Which is the better Joker.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Joker puts a smile on your face?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys talk about the scanned DCD, yet I don't see a likeness any better than the HT sculpt. But I haven't seen the film yet either. The reason I prefer the HT sculpt purely based on photos is that it appears to exude more personality.

You guys talk about the scanned DCD, yet I don't see a likeness any better than the HT sculpt. But I haven't seen the film yet either. The reason I prefer the HT sculpt purely based on photos is that it appears to exude more personality.

See post 28 in this thread. DCD sculpt with some more hair added by Les Walker (and a super repaint by him also).

Here's DC Directs:
9617_a_full.jpg

Here's Hot Toys':
370DSC_1384a_3x4.jpg

I'd say it's a tie. Neither got a "dead-on" sculpt of Heath. While DC's likeness might be a tad closer, Hot Toys managed to capture the personality and haggart look a lot better. Then there's the details. Hot Toys wins hands down there. From the socks to the wallet chain, it works. Let's also not forget that the Hot Toys body is considerably better (in articulation and scale) than the weird body (cut joints and all) that DC uses for their 1:6 scale line. But hey, if both bother you that much, there's always the Tim Curry version:

9079_a_full.jpg

Debate over! Les' altered DCD scupt with CUSTOM clothing:

MYJOKER023.jpg

HEATH LEDGER AS THE JOKER from The Dark Knight
Original custom figure, by Les Walker and BillyB
Using some DC Direct Joker figure parts

MYJOKER020.jpg

MYJOKER021.jpg

MYJOKER025.jpg

MYJOKER029.jpg

MYJOKER031.jpg

MYJOKER032.jpg

MYJOKER018.jpg

While Les did his usual awesome job, that figure doesn't mean anything towards the topic of this thread.

Just like we compare the performance of cars against each other, stock vs stock. These figures should be compared as they come out of the box.

Out of the box, the HT trumps the DCD.

That comic book Joker would be so much better with a different mouth. Just MUCH less gum, really.

I'm pleased with my DCD version but have yet to see a HT in person. I'm not willing to spend that kind of dough on any figure, but the photos of it do look awesome.

As luck would have it yesterday I received my Hot Toys Joker in the post and then happened to see the DCD version in a shop. I can understand those who say DCD is better because it is a better likeness of Ledger - it was scanned after all - and yet, I much preferred the Hot Toys because the massive amounts of detail compel the eye far more to look at it, and once you're looking at it, you get a serious dose of Joker - you're drawn into the evil in his face. With DCD you just look at it, and that's it - you can admire it for being accurate but it doesn't draw you in. And weirdly, the HT sculpt has more personality than the DCD sculpt - which was taken straight off the actors face!

And in case I haven't made myself clear, the HT Joker is one figure that really does need to be seen in real life to get the full effect - photos don't do it justice, IMHO.

Only paid $58.49 from DCBS for my DCD Joker, so I voted DCD. Not planning on spending what Hot Toys wants. The sculpt just looks to craggy to me. All those line on his face should be from make coming off the Jokers face not deep wrinkles.

As luck would have it yesterday I received my Hot Toys Joker in the post and then happened to see the DCD version in a shop. I can understand those who say DCD is better because it is a better likeness of Ledger - it was scanned after all - and yet, I much preferred the Hot Toys because the massive amounts of detail compel the eye far more to look at it, and once you're looking at it, you get a serious dose of Joker - you're drawn into the evil in his face. With DCD you just look at it, and that's it - you can admire it for being accurate but it doesn't draw you in. And weirdly, the HT sculpt has more personality than the DCD sculpt - which was taken straight off the actors face!

And in case I haven't made myself clear, the HT Joker is one figure that really does need to be seen in real life to get the full effect - photos don't do it justice, IMHO.

I totally agree, but I am still waiting on my HT joker to arrive, I hope when I see it in person It :rocks even more then looking at the pics.

Only paid $58.49 from DCBS for my DCD Joker, so I voted DCD. Not planning on spending what Hot Toys wants. The sculpt just looks to craggy to me. All those line on his face should be from make coming off the Jokers face not deep wrinkles.

its really not that deep in person, at all. and thats not a bad deal for that dcd joker!

*edges in carefully*

Well I like both makes of Joker, but for different reasons.

The HT Joker has the most superb trailering, and when it comes to such a complicated set of clothes he wears, thats quite an important part of the equation really. Also the attention to detail in throughout the figure is amazing. The sculpt on the gloves, how beautifully the hair has been rendered etc.

