What's your favorite game series?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monger

Super Freak
Reaction score
What's your favorite game series and why? Also as a bonus comment on your thoughts about the high end collectibles aspect of that series. Obviously for some there probably aren't any at all.

By far my favorite game franchise is Castlevania. I have been a lover of Castlevania since I was a kid and to this day they still make great titles. I find that, aside from the occasional black sheep, the Castlevania franchise has been surprisingly consistent in its ability to frequently release terrific games. By far my favorites in the franchise are Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Circle of the Moon, and Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. It always amazes me how the Castlevania series can grave just about every single system to ever exist and it does so brilliantly. Pretty much every console and handheld can boast having a terrific game that is a Castlevania title.

As for what I like about the games, it's everything. I love the perfect blend of platforming and combat. The older games were more linear, but they went with a Metroid style in the more recent games and both systems work very well. Even the recent reboot, Lords of Shadow, manages to feel very much like Castlevania and retain that great blend of combat and adventure. The games also have my favorite music overall of any franchise. The songs are so iconic and each title provides excellent new additions to the overall music score. The lore of Castlevania is great too. I love the enemies, the settings, and even the base idea of whipping Dracula to death literally. Also the art direction has been fascinating. I love Ayami Kojima's art style. It's a perfect blend of an eccentric Japanese style combined with gothic European classical style. It breaks my heart whenever they don't use her for Castlevania games as to me she has really defined the lore of the franchise.

As for collectibles I wish the Castlevania games had PFs or something similar. I think they would highly benefit from PFs in particular because their intricate outfits would be perfect for mixed media. At the top of my list would be Shanoa, Dracula and Julius. My favorite Castlevania character is Julius and I hope one day he gets his own game detailing how he was the one to truly save the world from Dracula, as stated in the Dawn of Sorrow and Aria of Sorrow games.

I hope to one day own every good Castlevania game out there, which is pretty much all of them :lol

Metal Gear Solid... but the last few games and future games are making me question my faith.

At the moment its Resident Evil. But it hasnt always been. My #1 for years was Legacy of Kain. I also was (and stilll are) a really big fan of Syphon filter & Parasite eve. But thoes 3 franchises have pretty much stopped dead. Im a huge Tekken fan, but i wouldnt put it in my top gaming franchises as its just a fight game. Same for Gran Turismo, love it but i wouldnt put it in the top tier due to the nature.

My favorite game of all time is LOK: Soul Reaver. Loved the characters, settings, stories, characters designs, combat system & spectral shifting. I also think its got 1 of the the best sound tracks of anything ever.

GTA IV is the more "sophisticated" game in its presentation... really the "acting" and script is pretty damn commendable for video games.

Anyways, hard to choose a favorite... but I guess I'd have to default to Final Fantasy because I've enjoyed most of them. These days, I seem to like looking at games more than playing. I love a lot of the art direction in their main titles and spin-offs.

Last edited:
Always a toss up between Resident Evil and Legend of Zelda.

LoZ came first, as the original LoZ was the first game i ever played. I've played and loved nearly every single one.

Resident Evil tends to keep the throne though. I enjoy the convoluted stories and over the top characters. Also the creature design is some of the best around (at least in first few games)

Not what I would consider a series, but Id say Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game. But if I had to pick a series It would probably be Assassins Creed. A close second would Be Resident Evil.

Resident Evil. Although its far from the survival horror it started out as. Now its just a shoot 'em up game, a good one, but a shoot 'em up game nonetheless.

Tomb Raider was longtime favorite too. The Legend/Anniversary/Underworld series was pretty good but really the franchise peaked with TR2.

The Arkham Batman games are my current favorite. Hoping they evetually get to a full-on Gotham City sandbox, but there's a lot that would have to go into that.

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid are the top two franchises that come to mind. Of course I have favorite single entries here and there such as Chrono Trigger, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Silent Hill, Dead Space, and some of the Final Fantasy's to name a few.

Zelda and the Dragon Quest series, except that crap that came out on the Wii.....dragon quest swords=crap

Tough to say. Heroes of Might and Magic was cool until 3DO sold the rights. I love Castlevania but don't like the recent direction it has taken. My love affair with Streets of Rage was resparked by the fan remake but I may be slightly (or strongly) blinded by nostalgia.

I'll go with Team Fortress. With the insane amount of updates TF2 has received over the years, it has always managed to remain moderately fresh.

Back