Media List Your Top 5 Most Disappointing Games!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameson Rook

Super Freak
Reaction score
There are certainly games where you could have sworn they would be good, but ended up disappointing you in one way or another. Games that you were looking forward to, hyped about where the end result was more hampering rather than exciting. Games that failed to meet your expectation. Only one game per franchise!

I'll start with mine and a brief summary of why.

5. Batman Arkham Knight.

While nowhere near being a "bad" game, Arkham Knight has the most predictable twist in comic book history and an over reliance of the Batmobile. Still a fantastic game all around, but as a hardcore Batman fan, you can't help but wished it would have been more.

4. Gran Turismo 5.

What could have been the premier racing title of all time was soiled by so many delays and a ton of patches to fix the game post launch. A disparity between car models, a lack of innovation and clunky interface twists the knife even further.

3. Tomb Raider reboot.

Gone are the exploration, serene environments, majestic music and a sense of awe and wonder. Let's make it a pretentious Uncharted clone instead!

2. Resident Evil 5/6.

A complete disregard of what made the series great in favor of what the current demographic are into.

1. Metal Gear Solid V.

An incompetent, overhyped entry to an overly bloated series that should quit when it had a good run 15 years ago. A game that should have never existed.

1. Aliens: Colonial Marines / Duke Nukem Forever

2. Assassin's Creed III / Batman: Arkham Knight

3. SW Battlefront EA / Dead Space 2

5. Batman: Arkham Knight

Pretty much the same reasons you listed. Season of Infamy redeems it a bit tho. The gameplay (fighting) is perfected in this one, so it's the most fun in the series for me.

4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

The first one is my favorite game of all time, so I guess it was inevitable that this would be a disappointment. I really hate the omission of the GB Horror's first-person "scanning" mode, plus they removed all of the unique humanoid ghosts. It feels more like a "Mario" game.

Online multiplayer is the best thing about it, and is actually really fun! The game isn't "bad", just disappointing.

3. Spider-Man: Edge of Time

Isn't bad as a game, but definitely not as good as Shattered Dimensions.

2. Yooka-Laylee

Overhyped Kickstarter garbage. If you want to relive a "classic" Rare platformer, play a classic Rare platformer.

1. Star Wars: Battlefront

It gets boring fast. Hopefully the second one will be better.

Aliens colonial marines ... That game was disappointing enough for all five slots haha. I played the multiplayer beta at E3 and it was fantastic, brilliant graphics and really fun game play - I could not wait for the release. What happened on the games release has been well publicised so I won't go into it detail here again but wow what a way to drop the ball! Awful graphics, clunky game play, bad single player mode with an ridiculous and unconvincing story twist that retconned the alien franchise which may or may not now be cannon (don't know if Fox even cares at this point).... Sadness

4. Gran Turismo 5.

What could have been the premier racing title of all time was soiled by so many delays and a ton of patches to fix the game post launch. A disparity between car models, a lack of innovation and clunky interface twists the knife even further.
Did you not mean Gran Tursmo 6? I thought 5 was great, 6 is the one i hated that came out and didnt even have the B spec mode which is what i put like 75% of my time into on the last game.

MGSV
Gran Tursmo 6
I've got about 1200 hours on it, but Dark Souls 3. Too Bloodborny. And i like Bloodborney.
Arkham City. The Free Roam Ruins it.

Dont know about a 5th, ive probably got about 25 but thoes off the top of my head as i have access to them infront of me.

Oh wait, RE outbreak. Trashhhhhh. Bought a ps2, the games, put some time aside. Wasnt fun at all.

I'm too lazy to develop a proper order, but here goes.

Resident Evil 7 - This was super hyped, and it was a complete dud. Now I understand they wanted simple gameplay, but I feel they regressed this far too much. Boring enemy design with no real variety with them either. I played through it once and never did it again.