Sadly, no, it doesn't look much like the actor at all. Also as it's been mentioned before the face has been 'over sculpted' rather which doesn't help matters.

As far as the DC one goes. I very much like the head, even though it suffers from a rather bland finish. It still looks more like Ledger then the HT one does sadly.

The cloths on the CD one are okay, but miles inferior to what HT supplied, but then given the price what do you expect?

The body underneath is appalling, with very, very poor articulation. And of course it doesn't help that the size is so out of scale with other figures.

I'm slowly trying to scrap the money together to get bot, as I want to have a go myself at customizing the DC head.

I made this photoshop image of the DC head just to see what could be done with the DC head if a really good paint job, and a wee bit of re sculpting was done concerning the hair.

I transplanted the HT hair onto the DC head to see how that style of sculpted hair would look. I brought the hairline down somewhat too, as I feel that the there's far too much forehead showing. I also took parts of parts of Ledgers make-up and overlaid it onto the figures head in places to give it more accurate colouring. Bringing the black around his eyes out more etc.

head3kk3.jpg

headhero2hx7.jpg

This shows you that there is a lot of potential in this head, it just needs a good customizer to bring it out, sadly. This would be an ideal version for me, which is pretty much what Les has done with his.

As others on here have said I have high hopes that a V2 HT Joker will be released, and that will have a likeness that will really do the rest of this figure justice.

So to sum up. You get what you pay for and that both figures have their weaknesses and their strengths. :eek:

Last edited:
*edges in carefully*

Well I like both makes of Joker, but for different reasons.

The HT Joker has the most superb trailering, and when it comes to such a complicated set of clothes he wears, thats quite an important part of the equation really. Also the attention to detail in throughout the figure is amazing. The sculpt on the gloves, how beautifully the hair has been rendered etc.

Sadly, no, it doesn't look much like the actor at all. Also as it's been mentioned before the face has been 'over sculpted' rather which doesn't help matters.

As far as the DC one goes. I very much like the head, even though it suffers from a rather bland finish. It still looks more like Ledger then the HT one does sadly.

The cloths on the CD one are okay, but miles inferior to what HT supplied, but then given the price what do you expect?

The body underneath is appalling, with very, very poor articulation. And of course it doesn't help that the size is so out of scale with other figures.

I'm slowly trying to scrap the money together to get bot, as I want to have a go myself at customizing the DC head.

I made this photoshop image of the DC head just to see what could be done with the DC head if a really good paint job, and a wee bit of re sculpting was done concerning the hair.

I transplanted the HT hair onto the DC head to see how that style of sculpted hair would look. I brought the hairline down somewhat too, as I feel that the there's far too much forehead showing. I also took parts of parts of Ledgers make-up and overlaid it onto the figures head in places to give it more accurate colouring. Bringing the black around his eyes out more etc.

head3kk3.jpg

headheroxt6.jpg

This shows you that there is a lot of potential in this head, it just needs a good customizer to bring it out, sadly. This would be an ideal version for me, which is pretty much what Les has done with his.

As others on here have said I have high hopes that a V2 HT Joker will be released, and that will have a likeness that will really do the rest of this figure justice.

So to sum up. You get what you pay for and that both figures have their weaknesses and their strengths. :eek:

Oh wow that looks amazing!

Hot Toys. Probably wouldn't have said that a month ago, since I really like the DCD version's headsculpt, but I received my HT version last week and, like a previous poster said, seeing it in person really blows any and all pictures taken of it away. It's a gorgeous figure, and even if it doesn't really look like Ledger, it looks like The Joker.

DC Direct does look more like Ledger, but thats the only plus to me. HT is better for everything else.

DC Direct does look more like Ledger, but thats the only plus to me. HT is better for everything else.

I'd say other than the mouth and maybe eye balls nothing else looks like Ledger in the DCD sculpt. It does look best i'll admit but its just too cartoonish in the end.

Hot Toys. Probably wouldn't have said that a month ago, since I really like the DCD version's headsculpt, but I received my HT version last week and, like a previous poster said, seeing it in person really blows any and all pictures taken of it away. It's a gorgeous figure, and even if it doesn't really look like Ledger, it looks like The Joker.

Well ain't that the Truth.

And Welcome cr0w! :welcome

Seasoned Collectors know no pictures can truly represent what a figure looks like in hand.

Judging by the poll, I think we can put this debate to bed. :lol

Back