Why hasn't Bale been praised for Batman role in TDK?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back to the subject matter, I know bale isn't going to get a nomination, but why hasn't he been nominated yet? I mean especially for the machinist, his portrayal of trevor reznik was really good.

When I first watched TDK, I didn't quite like the new costume too, too busy and not very classic. But subsequent viewings reinforced the strength of the new suit. It is a very Nolan's world Batman suit that works in his world.

Nolan said in interviews that the suit was purposely design for the interrogation scene because the old suit will not stand up to scrutiny under the bright lighting condition in that scene and I agree.

The old suit works well in dark, half lit or barely lit situations, the one piece and bulky design, panther neck cowl, and huge cape adding to the mythical quality of the Batman persona. But in bright conditions? It looks a little silly actually.

The new design makes sense because it's very modern, very military and special forces like, and intimidating in a real world way.

I read before that SWAT or any other special forces costumes (which are quite busy and complicated also) were designed that way because the designs (the headgear, gasmasks, etc, etc and the choice of colours strike fear in men when used in hostage rescues, raids, etc, etc situations.

back to the subject matter, I know bale isn't going to get a nomination, but why hasn't he been nominated yet? I mean especially for the machinist, his portrayal of trevor reznik was really good.

It'll happen Venny, given the right role in the right film.

Bale Award Record thus far...

Christian Bale
Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
2006 Won Saturn Award Best Actor
for: Batman Begins (2005)

2005 Nominated Saturn Award Best Actor
for: Maquinista, El (2004)

Chlotrudis Awards
2001 Won Chlotrudis Award Best Actor
for: American Psycho (2000)

Empire Awards, UK
2007 Nominated Empire Award Best Actor
for: The Prestige (2006)

2006 Nominated Empire Award Best Actor

2001 Nominated Empire Award Best British Actor

European Film Awards
2005 Nominated Audience Award Best Actor

Independent Spirit Awards
2008 Won Robert Altman Award
for: I'm Not There. (2007)
Shared with:
Todd Haynes (director)
Laura Rosenthal (casting director)
Cate Blanchett
Richard Gere
Heath Ledger
Ben Whishaw
Marcus Carl Franklin
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Bruce Greenwood

Irish Film and Television Awards
2005 Nominated Audience Award Best International Actor

London Critics Circle Film Awards
2008 Nominated ALFS Award British Actor of the Year
for: 3:10 to Yuma (2007)

2007 Nominated ALFS Award British Actor of the Year
for: The Prestige (2006)

2006 Nominated ALFS Award British Actor of the Year

2001 Nominated ALFS Award British Actor of the Year

MTV Movie Awards
2006 Won MTV Movie Award Best Hero

National Board of Review, USA
1987 Won NBR Award Best Juvenile Performance
for: Empire of the Sun (1987)

Online Film Critics Society Awards
2001 Nominated OFCS Award Best Actor

San Diego Film Critics Society Awards
2007 Won Special Award
Also for I'm Not There. (2007) and Rescue Dawn (2006).
For the body of work.

Satellite Awards
2007 Nominated Satellite Award Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
for: Rescue Dawn (2006)

Screen Actors Guild Awards
2008 Nominated Actor Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Shared with:
Russell Crowe
Peter Fonda
Gretchen Mol
Dallas Roberts
Vinessa Shaw
Ben Foster
Alan Tudyk
Logan Lerman

Sitges - Catalonian International Film Festival
2004 Won Best Actor

Young Artist Awards
1994 Nominated Young Artist Award Outstanding Youth Ensemble in a Motion Picture
for: Swing Kids (1993)
Shared with:
Robert Sean Leonard
David Tom
Frank Whaley

1993 Nominated Young Artist Award Outstanding Young Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture
for: Newsies (1992)
Shared with:
David Moscow
Luke Edwards
Max Casella
Marty Belafsky
Arvie Lowe Jr.
Aaron Lohr
Trey Parker
Gabriel Damon
Shon Greenblatt
Ele Keats

1989 Won Young Artist Award Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
for: Empire of the Sun (1987)

My only quarrel with his performance is that the Batman voice is over-done at some points, sometimes so much that it's comical and it brings me out of the movie.

