Will The Hobbit make more $ than Avengers or TDKR?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tricky question ...

I think it will pretty handily top TDKR domestically and overseas. (Especially with the 3D ticket price bump.)

Can it top Avengers domestically? I think it's gonna be tough. Even with the ticket premiums. (Though I doubt the HFR ticket price bump will be a huge factor since there are only going to be about 100 screens in the world showing it at 48fps. 3D will help, HFR probably won't. At least not so much.) I think beating Avengers domestically will be a long shot.

But internationally? They've got a shot there. That's where these movies will really make their bank. Remember, Middle-Earth is a HUGE draw internationally. The box office breakdown on the LOTR trilogy was approximately $1.9B coming from international territories with "only" $1B coming from the US. That's almost double. (Give or take a few hundred mill!)

I would think that trend would only grow. Especially given that it's got an international cast, crew and source material. In fact, in the last ten years the international markets have only grown.

Superhero movies are hugely popular, of course, but traditionally until recently they haven't done quite as well outside the U.S.

So while I don't think Hobbit 1 will beat Avengers in the states, I think it has a chance to beat it's worldwide totals because it will do better internationally. Either way, I think it's gonna be close.

Just my two cents.

I think that THE HOBBIT will probably beat TDKR, but I think it will be hard pressed to surpass THE AVENGERS simply due to the fact that it's being released around the holidays and, even though the LOTR trilogy was a fairly "recent" release, this is 2012 and people these days seem to have less free time to watch a movie than they used to...

We shall see but I'm more than confident that I am right.

Until you're proven wrong. :lol

I understand that point of view, new sometimes is great AKA Avengers/Avatar etc...sometimes Dec is great for the blockbuster Like the 3 LOTR films, Titanic and Avatar,etc...less competition too, plus "Hey it's cold outside let's go to the movies"

Yeah, I don't even think Avengers 2 will beat Avengers. It was the first time we saw a successful superhero team movie based on an existing franchise. Everything said it shouldn't have worked and it worked in spades. Lightning in a bottle.

The Hobbit will be giving more new than Avengers. Aside from Bilbo, Gandalf, Legolas and Galadriel all characters are new.

Avengers featured all characters we've seen on-screen before, even the villain, only new character was that Maria Hill woman :dunno

Having had the misfortune of reading everything you've written about Avengers and why you disliked it as well as the other movies in the Marvel franchise, this is yet another post confirming you're absolutely clueless when it comes to Marvel's cinematic universe. My "new" remark had nothing at all to do with the characters, and everything to do with the concept.

All of these films will be forgotten when 2015 EP7 comes around...BOOOYAHHHHH.lol

Seriously...ALL are great films on their own merit.
All 3 mentioned in the poll were ALL and are anticipated by everyone who is a lover of pop culture.
I know in Australia the Hobbit will blow anything previously shown this year out of the water due to the fact it is opening here on Boxing day,historically known for breaking records at the Box Office...
So,i think it will Internationally-but in the US i think it will be close..but no cigar.

Its possible the chance that I am but I'm quite confident I won't be.

Again, there's no doubt it'll be successful, and you already know I'm in for a couple viewings, but I don't think it's gonna have the same pull with families. Kids won't be able to sit through it like they did Avengers and that's going to account for a substantial hit.

I don't know.

I think it might be a better film than Avengers and TDKR though, especially ****ing TDKR.

Bet it's as fun for kids and adults alike just like Avengers was. Something for everyone. Who knows how it will turn out financially. I know I'm pretty excited though. Avengers was a unique phenomenon, I had a lot of fun with it. Maybe this will be too.

It's not like it matters, the sequels are already guaranteed, they've already been shot. :lol

Ignoring the fact that it's directly linked to one of the greatest trilogies of all time, the HFR 3D will be a big draw card for places that are equipped. Beating out Avengers is ambitious but I think it's doable.

The biggest criticisms of the film will come from the Tolkien fanatics that ignore all the positives and write-off the entire film based on a few inconsistencies.

But they'll still see it.

I think it will do better overseas than Avengers did, but I doubt it will do better here. I know quite a few people who saw The Avengers and have no desire to see The Hobbit.

Well TDKR will obviously remain the best film of the year.

fow yeewww

You'd put TDKR above your unborn children, and your children's children and not think twice about it! You'd give your lovely wife away if it meant courting teh great Noland!

The Avengers is quite overrated and i believe The Hobbit will be a much more enjoyable experience from all aspects though, most likely will not take in as much $$$ as Avengers but, i don't care about that ****..the worst music being made today takes in mega $$$ and this is because of common people that have bad taste in various media usually.

Again, there's no doubt it'll be successful, and you already know I'm in for a couple viewings, but I don't think it's gonna have the same pull with families. Kids won't be able to sit through it like they did Avengers and that's going to account for a substantial hit.

I understand that. Its shorter than any of the LOTR movies though and already much shorter than ROTK which made 1.1 billion dollars 9 years ago. So you factor it being shorter, IMAX, 3D, price changes, the wait of lots of people waiting for it, etc. I just feel very confident in that this movie is going to do very very well at the BO.

Back