Beyond: Two Souls - Now Heavy Rain has got issues with the plot that don't make any sense, but I still loved it throughout and never thought I'd like a QTE game. Now B2S comes out... I was so horrendously let down with it... disjointed story... and a story I really didn't care about. And that prick David Cage had the balls to tease a sequel with the ending that would never happen. Again, played once and never touched it again. His next game Detroit I fully believe will be horse **** as well.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Where to even begin? Another unneeded venture of Kojima tackling even more redundant back story to Big Boss. It's completely apparent that Kojima didn't understand what made sandbox games great. Ousting Hayter for a guy that didn't even speak. Completely changing character personas from what has been established for decades. Ocelot being the voice of reason? Liquid Snake and Mantis are in it... why? Skull Face was an awful villain that we didn't even fight... just stared at him in a jeep for 10 minutes. And then we fight a dumb Gundam at the end. I'll leave it there, since I've made my other issues quite known here for two years now on it.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Now I'm not going to trash it, even though it has problems. But the pedigree it should of lived up to which was established in MGS2, was given such a third rate conclusion. Bloated hour long cutscenes that were beaten over the head with. Completely taking everything shown in MGS2 as literal. Snake's outlook on life going from hopeful and changing the world for the better to I WANNA DIE KILLING MY CLONE BROTHER'S GHOST IN MY CLONE FATHER'S FANBOY! Ugh. It's a good game. But let me down immensely.

I cannot think of a fifth that truly affected me right now.

Every single Assassins Creed game after 2

Mighty No 9

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil Outbreak 2

Why Outbreak 2? I'll admit aside from the RPD and maybe the Subway, the maps are dull.

I totally understand why you got 0 on there though.

I try to keep my expectations reasonably low, but there have been instances where that's been impossible. Only four games come to mind, though.

Sonic Adventure (Sega Dreamcast)

Growing up, I didn’t own an NES or SNES. The Genesis was my jam, and Sonic was practically my hero. I loved that character and his early 2D titles, so when Sega adapted Sonic to the 3D era with Sonic Adventure, I hoped that it would rival the extraordinary Super Mario 64. I was sorely disappointed. Not only did the 3D environments inhibit the quality of speed that Sonic was renowned for, but the game’s pacing was frequently obstructed by silly subplots and characters. And voice acting in a Sonic game? No thanks. I haven’t played any of the 3D Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2, but I’m of the opinion that Sonic’s best adventures were in 2D and that’s where he should remain.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo GameCube)

Twilight Princess had what was arguably the strongest dungeon design in all of the 3D Zelda games, yet the game, at the time of release, did very little for me. Granted, my expectations were unreasonably high as it was only a few years prior that Nintendo had released my favourite Zelda game and my favourite game of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Whereas TWW was colourful and expressive, TP looked and felt muddy, washed out and devoid of heart. Maybe I’d feel differently about it today as it’s been years since I last played it, but I can’t help but associate the game with the disappointment and detachment that I felt back in 2006.

Resident Evil 4 (Nintendo GameCube)

After the release of Resident Evil: Zero, when gamers and critics alike were clamouring for gameplay revisions to the original formula, I never wanted the series to deviate from convention; but it did with RE4, and it did to such a jarring extent that I thought I’d lost interest in my favourite game series. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t like RE4. More than that, I loved RE5 and, to me, it felt like a return to form, at least in terms of story and atmosphere, even despite the co-op and action-oriented components. To this day, RE4 reminds me of the lingering taste of bitterness that I’d experienced after completing it back in 2005.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Sony PlayStation 4)

In hindsight, MGS4 had some excellent ideas that were unfortunately overshadowed by excessive plot convolution and ridiculous story arcs. MGS2 is my favourite game in the series and one that, prior to the release of 4, I’d played through too many times to count. I was expecting the series to advance but not to the point of disorientation and alienation that I feel MGS4 ultimately offered. Suffice it to say, MGS4 left a terrible taste in my mouth. I will add, however, that I’ve come to appreciate the game far more than I initially did now that MGS5 has been released.

I try to keep my expectations reasonably low, but there have been instances where that's been impossible. Only four games come to mind, though.

