What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I have something in the pipeline as well. ;) Would still be nice to have one from SS.

I'm going to hold out hope for an additional direction for the line. BUSTS ARE A MUST! :rock

Saw that. Outstanding, is it not? I know they're pandering with the marine and winged "dinos" but instead of reptiles, but as long as the wheels are turning and some marine and aerial reptiles are in our future.

True..oddly enough Sideshow's piece would prob be cheaper than RC's up there. I'm waiting to hear back how much he is going to charge...but 5 feet of resin would be a heck of a lot I bet. He also is working on a..get this...1/1 JP Rex head !

SS has already done a Deinosuchus which is not technically a dinosaur..though they managed to get a dinosaur in it regardless.. :D

If they wanted they could get VS pieces easily the same way they did with the Deino. Like we covered before a swimming dinosaur being attacked by a marine predator or maybe a couple Pterosaurs defending their nest from an attacking therapod...all do-able and still having Dinosauria in them.. heh heh

I wouldn't want to have a marine predator attacking a swimming dinosaur. That seems like it would be a gratuitous repeat of the theme in the Deinosuchus piece just for the sake of giving us a marine reptile. Each of these statues is so very original in conception that I'm certain a marine reptile from SS will be very distinct in interpretation.

As to flying reptiles, we have fossilized evidence of pterosaurs in the gut of spinosaurids. There's a diorama for you! Several pterosaurs milling about a spinosaurid and one hanging from its jaws! :rock

Well, "milling about" gives me the image of a pterosaur flock circling around a point of interest. I'd expect them to beat a hasty retreat from a 50 foot predator.

Irritator has been shown running through a flock and attempting to snatch a pterosaur many times.

Age_of_Flying_Reptiles_4_by_patriatyrannus.jpg

Most pterosaurs beat a hasty retreat from therapods though...

Albertosaurus.jpg

Not really part of the discussion..but do you guys have any idea who did the piece above ? I'd love to have a print of it on my wall.

No, wait. I found the ultimate source material for a maquette.

224395.jpg

Because it's always more interesting when they're from Beverly Hills!

That above image is a T.rex startling a pair of Quetzalcoatlus by Raul Martin. He's done some spectacular work...

pliosaur.jpg

deinosuchus_n.jpg

sarcosuchus.jpg

tyrannosau_pai.jpg

cretaceoussea.jpg

These are some random favorites of mine which he has done. I also recommend the "National Geographic Dinosaurs" book which he illustrated entirely.

I asked him about originals a few years back. Pricey of course, but I don't recall what he said about prints.

I'd def prefer a print.. ;)

I have a 38 x 27" frame here above the comp I would love to have a nice Dino print in. Right now it has a JP:TLW pinball translite in it ( that needs to be moved and have a lighted frame built..lol )

Stegosaurus
Triceratops

I'm not as big into the dioramas as much as the dinos on their own.

Right on track with my thoughts. I like the solo pieces, and the Stegosaurus is my all time favorite. In gradeschool I made a paper mache figure of my own. It was put in storage and eaten by rats, unfortunately.

Would also love an Apatosaurus (or Brontosaurus as we said when I was a kid). The "old school" dinos that were part of my childhood are the ones that appeal to me. "Carnatosaurus", to give one example, just doesn't resonate me for that reason.

I don't know about that. The Carnotaurus is a relatively recent discovery, one that I didn't know as a kid either. Yet when I look at Sideshow's maquette, there is a palpable resonance emanating from that fearsome, lunging creature.

6carn.jpg

To each his own though, I suppose. :D

I think the first exposure a lot of people had was the red and black JP figure. :lol I still never got around to purchasing one of those. With a piece like the SS maquette in my possession, I just can't fathom why I should purchase one, particularly when they sell MIB for more than the SS maquette for some unfathomable reason. :duh

Yeah, I noticed that. Irksome really, especially when I missed getting one from a flea market a few years back. But it's a relatively obscure figure; I suspect most people first encountered the Carnotaurus in Disney's Dinosaur.

I don't know about that. The Carnotaurus is a relatively recent discovery, one that I didn't know as a kid either. Yet when I look at Sideshow's maquette, there is a palpable resonance emanating from that fearsome, lunging creature.

To each his own though, I suppose. :D

:D

Teasing aside, I do think I get your underlying point of view, which I would interpret something like this: These creatures lived 65-230 million years ago. The fact that we discover the remains of a given species 10, 50 or 100 years earlier than another does not make it of any intrinsically greater significance, and it is sensible to embrace modern finds with the same enthusiasm and wonder given to the older.

Still though, for me, a lot of the magic is the association with childhood, and what I want to collect as an adult is the imagery of those remembered moments. Event the Styracosaurus and the Parasaurolophus (which I just learned some fascinating things about from the recent Discovery Channel shows) are just outside my childhood canon.

For me, T-Rex, Triceratops, Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus and (non-dino) Pterodactyl will always be tops.

Last edited:
Those are the most recognizable to this day, yes. I suppose it depends on the decade of one's upbringing, as well. A few decades ago, nobody expected a typical American child to know what a "raptor" was.

Those are the most recognizable to this day, yes. I suppose it depends on the decade of one's upbringing, as well. A few decades ago, nobody expected a typical American child to know what a "raptor" was.

Right, I surely didn't, until Jurassic Park. Also, you make a good distinction between what was known to the Paleontologists and what made it into the low level popular synopses. No doubt a lot more was available than what trickled down into the accounts I was accessing.

Popular culture def helps in the decesion of which pieces to make... and I'm sure a sauropod will be popular..but I've no clue how they are going to do it...outside of the hatchling Brachiosaur in the ornament that is. I wouldn't want a head much smaller than that to preserve the detail in it..so we would def be talking a larger piece than the rest of the line.

Back