1/6 With new pricing firmly in place, how many of you are out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With new pricing firmed up, are you done?

• Price is too much too fast, quality is not proven

Votes: 80 54.4%
  • Price is acceptable for what is offered

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Havent decided, will wait for more releases/prices to form a better opinion

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
The aus dollar may affect that too with a $50 difference to the us asking price vrs the our dollar, if it drops to 55c where it was years a ago a $230 figure turns into
$450 plus the postage

I'm close to being out. I want to see what these prices will be getting me, but thus far I'm not impressed. I will of course pick up the occasional figure that I really desire, but mostly I refuse to pay these new prices. My first Sideshow figure was Kit Fisto back in 2006, and I believe he was $59.99 or something along those lines. Now, these figures are starting out at $200+. No thanks.

Im not out but I know exactly what I want out of HT and Sideshow and once those are out I'm done with those two companies. Ill stick to DID WWII figures. Even those I'll be mighty picky about.

I am pretty much all but out. I find myself not purchasing items that I would have in the past based solely on the "cool factor"
I had a very eclectic collection with bits from all genres, but now I am forced to stick to my main lines only and even then that is only for my most loved characters
I;E star wars , I had everything SS put out. now I haven't purchased anything since the rex 1/6. And short of them doing something truly impressive at the new price point I believe I am out
Its a true shame , I loved this hobby and have been doing it since SS universal monsters. But I fear with the growing prices , there will be shrinking collector's. turning this truly into a high end niche market.

Selective is the offspring of increased prices. Who buys Chewbacca without Han or R2 D2 without C3PO? I'll tell you people who have to make decisions. Also the more you add to a figure the more the buyer can justify price. Red 5 Luke is not even considered in my selection. Makes you wonder how much SS Vader would have sold for today.

I've already been on the way out for the past few months. Sold a ton of stuff. Figured it would be better to get the best of the items out there, and with prices headed this direction, I think it's the best way for me.

I am pretty much out, I sold most all of the ones I had. I have Jabba setup still ( not sure how much longer it will last) and have R2-D2 on order only because its R2-D2 and will join all his big and lil brothers.

I have also had thoughts of passing on this release and using the $150 towards Ripley (whenever that is released). Human likenesses are always going to be more impressive. That's how selective I have become having already passed on BD T-800 (owning three others TN, DX10 and DX13) and using those funds for Robocop ( a license that's not represented in my display)

Chewie, R2, and 3PO are going to be purchased. After that I'm going to be very selective. While I enjoy my collection sometimes I look and shake my head at how much money is on the shelf.

So many characters I just don't care about like I once did - passed on Marty, will pass on Ripley, Beetljuice etc. Once I've got the Star Wars core characters I think I'll be a single figure-per-year collector.

Even the ht troopers haven't really stirred me, got me thinking my marmits will do, and I've only had 3 purchases this year, Vader, ed 209 and robocop

I'm out. Just finished cancelling the R2 and 3PO pre-orders. 3PO's price point was an insult, regardless of who's responsible... (Disney license, cost of petroleum, labor costs in China, etc...) At these quickly rising price points, this collection just isn't fun anymore.

The pricing of the speederbike and scout trooper killed it for me... just not worth it anymore. Han and Chewie look great, but not worth it for the $$$ to me right now either.

It doesn't seem to me that Hot Toys prices have increased dramatically since the 3 years I've been collecting. Sideshow on the other hand, I don't know how they got from darth vader being 249 to xwing Luke being 239. I didn't feel to bad about the Hoth Luke and Han prices. I was disappointed when i saw the price of the speeder bike...

It doesn't seem to me that Hot Toys prices have increased dramatically since the 3 years I've been collecting. Sideshow on the other hand, I don't know how they got from darth vader being 249 to xwing Luke being 239. I didn't feel to bad about the Hoth Luke and Han prices. I was disappointed when i saw the price of the speeder bike...
I actually agree in regards to Hot Toys. Certain characters seem to command higher prices (Ledger Joker, Iron Man figures, Predator figures) but I really haven't noticed a drastic increase in the few years I've been collecting. It seems like since I've been doing so pricing has been on average anywhere from $200-$230 for a standar MMS figure. With some exceptions that still seems about in line with current pricing to me.

Sideshow definitely seems like they've raised prices pretty drastically over a short period of time. I also think the problem they run into is that with human characters they haven't proved themselves really like others have mentioned. So to price a figure like X-Wimg Luke at $240 with no accessories is crazy. I want that figure and if the final product looks good I may get it with a coupon but I dunno. Of course there are outside factors going into pricing we don't realize but the jump is pretty big in a short time.

As much as i hate to say it, if ssc charged 250 at the start of the year for grevious, with all of his research and development since around 2011, why are so many collectors on here overwhelmed that 3-po would fall in a similar price bracket. Grevious definately has more articulation and accessories, but it's taken all this time, approx 8 years, for sideshow to be ready to release 3-po. I imagine a great deal of engineering has been invested in him before he ever saw the light of day, and so, would be reflected in his pricing.
R2 almost seems like a steal now, especially with some rewards thrown toward him, and as some have said, was the 'baited hook' for us hungry collectors.

Still not out of this hobby, but will try to focus mainly on characters that i enjoy.
The pricing on general human figures, i believe, is where the issue lies.

Back