Will The Hobbit make more $ than Avengers or TDKR?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think this will, I think it'll top out around 800 million and the sequels will pass the billion dollar mark. I don't believe the hobbit has the wide spread appeal that batman and avengers does. But I could be naive and could be very wrong.

I don't think this will, I think it'll top out around 800 million and the sequels will pass the billion dollar mark. I don't believe the hobbit has the wide spread appeal that batman and avengers does. But I could be naive and could be very wrong.

Alot of folks worldwide have seen LOTR and loved it including making more folks getting into the books..This will kick ass...more than 800 mill...as long as this doesnt suck it will kill...500 million budget for this trilogy will get WB 3 to 4 billion or more easily Worldwide with films, video sales, toys,books,props,statues, merchandise etc...again as long as it doesnt suck it will achieve those numbers

Last edited:
The last movie based on Middle-earth made over a billion dollars and at the time was the #2 movie. We're 9 years later with higher prices, IMAX, and 3D factored in. Also, you've got to factor in the demand which I think is there to see this fictional world on the big screen again with fans like myself figuring a good 5-6 viewings in. I think this easily tops TDKR and I think with WW help makes it to at worst #3.

I know alot of people who aren't regular movie goers who are going to see this, but I am wondering if there will be many repeat watchers.

I don't think repeat watchers will be a problem. I think this is going to be the biggest hit of the year.

Easily.

It's so popular around here that so many people i know, work with and even know vaguely want to see it with me, so it's definately the most anticipated film of the year!

Why? :dunno I think he's right.

I don't think so at all. I'm even willing to say I guarantee I'm right.

Says the Freaks with Tolkien avy/sigs. I don't think it'll beat Avengers, only because it's not really giving us anything new. I think they'll be great, there's no doubt about that, but it won't bump Avengers. Again, TDKR, maybe.

Says the Freaks with Tolkien avy/sigs. I don't think it'll beat Avengers, only because it's not really giving us anything new. I think they'll be great, there's no doubt about that, but it won't bump Avengers. Again, TDKR, maybe.

We shall see but I'm more than confident that I am right.

I understand that point of view, new sometimes is great AKA Avengers/Avatar etc...sometimes Dec is great for the blockbuster Like the 3 LOTR films, Titanic and Avatar,etc...less competition too, plus "Hey it's cold outside let's go to the movies"

thenammagazine said:

The Hobbit will be giving more new than Avengers. Aside from Bilbo, Gandalf, Legolas and Galadriel all characters are new.

Avengers featured all characters we've seen on-screen before, even the villain, only new character was that Maria Hill woman :dunno

The Hobbit will be giving more new than Avengers. Aside from Bilbo, Gandalf, Legolas and Galadriel all characters are new.

Avengers featured all characters we've seen on-screen before, even the villain, only new character was that Maria Hill woman :dunno

I love LOTR and Hobbit as well. Read them when I was 12, never thought they would get made as movies, at least not made well. When I saw that first trailer, of the Fellowship walking up over the Hill, I had a tear in my eye. I was incredibly excited.

That being said, I just don't see this movie making as much as Avengers. Before Avengers came out, I knew it would be huge, comic book fans are rabid for this. Think about it, you have Thor, Ironman, Hulk, and Captain America fans all dying to see this one movie. It is self contained (i.e. no necessary sequels) runs about 2 hours, and is non-stop action playing during the summer when every kid between 4 and 64 would see it numerous times.

As much of a following that LOTR and JRR Tolkien have, it just cant compare.

Don't get me wrong, it will do huge business, and deserves to, but it just wont make it to surpass Avengers Box Office.

1.2 Billion I say, maybe 1.3. I could be wrong, but I dont think I am. The only real wild card in this is if HFR is a huge hit and everybody feels they must see the movie in HFR, much like people had to see Avatar in 3D.

Back