Sonic Adventure (Sega Dreamcast)

Growing up, I didn’t own an NES or SNES. The Genesis was my jam, and Sonic was practically my hero. I loved that character and his early 2D titles, so when Sega adapted Sonic to the 3D era with Sonic Adventure, I hoped that it would rival the extraordinary Super Mario 64. I was sorely disappointed. Not only did the 3D environments inhibit the quality of speed that Sonic was renowned for, but the game’s pacing was frequently obstructed by silly subplots and characters. And voice acting in a Sonic game? No thanks. I haven’t played any of the 3D Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2, but I’m of the opinion that Sonic’s best adventures were in 2D and that’s where he should remain.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo GameCube)

Twilight Princess had what was arguably the strongest dungeon design in all of the 3D Zelda games, yet the game, at the time of release, did very little for me. Granted, my expectations were unreasonably high as it was only a few years prior that Nintendo had released my favourite Zelda game and my favourite game of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Whereas TWW was colourful and expressive, TP looked and felt muddy, washed out and devoid of heart. Maybe I’d feel differently about it today as it’s been years since I last played it, but I can’t help but associate the game with the disappointment and detachment that I felt back in 2006.

Resident Evil 4 (Nintendo GameCube)

After the release of Resident Evil: Zero, when gamers and critics alike were clamouring for gameplay revisions to the original formula, I never wanted the series to deviate from convention; but it did with RE4, and it did to such a jarring extent that I thought I’d lost interest in my favourite game series. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t like RE4. More than that, I loved RE5 and, to me, it felt like a return to form, at least in terms of story and atmosphere, even despite the co-op and action-oriented components. To this day, RE4 reminds me of the lingering taste of bitterness that I’d experienced after completing it back in 2005.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Sony PlayStation 4)

In hindsight, MGS4 had some excellent ideas that were unfortunately overshadowed by excessive plot convolution and ridiculous story arcs. MGS2 is my favourite game in the series and one that, prior to the release of 4, I’d played through too many times to count. I was expecting the series to advance but not to the point of disorientation and alienation that I feel MGS4 ultimately offered. Suffice it to say, MGS4 left a terrible taste in my mouth. I will add, however, that I’ve come to appreciate the game far more than I initially did now that MGS5 has been released.

My sentiments exactly. Seeing MGS4 now from a distance in light of what came out two years ago, makes it look like Goodfellas by comparison. Amazing to think it looks visually better too.

My sentiments exactly. Seeing MGS4 now from a distance in light of what came out two years ago, makes it look like Goodfellas by comparison. Amazing to think it looks visually better too.

Yep -- the voice acting is there, the characters are true to form, the narrative is focussed... if nothing else, The Phantom Pain has allowed us to see how good we once had it. MGS4 might coincide with Kojima's budding ego, but MGS5 was the culmination of his misguided sense of self-importance. The game suffered as a result.

Yep -- the voice acting is there, the characters are true to form, the narrative is focussed... if nothing else, The Phantom Pain has allowed us to see how good we once had it. MGS4 might coincide with Kojima's budding ego, but MGS5 was the culmination of his misguided sense of self-importance. The game suffered as a result.

Couldn't of stated it better. MGS4 stumbles, but there was plenty of enjoyment to be had within it.

Arkham Knight - Love the designs and visuals. But ****, wish I didn't have to wait nearly 2 years to be able to play it properly.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Garbage.

Lost Odyssey - Great way to fall the **** asleep.

4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

The first one is my favorite game of all time, so I guess it was inevitable that this would be a disappointment. I really hate the omission of the GB Horror's first-person "scanning" mode, plus they removed all of the unique humanoid ghosts. It feels more like a "Mario" game.

Online multiplayer is the best thing about it, and is actually really fun! The game isn't "bad", just disappointing.

I still need to play the original GC Luigi's Mansion. I've heard so many conflicting opinions on it.

Did you not mean Gran Tursmo 6? I thought 5 was great, 6 is the one i hated that came out and didnt even have the B spec mode which is what i put like 75% of my time into on the last game.

