of faith in Matthew as a director and an editor; I think his movies are great. And I think they’ve been cutting as we’ve been going. We should be fine.”

https://www.reelz.com/movie-news/10...ion-script-process-and-possible-sequel-ideas/

Director Matthew Vaughn was a surprising choice to helm the upcoming X-Men prequel X-Men: First Class — Vaughn certainly had comic book movie experience, but was the original director for X-Men: First Stand before dropping out.

First Class originally had X-Men and X2: X-Men United director Bryan Singer on board to direct, but his commitment to another movie (Jack the Giant Killer) eventually forced Singer to step down as director (though he stayed on as producer), opening the door for Vaughn.

Vaughn inherited Singer's story and screenplay for First Class, but Vaughn's first order of business was to bring frequent collaborator Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Stardust) in to re-write the script. Despite the legal wrangling from previous screenwriters to get credit for the screenplay — Goldman, along with Thor screenwriters Zack Stentz and Ashley Edward Miller got scripting credit, and Singer and Sheldon Turner got story credit, while Singer's screenwriter Jamie Moss got left out entirely — Vaughn told HitFix that he and Goldman took the previous drafts and did a "total rewrite."

The story was there, but it didn't have what I thought was the fun, and the Bond-style stuff wasn't in there, and I said to Jane, "Let's start the film off with the exact scene from the first film." Jane and I just had a vision that we got out there as quickly as possible. We really respected Bryan's idea of the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis background.

Vaughn admitted that to Bleeding Cool that he wasn't sure how Turner got credit for the movie ("I was like 'Who the *****k is this guy??' but Hollywood has got it's own way of dealing with things," said the director) since it was Singer also came up with all of the characters that appear in First Class, with Vaughn and Goldman only eliminating one.

The X-Men we used were already chosen by Bryan and Fox. In the draft they gave me all of the characters were in there. We cut [the character of] Sunspot because we didn't have enough time or money. They couldn't make him work, he was a pain the ass.

Vaughn had just over a year to cast, shoot and edit his movie for next month's release date, which the director admitted his made shooting First Class a different experience from his previous movies, forcing Vaughn to be more of a "megalomaniac" that had to "take control" of the production's revolving door crew.

I got hardly any time to prep, had 5 DPs [directors of photography] on this film, four different ADs [assistant directors]. Every day I didn't know who my crew was. I was, "Hey, what do you do? Are you the DP??" It was good for me, because I'd so relied on my AD and DP, that little triumvirate when you make a film, but here I was sort of on my own, naked. At first it scared the hell out of me but I got used to it. I was, as a director, I feel far more confident after this one.

But is Vaughn confident enough to return for a possible First Class sequel? The early reviews, so far, have been excellent, and, should First Class become a success, Vaughn told HitFix that he would "definitely" come back for more, and already has an idea for the first scene of a potential sequel [SPOILER WARNING: the rest of Vaughn's responses may include details from the upcoming movie].

I've got some ideas for the opening for the next film. I thought it would be fun to open with the Kennedy Assassination, and we reveal that the magic bullet was controlled by Magneto. That would explain the physics of it, and we see that he's pissed off because Kennedy took all the credit for saving the world and mutants weren't even mentioned. And we could go from there, and I've got some fun ideas about what other mutants to bring in. I don't want to tempt fate, though. If the film's a hit, of course I'd be interested. I really enjoyed making it.

While Vaughn says he has some "fun ideas" for more mutants to include in a possible sequel, the director told MovieWeb that there wouldn't be too many characters added. In fact, Vaughn says there's really only one.

We will only have one more new character. I won't say who he...I won't say who he or she is! But we will only be bringing one more new character in. Because, I think, as Professor X is in a wheelchair, Magneto needs to have a nemesis he can fight with. Someone that will be his equal. I know who it is. It would be nice if I could say something, but I can't, mate!

Fans can find out what Vaughn has in mind for a sequel if First Class becomes a huge success next month.

Dressed as a priest to boot... what a scumbag! Alright I'm over it, burn the franchise down to smoke him out! :cuss

Yeah, that priest pict says volumes.
I guess he loved irony as much as he does white skinny underage boys.

Back