Worst/Weakest/Least Favorite Indy Movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worst/Weakest/Least Favorite Entry?

• Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Temple Of Doom

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • The Last Crusade

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Votes: 108 78.3%

• Total voters
Why does the Empire exist in the first three Star Wars movies? Because they're great villains. SW heroes fighting the Empire = good. SW heroes fighting the Pan-Galactic Trade Federation and League of Chartered Accountancy = Not so good.

Indy is a large scale hero. He needs a large scale adversary, and the Nazis fit that bill the best for the 'classic' Indy time frame (1930's and 40's).

The Empire of Japan would have also made a great period villain, but they'd have to walk too thin a line with modern sensibilities. Make a Japanese villian just a little too broad or have him chew too much scenery and you're looking at racism accusations. I think they ducked that one intentionally.

That's a different scenario though, because Indy was established as a globe-trotting character who would likely encounter different enemies throughout his varying adventures.

Watching over the series again, I remembered one thing about TLC that's pushed it closer to the bottom for me, which is the origin of Indy's iconic attire. Even as a kid it always bugged me tremendously how it's revealed that Indy essentially stole his look from someone else. Something about that really irks me and deducts a few points from TLC for me. Does that aspect bother anyone else?

I wouldn't say "stole", but more like "adopted" the style. I like to think that this experience had a huge impact on Indy and he adopted the look as a way of turning something negative into a positive. It was a career-defining moment. So that portion of identifying Indy's character doesn't bother me. But I do find that it's a bit over the top to learn why Indy hates snakes and gets the scar on his chin all in a quick serious of scenes at the beginning of the film. I would have preferred all of that to remain a mystery.

Watching over the series again, I remembered one thing about TLC that's pushed it closer to the bottom for me, which is the origin of Indy's iconic attire. Even as a kid it always bugged me tremendously how it's revealed that Indy essentially stole his look from someone else. Something about that really irks me and deducts a few points from TLC for me. Does that aspect bother anyone else?

I wouldn't say "stole", but more like "adopted" the style. I like to think that this experience had a huge impact on Indy and he adopted the look as a way of turning something negative into a positive.

I guess it makes sense to look at it that way. I still dislike the revelation though and for me it kind of takes away the character's coolness.

Thinking about it now, it does seem strange that he would take to dressing like that grave robber he faced for just a few minutes that "fateful" day in 1912. I GUESS it could have left an indelible mark on young Indy since he developed his fear of snakes, his scar and his whip all on the same day. :rolleyes2

But it would be very cool if that guy was really Indy's true mentor, and after this encounter, Indy latches on to him and they form a bond that Indy and his real father never had. Indy learns all the swashbuckling adventure style of archaeology from the mysterious stranger, and his book knowledge of archaeology from his father. The mystery guy shows that he liked Indy's gumption, so it's perfectly feasible that they would have ended up being partners, especially since his own crew of young helpers turned out to be so inept.

Hell, I'd like to see that as the new Indy reboot! Young Indiana Jones, but being mentored by the mystery guy who is the surrogate Harrison Ford!

Interesting concept! Especially since he catches up with the man in the panama hat later in life. Perhaps a partnership would have helped him track down the Cross of Coronado. Thinking about it, I'd like to have seen a bit of his effort to find the Cross after all those years. I always wondered in Raiders if he ever got the fertility idol back.

Mad Old Lu;5379763 But it would be very cool if that guy was really Indy's true mentor said:
that[/I] as the new Indy reboot! Young Indiana Jones, but being mentored by the mystery guy who is the surrogate Harrison Ford!

Thinking about it now, it does seem strange that he would take to dressing like that grave robber he faced for just a few minutes that "fateful" day in 1912. I GUESS it could have left an indelible mark on young Indy since he developed his fear of snakes, his scar and his whip all on the same day. :rolleyes2

But it would be very cool if that guy was really Indy's true mentor, and after this encounter, Indy latches on to him and they form a bond that Indy and his real father never had. Indy learns all the swashbuckling adventure style of archaeology from the mysterious stranger, and his book knowledge of archaeology from his father. The mystery guy shows that he liked Indy's gumption, so it's perfectly feasible that they would have ended up being partners, especially since his own crew of young helpers turned out to be so inept.

Hell, I'd like to see that as the new Indy reboot! Young Indiana Jones, but being mentored by the mystery guy who is the surrogate Harrison Ford!

If it had been done that way I wouldn't have minded it so much, since it would make sense for him to adopt the look after someone who'd been a mentor to him. But the way it is in TLC, it makes it look like he flat-out stole the look.

I wouldn't say "stole", but more like "adopted" the style. I like to think that this experience had a huge impact on Indy and he adopted the look as a way of turning something negative into a positive. It was a career-defining moment. So that portion of identifying Indy's character doesn't bother me. But I do find that it's a bit over the top to learn why Indy hates snakes and gets the scar on his chin all in a quick serious of scenes at the beginning of the film. I would have preferred all of that to remain a mystery.

And I love the cut scene with the hat.

When the relic hunter puts his hat on young indy and indy raises his head as the older man on the ship.

Who is to say that's where Indy for his fear of snakes? Maybe he already didn't like snakes and freaked when he fell in that car with them. Besides, anyone would have freaked out.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

When the relic hunter puts his hat on young indy and indy raises his head as the older man on the ship.
:lol I thought you meant "a scene that was cut" when you said cut scene!

Who is to say that's where Indy for his fear of snakes? Maybe he already didn't like snakes and freaked when he fell in that car with them. Besides, anyone would have freaked out.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

They were careful to illustrate that Indy was not afraid of snakes when he and his friend first come across the relic hunter crew. As he's telling his friend to find help, his friend starts freaking out about a snake on his lap. Indy takes the snake and says "it's only a snake" as he tosses it aside.

I'm still shocked that ROTLA has 7 votes, but I'm surprised to see TOD doesn't have that many. It's no shock at all KOTCS is leading by a landslide.

The way Indy's fear of snakes in TLC is revealed bugs me a little. I can understand him freaking out when he fell in the box full of them, but I would think a more harsh experience would've caused the fear, like getting bit by one that was poisonous or almost being squeezed by a large constrictor type snake.

Back