1/6 With new pricing firmly in place, how many of you are out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With new pricing firmed up, are you done?

• Price is too much too fast, quality is not proven

Votes: 80 54.4%
  • Price is acceptable for what is offered

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Havent decided, will wait for more releases/prices to form a better opinion

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
I decided to go all in on Hoth but I could see myself minimizing at some point to make room for some other great figures down the line. It really comes down to how good Han and Luke come out. If they're both as good as prototype I'll likely end up keeping both. If they both stink, I could just stick with the Imperials--probe, snowtroopers and e-web. Ideally Han would hang with Chewie and the Probe droid ready to blow it to bits.

I don't want everything, but I do get scenarios in my head. For instance, I'd like all the Sideshow Hoth pieces. But I probably won't be able to swing it when they are released, or at least won't feel good about using that amount of money towards them. I totally acknowledge that's MY problem. But it's how I feel, so I'd rather not be frustrated. I'll continue to admire these pieces from afar and maybe I'll come around. But for now I'm just being realistic.

I myself love Hoth also but will also be giving them up most likely. I can't justify Luke, Han, inevitable Leia, Snowtrooper, Probot. Too much just to cover the Snow Location. But I could see maybe getting one piece -- like I have the Snowtrooper -- to represent that place.

I'd like to get Luke Hoth but even if the sculpt is good, its useless to use anywhere else because the inner cap is sculpted on.

I decided to go all in on Hoth but I could see myself minimizing at some point to make room for some other great figures down the line. It really comes down to how good Han and Luke come out. If they're both as good as prototype I'll likely end up keeping both. If they both stink, I could just stick with the Imperials--probe, snowtroopers and e-web. Ideally Han would hang with Chewie and the Probe droid ready to blow it to bits.

I think it's a safe assumption that Hoth is the favorite scene in the OT. The characters, vehicles, beasts all fit perfectly into the environment. I won't go 1/6 for Hoth as I already have several of the GG pieces, but I will get Han if he comes out as good as SS makes him look in the promo pics. Blue coat of course.

As for picking and choosing HT, Vader vs. Kenobi, Threepio w/ Artoo and/or Han, Luke & Leia would all make great displays.

It's a simple consideration of space and desire.
I don't have room for every 1/6th figure I might.. kinda want anyway.
And I wouldn't want to tie up that kind of cash in them anymore.

HT just aren't collectible anymore. It's hard to get your money back out of them because they make so damn many of them. You usually lose a little money even if its MISB after fees and other ****. I also feel that they don't offer the same quality that people give them credit for. My silver centurion smelled of cheap paint and didn't look very good so I sold it right away.

From now on it has to be a big, big figure for me to consider.

I don't need 2 Stormtroopers, but I would like a nice Vader or Fett.

I'll probably buy 3 to 4 a year at most... maybe not even that many.

It's hard to get your money back out of them ...

You're not really a collector. Just a 1/6th enthusiast.

I can't fathom the amount of money lost on all those people who collected Sideshow Star Wars figures and have multiples still sealed in the box in their garage. As valuable as the old Hasbro 3 3/4" figures.

I myself love Hoth also but will also be giving them up most likely. I can't justify Luke, Han, inevitable Leia, Snowtrooper, Probot. Too much just to cover the Snow Location. But I could see maybe getting one piece -- like I have the Snowtrooper -- to represent that place.

I'd like to get Luke Hoth but even if the sculpt is good, its useless to use anywhere else because the inner cap is sculpted on.

It was difficult even before the price jump to even consider getting everything, not that I'd ever want everything. I'd ideally like to have a handful of characters from each of the 3 original films. Vader, the various OT troops and Luke/Han/Leia from each film. Just those and you're already talking big space and big money.

I can't fathom the amount of money lost on all those people who collected Sideshow Star Wars figures and have multiples still sealed in the box in their garage. As valuable as the old Hasbro 3 3/4" figures.

I'm a collector, just not a completionist. I also wouldn't speculate on sealed toys these days. I just don't sink money into dead stock because I know how the toy industry works now. There is always a better version around the corner, just wait - especially with 1/6th stuff and the way Hot Toys does another version. If anything is ever hot, you have to sell it at that moment, because it will never be worth that again. If I can get double my money for anything I usually sell it, because I know a better version is coming... and thus I can buy two.

