Which reboot did it better?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which did it better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to go with Amazing Spider-man. Man of Steel is up there, but I feel Amazing Spider-man did it better. Not ONLY with Peter Parker himself, but it also built the development of the REST of the cast, something that MoS lacked outside of Superman.

Coming out of both movies, I was much more pleased and excited about ASM than I was MoS. And considering how they're doing with Amazing Spider-man 2 and the excitement THAT is generating shows there was much more confidence behind that than what MoS did. Unfortunately Superman can't get a sequel on his own and Batman has to be thrown into the mix.

Yeah i'm not pysched about that.

ASM gets my vote. I pretty much knew what to expect from it and it didn't exceed or fall short of that expectation. MOS.....it tried something different......and it just came up short.

ASM and SM are both about Peter Parker's origin, down to his uncle getting killed, and a mentor/sympathetic scientist who uses green chemicals to turn him into a supervillain. There are superficial differences (Gwen Stacey, the Lizard, Peter's parents, etc.) but it's still a beat for beat retelling of the 2002 film.
I wouldn't really call Osborn a mentor, since he doesn't really teach Peter much or bond with him. Sympathetic in some ways but not a mentor or fully sympathetic. Otherwise, the films are pretty similar yeah, such as the ending with Peter nearly pushing off the love interest.

On topic, ASM. I was pretty pleased with it such as Gwen doing more than MJ did in the trilogy, Garfield being a bit different from Maguire's (more in that he isn't really nerdy, just an outcast), and Aunt May and Uncle Ben were interesting in this version to me. I could not follow Man of Steel for the life of me with the random jump cuts to the past and present, and it sacrificed story for action at times. It was cool, and the action was at least ok but I just couldn't enjoy it fully. The ending felt forced with the Daily Bugle, should have been saved for the sequel. Well, before it was going to have Batman anyway.

Also the people who say the sequel needs Batman. :lol Probably true.

Neither one made a huge impression on me. I thought ASM was entertaining and well-intentioned enough while I was watching it, but it didn't really stick with me much past the drive home.

MoS gets the slight edge for me. Yeah, the wanton destruction and needlessly convoluted plot knocked points off for me. But I thought some of the performances were really nice, Costner's in particular. Ultimately, the star for me was Hans Zimmer's amazing score.

Hmmm, if there was some JW score in the MOS movie i would for sure have to add some points to MOS.

(It cannot be underestimated)

Both scores were forgettable. (Raimi's Movies win in that Dept.)

MoS all the way. Zod was great, anyone who disagrees should die in their sleep. :monkey3

Poor Zod and Lizard. All they wanted to do was help, but these "heroes" came in to just to maintain the status quo.

They didn't once consider that perhaps mankind would be better as evolved superior reptile lifeforms or that Earth would be treated better by Kryptonians than what us Humans have done to it.

I vote MoS simply because I liked the movie better overall. Amazing Spider-Man was a total shock to me, though. I wasn't expecting much. In fact, I didn't want to watch it at all.

I didn't either. But I got a free ticket from the superior Raimi films on Blu, so 50 cents to see that thing wasn't too bad.

I wanted my money back afterwards. It was worse then I could've ever imagined.

I didn't find ASM to be crap. I merely didn't come away feeling any differently about it than what I thought going in - ''is a reboot really necessary?'' The answer was no not really. Shoulda just made another sequel to Raimi's films.

Back