Well, actually GT5 turned me off the series so much so that I never bought GT6. I'm a huge GT fan and beaten all of them (including GT PSP). I hope GT Sports will bring back the glory.

Resident Evil 7 - This was super hyped, and it was a complete dud. Now I understand they wanted simple gameplay, but I feel they regressed this far too much. Boring enemy design with no real variety with them either. I played through it once and never did it again.

Still holding off for a sale after your "glowing" recommendation. :lol

MGS2 is my favourite game in the series and one that, prior to the release of 4, I’d played through too many times to count.

I don't think any MGS game has lived up to MGS2. It's clear why that game was indeed meant to be the real last game of the series before Kojima was forced to do MGS3 by the fans. And forced again. And again. And again. Sure worked out for the best! :lol

Off the top of my head. . .

Zelda 2: One of my first NES games, and yet I was still disappointed. . .not good.

X-Men (NES): As one of the biggest X-Men comic fans on the planet at the time, I lusted after this when I saw it in the store, and had to have it. And this was back in the day where you had to take a gamble on games, particularly if you couldn't rent them. We didn't have the internet or even magazines you could trust with honest reviews. **** YOU, LJN!!

Street Fighter 3: A lot of hardcore fighting game fans apparently love this game. But it's too far removed from whatever it is that drew me to SF 2. Thankfully, Capcom went back to what their fans wanted from there on. Also, what was with all the wacky new characters?

Sonic 3-D games: Particularly one I had on the Gamecube. Seems like they should have worked really well, and I loved it on the Genesis, but. . .nope.

Super Mario Land: Even as a kid, I knew that game was crummy. I was happy to have any kind of Mario on the go, but. . .just very disappointing in relation to the awesome home versions.

Honorable mentions: WWF WrestleMania (Arcade port) for Super Nintendo--sad excuse for a port of a game I loved in the arcade; Street Fighter Alpha 2 for Super Nintendo--was slow and weird.

I don't even bother with newer games that don't have great ratings. We get a pretty good impression of how a game is reading reviews now, so why would I waste time with those? I have to say that I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 4 quite a bit. But I don't eat, breathe, and drink video games, so I found a way to enjoy the good without dwelling too much on the bad.

I still need to play the original GC Luigi's Mansion. I've heard so many conflicting opinions on it.

Well, actually GT5 turned me off the series so much so that I never bought GT6. I'm a huge GT fan and beaten all of them (including GT PSP). I hope GT Sports will bring back the glory.

Still holding off for a sale after your "glowing" recommendation. :lol

I don't think any MGS game has lived up to MGS2. It's clear why that game was indeed meant to be the real last game of the series before Kojima was forced to do MGS3 by the fans. And forced again. And again. And again. Sure worked out for the best! :lol

Yes wait for the $9.99 RE7 sale. Honestly giving it more thought, it feels like Capcom let an indie team take the reins with it. It's so completely detached to anything even remotely resembling the series. Sure there's some puzzle troupes in there, but that's it.

:lol The game isn't perfect but I feel like its imperfections are more indicative of the time at which it was released than blunders where story, characters, etc. are concerned. It's a bit corny at times and its localization leaves something to be desired, but it really is a remarkable game.

I enjoyed RE7, but I'm a sucker for that genre of horror (I love Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Deliverance, etc.). Was it a massive departure from the series' roots? Yes, in virtually every respect, but after RE4 redefined the series before it, my expectations for RE7 were quite low. I don't think it's worth the current retail price, though, and I'd definitely recommend picking it up at a discount.

You all are going to freak but... Metal Gear Rising Revengance. Would have way rather gotten what was originally shown with an attempt to fill in the gap of MGS2 Raiden and MGS4.

Yeah, it's a great game though. Most of the hate comes from people being disappointed it wasn't another Mario game like 64, since it was a launch title for the GC. It doesn't play like Mario at all.

The beta history for the game is very interesting too; I love reading up on it.

Back