What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strain trilogy by Hogan and Del Torro - good read! All 3 books

It is. It's clearly written to be made into a movie (or in this case, a miniseries), but good nonetheless.

Right now reading Pandemic by my current favorite author, Scott Sigler. Excellent stuff, but all his stuff is.

151233.jpg

I decided to give the Song of Ice and Fire books a read. The first two novels went pretty quick, but on Storm of Swords I'm finding the Sam and Daenerys chapters to be brick walls.

Just finished "reading" (i.e. listened to audiobook) Star Wars Honor Among Thieves. It featured Han doing a mission for the Rebels soon after ANH. It was pretty good. The story felt very quick and it was great to listen to a Han-centric story. The voice actor that did Han was spot on. I did like Scoundrels a little bit better though.

580517FC-21BB-4660-A7C5-17816132DD08.JPG

Really good book so far, bout halfway through. Its a brief history of the origins of comics and how they were influenced by early spiritualism and the occult. Gives a lot of good info about occultism as well- important personalities and influential organizations and movements. What we see today with comics closely mirrors the roles played by heroes from Greek mythology-

"It is precisely the reverential treatment of these characters-the essentially religious portrayal of them-that resonates with the mass audience today. We have, in fact, witnessed the emergence of a strange kind of religion here. Indeed, superheroes now play for us the role once played by the gods of ancient societies. Fans today dont pray to Superman or Batman-or at least most wont admit to doing so. But when you see fans dressed as their favorite heroes at comic conventions, you are seeing the same type of worship that once played out in the ancient pagan world, where celebrants dressed up as the objects of their worship and enacted their dramas in festivals and ceremonies"

Back