1/6 With new pricing firmly in place, how many of you are out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With new pricing firmed up, are you done?

• Price is too much too fast, quality is not proven

Votes: 80 54.4%
  • Price is acceptable for what is offered

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Havent decided, will wait for more releases/prices to form a better opinion

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
I used to buy every sw character. But with these prices i'll focus on the upcoming hot toys. Will get r2 and maaayyybe 3po, but i think although sideshows quality is getting better, their prices rise faster than the quality. Sadly, will skip luke, tie pilot and the biker scout. Have the scout on pre-order but since the bike is over my budget i'll cancel that too. With the uncertain times of holding a job i need to think about my wife and kids first.

Best,

Robert

I'm 90% out, sadly. Price is too high. i dropped 90% of hot toys when they hit this threshold, and became EXTREMELY picky. doing the same with sideshow now.

When 1/6 becomes the price of 1/4 I'll be out. Just waiting for the next SW announcement. It has the edge now over all else. Think of it:

'New headsculpt with authentic and fully realized likeness of Alec Guinness as Ben Kenobi in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope'

What's "firmly in place?" Did the TIE Pilot get announced with a ridiculous price tag too? Luke seems to be the only SSC figure I've seen that seemed outrageous. The Han and Chewie seem like normal HT prices these days.

I was done collecting 1/6 SW when SSC took over and charged $40 a figure. Don't plan on starting but I do like to look at the current releases as they come. The X-Wing Luke looks amazing. But the price is mind boggling high.

Last edited:
What's "firmly in place?" Did the TIE Pilot get announced with a ridiculous price tag too? Luke seems to be the only SSC figure I've seen that seemed outrageous. The Han and Chewie seem like normal HT prices these days.

I was done collecting 1/6 SW when SSC took over and charged $40 a figure. Don't plan on starting but I do like to look at the current releases as they come. The X-Wing Luke looks amazing. But the price is mind boggling high.

For $230 and an exclusive arm, I'd say Threepio's price clearly shows the direction SS is headed.

If we are talking Sideshow, I'm out until they can prove they produce figures of this quality.
:lecture
While I selected the first option in the pool (too much too fast, w/o proven quality) I'm still not out.

I'm just moving more into the "selective" category... X-Wing Luke is a figure I really, really want; but for the price amount included I just can't justify $240. But with C-3PO even though he's about as bare-bones as you can get I see more value in him being a unique body and all the R&D that went into him, even though I'm sure he'll be re-used a few times.

So I'm still a supporter of the Sideshow series, but I will pass on some exclusives now and just wait for either a good deal from Sideshow (like they did this year with Spook) or buy one after the secondary market prices dip.
:lecture

Sideshow has only ever proven they are wildly inconsistent from proto to production. Until the can prove otherwise I have no expectations of buying much from Sideshow in the future.

I'm out on some characters and maybe in on others. I'm out on X-Wing Luke unless I can get a good deal on him. Anything prequel related is out of the question at these prices. Leia, Walrusman, Royal Guard, Ree Yees are most likely going to be purchased, but I'll be looking to save money any way I can and grumble about the prices.

I'm just going to cut out any and all figures that aren't Star Wars.

Except Arkham City. And Ichabod Crane. And Malcolm Reynolds.

And Gotham PF's. But, that's it.

Price won't knock me out of the hobby, but I'm slowly accumulating most of what I'm interested in. After that, it'll just be a matter of grabbing the odd SW or Marvel character, along with 2.0/3.0s of characters I already have, so long as it's a big jump in detail. I'm not a fan at all of buying figures from newer properties, either, so my interest will definitely be pretty limited once certain SW and Marvel stuff is eventually made.

Tamashii C-3PO actually, & HT Bespin Luke before that.

Neither of those are sideshow, though, and are both well beyond the new pricing everyone is freaking out over. :lol
Isn't the new price jump just on Sideshow figures so far? None of the HT figure prices seemed all that surprising and Chewbacca seems like a bargain.

For me the new prices have made me decide on what I can stop collecting and to focus on lines that I really enjoy. Star Wars OT is at the top of my list and that will also be filtered to main characters and essential/iconic troops/droids/bounty hunters. Hobby has gotten very expensive and space can be limited. And based on this year's spooktacular, many of these items that I jumped to preorder never sold out and went on sale. So if there are other figs that I want, I can always hope that there's a 50/50 chance their prices will drop. It's a slap in the face to pay full price then to see an item go on sale w/ double RP. Crazy fun hobby.

Back