On a completely different note, "Chlotrudis Award"? Sounds like a particularly embarrassing urinary tract infection.

I can agree there, I do think it works for this incarnation, but it does leave it self open to being mocked

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i318.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=https://vid318.photobucket.com/albums/mm406/Flabbergastedly123/batmandeleted.flv"></embed>

He should've been nominated for Batman Begins...but like it was said, he was NOT the focus of this movie...it was clearly the Joker more so and Nolan's "theme" of the movie.

I still think Bale did a fantastic job...but he's played this character before, if he didn't get the nomination for Begins, he's surely not going to get it for TDK unless there was something really amazing he pulled off.

As for the suit, Nolan's Batman is grounded in reality. In reality, the Batmobile would have to be a tank to get around everywhere like it does in the comics and in reality, Batman would have to be an armored superhero like he is to do everything that he does. I love the TDK suit and I feel it is appropriate in every sense of a "real world" Batman. Yes perhaps the design could've been different and/or better...but it looks great.

Are some of you actually serious about a nomination for playing batman? :lol Ledger on the other hand WILL be nominated, why? because his performance was exactly what a commitee of the academy awards would look for, he should even win too.

An actor is rewarded for a role when there is something beyond special involved, Bale is an excellent actor but far from even being nominated for his performance in TDK.

However that all being said his BEST performance would be from "Empire of the sun" and he was just a little kid then.

TDK - Ledger = Batman Returns, Spiderman 3, Hulk 2003, X-men, etc. Good film to watch in Imax but mediocre without Ledger and not worthy of any other praise after that.

Ledger MADE the film x10, Nolan did an excellent job but picture Terminator 1 & 2 without Arnold.

Bale's performances:

the machinist : unbelievably good.

The Dark Knight : Boring as shat

I have to admit when I first saw Batman Begins, I wasn't really feeling Bale as Wayne or Bats since I was so used to how he was portrayed in the animated series and the first Batman movie. It wasn't untill I went back and re-read and really try to understand GN's like The Killing Joke, Long Halloween etc that I began to appreciate the darker Batman. And after watching BB a second I began to really appreciate Bale's take on Bats so much so that he bacame my favorite Batman to date. I even began to appreciate his Bat voice since to me, his voice sound like what Batman would sound like if he were real. I agree Bale's performance has been overlooked by Ledger but Ledger did such an outstanding performance in general I can understand why. I mean you couldn't even tell it was Ledger (voice, make-up etc), he really up'd his game for this role. Add to that the tradgedy of his death it becomes very easy to overlook all the other actors in the movie including that of it's main character. But I agree Bale does deserve more praise than he gets as well as Aaron Eckart. These 3 actors along with Chris Nolan have definantly made of of the greatest cinematic masterpieces in modern history.

Wow, I am surprised to see anyone say that Bale as Bats = boring....

I took enough acting lessons when I was a kid to know that I was AWFUL. Bale is anything but.....he makes it look easy

Ledger MADE the film x10, Nolan did an excellent job but picture Terminator 1 & 2 without Arnold.

thump_381480LastActionHero_cartel.jpg

Tah-Daaaah :D

Lets not forget that Bale has a welsh accent that he covers up in most of his movies..that might be something that took a lot of practice to master.

It will always be like this however, especially when someone has passed. I can honestly say though Ledger OWNED that movie, hands down. Bale was awesome, i mean, hardly anyone even mentions how fantastic Aaron Eckhart's performance was too, once his spirit was truly broken. But Ledger just stole it all, and that's what majority of people will see. To be honest, i think Bale is a bit overrated, he's one of my favorite actors and has countless fantastic performances, but he just happened to pick alot of good films along the way, giving him the cult following. Many of his performances are also very bland and so so imo.
Bale can definately nail the accents also btw, apparently he makes it a point that, he tries to (and usually succeeds) to put a different American dialect/accent, on every film that requires the yanky accent. eg in one he'll be a new yorker, one a philly, one a californian etc etc. even when they are only just slightly different, he still usually nails it, but he's been doing it since he was an ankle bighter, so he's had alot of practice i suppose :D

Back