For example some of the Iron Man Marks were hitting 400+ before the diecast line was announced. You could have sold it at the time and made a bit of cash, or kept it and sold it at a loss.

The old hasbro 3 3/4 figures are valuable because people didn't "collect" in any form or fashion back then. They were JUST toys for kids. That's why they are valuable. That would never happen with sideshow or HT's. Also, Sideshow doesn't quite fit the criteria for a valuable collectible. It may be rare in some cases, but not as desired. I don't think casual collectors are as draw to SS as Hot Toys for various reasons.

Hot Toys would sometimes be expensive when there was a high demand and no product at the time, but that never happens anymore because, as I mentioned, they make so many.

Last edited:
It really depends on the character that HT choose to visit every time.eg iron man I to XII ....,capt america, terminator i feel
For revisit character Price sometime will go higher after the release just because you miss the PO , but it will go down overtime.
and for product that HT choose not to revisit: eg davy jones, hans lada, leonidas the price will go higher.
i agree when you collect toys because you want To collect it and if our hobby will turn profit it will be a Bonus.

The moment we as collectors realize we cannot have everything out there, then we can try to focus on the collectible we REALLY want in our collections, and thus start to save for each of those. Besides the limited budget issue, there is the limited display space issue as well for most of us. I think the words of the day are "focus" and "save"

Exactly... there is no more money in collecting anymore. There are a few gems in 1/6th world (but most are in statues).

It was difficult even before the price jump to even consider getting everything, not that I'd ever want everything. I'd ideally like to have a handful of characters from each of the 3 original films. Vader, the various OT troops and Luke/Han/Leia from each film. Just those and you're already talking big space and big money.

I've struggled with curating a 1/6 Star Wars collection; down to 7 iterations of characters but with troop multiples and I still feel it's a little too much. Time will tell; Hot Toys makes some tempting product but I really believe less is more.

Decisions are based on aesthetics, nostalgia, space and cost...I imagine that in the end I'll sell off some and keep only the very best, but I also believe that taking a loss on these pieces is almost guaranteed. Sometimes I break even, but this is a spend-y hobby.

Bespin concept art is my favorite. Hoth is dear because I grew up with lots of snow, and Tatooine is classic because it all began there. Dagobah is the heart of Star Wars mysticism and Endor is the finale (also dear because when there was no snow in my childhood, there was green forest). I have a hard time picking favorites.

I grew up with a lot of snow too, so ditto. Tatooine was burned into my early childhood memories. I remember playing outside and both environments translated well ... in an age before advanced, ubiquitous computer games. I'm such an old nerd...LOL.

Bespin concept art is my favorite. Hoth is dear because I grew up with lots of snow, and Tatooine is classic because it all began there. Dagobah is the heart of Star Wars mysticism and Endor is the finale (also dear because when there was no snow in my childhood, there was green forest). I have a hard time picking favorites.
Man, I love all the locales too.. but yeah, the first film will always be my fave - especially the first third.

I have been contemplating this thread and the price issue........here are my personal conclusions for myself only:

For me price is not the issue.............................the issue is value for dollar spent. Meaning............for what I am paying for the figure am I really getting the value, or am I settling.

I think that whether the price of the figure is $100 or $350 the question is still the same.

Traditionally SS figures are a lower product standard than HT but the prices of the SS product usually reflected that market. Now with the supposed Disney rate increase the question is re-evaluated and I ask this:

"Do I settle for a SS product.......................at the same price as HT...................or do I wait in hopes for HT to release the same figure and "really get my monies worth?" Now with HT already showing their "stuff" in the SW 1/6 community coming out very strong with major characters......it wouldnt bother me to wait and see what happens. There will be PLENTY of SS figures both new and old on the market so there is no rush to buy their product.

For me the answer is very simple.............................if sideshow or HT, or whomever company produced a figure that I feel warrants the price tag then I will buy it. If not.....I wont.

With HT now in the SW 1/6 game I believe that SS will flounder and in the distant future they may simply focus on larger format figures. SS to date has not released a figure (with minor exceptions) that warrant a $250 price tag. So time will tell.

What?

What true value is there in gold or diamonds? Value is assigned.

So start marking up your tastes. :)

I was referring to my impression if the amount I am paying equals the quality and satisfaction I would receive with the item. Not the intrinsic value, it's extrinsic I was referring too.

Back